OFFICIAL MSRP Vita Price reduced to $199.99

Twitter

Banned
Last edited by a moderator:
On my tablet so just a qiluck search and may not be entirely accurate ....Well... Looks like Michigan has a flat 4.35% + $0 income tax rate vs my mostly 9.30% + $2059... With a ?9.75%? Sales tax... damn, I am moving to Michigan!
For tax alone, I would move to any other state.

I bought a ps vita instant game collection bundle from GS yesterday, it was their last one. I opened it up last night and noticed the seal on the inner box was broken. I took it back this morning, I'm not paying full price for an open box/used vita

I bought a ps vita instant game collection bundle from GS yesterday, it was their last one. I opened it up last night and noticed the seal on the inner box was broken. I took it back this morning, I'm not paying full price for an open box/used vita
Mine was the same way when I bought it the week of the MSRP drop. I don't think this is a GameStop gutting, though, I think they come this way from Sony. The "inner" box is a full retail box for a no-frills Wifi/3G Vita. Rather than make all new packaging, I believe Sony opens up warehouse inventory, tosses in the extras, and slaps an additional cardboard sleeve with the new art and contents list. So, all of the IGC bundles will have a broken inner seal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm really liking mine so far, but I've only played one game of Star Wars Pinball, a tiny bit of Golden Abyss, and a lot of Guacamelee. Guacamelee is a lot of fun, but doesn't do much with the additional control options provided by the vita. Golden Abyss seems to try to do too much with them - it seems kind of like a tech demo at times, but that may be just because I haven't gotten very far yet.

Edit: 4 GB is way too small to do anything with. The 3 games mentioned above are about all I could fit, and I have since gotten rid of pinball to free up some space. I'll need to watch AWD for deals on a 16 or 32, or maybe go ahead and pick up the 32 GB "refurb" from GameStop.com.

Amazing that they dropped the OLED screen, that was one of the defining features of the Vita.

On the upside, I don't feel pressure to replace my white AC:L Vita for the newer model.

I wasnt wrong when I said TGS won't disappoint me. The new Vita is good, OLED is sacrificed for longer gaming, big plus is built in memory, well not much but better than none and 4FS the USB port, so there is a chance modders can make it a video-output. Last but not least new titles!!!

Amazing that they dropped the OLED screen, that was one of the defining features of the Vita.

On the upside, I don't feel pressure to replace my white AC:L Vita for the newer model.
I don't know ... LCD may be better. The OLED is nice, but it sucks in bright light and colors are incredibly oversaturated. I'll take a bit less pop for better color reproduction/consistency and better daytime performance.

Vita Slim announced guys, with 6 colors. Granted this is only in Japan so far but I'd hold off
While I welcome a new Vita model to broaden the install base of the system, the original OLED version is a better choice due to the nicer screen. But I'll probably pick up this new model just to have another option; already have one black and one white Vita anyway.

Lol ... Vita Inferior ... reminds me of the drop in quality between PSP revisions. The original PSP had such a nice, high quality build. Granted, those revisions actually improved the screen. Glad my white Vita won't need to be replaced anytime soon.

l.jpg

New Vita

Pros: 

Cheaper to Produce

1GB of Internal Storage

Thinner

Lighter

Better Battery Life

Micro USB Charger

New Start and Select Buttons

6 New Colors

Cons:

LCD

(Opinion) New plastic makes it look cheaper (Photo for reference)

Also introduced is a new 64GB Vita Card.

Conflicted whether or not to buy an old White Vita or buy a new slim one. Leaning toward a used one since the price would be drastically less.

^Remember that "Cheaper to produce" is not a pro for the consumer.  It's a pro for Sony.

I wasnt wrong when I said TGS won't disappoint me. The new Vita is good, OLED is sacrificed for longer gaming, big plus is built in memory, well not much but better than none and 4FS the USB port, so there is a chance modders can make it a video-output. Last but not least new titles!!!
I didnt see anything about new titles, I hope so though

No OLED = no deal. Sticking with my current Vita. I will take one of those 64 GB memory cards, though.
Why do we assume OLED is better? The iPhone 5 and HTC One have LCDs that are better than OLEDs in pretty much every technical respect. You may really prefer the OLED's saturated colors, but that's subjective. The OLED certainly adds a lot of pop to games. Its bad for streaming video though. Everything Ive tried watching on the vita looks off to me -- fleshtones, environmental refs/greens are off and don't look natural.

Sony's probably using a cheap LCD to cut costs, but a good panel could be better than OLED.

...LCD screen. As far as I know (it has been a while since I was last involved in display technology research), LCD will never be the same as OLED in terms of vibrant contrast and flexible viewing angle (which is important if you are lying lazily on the couch or in the bed). I hope we get a professional comparison review/video soon.

This is one of those occasions for me where I'm glad I got the older model when it dropped in price. I love the weight and the feel of the vita as is; It feels really good in my hands.

In a way it is, just sold separately as it allows for remote play from other TVs in your house
Yeah. It looks like the PS4 could just use compartments for playing Vita games.

Anyway, I think this is the realistic bundle that people wanted. This + PS4.

I feel like if they announce this for the US that the price will be more than the current Vita. I hope that isn't the case.
The Japan pricing suggests otherwise. The Vita 1000 is currently 19,980 Yen (almost exactly $200 at today's exchange rate). The Vita 2000 will launch at 18,980 Yen (about $190).

If we get the new Vita soon, I bet it'll be $200 just like the old one. It wouldn't make sense for them to change the pricepoint so soon after announcing the drop from $250. The built in 1GB of memory will reduce the effective cost for a lot of consumers and will help decrease purchase resistance.

While CAG's will want big memory cards, parents buying for kids could walk out for $200 plus a boxed game instead of $200, plus game, plus memory. The "you have to buy an accessory before you can even use your new device" thing had to be a marketing nightmare.

Why do we assume OLED is better? The iPhone 5 and HTC One have LCDs that are better than OLEDs in pretty much every technical respect. You may really prefer the OLED's saturated colors, but that's subjective. The OLED certainly adds a lot of pop to games. Its bad for streaming video though. Everything Ive tried watching on the vita looks off to me -- fleshtones, environmental refs/greens are off and don't look natural.

Sony's probably using a cheap LCD to cut costs, but a good panel could be better than OLED.
It's really not an assumption for anyone who has ever used an OLED vs an LCD. Having owned both a PSP and a Vita, there is no doubt in my mind that an OLED is far more impressive. Will the LCD on the new Vita be nicer than the PSP's screen? Quite possibly, but it's still a significant downgrade from the current screen. This new model is following the typical SONY formula of releasing an initial model at a loss with the best features and higher build quality, followed by a cheaper model with fewer features and lower build costs at a lower price within a year or two. It's happened with literally every Sony system I can think of. The one instance where a revision may have been superior is the PS3 slim, but the PS3 super slim still reflects the truth in their production model.

100 Percent Agree with this.

It's really not an assumption for anyone who has ever used an OLED vs an LCD. Having owned both a PSP and a Vita, there is no doubt in my mind that an OLED is far more impressive. Will the LCD on the new Vita be nicer than the PSP's screen? Quite possibly, but it's still a significant downgrade from the current screen. This new model is following the typical SONY formula of releasing an initial model at a loss with the best features and higher build quality, followed by a cheaper model with fewer features and lower build costs at a lower price within a year or two. It's happened with literally every Sony system I can think of. The one instance where a revision may have been superior is the PS3 slim, but the PS3 super slim still reflects the truth in their production model.

The PSP screen really isn't a good comparison. A better OLED vs. LCD side by side using modern technology and production techniques is to set a Samsung Galaxy S4 down next to an iPhone 5 and look at some photos. The OLED is more vibrant. IPS LCD is more accurate. Which is better becomes a question of taste more than specs.

High quality IPS LCD's outperform OLED in contrast and color gamut/accuracy. OLED has much better black levels and higher peak brightness (but no one uses a mobile screen at max brightness -- that's a showroom feature). Low end LCD's have terrible viewin angles, but IPS and OLED are both pretty much 170+ degree views.

Is anybody else confused by the vita tv...It cant play all vita games cause of the touch rear/front and what resolution can it remote play a ps4 game on a normal tv? Plus you can only have 2 active portables on an account at any time....currently i am sitting with 1 psp 3000, 1 Go and 2 vitas...god I miss the days of 5 activated systems. & No I never did gamesharing..

So i'm finally going to take the plunge with the recent price drop and get a Vita. I'll probably pick up a 8GB or 16GB card as I don't mind having to delete games every now and then, and it won't be my main system.

Does anyone have much experience with a VITA hard case? I'm looking at either the Dreamgear one (I like the one they make for 3ds) or the AmazonBasic's one. Pink would be lovely, but black is fine too.

I notice the HORI brand screen protector actually covers more of the system than just the screen. Anyone have experience with that - does it flake up or anything?

I have a bad feeling that the old VITA just isn't going to cut it for remote play with the PS4 and that they tweaked out the wifi or something in the new model to make it work.  As a VITA and PS3 owner, I can tell you that remote play is basically only good for RPGs and turn based games, even with a direct connection between the two.  Too much input lag.  

I'll never be using remote play anyway, most likely. For me the choice is 1gb of memory vs better screen. I'm getting a max memory card whenever I get a vita regardless.

kind of funny that Sony is dropping OLED with how much of a deal they have made of it...

LCD is fine, I have HTC DNA with super LCD 1080p 440ppi and it is beautiful.   Subjective preference aside, there is nothing wrong with good LCD.

kind of funny that Sony is dropping OLED with how much of a deal they have made of it...

LCD is fine, I have HTC DNA with super LCD 1080p 440ppi and it is beautiful. Subjective preference aside, there is nothing wrong with good LCD.
I totally agree with all of that except the HTC DNA because I've never even seen it.

Anybody considering a Vita should also consider one of these. It even has little pegs that come out of the back to hold the Vita up like a stand. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081EH12M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Vita, as it is, becomes very uncomfortable to hold after just a short time. I have this particular attachment and it doesn't cover the triggers or any openings on the top and bottom of the system. Snap it on and you're good to go. I haven't taken it off since I put it on a few weeks ago, but you can take it off if you want to put the Vita in a case. I no longer use my case, however.

LCDs can be OK, but I much prefer the Super AMOLED screen on my RAZR Max HD, colors really pop and blacks look great. Same goes for the Vita, the OLED screen has rich, nicely saturated colors and deep blacks. I'll probably pick up the new Vita just to have another option though.

Guys, there is a good chance the screen will be better than the OLED screen. They are probably using new technology they announced for Xperia Z1, the triluminous display, which from what I heard looks better than OLED.

I wonder though if they'll drop the price since it's cheaper to make? They'll probably keep the $199.99 price. But it doesn't look like they are doing a red colored one, so either way I'm passing.

I'll believe the screen is better when it's stated as such by reviewers. Until then, I'm going to assume that the screen won't be as nice simply given Sony's history and the way they are marketing this as “a more casual and easier to use model."

That sentence alone tells me that this is more of a competitor for the 2DS than some sort of Vita Deluxe model. But, then again, maybe I'll be proven wrong and have to hide away in shame with my original vita.

I'll believe the screen is better when it's stated as such by reviewers. Until then, I'm going to assume that the screen won't be as nice simply given Sony's history and the way they are marketing this as “a more casual and easier to use model."

That sentence alone tells me that this is more of a competitor for the 2DS than some sort of Vita Deluxe model. But, then again, maybe I'll be proven wrong and have to hide away in shame with my original vita.
At gamescom they made a point in gloating about Vita's screen, and I doubt they'd change it to look worse especially when they have the technology and are producing the new screen for another device they're making. But again, just speculation I guess.

The Vita, as it is, becomes very uncomfortable to hold after just a short time. I have this particular attachment and it doesn't cover the triggers or any openings on the top and bottom of the system. Snap it on and you're good to go. I haven't taken it off since I put it on a few weeks ago, but you can take it off if you want to put the Vita in a case. I no longer use my case, however.
Thanks, i'll be sure to take a look at one :) I haven't really held a vita yet beyond ~30 seconds, so if I have problems I'll know what to look for. I have small hands... do the grips make the reach for the thumbsticks further?

Most people have extra hand space so they either rest the fingers on the touchpad or curl them. The thumbs themselves don't present much of a problem. The sticks are near the edges. Thumbs are more outward than inward.

What do you think is a better deal:

A: Buying a Vita from Cowboom ($132.50), a Used 32GB Vita Card ($70) and a Year of PS+ ($50)

B: Buying a New Vita Instant Game Collection for ($200 With Warranty) and a Used 32GB Vita Card

In one hand I get a warrant, in the other I save $30 But I have to run around and get everything from different stores. 

At gamescom they made a point in gloating about Vita's screen, and I doubt they'd change it to look worse especially when they have the technology and are producing the new screen for another device they're making. But again, just speculation I guess.
Thing is, it is highly subjective... There are people that just feel that Samsung's S4is better than HTC Onei.

There are people that swear by the deep black tho ignore the gray white, those that believe they can see the pentile pattern and many still believe iphone's screen looks the best...

This is like buying TV. every panel looks a little different, they are all pretty much beautiful.... the only thing "wrong" about Vita going LCD is that we have been told how much better oled is and why Vita chose that technology and we have grown accustom to looking at it. LCD will be different, but not necessarily bad. I am sure many of us when we boot the same game on the new vita slim (ifi we do get one), we will notice how it is different than the old vita and think it is mostly bad and a downgrade, even if it may be be true technically. Same thing with PSP, I think overall, screen got a lot better but there are still many that believe it was a crap screen and a true downgrade. Beside the prejudice, some people's eye are really more sensitive and perhaps it will just bug them more til they adjust.

go to any cellphone score (well... at&T for HTC one and verzion for HTC DNA) and look at them vs Samsung S4 and other screen. some may prefer one over the other, but they are all fine imo with + and -.

but it is all sort of mute since I don't believe Sony has said what kind of LCD screen/spec on the new slim?

Anybody considering a Vita should also consider one of these. It even has little pegs that come out of the back to hold the Vita up like a stand. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081EH12M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh yeah, my $3 grips from Sears were an absolute lifesaver. I have fairly big hands and holding the Vita without the grips was not comfortable at all. With the grips it's perfect.

Here's the grips I'm talking about, just the cheapo ones sold by eforcity:

http://www.sears.com/eforcity-hand-grip-for-sony-playstation-vita-black/p-SPM6740658301?prdNo=25&blockNo=25&blockType=G25

They're awesome.

Thing is, it is highly subjective... There are people that just feel that Samsung's S4is better than HTC Onei.
There are people that swear by the deep black tho ignore the gray white, those that believe they can see the pentile pattern and many still believe iphone's screen looks the best...

This is like buying TV. every panel looks a little different, they are all pretty much beautiful.... the only thing "wrong" about Vita going LCD is that we have been told how much better oled is and why Vita chose that technology and we have grown accustom to looking at it. LCD will be different, but not necessarily bad. I am sure many of us when we boot the same game on the new vita slim (ifi we do get one), we will notice how it is different than the old vita and think it is mostly bad and a downgrade, even if it may be be true technically. Same thing with PSP, I think overall, screen got a lot better but there are still many that believe it was a crap screen and a true downgrade. Beside the prejudice, some people's eye are really more sensitive and perhaps it will just bug them more til they adjust.

go to any cellphone score (well... at&T for HTC one and verzion for HTC DNA) and look at them vs Samsung S4 and other screen. some may prefer one over the other, but they are all fine imo with + and -.

but it is all sort of mute since I don't believe Sony has said what kind of LCD screen/spec on the new slim?
As an LCD defender I think there's one bad thing about the move -- the OLED and LCD are going to have different colorspaces. Developers targeted the OLED and games like Uncharted: GA are going to look washed out on an LCD because they were designed and tested with the OLED's saturated colors in mind. New games can target both and should look great on both, but reviews of the LCD units using old games may not reflect its actual quality.

bread's done
Back