Official Microsoft Points and Xbox Live subscriptions Deal Thread - Read rules in OP!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Xbox Live Subscription and Microsoft Currency deal thread!

This thread is for in-store or online deals on Live subscriptions or Microsoft currency/Microsoft Points.

It is NOT for:

• Discussion of Bing Search and using Bing to get currency or other rewards
  • Discussion of exploits related to receiving a free month of Xbox Live
Happy gaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
12 Month card is now $33.94 on Amazon.

Just ordered one an hour ago and the price dropped in the past few minutes, already got a $5 GC from CS.

Didn't hear about the $30 Ebay card until now, guess thats what happens when you try to squeeze out every minute of those 48 hour cards.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I saw it last night thinking it would be sold out... It wasn't so I immediately bought 2. I can't believe it's still up.[/QUOTE]

Can't find it...link please?

Ugh. what's the cheapest sale price points have been at lately? I need more points, but don't want to save the measly dollar that Amazon offers. Yes I guess it's nice because of no tax too, but I'm a cheapass, man. :p

[quote name='thrustbucket']It seems like Microsoft has decided they don't like people being able to convert money into more money, which is why we never see point deals anymore.[/QUOTE]

Got a link?

I've read multiple times, no links to back it up, maybe same info he was referring to that next gen M$ would like to venture away from a points system and just do dollar amounts. They originally loved it because everything seems cheaper since you and paying 400pts instead of $5 but quickly the codes were discounted alot and developers still getting X for the sale while M$ is getting Z for the points.

[quote name='$hady']I've read multiple times, no links to back it up, maybe same info he was referring to that next gen M$ would like to venture away from a points system and just do dollar amounts. They originally loved it because everything seems cheaper since you and paying 400pts instead of $5 but quickly the codes were discounted alot and developers still getting X for the sale while M$ is getting Z for the points.[/QUOTE]

And it's not like Sony and Nintendo dollar cards have never been on sale either. I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be some shadow economy that works off Microsoft point cards, so they might as well just switch to cash. Just give everyone the trade value in their country in cash, and be done with it.

Also, the reason to do point cards was then Microsoft didn't have to run credit card transacations on the $5 charges, or even lower denominations if you're buying games that are 80 points/$1. That point card that sells for $19.99 at a retailer gave MS the same profit margin regardless, since it was a fixed cost. But with CC transactions often a flat fee plus a percentage, the lower the transaction amount, the less money in MS' pocket. I think the points idea is dumb, but the ability to buy a stored value without having to turning of CC information is a win for the consumer.

[quote name='$hady']I've read multiple times, no links to back it up, maybe same info he was referring to that next gen M$ would like to venture away from a points system and just do dollar amounts. [/QUOTE]

Not next gen, that's happening by the end of this year.

[quote name='Corvin']Not next gen, that's happening by the end of this year.[/QUOTE]

Link? I have heard that M$ is considering no more points but i assumed it would be with the next gen.

I am also wondering if the next one will have a paid gold sub and if they get rid of that, what will happen to all those gold cards. Makes me not keep much more than a year extra at a time.

[quote name='Greatwhitecoley']Link? I have heard that M$ is considering no more points but i assumed it would be with the next gen.

I am also wondering if the next one will have a paid gold sub and if they get rid of that, what will happen to all those gold cards. Makes me not keep much more than a year extra at a time.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK the switch from point to real money is just a widespread rumor at this point.

Gold most likely isn't going anywhere. It's almost like free money for Microsoft and they have little motivation to change that. Until either Sony or Nintendo can pose a real challenge to Live, things will probably continue as they already are.

[quote name='Thrinn']Gold most likely isn't going anywhere. It's almost like free money for Microsoft and they have little motivation to change that. Until either Sony or Nintendo can pose a real challenge to Live, things will probably continue as they already are.[/QUOTE]

Gold isn't going anywhere... Sony will be charging next gen for online play. (No source, just looking at their bottom line and how much they let their network security suffer because it was a free service.)

MS Points... I really don't see this going anywhere... I'm just not sure what is to be gained by it as the article Bloomy posted (Thanks BTW) didn't do anything to convince me otherwise.

Which do you guys think is the better overall deal?

The 6 months of gold and 5 free games for $40

or

The 12 months of gold and 1600 MSP for $45

For me, the year with 1600 points is a steal... You have an entire year of live and you get to choose what to get with those 1600 points. The other deals really isn't too bad though.

I THING Toys R Us has points cards on sale for 15% off this week. I was there, but forgot to confirm the MS Points price as I was only buying PSN cards (which are confirmed to be 15% off). Nothing was marked, but I took my $20 PSN cards up to the register and they rang up for $17 each.

Was originally posted in the TRU weekly ad thread, but in case anyone missed it I figured I'd post it here.

Original TRU thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318595

EDIT: Confirmed by sylveranking that they are on sale for 15% off. Thanks!

Round of Newegg customer appreciation coupons just went out, the 360 accessory coupon brings a 1600 point code to 15.19$.

Hey guys. I was thinking of converting my Gold over to a family plan. Then my son and daughter can have gold accounts. I would only have to pay $5 to do it for the year. Does anyone know the cheapest way to extend it past the year? Would it be best to buy a cheap 12 month and 3 month cards and convert them into a family?

[quote name='Narsis84']Round of Newegg customer appreciation coupons just went out, the 360 accessory coupon brings a 1600 point code to 15.19$.[/QUOTE]

Wow, didn't think it would work on MS Points, thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='mer71']Hey guys. I was thinking of converting my Gold over to a family plan. Then my son and daughter can have gold accounts. I would only have to pay $5 to do it for the year. Does anyone know the cheapest way to extend it past the year? Would it be best to buy a cheap 12 month and 3 month cards and convert them into a family?[/QUOTE]

YMMV, but I believe that when I switched my family members from individual to Gold, they were given 1/4 credit to the family plan. Since $100 a year covers 4 people, even if you find $30 deals you're not going to save money as you'd spend $120 for 4 indys vs. $100 for family. If you can find 1 year gold cards for less than $25, then add them to the indys before going gold. Otherwise, don't bother.

I can't say I know what would happen if I tried to redeem a indy plan now that I'm family, but I suspect MS might just deny the card. Don't want to risk scratching a card and then having to return it. I have a 1 month card I got when I had to have one of my 360s repaired, so I've thought about testing it with that card. If it didn't work, I'd just give it to a friend since the resell market for a 1 month can't be that great.

[quote name='Deezul']YMMV, but I believe that when I switched my family members from individual to Gold, they were given 1/4 credit to the family plan. Since $100 a year covers 4 people, even if you find $30 deals you're not going to save money as you'd spend $120 for 4 indys vs. $100 for family. If you can find 1 year gold cards for less than $25, then add them to the indys before going gold. Otherwise, don't bother.

I can't say I know what would happen if I tried to redeem a indy plan now that I'm family, but I suspect MS might just deny the card. Don't want to risk scratching a card and then having to return it. I have a 1 month card I got when I had to have one of my 360s repaired, so I've thought about testing it with that card. If it didn't work, I'd just give it to a friend since the resell market for a 1 month can't be that great.[/QUOTE]

Right now, my gold indy is good til 10/13. So, to convert would cost me $5. I was thinking of letting the gold family expire in a year and revert back to a indy. Then add 15 months on the cheap, then switch over to a gold family again.

Had to leave my 2nd negative in the last 2 weeks. First, the game was never received and I got no responses to pms to the seller. Today, I received an unplayable, broken game. Shitty.

Ok, here we go:

Amazon Local has $25 voucher to spend at yoyo.com for $12. Works in Salt Lake City, my guess is it will work for most areas, otherwise just buy one from Salt Lake City, I've never had problems buying from places like Los Angeles on Amazon Local Deals before:

http://local.amazon.com/salt-lake-city

Yoyo.com has 1600 and 4000 MS Point cards for retail price, and free 2 day shipping if you spend over $25 for the month of May. I bought two 1600msp cards to qualify for the free shipping, the code worked just fine. So $14.98 to yoyo.com and $12 to Amazon Local ($26.98 total) for $40 worth of Microsoft Points.

I have never heard of yoyo.com before, but if Amazon Local is vouching for them I think they'll be fine. I already got my order confirmation and estimated delivery date of Wed., May 9.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Ok, here we go:

Amazon Local has $25 voucher to spend at yoyo.com for $12. Works in Salt Lake City, my guess is it will work for most areas, otherwise just buy one from Salt Lake City, I've never had problems buying from places like Los Angeles on Amazon Local Deals before:

http://local.amazon.com/salt-lake-city

Yoyo.com has 1600 and 4000 MS Point cards for retail price, and free 2 day shipping if you spend over $25 for the month of May. I bought two 1600msp cards to qualify for the free shipping, the code worked just fine. So $14.98 to yoyo.com and $12 to Amazon Local ($26.98 total) for $40 worth of Microsoft Points.

I have never heard of yoyo.com before, but if Amazon Local is vouching for them I think they'll be fine. I already got my order confirmation and estimated delivery date of Wed., May 9.

Also, they gave me a referral code to share (TYLE6862) which should give new customers 20% off their first purchase. Might not work with the Amazon code, but it's worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, needed a points refresh. The referral code didn't stack with the Amazon Local voucher.

LOL, I was too late on this one and wasted $12. 4000 point cards were already out of stock, and 1600 point cards went to limit 1 and then to unavailable as I was trying to check out. Maybe I'll be able to use it on something before the code expires in three months, I guess.

1600 point cards are now magically back in stock, and it let me order 2 of them and use my code. Maybe somebody at yoyo got a little overzealous earlier today?

[quote name='simmias']1600 point cards are now magically back in stock, and it let me order 2 of them and use my code. Maybe somebody at yoyo got a little overzealous earlier today?[/QUOTE]

great, but now the gift card counts itself as "used" after my cancelled order. shit
btw 1600 is out of stock

bread's done
Back