Official LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS Thread !

[quote name='Zoglog']fanboy bloggers debating on thier own site.... great........[/quote]You're not like, questioning their journalistic integrity, or anything, right? I mean, it's a blog! It's high class! It's important!

Or, posts like those two are just sad.

1UP regarding the Wii controls:
[quote name='1UP'] Zelda doesn't play at all like a game that had a new control scheme grafted on well into the game's development. The Wii functionality is both intuitive and incredibly beneficial to the game -- frankly, it's difficult to imagine going back to the clumsy GameCube controller after a few hours of time with the Wii version. We're sure the GC game will be perfectly enjoyable, but on Wii, Twilight Princess becomes the fastest and most fluid Zelda game ever.[/quote]

Detailed break-down of the controls and how they work here: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3155175

Wow, one perfect score. How many more will come when all is said and done? How will the GC version fair when its release? Stay Tuned! ;)

Im really wondering if I should get this?

I havent really played the other Zelda games before so im not sure.....

[quote name='JokerCard']Im really wondering if I should get this?

I havent really played the other Zelda games before so im not sure.....[/quote]

You've missed out on some of the best games ever.

Get this, and play the rest as well. :)

[quote name='pop311']TSA gave it a 9.6 http://thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1163469393&archive=&start_from=&ucat=9&[/QUOTE]

Worst review ever. "THIS IS THE PERFERCT ZELDA GAME, WHICH ARE SOME OF THE BEST GAMES EVER. BUT I WANT TO MAKE SOME SORT OF STATEMENT ON WHAT A PERFECT GAME IS AND THUS IT IS NOT PERFECT SOMEHOW."

So, what's up with Gabe's post about Zelda on Penny Arcade? Aside from that jackhole at Joystiq, he's the ony serious source I've seen say it ISN'T one of the best looking Gamecube games ever. Why are his impressions so different from everyone else that call the game "gorgeous"?

It makes me think..if TP gets scores in the 9s and 10s, will the GCN version get JUST as good?? Now I know the 2 control differently, but will it be fair to rate the GCN version in comparison to the Wii version? No, but I can see it happening. Siigh

[quote name='Blind the Thief']So, what's up with Gabe's post about Zelda on Penny Arcade? Aside from that jackhole at Joystiq, he's the ony serious source I've seen say it ISN'T one of the best looking Gamecube games ever. Why are his impressions so different from everyone else that call the game "gorgeous"?[/quote]
I have to wonder if maybe PA didn't get ahold of Component cables and are playing it on an HDTV. Or maybe it's just all subjective. :)

[quote name='Blind the Thief']So, what's up with Gabe's post about Zelda on Penny Arcade? Aside from that jackhole at Joystiq, he's the ony serious source I've seen say it ISN'T one of the best looking Gamecube games ever. Why are his impressions so different from everyone else that call the game "gorgeous"?[/QUOTE]

Son, you're old enough to know the truth:

Gabe is a graphics whore.

He also looks nothing like his cartoon self, but you probably knew that.

[quote name='lilboo']It makes me think..if TP gets scores in the 9s and 10s, will the GCN version get JUST as good?? Now I know the 2 control differently, but will it be fair to rate the GCN version in comparison to the Wii version? No, but I can see it happening. Siigh[/quote]

That doesn't even freaking make sense. It's basically the same game just different controller, so all they have to rate it differently from the Wii is the controller...wow

[quote name='Tybee']Son, you're old enough to know the truth:

He also looks nothing like his cartoon self, but you probably knew that.[/QUOTE]

neither of them look anything like their cartoon selves :lol:

I would call that sad, but they're rich from it, so more power to them!

[quote name='Tybee']Son, you're old enough to know the truth:

He also looks nothing like his cartoon self, but you probably knew that.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I knew that, but he mentioned RE4 and Wind Waker looking great, and this not being up to snuff...which is contrary to every other preview I've read. I don't get it.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']So, what's up with Gabe's post about Zelda on Penny Arcade? Aside from that jackhole at Joystiq, he's the ony serious source I've seen say it ISN'T one of the best looking Gamecube games ever. Why are his impressions so different from everyone else that call the game "gorgeous"?[/QUOTE]
I was actually not blown away by the graphics. It looks good, but I expected a little better. I'd say it's inferior, graphically, to RE4 and even MGS 3. I think they just stuck too close to the confines of OoT's character designs. The models are a little generic and stiff, and the textures are a little muddy -- especially on some camera angles.

[quote name='lilboo']It makes me think..if TP gets scores in the 9s and 10s, will the GCN version get JUST as good?? Now I know the 2 control differently, but will it be fair to rate the GCN version in comparison to the Wii version? No, but I can see it happening. Siigh[/QUOTE]
They have to review the game in the confines of the platform it's on. They can't fault the GC version for not having Wii's control. That'd be like complaining that the PSP version of Tomb Raider Legend doesn't look as good as the 360 version.

[quote name='ViolentLee']They have to review the game in the confines of the platform it's on. They can't fault the GC version for not having Wii's control. That'd be like complaining that the PSP version of Tomb Raider Legend doesn't look as good as the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Or like knocking a Wii game for looking worse than a 360/Ps3 game...OH WAIT.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Or like knocking a Wii game for looking worse than a 360/Ps3 game...OH WAIT.[/QUOTE]
That's true, but it'll take time to shake the perception that Wii games should be judged -- visually at least -- against current-gen titles instead of next-gen. Graphical boosts have always been synonymous with new hardware until now. It's a tough perception shift.

i'm never really impressed by graphics that are supposed to be realistic.

i like it when designers try to make the world you're going into seem cohesive which then accomdates for the problem of "realism."

Another review - Gamerz-Edge 10.0

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a very rare experience. It’s a game where all of the pieces seem to fall into place in just the way necessary to create so seamless, so addictive, so unique an experience that it just feels right from start to finish. Apart from the classic Zelda action, of which there is plenty—more than ever before—in the game, Twilight Princess introduces some truly innovative gameplay elements and improves upon existing ones with an uncommon level of polish and attention. The game is simply overflowing with creativity; with its brilliantly-designed dungeons, legendary boss battles, engaging storyline, and rich cast of characters, it easily surpasses nearly every other game in its genre.

That said, some people are concerned primarily about its contentious graphical presentation; the sometimes-blurry textures. Do they hurt the overall appearance of the game? Yes. Perhaps the most important question, however, is whether they hurt the game enough to place it below the status of other “ten out of ten” legendary games. Here, the answer is a resounding “no.” The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is one of the greatest videogames ever created. It isn’t perfect—no game can make that claim—however, Twilight Princess is head and shoulders above nearly every other game I have ever played. It’s indubitably better than Ocarina of Time. It blows away The Wind Waker. And it has a sense of personality and careful balance that instill the player with a serious drive to complete it—something that many other very long adventure games, such as Oblivion, lack.

This is the first game that I have ever awarded a 10 in my six years as a reviewer, and for good reason. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is one of the defining videogames of our time. It is unquestionably one of the finest games ever released, and it is one that any gamer should experience regardless of the circumstances.

Honestly the Zelda graphics look awesome to me, ignore people like Gabe from PA who is one of the worst rich artists on Earth (I love PA, but Gabe sucks at drawing).

[quote name='willardhaven']Honestly the Zelda graphics look awesome to me, ignore people like Gabe from PA who is one of the worst rich artists on Earth (I love PA, but Gabe sucks at drawing).[/quote]

Agreed on all counts.

Wow that is one darn awesome review...I sometimes wish Nintendo would spend this much time on each of their games and just release like one killer 10/10 title a year or something. I knew it'd get good reviews, but I didn';t think it would be so good...

[quote name='Spades22']Wow that is one darn awesome review...I sometimes wish Nintendo would spend this much time on each of their games and just release like one killer 10/10 title a year or something. I knew it'd get good reviews, but I didn';t think it would be so good...[/QUOTE]
It doesn't take much to get a 10 from a site that replaces S's with Z's. ;)

[quote name='Spades22']Wow that is one darn awesome review...I sometimes wish Nintendo would spend this much time on each of their games and just release like one killer 10/10 title a year or something. I knew it'd get good reviews, but I didn';t think it would be so good...[/QUOTE]
that review was very good indeed. I didn't expect anyone to view it better the OoT, but he is really making me want to play it...

Snowboarding in a Zelda game??? Freaking amazing.

I honestly never liked OOT, but loved Wind Waker. I think the only reason though was cause I never had the chance to play OOT when it was in its current gen, and I find it hard to enjoy games from like 8 years earlier when I finally discover them...at least when the graphics change so much.

Either way have you seen those new IGN videos? That one vid where there are all those monsters, like 10+, coming after link and he takes em all is a sweet one. I can see this working for the wii quite a bit after watching this

[quote name='botticus']I've only played a half hour of OoT and an hour of Wind Waker. :D[/QUOTE]

You might what to pass on the Wii alltogether.

[quote name='tayaf69']that review was very good indeed. I didn't expect anyone to view it better the OoT, but he is really making me want to play it...

Snowboarding in a Zelda game??? Freaking amazing.
[/QUOTE]

Hey, it did wonders for FFVII as well :lol: :p jk. nothing could ever be that bad, again.

[quote name='botticus']I've only played a half hour of OoT and an hour of Wind Waker. :D[/quote]
Haha, I might have played 2 hours or so total in OoT, but I'm about to beat Wind Waker with probably at least 20 hours in it (I have no idea really, probably like 40 hours or something) so I'm really looking forward to twilight princess.

I'm really curious if the people who played Zelda and said the graphics weren't so good played it in 480p.

Because the videos i've seen and impressions i've read from people who have played it with the Component cables say it looks great and it really impressed them. Hands down better the Resident Evil 4 in 480p.

A lot of people i've noted have said they played it on an HD set in 480i analog. It's important to note that 480i images look like ass on a HDTV i.e. much much worse then if seen on a SD tv. A lot of people don't know this.

I know this is a bad question, but component cables are the coloured things you get in the system? I've seen it awhile and don't really know lol. And I'm glad it looks better on a normal TV cause thats all I got =P.

Oh and for the record in OOT furthest I've gotten is to the Forest Temple as adult link and I've beaten Wind Waker probably around 5-6 times ^_^

[quote name='j.elles']I'm really curious if the people who played Zelda and said the graphics weren't so good played it in 480p.

Because the videos i've seen and impressions i've read from people who have played it with the Component cables say it looks great and it really impressed them. Hands down better the Resident Evil 4 in 480p.

A lot of people i've noted have said they played it on an HD set in 480i analog. It's important to note that 480i images look like ass on a HDTV i.e. much much worse then if seen on a SD tv. A lot of people don't know this.[/QUOTE]

I played it at Nintendo HQ, so I don't know the setup they had. The TVs were about 36-inch flatscreens, from my estimation. It's not always a matter of resolution or whatever; the graphics just aren't uber-advanced. Like anyone who's not Link looks really plain, and textures just aren't very detailed. But again, it doesn't really detract from the overall experience. At least the draw distance and framerate seemed good enough.

[quote name='Spades22']I know this is a bad question, but component cables are the coloured things you get in the system? I've seen it awhile and don't really know lol. And I'm glad it looks better on a normal TV cause thats all I got =P.

Oh and for the record in OOT furthest I've gotten is to the Forest Temple as adult link and I've beaten Wind Waker probably around 5-6 times ^_^[/QUOTE]

Component cables break the video signal into three parts, usually recognized as red, green, and blue connectors. Composite just uses a single video input, usually colored yellow. Even if you have a regular (480i) TV, your best bet is to go with component or S-video, if you can, both of which represent a significant improvement over composite.

Ah cool I never knew that =/, I've always used RF or those ones that come in the box. So even if I used composite for like gamecube or PS2 would that also make the graphics better?

Oh ya and where do you actually plug the "red green and blue" in...when I look on my vcr or TV all I see is red/yellow/white(which are the ones I sometimes use, i guess they'd be composite)

And...I haven't wanted a game so bad for years...

[quote name='Spades22']Ah cool I never knew that =/, I've always used RF or those ones that come in the box. So even if I used composite for like gamecube or PS2 would that also make the graphics better?

Oh ya and where do you actually plug the "red green and blue" in...when I look on my vcr or TV all I see is red/yellow/white(which are the ones I sometimes use, i guess they'd be composite)

And...I haven't wanted a game so bad for years...[/quote]

Your TV (and maybe your DVD player, or Tuner, depending on your Home Theater set up) would need to have the jacks on the back of the set. MOST new TV's in the midrange, and ALL the TV's in the high end range, have them.

Do you know what the make and model of your set is?

You should also have a video mode for component if it's available on your TV (for example, my TV goes through Video 1, Video 2, and Component). Might be easier than looking at the back of your TV.

Hmm well I just looked at my TV I use for my GC and it doesn't have ANY of those composite things on it, just an RF adapter which is what I always used. I looked on the one with my PS2 though and it does have one set of red,green, and blue cables on it...so I think I'll use that one since it's a much nicer place than my gross basement in terms of actual room, how much sun I get in, and the coziness =p. And for the Wii maybe it will actually be fun to play with my siblings sometimes since its not very difficult to play and maybe they can actually challenge me xD

Oh ya only thing I dont like though is that that TV is used often while the one I use in the basement is always free.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I played it at Nintendo HQ, so I don't know the setup they had. The TVs were about 36-inch flatscreens, from my estimation. It's not always a matter of resolution or whatever; the graphics just aren't uber-advanced. Like anyone who's not Link looks really plain, and textures just aren't very detailed. But again, it doesn't really detract from the overall experience. At least the draw distance and framerate seemed good enough.[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure. I've read from people who played a lot on the Composite and then switched to the Component and they all said it was Night and Day better. Everything looked sharper, more detailed, et al.

Anyway I'm nervous because the Components are sold out. I have a SD tv but I still hope there right and BestBuy or Gamestop has them.

I notice a HUGE difference ,on my gamecube and PS2, between RCA and Component..heck, I notice a difference between S-Video and Component. The edges are just much sharper and everything has better contrast and color saturation. Of course, I'm playing on a 50 inch DLP HDTV, so the TV is CAPABLE of taking advantage of the better connections. That might be part of it...I don't know.

[quote name='pilferk']I notice a HUGE difference ,on my gamecube and PS2, between RCA and Component..heck, I notice a difference between S-Video and Component. The edges are just much sharper and everything has better contrast and color saturation. Of course, I'm playing on a 50 inch DLP HDTV, so the TV is CAPABLE of taking advantage of the better connections. That might be part of it...I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Component is the only way to go with an EDTV or HDTV. There's no debate. But even for a standard definition TV, S-video will be a massive improvement over composite, and component a slight improvement over that.

bread's done
Back