Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, these sales can get expensive. I didn't realize how much my tally came to for just 20 games until I checked out. One store I had 9, another I had 11.

And you got two games I couldn't, Uncharted 2 and Infamous. Uncharted 2 at that price is a steal. You ever want to trade something like ME2 or NMH2 for it, you let me know. :)

Last thursday they didn't have any of the newest ones for sale yet but I was able to score Killzone 2 with original artwork and case and Uncharted with a case (but rental art) for $15 each. Might try and stop by later this week and see if the new ones are for sale yet.

[quote name='sdclippers']Cleaned up today

AC/DC Track pack 2.99 New
All pro football 2k8 1.99 Used
Army of two 3.50 used
Army of two 40th day 22.50 used
Assasins Creed 1 9.50 New
Band Hero 17.99 New
Batman AA CE 39.99 New
Battlefield BC CE 12.50 New
Beatles RB 13.50 used
Bioshock 1 9.99 Used
Blitz the League 2 4.oo used
Burnout Paradise 11.99 used
Call of duty 3 4.00 used
Call of duty 4 GOTY 14.00 Used
Call of duty World at War 17.00 New
Call of Juarez Bound in blood 9.99 New
College Hoops 2k8 1.99 Used
Dirt 2 14.99 used
Dj hero renegade 49.99 New
Facebreaker 3.00 New
Fallout 3 goty 15.99 New
FIFA 10 24.99 Used
Fight Night 4 11.99 used
FUEL 7.00 Used
Ghostbusters 10.99 used
Guitar Hero 3 w/guitar 18.50 New
GH World Tour 8.99 (Game only) used
GH5 13.99 Used
GH Aerosmith 2.50 used
GH Greatest Hits 5.00 New
GH Metallica 10.00 used
GH Van Halen 15.00 new
Heavy Rain 27.00 used
InFamous 17.00 used
James Bond Quantum of Solace 7.99 used
Just cause 2 37.99 New
Killzone 2 16.99 used
Lego Rock band 12.50 new
Little big planet goty 18.00 new
Madden 07 1.00 used
Madden 08 2.50 used
Madden 09 9.99 used
Madden 10 35.00 New
MAG 27.00 New
MLB 2K9 3.99 Used
MOH Airborne 7.00 used
Mercinaries 2 world in flames 6.99 used
Midnight club LA (with DLC) 17.99 New
Mirrors edge 6.99 used
MLB 08 the show 6.50 used
MlB 10 the show 37.99 new
MLB front office manager 2.99 New
MK vs. DC 8.99 used
Motorstorm Pacific Rift 13.99
MX VS. ATV Reflex 15.99
NBA 2K10 19.99 Used
NBA Live 10 18.50 New
NCAA Basketball 09 7.99 used
NCAA Football 10 23.99 New
NFS Carbon 3.99 used
NFS Undercover 9.99 used
NFS Shift 22.99 used
NFL Head coach 09 4.99 used
NFL Tour 3.99 Used
NHL 09 11.99 Used
NHL 2K9 3.50 Used
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising 22.50 used
Pro evelution soccer 09 8.00 used
Prototype 9.99 Used
PURE 12.99 Used
Resistance 1 4.99 used
resistance 2 15.99
Rock Band 1 7.00
Rock Band 2 15.00
Rock band track packs 50.00 New
Skate 2 12.50 used
SOCOM Confrontation w headset 20.00 new
Tiger woods PGA Tour 10 20.00 new
Tom Clancy Endwar w headset 20.00 new
Tom Clancy GRAW 2 8.50 used
TC HAWX 15.00 New
TC Rainbow six vegas 4.00 used
TC Rainbow Six Vegas 2 7.50 used
Splinter cell double agent 9.00 used
Tony Hawk Proving Ground 10.00 used
Tony Hawk Ride 29.99 New
UFC 09 9.99 used
Uncharted 18.50 used
Uncharted 2 22.99 used
Wheelman 4.99 used
WWE SVR 09 14.00 used
WWE SVR 10 24.99 New
X-Men wolverine 11.00 used

My friend is the manager so i got some sweet deals before everyone else. He was telling me that they just combined the game crazy with HWV for one big sale. Most have the manuals and dont look too scratched.[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope your 'friend' let you use their employee discount, since even though that's a hell of a haul, some are grossly overpriced(the Rock Band track packs for example, unless you paid like $5 each for TEN of them).

But hey, if you can blow nearly $1300 on games(and yes, I added 'em up), more power to ya. Of course, it remains to be seen what one would do with $1300 in games aside from reselling.

I forgot to tell you the final price with discount was about 1 grand. Even though i said i bought them my roomate also said he would repay me for some games he wanted like Heavy Rain, MLB 10 The Show, Motorstorm, Batman AA and i think Fallout 3. Most of the others i plan on flipping to BB,GS,or TRU. All these were for the PS3 and i only have PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind mailing the games in and they are complete/mint, check out Best Buy's trade-in program. Right now you'd just about double what you paid for Little Big Planet, as they're giving $30 in credit for it.

[quote name='dabamus']Picked up a free copy of Beatles Rock Band for PS3 by accident tonight. I was grabbing a bunch of display cases and when I got home I found a PS3 disc inside what I thought was just the case and manual for the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Found a PS3 Bayonetta in one of my cases, which I then returned...as I assume you will also be doing.

Yeah my plan was to trade them in. some discs seem to be a little worn out but im still going to try them. Theres a chance some might not work since they were rental copies.

[quote name='cheapo72']Found a PS3 Bayonetta in one of my cases, which I then returned...as I assume you will also be doing.[/QUOTE]

:lol::applause: I was about to say you must not have been on CAG very long to think someone is going to return a 'free' game they found in a case they picked up, but then I noticed you've been here since 2008.

I suppose you blurt out 'who lost this $100 bill' when you find one on the street? I just put the fuckin' thing in my pocket, consider it my lucky day and keep walking.;)

I would also keep the game. You can trade it in for credit if you dont like the game.

P.S. Thouse track packs were pretty pricey. But it was all the packs i knew of:

Classic rock
Country
Metal
Volume 2

All were new and had their export codes unused so that was the reason i bit.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol::applause: I was about to say you must not have been on CAG very long to think someone is going to return a 'free' game they found in a case they picked up, but then I noticed you've been here since 2008.

I suppose you blurt out 'who lost this $100 bill' when you find one on the street? I just put the fuckin' thing in my pocket, consider it my lucky day and keep walking.;)[/QUOTE]

What if you saw who dropped the $100 bill?

[quote name='r00kie']What if you saw who dropped the $100 bill?[/QUOTE]

If I see who dropped it, then yes I'll return it to them, but if it's just laying there on the pavement and no one is anywhere near there then it's fair game.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I see who dropped it, then yes I'll return it to them, but if it's just laying there on the pavement and no one is anywhere near there then it's fair game.:razz:[/QUOTE]

Lonesome bill is lonesome.

Wow...This thread was useful up until about 4 weeks ago :[ Family Video shoved blockbuster out first and then muscled Hollywood Video out of my town after.

Ohhh well, not like I ever went there. I like Family Video better.

[quote name='Unaki']Wow...This thread was useful up until about 4 weeks ago :[ Family Video shoved blockbuster out first and then muscled Hollywood Video out of my town after.

Ohhh well, not like I ever went there. I like Family Video better.[/QUOTE]

Better prices, better store, better employees. Oh...And fuck Blockbuster's policies (charged me $1 for no fucking reason when I rented FF13 (that shit-hole of a fucking game)) And good riddance to the downfall of Hollywood Video, Gamecrazy, and Movie Gallery. They all employed complete fucktards, assholes, and ignorant managers.

Mmm, job loss in a depression is GREAT!

[quote name='thehoweller']Better prices, better store, better employees. Oh...And fuck Blockbuster's policies (charged me $1 for no fucking reason when I rented FF13 (that shit-hole of a fucking game)) And good riddance to the downfall of Hollywood Video, Gamecrazy, and Movie Gallery. They all employed complete fucktards, assholes, and ignorant managers.

Mmm, job loss in a depression is GREAT![/QUOTE]
Wow, such burning hatred...I also like how I don't get harassed about my $220 late fee at FV and can just pay a dollar each time :whee:

[quote name='thehoweller']Better prices, better store, better employees. Oh...And fuck Blockbuster's policies (charged me $1 for no fucking reason when I rented FF13 (that shit-hole of a fucking game)) And good riddance to the downfall of Hollywood Video, Gamecrazy, and Movie Gallery. They all employed complete fucktards, assholes, and ignorant managers.

Mmm, job loss in a depression is GREAT![/QUOTE]

Nice to know you generalize thousands of employees by a handful that you've encountered. All the employees at my two local Movie Galleries are incredibly nice, even the employees at the closing one have remained ultra great. And the ones at Blockbuster are about 80% cool, with a couple idiots.

If I were to guess, I'd say the quality of the employees is heavily based on the people who live there. Or possibly you're just an asshole customer who they all hate dealing with. ;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I see who dropped it, then yes I'll return it to them, but if it's just laying there on the pavement and no one is anywhere near there then it's fair game.:razz:[/QUOTE]

Well he knew who the rightful owner of his Bayonetta game was just like you would know who the rightful owner of the $100 bill was....how is that any different? And yes I realize HWV is a sinking ship but I'm talking from an ethical standpoint.

[quote name='sdclippers']Cleaned up today

AC/DC Track pack 2.99 New
All pro football 2k8 1.99 Used
Army of two 3.50 used
Army of two 40th day 22.50 used
Assasins Creed 1 9.50 New
Band Hero 17.99 New
Batman AA CE 39.99 New
Battlefield BC CE 12.50 New
Beatles RB 13.50 used
Bioshock 1 9.99 Used
Blitz the League 2 4.oo used
Burnout Paradise 11.99 used
Call of duty 3 4.00 used
Call of duty 4 GOTY 14.00 Used
Call of duty World at War 17.00 New
Call of Juarez Bound in blood 9.99 New
College Hoops 2k8 1.99 Used
Dirt 2 14.99 used
Dj hero renegade 49.99 New
Facebreaker 3.00 New
Fallout 3 goty 15.99 New
FIFA 10 24.99 Used
Fight Night 4 11.99 used
FUEL 7.00 Used
Ghostbusters 10.99 used
Guitar Hero 3 w/guitar 18.50 New
GH World Tour 8.99 (Game only) used
GH5 13.99 Used
GH Aerosmith 2.50 used
GH Greatest Hits 5.00 New
GH Metallica 10.00 used
GH Van Halen 15.00 new
Heavy Rain 27.00 used
InFamous 17.00 used
James Bond Quantum of Solace 7.99 used
Just cause 2 37.99 New
Killzone 2 16.99 used
Lego Rock band 12.50 new
Little big planet goty 18.00 new
Madden 07 1.00 used
Madden 08 2.50 used
Madden 09 9.99 used
Madden 10 35.00 New
MAG 27.00 New
MLB 2K9 3.99 Used
MOH Airborne 7.00 used
Mercinaries 2 world in flames 6.99 used
Midnight club LA (with DLC) 17.99 New
Mirrors edge 6.99 used
MLB 08 the show 6.50 used
MlB 10 the show 37.99 new
MLB front office manager 2.99 New
MK vs. DC 8.99 used
Motorstorm Pacific Rift 13.99
MX VS. ATV Reflex 15.99
NBA 2K10 19.99 Used
NBA Live 10 18.50 New
NCAA Basketball 09 7.99 used
NCAA Football 10 23.99 New
NFS Carbon 3.99 used
NFS Undercover 9.99 used
NFS Shift 22.99 used
NFL Head coach 09 4.99 used
NFL Tour 3.99 Used
NHL 09 11.99 Used
NHL 2K9 3.50 Used
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising 22.50 used
Pro evelution soccer 09 8.00 used
Prototype 9.99 Used
PURE 12.99 Used
Resistance 1 4.99 used
resistance 2 15.99
Rock Band 1 7.00
Rock Band 2 15.00
Rock band track packs 50.00 New
Skate 2 12.50 used
SOCOM Confrontation w headset 20.00 new
Tiger woods PGA Tour 10 20.00 new
Tom Clancy Endwar w headset 20.00 new
Tom Clancy GRAW 2 8.50 used
TC HAWX 15.00 New
TC Rainbow six vegas 4.00 used
TC Rainbow Six Vegas 2 7.50 used
Splinter cell double agent 9.00 used
Tony Hawk Proving Ground 10.00 used
Tony Hawk Ride 29.99 New
UFC 09 9.99 used
Uncharted 18.50 used
Uncharted 2 22.99 used
Wheelman 4.99 used
WWE SVR 09 14.00 used
WWE SVR 10 24.99 New
X-Men wolverine 11.00 used

My friend is the manager so i got some sweet deals before everyone else. He was telling me that they just combined the game crazy with HWV for one big sale. Most have the manuals and dont look too scratched.[/QUOTE]

such BS. not the prices, but that you actually bought and paid for it. Even for a reseller, that's dumb. Again, complete BS and PS post.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']such BS. not the prices, but that you actually bought and paid for it. Even for a reseller, that's dumb. Again, complete BS and PS post.[/QUOTE]

I believe it. Like IATCG said a few posts back, he could just about double what he paid for that. So if you have the cash up front, why not I say.

they had 50% off every game. i could have got forza 3 for $25 and resistance 2 for $15. but i opted to get zombieland bluray (ugly rental box) for $10 and a mint condition factory sealed pineapple express unrated bluray for $12.50. should i go back for resistance 2? i dont wanna spend $25 on a used forza 3.

[quote name='camelking6969']Picked up. Rc crack in 25. Borderlands 20. Sega racer 20. Probaly could wait. But I happy[/QUOTE]

If you waited you probably wouldn't get any of those games--someone else would have.

Is there a place for Hollywood Video trades? The $5 Make You Holla Thread was for the $5 sale.

I don't know how frowned upon this would be here in the thread (the stores are drying up so I doubt we'll see tons of activity here anyway) but I figured I should probably trade away my Mass Effect 2 and No More Heroes 2 that I picked up this weekend, maybe even my Borderlands PS3 copy (I wanted it on 360). And, eventually, my copy of Dante's Inferno though I really really enjoy it (once I beat it).

I went a little hogwild buying up games. I probably should have shown some restraint, and I doubt I'll play ME2 and NMH2 anytime soon as I haven't played or finished the first games. I would rather have some other titles, too.

Picked up:
Zack & Wiki - $5
WarioWare Smith Moves - $13
The Condult - $13
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle - $20 (Confused it for Red Steel 2)

[quote name='Kelegacy']Is there a place for Hollywood Video trades? The $5 Make You Holla Thread was for the $5 sale.

I don't know how frowned upon this would be here in the thread (the stores are drying up so I doubt we'll see tons of activity here anyway) but I figured I should probably trade away my Mass Effect 2 and No More Heroes 2 that I picked up this weekend, maybe even my Borderlands PS3 copy (I wanted it on 360). And, eventually, my copy of Dante's Inferno though I really really enjoy it (once I beat it).

I went a little hogwild buying up games. I probably should have shown some restraint, and I doubt I'll play ME2 and NMH2 anytime soon as I haven't played or finished the first games. I would rather have some other titles, too.[/QUOTE]

...true. I don't see any problem with doing some trades here now. If it gets too out of hand I'll let ya guys know.

I got some info from a cager about the current hwv sale for non-closing stores: b1g1 on all old gen systems $9.99 or less ....so yea, kinda crappy.

And thanks Super Dawn for all your hard work. We all really appreciate it and I hope you've landed on your feet, or will. It really stinks to see HWV and Movie Gallery go, because they are the only rental places in my area. Without them...it leaves RedBox, which now will be hard to get a movie because there are no other places to rent from. Netflix is the last resort.

My HWV was great this past summer. I got to know the great employees during that first $5 sale, right after my son was born. They even knew my name the next time I went in and asked how my son was. My wife was a little jealous. :) I always had good service, and even did the last time I was in there when I bought a bunch of games at 50% off. I could tell the workers were fatigued and my wife told the guy he needed to go home and sleep.

I don't know if I'll wind up going back, maybe before the places close for good in the coming weeks, but I'll miss 'em like I do Circuit City.

Just came back from my local Hollywood Video and the deals aren't anywhere good yet. They advertise 30% to 60% off but even with that discout on used games Gamestop sells them cheaper. They don't even have an official closing date yet so who knows how long before the sales get low enough actually be a good deal.

[quote name='Raviolicaponi']Just came back from my local Hollywood Video and the deals aren't anywhere good yet. They advertise 30% to 60% off but even with that discout on used games Gamestop sells them cheaper. They don't even have an official closing date yet so who knows how long before the sales get low enough actually be a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got a Movie Gallery close by selling games at 30%, but it's really not worth it. They're still around $15 after the discount, and I can basically get that at GS, and at least there I can get a complete game. I am making out like a bandit with Blu's, though. I don't mind that they're in DVD cases. The guy told me today that they expect to be open for no more than 3 more weeks, so hopefully by then games will have hit 50% or better.

[quote name='super_dawn']...true. I don't see any problem with doing some trades here now. If it gets too out of hand I'll let ya guys know.

I got some info from a cager about the current hwv sale for non-closing stores: b1g1 on all old gen systems $9.99 or less ....so yea, kinda crappy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just do trades here - this thread doesn't move that fast anyway.

As for that new "deal", wow, yeah, that is the very essense of crappy :roll:.
Oh well, I need a break from the BBV B1G1 anyway. Maybe there will be another $4.99 sale this summer when stock has been built back up and maybe they'll get stuff from closed stores. Of course, that requires them to leave a few open and even around here they are starting to disappear (this is an area where HWV dominated at one time but they keep ceding areas one-by-one to Blockbuster).

[quote name='io']Yeah, just do trades here - this thread doesn't move that fast anyway.

As for that new "deal", wow, yeah, that is the very essense of crappy :roll:.
Oh well, I need a break from the BBV B1G1 anyway. Maybe there will be another $4.99 sale this summer when stock has been built back up and maybe they'll get stuff from closed stores. Of course, that requires them to leave a few open and even around here they are starting to disappear (this is an area where HWV dominated at one time but they keep ceding areas one-by-one to Blockbuster).[/QUOTE]

Crappy is an understatement... between a friend and I our HWV has nothing but old sports and movie license games left in last-gen because of the $3.99 sale they had before... and thanks to the $4.99 their current-gen stuff is pretty slim too, just $54.99 copies of LittleBigPlanet.

[quote name='Kelegacy']And thanks Super Dawn for all your hard work. We all really appreciate it and I hope you've landed on your feet, or will. It really stinks to see HWV and Movie Gallery go, because they are the only rental places in my area. Without them...it leaves RedBox, which now will be hard to get a movie because there are no other places to rent from. Netflix is the last resort.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yes, landed quite well. It was kinda perfect timing for me because I was promoted at my other job to full time the 1st of this year. 9 yrs working 2-3 jobs...it is really nice to only need one now. little strange too.

Ya know...where do all these stupid old sports games come from? All 3 of my closing stores always received a box of them...and I know someone bought them up at the end...some were only .25 cents! hahaha...they always ended up back in circulation throughout the hwvs. weird.

[quote name='dwaynedays']at my loca hwv/gc they had a deal 2.99 for all games in generic cases, anybody elses have this deal?[/quote]

awesome!

[quote name='josh62488']awesome![/QUOTE]

Wasn't anything amazing left. I picked up PGR4 4 and Sega rally revo for 2.99 each, and my friend grabbed onechanbara for 2.99

Also all strat guides were 2.99 so I grab a BKN&B one and a Guinness world records of videogames 2009 book

My local store is about to start to liquidate next week. Found out today when the GC store door said All Sales Are Final sign on it.

I caught a pretty nice deal today at my local Movie Gallery. They have just 3 days left to close and I went in there today, but there weren't any games left on the shelf. I asked the girl if they had any left, and she said they all sold out. I looked around the movies for a few minutes and she asked what system I was looking for. I told her 360 and she pulled out a stack of games from underneath the counter. She said they were games that they had pulled off the shelves a while ago because they were scratched and I could go through them and she'd sell them $5 each. I grabbed (with manuals in rental case):

- Gears of War 2
- Fallout 3
- Saints Row 2
- UFC 2009

I have a rental place down the road that resurfaces for $2 a disc, so I'll probably bring them all there to have them resurfaced. All in all though......definitely a nice deal IMO.

[quote name='maccabee72'] I looked around the movies for a few minutes and she asked what system I was looking for. I told her 360 and she pulled out a stack of games from underneath the counter. She said they were games that they had pulled off the shelves a while ago because they were scratched and I could go through them and she'd sell them $5 each. I grabbed (with manuals in rental case):
[/QUOTE]
I saw the box of games behind the counter at my local store too and asked and the woman said they were "non-playable returns". I should have asked if I could take a look and offer to buy them but I wasn't thinking and I don't know a place thats local that resurfaces discs.

Now for the good; I bought Indigo Prophecy (PS2) with manual and Beautiful Katamari (360) disc only for $15 a few days ago. Went back today and got DOA Extreme 2 (360) disc only and GTA San Andreas (XBOX) with manual for $8 total plus three DVDs for $8 and Cloverfield Blu-Ray for $7. Also as I was leaving the manager asked if I had a PS3, which I do, and gave me MotorStorm (not for resale version) for free.
I will probably go back tomorrow for some more DVDs and see if they will let me sift through that box and hopefully get some cheap games as I saw a ODST and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn cases in that box.

I got to go through that box. The Fire Emblem game is complete and there's no scratches and it plays perfectly in my Wii. ODST case was empty. I also got Fuel (360) disc only, Dark Sector (360) complete, and Need for Speed Carbon (Wii) all for $23.xx plus 12 movies since they were 6 for $10.
And now I think this is the end of that HWV for me since I bought out most of their games, and they have a ton of movies left but mostly ones I would never watch more then once.

I should swing by my store to see what they have. I haven't been there fo 2 weeks, have no idea what their discount is down to, if they are even there still. I would like to pick up some cheap movies, but I bet most of the games have been grabbed by now. I know I dropped too much cash.

San Jose, CA. McKee x Capital store closing in two weeks. this was their last store in the Bay Area.

farewell, GameCrazy.

inventory; picked over and stripped.

I stopped by my closest HWV that's closing tonight and much to my chagrin they started selling the one time rental copies of games. They still had some halfway decent stuff left(a couple Bayonetta, a lone Dante's Inferno, some other odds and ends from this gen), but they also had a virtual shitton of last gen crap spread out over 4-6 long sections of shelving.

I ended up picking up the following:

Darksiders:ps3:-$14-ish....disc only in one of those sickening half coverart/half manual cases
MAG:ps3:-COMPLETE/mint-$20

My total was $36.04 for the two games above.

I also picked up the case/artwork/manuals for the PS3 versions of both Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Aliens Vs. Predator.

If anyone is so inclined, I would be willing to trade one of my more valuable 'trade only' guides or pay a moderate amount for disc only copies of BF:BC 2 and/or AVP.

I'm also looking for a PS3 case/artwork/manual for Darksiders to complete the disc only copy I currently have....

bread's done
Back