Official NHL 11 CAG Team - CheapyD All Stars - Hockey Nights Tue @ 10e / Fri @ 8e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when Matt got in, yeah. We pretty much just goofed around. Nate and Alan were quiet and Magic just quit. We must have disrupted everybody. Damn you Matt for turning me on to your Voice! Wait, what?

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Well, when Matt got in, yeah. We pretty much just goofed around. Nate and Alan were quiet and Magic just quit. We must have disrupted everybody. Damn you Matt for turning me on to your Voice! Wait, what?[/QUOTE]

No, it wasn't that bad. It was just like I said, people coming back to the game who haven't played a lot lately. Destro had the same thing happen with him the week before. He realized his data had been deleted and he had to use an amateur BAP, which was rough when you're going up against people with their Legend cards.

Basically, Destro, we went 1-9...and it's been a long time since me, Alan, and Magic took that kind of beating. Hopefully with 11, that feeling becomes foreign to the rest of the team as well.

yeah, that last time I played was rough as hell.

I think with the new game we can really do some things. looking forward to getting after it!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']No, it wasn't that bad. It was just like I said, people coming back to the game who haven't played a lot lately. Destro had the same thing happen with him the week before. He realized his data had been deleted and he had to use an amateur BAP, which was rough when you're going up against people with their Legend cards.

Basically, Destro, we went 1-9...and it's been a long time since me, Alan, and Magic took that kind of beating. Hopefully with 11, that feeling becomes foreign to the rest of the team as well.[/QUOTE]

Now I feel like the weak link. Damn me! DAMN ME!

But on a side note, 8 hours and I'll be on the road to BAP, hopefully getting better gear. Did they put up the gear yet on live?

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Now I feel like the weak link. Damn me! DAMN ME!

But on a side note, 8 hours and I'll be on the road to BAP, hopefully getting better gear. Did they put up the gear yet on live?[/QUOTE]

Nah, it looks like the only thing up is the demo still. I've had my Bauer pack code for a few days now but have been afraid to try it in case something fucks up and I have to go through the process of getting another one (I can only imagine the headache dealing with MS and GS). I'm guessing they'll put everything up tonight in the midnight - 3 AM range.

As for the CAG team, the common link between Alan, Magic, and myself getting better and being able to win more often than in the past is that we've all played over 500 games of OTP. It's not really that we're better than everybody. We just put in a crap ton of hours to learn how to stop the bullshit that people throw at you online. Once you spend enough time doing it, it becomes second nature. I'd love to see at least 6 people on the team with over 500 games this year. With that, there's no way we won't improve.

Hell, I'm pumped that everybody wants to get better. That's awesome! I want to see that fucking banner animation dammit! lol :)

With time, we all develop a chemistry. I know that Nate and I have played enough games together where when I have the puck as a Dman, he knows when to break in a direction on the breakout, and I can hit him with a ridiculously angled pass knowing that he will be there. This helps us be less predictable and gain easier access to the offensive zone. It's generally not something that can be "figured out" in a few games.

I hate this Gamestop. First they told me, it's 100% we will be having a midnight release. I Call today and the kid and manager both said they changed there minds cause there wasn't enough Pre-Orders. I mean sure, I can wake up in the morning and get it and rent another game at Blockbuster while I'm at it, but still. Pisses me off when they lie to me.

[quote name='moojuice']With time, we all develop a chemistry. I know that Nate and I have played enough games together where when I have the puck as a Dman, he knows when to break in a direction on the breakout, and I can hit him with a ridiculously angled pass knowing that he will be there. This helps us be less predictable and gain easier access to the offensive zone. It's generally not something that can be "figured out" in a few games.[/QUOTE]

Yup, absolutely. That's actually one of my favorite things about OTP. It replicates the feeling of playing on a real team pretty well. After several hundred games together, you just know each other's style. It's very rare that you and I get crossed up on a play. To have an entire team with that kind of chemistry would be freaking scary.

#3 / Pure Apathy / Pure Apathy / Not sure / LW/LD

I'll have the game within a week or two. I'm #2 overall on Goozex so it shouldn't take too long.

All right, Devin, Sean, and Shaun! This keeps getting better. I wasn't sure if Devin or Shaun would be getting the game.

I guess you have a lot of Goozex points, eh Devin? Because you do still have to pay for the online pass if you get it used, you know.

I'm picking up my copy after work tonight. I never played on the team with you guys last year, but I would love to play this year, if there is room for a newb. I'll gladly play defenseman, since that always seems to be the place of need from what I've read. I typically play these games single player and play through a season. I'd love to add a new twist to my NHL playing.

Argh.. so I found out today that I'm going on travel for work. I'll fly out on Friday and I'll be gone for 2 weeks. Why couldn't it have been BEFORE NHL 11 came out? :cry:

[quote name='Lokki']I'm picking up my copy after work tonight. I never played on the team with you guys last year, but I would love to play this year, if there is room for a newb. I'll gladly play defenseman, since that always seems to be the place of need from what I've read. I typically play these games single player and play through a season. I'd love to add a new twist to my NHL playing.[/QUOTE]

Cool, we'll be glad to have you. As for a position, really, whatever you're best at. Good defensemen are always an asset, and if you enjoy the position, then you should definitely have a good time since we've been trying to get our d-men more involved and work the puck around. It's not the "invisible position" like it once was...but being good at it is what's going to really make a difference.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Cool, we'll be glad to have you. As for a position, really, whatever you're best at. Good defensemen are always an asset, and if you enjoy the position, then you should definitely have a good time since we've been trying to get our d-men more involved and work the puck around. It's not the "invisible position" like it once was...but being good at it is what's going to really make a difference.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. It probably won't be until I get back from my travel though. I'm trying to get everything for that squared away right now. But I'm still going to KMart tonight to pick up my copy.

With the house finally built, the 2nd child born, and the "Man's Den" 75% finished... Captain OBVIOU5 is almost ready to come out of retirement. I am jacked to join you guys after a year off. I'll be on Fridays late, till the Batcave is finished. Ill have the beer beside me as per usual, but I wont be able to talk as the 'box is too close to the baby's room. I'm excited, see you boys on the ice.

All right. FINALLY got my copy! My piece of shit Wal-Mart actually didn't have the game. I don't understand the reasoning behind this since it obviously shipped early to avoid a Labor Day hold up. So, I ended up having to go to GameStop after all. About to set up the CAG team now. Stay tuned!

as I said in the party chat, looking to be on at about 9:30 or ten... looking forward to a couple hours of hockey if possible. good luck, should be sweet!

[quote name='Matt Young']All right, Devin, Sean, and Shaun! This keeps getting better. I wasn't sure if Devin or Shaun would be getting the game.

I guess you have a lot of Goozex points, eh Devin? Because you do still have to pay for the online pass if you get it used, you know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know that, it isn't a big deal to me though. There's also a chance the code might work too, everyone doesn't have Xbox Live you know. ;)

Hey guys, I plan to get my copy in the next week or two, right now I don't have a lot of money but this is #1 on my priority list.

Hoping to join you guys soon!
#10 | KasterDB | KasterDB | Kieran Shaw | Anything, but prefer LD/RD

So, you guys already finished for the night? I see most people are either offline or playing other games. I ended up having to wait for hours at the doctor's office because the stupid receptionist didn't properly enter my appointment information into the computer, so I sat in the waiting room for the entire day when I had a 2:00 appointment.

Anyway, I'll be getting on if anyone wants to play, though I must warn you: I am heavily medicated.

I only had enough time to go through the Tutorial thing and do a Play Now game to get a feel for the changes. Since I've never done the Online Team play before, where do I go to make my player? It's different from the Be A Pro player, right?

I'll try to get on there tonight to at least make my player so I can update the thread, but I'm heading out of town for 2 weeks, so I won't really be able to play until I get back.

[quote name='Lokki']I only had enough time to go through the Tutorial thing and do a Play Now game to get a feel for the changes. Since I've never done the Online Team play before, where do I go to make my player? It's different from the Be A Pro player, right?

I'll try to get on there tonight to at least make my player so I can update the thread, but I'm heading out of town for 2 weeks, so I won't really be able to play until I get back.[/QUOTE]
Sorta. I think it's called "My Pro" or something. I know the sub-categories are "Edit Attributes," "Hockey Shop," "Edit Pro," and "Performance Tracker."

I wouldn't worry too much about getting your information in this thread. It's more for a headcount and club invites, as we generally change our player names for the lulz every week.

I just got this game and it's the first hockey game i've played since nhl2k6. I'm pretty excited about it. I went ahead and joined the team as:

23 | Droogs | DroogsDontRun | Paul Reubens | Defense

So, good news and bad news.

Bad: Looks like EA made it so a club can ONLY have ONE game gaming at a time. Apparently this was to prevent Larger clubs from having an advantage in standings. I can't find the official source, but there is a hefty thread on the EA forums discussing this: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1963993.page

As for how this will effect our club...who knows. Thing I can think of is having one squad play while another uses practice mode to work out any kinks, and switch out as games finish. On the other hand, to be totally honest, there are a lot more roster players than actual players who show up on hockey nights. I don't recall having to split up all that often before in '10, so who knows.

Good news: What attribute does what: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1996120.page

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Anybody up for some OTP tonight, just send me a message[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I should definitely be up for some more games tonight. I've got 15 under my belt already. Unlocked my Rookie card last night, and I'm half way to my Pro card. The quicker I get my attribute upgrades, the better, haha.

[quote name='moojuice']Bad: Looks like EA made it so a club can ONLY have ONE game gaming at a time. Apparently this was to prevent Larger clubs from having an advantage in standings. I can't find the official source, but there is a hefty thread on the EA forums discussing this: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1963993.page [/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was the only logic I could come up with last night...that they're taking the online competition so seriously that removing a useful and functioning game component could be justifiable.

[quote name='moojuice']As for how this will effect our club...who knows. Thing I can think of is having one squad play while another uses practice mode to work out any kinks, and switch out as games finish. On the other hand, to be totally honest, there are a lot more roster players than actual players who show up on hockey nights. I don't recall having to split up all that often before in '10, so who knows.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I fear that some players will find practice boring, but in the two times we did it last night, it REALLY shows you how poorly you play your position. When you're playing against a consistent AI team that doesn't showboat/take chances/get lost, there is a very small margin for error, and any amount of puck chasing will leave you vulnerable as hell. This is how we got raped by the AI 7-1. Personally, I could play practice mode all day because if you can do it against the AI, you can do it against a human opponent.

As for the 2nd part...we did have a few times last year when we had at least 7 people on at the same time. I can remember spending some of that time playing private matches against each other, but I'm pretty sure we've had two club games going on simultaneously as well. Not often, but it could prove to be a pain in the ass on occasion.

The worst part about it is that it will reach a point where it forces you into a corner. For one thing, if we have 6, someone HAS to play goalie...not a big deal, sure. But then if the game can't find another team of a similar size (let alone one with a human goalie), we might not be able to find a game at all. There are times when breaking up 3 and 3 could help just to get a team to play you. So far, that's really my only complaint with the game. I get why they did it. But I didn't realize it was that big of an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my review of last night, it went pretty well. We finished 5-8-1 for the night. We lost our first two games, so if you consider those "warm ups", we finished 5-6-1...so pretty close to .500. Not bad for a first night of play. There's definitely room for improvement though.

It's hard to tell whether this can be attributed to low passing stats, but cross creases RARELY work...even on a 2-1 break, there's probably a 90% chance the d-man deflects the pass one way or another. On a 2-0 break, sure, go for it. 2-1 break, nobody would blame you for taking the chance. But anything other than that, and you're forcing bad passes. Either circle back/go behind the net and look for something else, or look for your d-men on the point. Chances are they will be wide open.

On that subject, PASS TO YOUR D-MEN. I got two separate complaints last night about people not passing the puck back to the point. I'm not naming any names because it doesn't matter, but we've gotta see the entire zone and not just the small area in front of the net. I think our first club goal of the year was off a deflection. By default d-men have harder slap shots than most players. Use them.

Lastly, since we are pretty much going to be forced to all play together this year (unless people just feel like avoiding each other...which is going to be hard to do when we play at set times), everybody needs to try to get along. There's a difference between jokingly picking on somebody and actively looking for trouble. If you're looking for trouble, go play Uno, and fight till your heart's content. Splitting the teams up is not an option, and I'm not kicking anybody off the team unless they do something obscene (well...unacceptably obscene, haha). Whatever shit exists between people, get over it, grow up, and play hockey.

[quote name='SeanAmI']I'd say saying the N-word multiple times is unacceptably obscene.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that was before there was a set consequence for it. Now let's drop the past, shall we?

[quote name='moojuice']Bad: Looks like EA made it so a club can ONLY have ONE game gaming at a time. Apparently this was to prevent Larger clubs from having an advantage in standings.[/QUOTE]
They didn't reset the club leaderboards for the people who got the game early, so preventing clubs from having an advantage is a load of BS. Maybe if they realize that no one thinks it's a good idea, they'll find a way to patch around it.

[quote name='SeanAmI']I'd say saying the N-word multiple times is unacceptably obscene.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But

1. It happened in NHL 10. New game...kinda hard not to give everybody a fresh start.

2. He was told that if it happened again, he'd be gone. He was also told that the best way to keep himself out of trouble was to keep his mouth shut and play hard. But that doesn't work if people are looking to pick fights with him. If he's not saying anything, but you're trying to instigate, who's the problem then? Ultimately, both sides should drop it and just play the game.

I was actually content with the amount of passes I received as a defenseman for the most part. Sometimes (referring back to NHL 10; only played 5 games last night) it can get annoying when no one wants to pass back out to the point, but the group I played with knows how to share the puck. I did change my player to a sniper, but I intend to play D the majority of the time. My slapshot rating is still pretty high considering I haven't earned a stat boost yet. I think I'm around 80 for power and accuracy. Hopefully, I can score more goals as well as create more rebound opportunities for our forward line.

I think things went really well in the 5 games I played with you guys. I'm just glad I was able to hold my own with how tired I was. I held on as long as I could, but I was barely hanging on during the last game. Still, we played well in general, and Sean and I did well in practice while you guys were kicking some team's ass in a game.

I'll definitely be playing tonight, but I'm still really groggy. I have a Madden game at 10 P.M. Eastern, but other than that, I plan to play NHL most of the evening.

I'm gonna play tonight again as well. If we have too many, I would sit out and play some HUT... which I actually think is really cool now that I understand it.

I always welcome advice in game if I'm doing something wrong, as well.

I find it much harder to score this year too.

Well, the game that stands out to me was the 2-1 win where I destroyed them on faceoffs, winning 35 of 38. We had like an 11:50 to 3:20 time on attack advantage, and they almost came back at the end and tied it up. I also don't think we outshot them by very much. We had the puck so much in the offensive end, but kept getting knocked over or forcing bad passes and losing the puck. I just felt like that game wouldn't have been anywhere near that close had we executed properly. At that point, it was getting pretty late though, so maybe everybody was just getting tired. It would just be nice to take advantage of those games when we're clearly better than the other team.

It was after 5 am when I finally called it quits and you guys were still going so it was probably just playing it for so many hours straight.

[quote name='SeanAmI']It was after 5 am when I finally called it quits and you guys were still going so it was probably just playing it for so many hours straight.[/QUOTE]

I think we played one more after you left, and the servers got shut down mid-way through the 2nd period, so that finished it for us. Looking back at the stats, the 2-1 game looks like our last official game, so it definitely was late. Hell, maybe that's why the guy couldn't win a faceoff to save his life. It was a good first night overall though.

I think the toughest thing to get used to is the damn passing, and that you have to make your decisions a little earlier this year because the timing is different...and if you want a hard pass, you have to hold the trigger longer. It would also be great if our guys could receive passes without it bouncing off their skates, stick, etc.

I might be a little late tonight. I'll probably get on in the 9:00-9:30 EST range.

Sorry I didn't play very long tonight guys. I played it part of the afternoon working on ultimate team and BAP and after our marathon session last night, was just in the mood to play something else. I didn't want to hurt the team by staying when I wasn't enjoying it as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back