Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious when new % markdowns happen. My store has been liquidating for about 2 weeks now. They are at the 30% mark. I want to make sure I keep going until they throw new games into the mix (they are still renting them), but showing up every day is a bit much.

I didn't know if there is a specific day when they are told to change the %.

Much props to super_dawn for everything; this has been my favorite thread to check out on here. The $5 sales kept me and my friend busy checking all the HWVs around town and kept us well stocked in games. Thanks again, and good luck super_dawn.

my local store had it's last day today
games were 90% off and all movies were $.49

was a wrestling whore
picked up
PS2 WWE SVR 2008 $1.30
GC WWE D.O.R $.80
GC WWE D.O.R 2 $1.00
and three movies that ppl never even heard of

passed on incredible hulk and indiana jones staff of kings for PS2
my backlog is wayyy too big as it is

R.I.P local hollywood

[quote name='Interfeci']Unless you quit being a CAG, you'll always be able to talk games. Ha.
[/QUOTE]

Very true...more time to check out other threads. :)

[quote name='Zippon']Yeah, it's the monstrous double-sided twelve-footer that dominates the store. All the other shelving did indeed sell out really fast, but this has been marked down $3k, $2500, $2k, $1800, and now $1200. Tomorrow is their last day, so I'll go today and take another look. Do you know if it breaks down into sections, Dawn? It's hard to tell.[/QUOTE]

I do believe it breaks into three separate sections...but I could be wrong. Hopefully they'll lower the price for you! Good luck!

[quote name='Kelegacy']I'm curious when new % markdowns happen. My store has been liquidating for about 2 weeks now. They are at the 30% mark. I want to make sure I keep going until they throw new games into the mix (they are still renting them), but showing up every day is a bit much.

I didn't know if there is a specific day when they are told to change the %.[/QUOTE]

As quoted from the updated OP, "

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps! "

;) It was a Wednesday when we started selling off our New Release Game Rentals...but obviously there is no set day for price drops.

I called a local HWV that was closing and asked if they were having a storewide sale and the chick on the phone said only some things were on sale... what gives?

Has anyone been lucky enough to get a disc buffer? At all the stores around here I was told they weren't selling them when they first were having the closing sale, only to find this week that they had all been sold. Not sure what the going rate for one of those was, but I really would have at least liked the opportunity to get one.

[quote name='super_dawn']Sure! I've closed down 4 stores now...basically they have someone from an outside source (I'm not sure who exactly...it might vary) who just buys absolutely all the rest of the product left in the store at 90% off. Some outside company that buys bulk product I'm guessing. Other than that...thats all the info I know...except that its a pain in the ass to ring up. ;)[/QUOTE]

the elusive man...

Last Day for the Toms River, NJ store. Only had a bunch of new copies of The Bigs for X-Box, a Madden 08 guide, and assorted art-less PS2/XBox games. Did luck out on Blu-Rays though, got Pinapple Express, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist and Milk for 9.63 total. They oddly had like 15 copies of Pinapple Express left.

[quote name='SelmaBlair']I called a local HWV that was closing and asked if they were having a storewide sale and the chick on the phone said only some things were on sale... what gives?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the closing stores are still renting out some of the games/movies up until a certain date. After that, then all bets are off and everything should be available. You might even see stuff come into your stores that're closing that might not have been there prior, as I've seen some stuff show up that was transferred from other stores.

[quote name='ackbar7']Has anyone been lucky enough to get a disc buffer? At all the stores around here I was told they weren't selling them when they first were having the closing sale, only to find this week that they had all been sold. Not sure what the going rate for one of those was, but I really would have at least liked the opportunity to get one.[/QUOTE]

I asked about the disc buffing machine when I first realized that the one HWV by me was closing. Neither Movie Gallery that I hit up when they were closing had a buffing machine to speak of. However, they told me the other night that they put a SOLD sticker on both the machine and the 360 kiosk in the store to stop people from asking about them.

But apparently I found the site that sold HWV/MG/GC their machines(www.jfjdiscrepair.com )and according to their site a 'single arm' machine is $499.00(http://www.jfjdiscrepair.com/proddetail.php?prod=JFJDIS3 )while a 'double arm' machine is $649.00(http://www.jfjdiscrepair.com/proddetail.php?prod=JFJDISC3 ) and the cleaning/buffing products for the discs themselves range from $1.99 for the cleaning cloths to $13.99 for each of the polishing compounds PER bottle.

So yeah, even if you somehow managed to get the machine cheap on the final day of business, if you plan on cleaning/buffing ALOT of discs you're going to be looking at some potentially steep costs to keep it running.

It's sad all these rental places are going out of business. Everything is going online now, which is good in that it is cheaper, but it kind of feels more heartless.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Apparently, the closing stores are still renting out some of the games/movies up until a certain date. After that, then all bets are off and everything should be available. You might even see stuff come into your stores that're closing that might not have been there prior, as I've seen some stuff show up that was transferred from other stores.

I asked about the disc buffing machine when I first realized that the one HWV by me was closing. Neither Movie Gallery that I hit up when they were closing had a buffing machine to speak of. However, they told me the other night that they put a SOLD sticker on both the machine and the 360 kiosk in the store to stop people from asking about them.

But apparently I found the site that sold HWV/MG/GC their machines(www.jfjdiscrepair.com )and according to their site a 'single arm' machine is $499.00(http://www.jfjdiscrepair.com/proddetail.php?prod=JFJDIS3 )while a 'double arm' machine is $649.00(http://www.jfjdiscrepair.com/proddetail.php?prod=JFJDISC3 ) and the cleaning/buffing products for the discs themselves range from $1.99 for the cleaning cloths to $13.99 for each of the polishing compounds PER bottle.

So yeah, even if you somehow managed to get the machine cheap on the final day of business, if you plan on cleaning/buffing ALOT of discs you're going to be looking at some potentially steep costs to keep it running.[/QUOTE]

I saw two disc buffers tonight both clearly marked $300. That's nonsense. You can buy virtually the same machine from the same company for about 170.

[quote name='mook8515']It's sad all these rental places are going out of business. Everything is going online now, which is good in that it is cheaper, but it kind of feels more heartless.[/QUOTE]
They said the same thing when machines replaced the assembly lines in most factories.

[quote name='ackbar7']Has anyone been lucky enough to get a disc buffer? At all the stores around here I was told they weren't selling them when they first were having the closing sale, only to find this week that they had all been sold. Not sure what the going rate for one of those was, but I really would have at least liked the opportunity to get one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

So yeah, even if you somehow managed to get the machine cheap on the final day of business, if you plan on cleaning/buffing ALOT of discs you're going to be looking at some potentially steep costs to keep it running.[/QUOTE]

yea...correct info here. Our disc buffer was indeed $649 for our double arm machine. However...costs wouldn't be too bad. You would need two bottles (blue and white) and you really would not need to buy the cleaning cloths because we ended up just using micro fiber cloths eventually anyway. Once you apply the cream to the buffing surface and rub it in...oh god this is sounding dirty :lol:...you do not have to reapply after each disc buffing. You can usually do about 5-8 discs before needing to reapply more cream. So basically they last awhile. Do I think someone really needs this? Maybe if you owned 200-500 dvds or a ton of games OR wanted to buff other peoples disc for some extra cash it might be okay.

And to answer ackbar7...ours was listed at either $350 or $400 if I remember right. I just know it wasn't listed at its new $649 price.

[quote name='SelmaBlair']I called a local HWV that was closing and asked if they were having a storewide sale and the chick on the phone said only some things were on sale... what gives?[/QUOTE]

If they just recently started the closing process, only the core collection and game vault stuff is for sale. In the last few weeks of the sale, they start selling everything, from fixtures to new release movies.

My store still is renting stuff. I wanted to ask when the newer games and movies would become available to purchase, but the employees were busy so I didn't bother. I'll keep driving by each day, and if I see signs that say 40% (currently 30%) I'll stop in. I'm feeling weird going in there each day and looking at the same stuff, and the employees probably think I'm a vagrant, even though I'm usually in my work attire during my lunch break.

[quote name='Kelegacy']My store still is renting stuff. I wanted to ask when the newer games and movies would become available to purchase, but the employees were busy so I didn't bother. I'll keep driving by each day, and if I see signs that say 40% (currently 30%) I'll stop in. I'm feeling weird going in there each day and looking at the same stuff, and the employees probably think I'm a vagrant, even though I'm usually in my work attire during my lunch break.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I feel the same way when I go in. I go almost everday after work, still in my business attire, hoping for new releases to be up for grabs.

Right as I go in, its always the same two people. The other workers are random, but the same two people, secretly judging me :cold:

[quote name='torres546']
Right as I go in, its always the same two people. The other workers are random, but the same two people, secretly judging me :cold:[/QUOTE]

Creepy...

My Movie Gallery was at 40% today, so I decided to grab a couple games. I snagged:

Sonic Unleashed - 10.xx
Sega Superstars Tennis - 3.00
Elebits - $7.xx
Blue Dragon Prima guide sealed - $6

I asked when the newer stuff would be available for sale instead of rent and he said the rumor is the 15th. I'll be in there during my morning break with bells on---and the day before, just in case. :)

I'm guessing my local Hollywood Video is at the same % off, which is two towns over from where I work. But a lot of the games, fixtures and stuff were bought out by my old landlord, who owns a videogame store and is opening another.

Well, poo. One of my local stores is closing. So far got new copies of de Blod and Too Human for $11 and $12. New rentals weren't on sale yet. Nabbed about 5 DVDs so far.

[quote name='mook8515']It's sad all these rental places are going out of business. Everything is going online now, which is good in that it is cheaper, but it kind of feels more heartless.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Online also sucks if you're a browser like me. I prefer to wander a store aimlessly. :( But from what I can tell, smaller stores seem to be doing much better. They don't have nearly the overhead as BB and MG, so they can charge better prices. Movie Gallery is just a reeeeally poorly managed company though.

I'm I getting screwed, or was the employee just wrong? I called one of my HWVs, which, to my surprise, is in the process of shutting down, and he said that all games (everything in the store actually) is 30% off. I thought it was supposed to be 80% off games?

Also, no wonder my HWV is shutting down. Them filing for C11 is very interesting and sad, although I did predict a large/total close down this year if I remember right.

P.S. Very good thread Super_Dawn, I'm very impressed with what you have been able to do here. Happy to have helped when I did!

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I'm I getting screwed, or was the employee just wrong? I called one of my HWVs, which, to my surprise, is in the process of shutting down, and he said that all games (everything in the store actually) is 30% off. I thought it was supposed to be 80% off games?

Also, no wonder my HWV is shutting down. Them filing for C11 is very interesting and sad, although I did predict a large/total close down this year if I remember right.

P.S. Very good thread Super_Dawn, I'm very impressed with what you have been able to do here. Happy to have helped when I did![/QUOTE]

depending on where u live, here in the bay area, all HMV's and GC's shipped there good/newer games to another store (that isnt closing), if ur lucky u'll get some average games to hit 50%+

My HW/GC is closing too...can't say I'm glad to see them go but I never really shopped there. They say they'll be shutting in about seven weeks so there weren't really any deals - most stuff was at 20% off, and the former rental games were all at GameCrazy's used prices.

Store closing sales are always pretty depressing though. Makes me kind of sick how people will buy anything thinking it's a great deal. People were walking out with armloads of barely-discounted DVDs. :roll: Plus I feel sorry for the dudes losing their jobs.

Well anyway. I got a hardcover Art of Mass Effect book for $8. Not bad considering the cheapest used copy on Amazon is $96.98. I'll be going back when the discounts increase, probably.

I'm going to swing by my store soon to see if they have the rentals on sale now. Everything else is 40% off. Tomorrow is rumored to be the day they go on sale (the newer stuff) but I want to double check to see if it's today instead just in case.

Hrm. Don't know if this was just a one time thing, or a storewide policy, but if you're buying a former rental DVD that says "2-disc special edition" or something similar, have them double check that the second disc is actually in there. I got a DVD that said that at a closing MG, got it home, opened it, and the piece that usually holds Disc 2 was completely gone, only leaving the first disc.

Slightly pissed, since I wouldn't have bothered buying it had I noticed beforehand. :/ Hopefully I can find someone to take it off my hands for a couple bucks if I wind up liking it enough to rebuy it.

I was able to get the disc resurfacer for $300 though! Woo hoo! Now my friend needs to pay me back for it.

And if there's any Indiana people in this thread still, the Huntington Movie Gallery is closing. They don't know the date, but are thinking in 2-3 weeks.

Tomorrow at close is when the rentals stop at my place. If I really wanted a game I guess I could rent it now and wait until Friday to buy it. But rentals are about $8 a pop I think, so that could ruin a deal for me. I don't know what they'll price certain games like Uncharted 2 at, but I think they'll be 40% off whatever. If games are $50 before 40% off I won't bite. At $40 before discount I might for certain games.

...yea...the updates in the OP were all for the first 800 stores closing which included mine. I'm guessing they've begun more closing of stores...so basically they're starting at square one as far as discounts go. I would continually check back with whatever stores in your area are closing for updates.

As I mentioned in the OP:

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

picked up watchmen end is nigh brand new on ps3 for $12.99 exactly

one of my stores is on it's final days tomorrow

i was hoping discounts would be great on final day (right now it's 40% off) but I guess I shouldn't get hopes up

Picked up a free copy of Beatles Rock Band for PS3 by accident tonight. I was grabbing a bunch of display cases and when I got home I found a PS3 disc inside what I thought was just the case and manual for the 360 version.

I'm liking these free games from HWV. First ODST, and then BRB. :p

[quote name='dabamus']Picked up a free copy of Beatles Rock Band for PS3 by accident tonight. I was grabbing a bunch of display cases and when I got home I found a PS3 disc inside what I thought was just the case and manual for the 360 version.

I'm liking these free games from HWV. First ODST, and then BRB. :p[/QUOTE]

once again...your a lucky dog!

My Movie Gallery was at 50% today for everything, so I grabbed:

Little King's Story - 12.50
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing (360) $20
Heavy Rain - $25
Halo 3 ODST - $20
Dark Void (360) - 17.50
Biggest Loser (for the wife) $15
Mini Ninjas (360) - $12.50
Rabbids Go Home - $12.50
The Conduit - $10

The highlight is Heavy Rain, but the others weren't too shabby. I got there 15 mins after opening and most of the games were missing already. I wonder if it's worth it to stop by again. I know I saw more games yesterday before the rentals were put on sale, so I don't know what happened to them, unless the employees took dibs of their own after close last night when they did the repricing. This morning's employees were older ladies, so I doubt they were interested in any games.

The signs for 50% weren't even up yet when I stopped in. They were still doing that as I looked around. Weird. I wonder if maybe there were games behind the counter they still hadn't fixed the price stickers to, but I doubt it. Wishful thinking anyway.

Checked out the HWV near me, as they just started selling the newer games. Got...

Fuel
Darksiders
Borderlands
FEAR 2
Brutal Legend

...all for $75. Pretty good deal.

[quote name='josh62488']once again...your a lucky dog![/QUOTE]

Everyone's a lucky dog at Aaron's! (hopefully someone will get it)

[quote name='Razzel']Checked out the HWV near me, as they just started selling the newer games. Got...

Fuel
Darksiders
Borderlands
FEAR 2
Brutal Legend

...all for $75. Pretty good deal.[/QUOTE]

ouch, not a good deal in my book. My HWV started at 50% today. Some of the prices are laughable, even at 50%. What sucks is that their new games are overpriced to begin with and not even sealed.

[quote name='lude21']ouch, not a good deal in my book. My HWV started at 50% today. Some of the prices are laughable, even at 50%. What sucks is that their new games are overpriced to begin with and not even sealed.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that the other day when I was there. But I noticed that alot of their 'new' games were 'newsed' when they still had the big ass display case in the store.:cry:

I'm guessing they probably sent back any newer stuff, right?

[quote name='lude21']ouch, not a good deal in my book. My HWV started at 50% today. Some of the prices are laughable, even at 50%. What sucks is that their new games are overpriced to begin with and not even sealed.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, I looked it up and it would have been $120 with an edge card to get all those games from Gamestop. $45 off is good enough for me.

50% off and everything for sale now in Lawrence, NY. (They must have sent many of the newest rental movies to another store.)

PS3 games are getting pretty picked over. I picked up MLB09 for $12.50

They have a staggering amount of Xbox(1) and PS2 games. It looked like a lot of 360 games too.

Still more guides than I have ever seen in my life, but almost all of them for games 1 year old or more. (This store received tons from stores that are already closed.) I got the guide for GTA: Liberty City for $2.50

Originally Posted by Razzel
Checked out the HWV near me, as they just started selling the newer games. Got...

Fuel
Darksiders
Borderlands
FEAR 2
Brutal Legend

...all for $75. Pretty good deal

I hope you didn't pay more than $5 for Fuel, Fear 2, or Brutal Legend. That's how much they're going for at Blockbuster Video's B1G1 free sale. At Blockbuster, you can get the original case and manual, which you don't get at HWV.

Yeah, Heavy Rain for $25. That's pretty good. The only way I can think of to get used Heavy Rain around that price is thru the current Gamestop deal, combining 10auto (10% off > $65 purchase of in-stock item), 25off (25% off >$100 used game purchase), and Edge Card discount (another 10% off). If done correctly, you can buy used Heavy Rain with a couple of other games and have it (on average) for around $25. I got it for ~$29, with case and manual.

The HWV game deals are really not as good as their movie deals- all the good games are gone before their prices reach bargain prices (maybe gamers are just not patient enough). However, good blu-rays can still be had even when the prices reach $3 or $1 per movie.

[quote name='quicksilver1492'].

I hope you didn't pay more than $5 for Fuel, Fear 2, or Brutal Legend. That's how much they're going for at Blockbuster Video's B1G1 free sale. At Blockbuster, you can get the original case and manual, which you don't get at HWV.

Yeah, Heavy Rain for $25. That's pretty good. The only way I can think of to get used Heavy Rain around that price is thru the current Gamestop deal, combining 10auto (10% off > $65 purchase of in-stock item), 25off (25% off >$100 used game purchase), and Edge Card discount (another 10% off). If done correctly, you can buy used Heavy Rain with a couple of other games and have it (on average) for around $25. I got it for ~$29, with case and manual.

The HWV game deals are really not as good as their movie deals- all the good games are gone before their prices reach bargain prices (maybe gamers are just not patient enough). However, good blu-rays can still be had even when the prices reach $3 or $1 per movie.[/QUOTE]

You can't get Heavy Rain (used) on a lower or even equal price on the current stacking coupon codes at Gamestop. Heavy Rain is $49.99 and after all the discounts it will cost $30.37. They don't really combine the coupons in one go, they take EDGE first, then 10Auto, then 25off which only amounts to 39.25% off.

[quote name='quicksilver1492'].

The HWV game deals are really not as good as their movie deals- all the good games are gone before their prices reach bargain prices (maybe gamers are just not patient enough). However, good blu-rays can still be had even when the prices reach $3 or $1 per movie.[/QUOTE]

They were $9, so not too bad. And I got the original cases, which I love. The nearest blockbuster is an hour away, so that's just not an option. I might go back over today to see what's left.

You can't get Heavy Rain (used) on a lower or even equal price on the current stacking coupon codes at Gamestop. Heavy Rain is $49.99 and after all the discounts it will cost $30.37. They don't really combine the coupons in one go, they take EDGE first, then 10Auto, then 25off which only amounts to 39.25% off.

You have to buy multiple games to reach >$100 required for the 25off code. How much you pay for Heavy Rain (or any other $49.99 game, after averaging per game) depends on how many games you get. Before posting the message, I got Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, and Assassin's Creed 2 down to $86 (after taxes, with free shipping).

$25 for Heavy Rain alone is definitely a great price (even though it's probably the pre-tax price). I'm just saying that you can right now, since you're buying a bunch of games anyway, get something close.

My personal experience with the HWV closing game sale is that, even when you manage to catch a good game at a good price, you still have to worry about whether you get the original case and the instruction manual with it. Personally, I would prefer to get the case and manual and pay about the same price. I think games that don't come with original cases and manuals should sell for much lower prices.

They were $9, so not too bad. And I got the original cases, which I love. The nearest blockbuster is an hour away, so that's just not an option. I might go back over today to see what's left.

Good to hear that you were lucky and got the original cases. My HWV had the original cases and manuals out only for 1 day, then (I don't know why) they packed them up and took them all away- who knows where.

Someone had bought most of the good games at Movie Gallery before they even opened (stopped in the night before and gave them his credit card, the cheat, and bought multiple copies of many games). I was a bit upset because I saw all the good stuff in massive piles behind the counter. I was there almost at opening yet someone had already beat me, and was greedy to boot. And he didn't even have to come in to the store.

So on the way home from dinner last night we passed a HWV and I stopped in. The same sale was going on and it redeemed the morning for me (though I got decent games in the morning, too). Here's what I grabbed:

360:
Dante's Inferno
Mass Effect 2
Bayonetta
Arkham Asylum

PS3:
Genji (it was $5, don't sue me)
Borderlands -- I wanted it for 360 but I have a PS3 too so I don't mind, I'll be playing SP only anyway.

Wii:

Klonoa
NMH 2
Boom Blox Bash Party

DVD:

Ponyo
Lion Emperor Leo

I passed on Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and some other games. I did enough damage to my wallet and my wife cut me off for a little while. :)

I got all the original cases as well as the rental cases (that's what they gave me in a big bag) but he couldn't find the PS3 case for Borderlands so he offered the 360 one, which I took, and Dante's Inferno has the PS3 case instead of 360, so I took that. Whatever.

Portland area stores have commenced closing sales. Right now a couple in Beaverton are at 30% off all games, but the selection and the pricing wasn't awe-inspiring. I left with Castlevania Dracula X for $10.50 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 360 for $3.50 (clear case). Went back later and got a hard shell PSP case that sells for a buck more normally at Target. Even with the discount some of those prices were lame.

[quote name='quicksilver1492']You have to buy multiple games to reach >$100 required for the 25off code. How much you pay for Heavy Rain (or any other $49.99 game, after averaging per game) depends on how many games you get. Before posting the message, I got Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, and Assassin's Creed 2 down to $86 (after taxes, with free shipping).

$25 for Heavy Rain alone is definitely a great price (even though it's probably the pre-tax price). I'm just saying that you can right now, since you're buying a bunch of games anyway, get something close.

My personal experience with the HWV closing game sale is that, even when you manage to catch a good game at a good price, you still have to worry about whether you get the original case and the instruction manual with it. Personally, I would prefer to get the case and manual and pay about the same price. I think games that don't come with original cases and manuals should sell for much lower prices.[/QUOTE]
Obviously to get the full discount on used you have to order over $100. Any $49.99 (used) game with the GS offer will be 30.37 (39.25% off) with EDGE, 10Auto, and 25Off coupons, before taxes. There's no trickery involved, it's simple math.

I picked up for the 360 at 50% off...Not great games but never played them...Still hav a crap load of games at my two local stores...

rainbow six vegas...$4
unreal tourmant 3...$4
turok...$5
alone in the dark...$4
table tennis...$2.50
lego jones/kung fu panda...$2.50
vt3...$4
just cause...$5
the chronicles of ridick..$9
dark sector...$4
jericho...$4
tony hawk proving ground...$5

two worlds and hulk...$8 (blockbuster deal)

earth defense force and soldier of fortune...$8 (block deal)
red fraction...($5 darkssiders deal)

update...more to the list of hollwood...60% off...

fallout 3....$10
mirror edge...$5
prototype....$10
forza 2 complete edition...$2
saints row 2....$7
halo wars....$6
lost odyssey...$8

picked up:

Halo Wars- $7
Lego Batman- $6

there was really nothing that was in my price range...im going back sometime soon to hope that the games dropped more...

Cleaned up today

AC/DC Track pack 2.99 New
All pro football 2k8 1.99 Used
Army of two 3.50 used
Army of two 40th day 22.50 used
Assasins Creed 1 9.50 New
Band Hero 17.99 New
Batman AA CE 39.99 New
Battlefield BC CE 12.50 New
Beatles RB 13.50 used
Bioshock 1 9.99 Used
Blitz the League 2 4.oo used
Burnout Paradise 11.99 used
Call of duty 3 4.00 used
Call of duty 4 GOTY 14.00 Used
Call of duty World at War 17.00 New
Call of Juarez Bound in blood 9.99 New
College Hoops 2k8 1.99 Used
Dirt 2 14.99 used
Dj hero renegade 49.99 New
Facebreaker 3.00 New
Fallout 3 goty 15.99 New
FIFA 10 24.99 Used
Fight Night 4 11.99 used
FUEL 7.00 Used
Ghostbusters 10.99 used
Guitar Hero 3 w/guitar 18.50 New
GH World Tour 8.99 (Game only) used
GH5 13.99 Used
GH Aerosmith 2.50 used
GH Greatest Hits 5.00 New
GH Metallica 10.00 used
GH Van Halen 15.00 new
Heavy Rain 27.00 used
InFamous 17.00 used
James Bond Quantum of Solace 7.99 used
Just cause 2 37.99 New
Killzone 2 16.99 used
Lego Rock band 12.50 new
Little big planet goty 18.00 new
Madden 07 1.00 used
Madden 08 2.50 used
Madden 09 9.99 used
Madden 10 35.00 New
MAG 27.00 New
MLB 2K9 3.99 Used
MOH Airborne 7.00 used
Mercinaries 2 world in flames 6.99 used
Midnight club LA (with DLC) 17.99 New
Mirrors edge 6.99 used
MLB 08 the show 6.50 used
MlB 10 the show 37.99 new
MLB front office manager 2.99 New
MK vs. DC 8.99 used
Motorstorm Pacific Rift 13.99
MX VS. ATV Reflex 15.99
NBA 2K10 19.99 Used
NBA Live 10 18.50 New
NCAA Basketball 09 7.99 used
NCAA Football 10 23.99 New
NFS Carbon 3.99 used
NFS Undercover 9.99 used
NFS Shift 22.99 used
NFL Head coach 09 4.99 used
NFL Tour 3.99 Used
NHL 09 11.99 Used
NHL 2K9 3.50 Used
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising 22.50 used
Pro evelution soccer 09 8.00 used
Prototype 9.99 Used
PURE 12.99 Used
Resistance 1 4.99 used
resistance 2 15.99
Rock Band 1 7.00
Rock Band 2 15.00
Rock band track packs 50.00 New
Skate 2 12.50 used
SOCOM Confrontation w headset 20.00 new
Tiger woods PGA Tour 10 20.00 new
Tom Clancy Endwar w headset 20.00 new
Tom Clancy GRAW 2 8.50 used
TC HAWX 15.00 New
TC Rainbow six vegas 4.00 used
TC Rainbow Six Vegas 2 7.50 used
Splinter cell double agent 9.00 used
Tony Hawk Proving Ground 10.00 used
Tony Hawk Ride 29.99 New
UFC 09 9.99 used
Uncharted 18.50 used
Uncharted 2 22.99 used
Wheelman 4.99 used
WWE SVR 09 14.00 used
WWE SVR 10 24.99 New
X-Men wolverine 11.00 used

My friend is the manager so i got some sweet deals before everyone else. He was telling me that they just combined the game crazy with HWV for one big sale. Most have the manuals and dont look too scratched.

[quote name='sdclippers']Cleaned up today

AC/DC Track pack 2.99 New
All pro football 2k8 1.99 Used
Army of two 3.50 used
Army of two 40th day 22.50 used
Assasins Creed 1 9.50 New
Band Hero 17.99 New
Batman AA CE 39.99 New
Battlefield BC CE 12.50 New
Beatles RB 13.50 used
Bioshock 1 9.99 Used
Blitz the League 2 4.oo used
Burnout Paradise 11.99 used
Call of duty 3 4.00 used
Call of duty 4 GOTY 14.00 Used
Call of duty World at War 17.00 New
Call of Juarez Bound in blood 9.99 New
College Hoops 2k8 1.99 Used
Dirt 2 14.99 used
Dj hero renegade 49.99 New
Facebreaker 3.00 New
Fallout 3 goty 15.99 New
FIFA 10 24.99 Used
Fight Night 4 11.99 used
FUEL 7.00 Used
Ghostbusters 10.99 used
Guitar Hero 3 w/guitar 18.50 New
GH World Tour 8.99 (Game only) used
GH5 13.99 Used
GH Aerosmith 2.50 used
GH Greatest Hits 5.00 New
GH Metallica 10.00 used
GH Van Halen 15.00 new
Heavy Rain 27.00 used
InFamous 17.00 used
James Bond Quantum of Solace 7.99 used
Just cause 2 37.99 New
Killzone 2 16.99 used
Lego Rock band 12.50 new
Little big planet goty 18.00 new
Madden 07 1.00 used
Madden 08 2.50 used
Madden 09 9.99 used
Madden 10 35.00 New
MAG 27.00 New
MLB 2K9 3.99 Used
MOH Airborne 7.00 used
Mercinaries 2 world in flames 6.99 used
Midnight club LA (with DLC) 17.99 New
Mirrors edge 6.99 used
MLB 08 the show 6.50 used
MlB 10 the show 37.99 new
MLB front office manager 2.99 New
MK vs. DC 8.99 used
Motorstorm Pacific Rift 13.99
MX VS. ATV Reflex 15.99
NBA 2K10 19.99 Used
NBA Live 10 18.50 New
NCAA Basketball 09 7.99 used
NCAA Football 10 23.99 New
NFS Carbon 3.99 used
NFS Undercover 9.99 used
NFS Shift 22.99 used
NFL Head coach 09 4.99 used
NFL Tour 3.99 Used
NHL 09 11.99 Used
NHL 2K9 3.50 Used
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising 22.50 used
Pro evelution soccer 09 8.00 used
Prototype 9.99 Used
PURE 12.99 Used
Resistance 1 4.99 used
resistance 2 15.99
Rock Band 1 7.00
Rock Band 2 15.00
Rock band track packs 50.00 New
Skate 2 12.50 used
SOCOM Confrontation w headset 20.00 new
Tiger woods PGA Tour 10 20.00 new
Tom Clancy Endwar w headset 20.00 new
Tom Clancy GRAW 2 8.50 used
TC HAWX 15.00 New
TC Rainbow six vegas 4.00 used
TC Rainbow Six Vegas 2 7.50 used
Splinter cell double agent 9.00 used
Tony Hawk Proving Ground 10.00 used
Tony Hawk Ride 29.99 New
UFC 09 9.99 used
Uncharted 18.50 used
Uncharted 2 22.99 used
Wheelman 4.99 used
WWE SVR 09 14.00 used
WWE SVR 10 24.99 New
X-Men wolverine 11.00 used

My friend is the manager so i got some sweet deals before everyone else. He was telling me that they just combined the game crazy with HWV for one big sale. Most have the manuals and dont look too scratched.[/QUOTE]

Your bank account?

bread's done
Back