Official NHL 16 Discussion/CAG Team Thread - EASHL Is Back! Join The Hershey Nuggets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry fellas. Got home and just passed out from playing too many games that day. Couldn't keep my eyes open at all.
Yeah, we thought you went to get ice cream instead of playing NHL...and we were all disappointed that we weren't smart enough to do that.

The night had its ups and downs. I think for right now, we do better with less people. Just something about the skating this year. It's so floaty and you bump into your own teammates so easily, you really just have to be disciplined with your zone and your movement without the puck.

Sometimes, unless you're just not moving at all, staying in one small area can be challenging. I feel like I'm always drifting and can't really plant and switch directions easily.

One funny thing was seeing trials end mid-game. Brandon was the first to get kicked. He got like a "Sorry, your 10 hour trial has expired." message and it just kicked him back to the dash. Then it happened to me about 10 minutes later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got ice cream and then went home. Pumpkin Pie Blizzard batches. Maybe next time we just all get ice cream and play castle casters.

Nate, I almost apologized to you on Saturday for continually getting stuck with me as a teammate in Rocket League lol.

Nate, I almost apologized to you on Saturday for continually getting stuck with me as a teammate in Rocket League lol.
Hahaha...it's all good. Steam says I've logged 50 hours in the game. Contrary to what many might think at first glance, a game about bashing a giant ball with turbo cars actually does take time and practice to improve at. The game really does have depth and intricacies that NHL could only dream of.

PC Gamer's Editor-in-Chief had a good quote about it in the opening pages of this month's magazine.

Getting physical

If you'd told me months ago that I'd be way into a game that mashes up Pong and driving, I would've given you my finest glare. Rocket League represents a rare thing: a bona-fide sport. Not like FIFA, which is more about management and background math. Rocket League is genuinely physical; it's about spatial awareness, about reading the rotation on the ball and automotive body language. My hope is that its success sparks a trend toward movement and physics becoming the foundation for more competitive games.
Like Brandon said though, whenever the hell the game comes to Xbox One, and we can get more people involved, we might find ourselves wanting to play that more than NHL, haha.

Hahaha...it's all good. Steam says I've logged 50 hours in the game. Contrary to what many might think at first glance, a game about bashing a giant ball with turbo cars actually does take time and practice to improve at. The game really does have depth and intricacies that NHL could only dream of.

PC Gamer's Editor-in-Chief had a good quote about it in the opening pages of this month's magazine.

Like Brandon said though, whenever the hell the game comes to Xbox One, and we can get more people involved, we might find ourselves wanting to play that more than NHL, haha.
Oh yeah, if it ever comes to Xbox, that's gonna be a helluva thing for us. We could probably make our CAG League, haha.

It's so addicting to play online. 3v3 is the best, but 4v4 chaos mode also provides a great time.
I think part of it is how smoothly it works. The matches are short and it takes basically no time at all to jump into the next one. The matchmaking is fast and the menus are snappy. It's way easier to navigate and get into a game than either Madden or NHL really.

I think 4v4 will be really good once they make bigger arenas (which they've already talked about). Right now...I think 3v3 is just the sweet spot for the size of the field. If the fields were bigger and people couldn't cover as much ground as quickly, they'd have to play positionally a bit more.

Is there really not anyway to bring/invite your party into a lobby? I only played two games last night and did not dig around a bunch, so maybe I missed something obvious. We were just searching for a game at the same time until we got a lobby together....which will be a pain in the ass with more people.

EDIT* We could select OTP and then invite a friend to the lobby to get them there, but no option to make it public after that.

So when I put my NHL 16 disc in today, it said thanks for purchasing the digital version of NHL 16 and gave me a bunch of packs as a bonus. Really weird.

Yeah, I ordered mine from bestbuy.com on Saturday after signing up for GCU (easier than going all the way back out there to pick it up). I didn't figure that would leave enough time for release date delivery...but they haven't even shipped it yet. Not sure what the hell the hold up is. The status just says "preparing for shipment". Hoping I have it for Friday at least.

So when I put my NHL 16 disc in today, it said thanks for purchasing the digital version of NHL 16 and gave me a bunch of packs as a bonus. Really weird.
I got the same thing. Didn't get too much out of any of the packs though. Big surprise I know. I really wish they'd just eliminate the damn coach cards. Out of those 10 packs, the 2 deluxe edition packs, and 1 preorder pack I think I pulled 8 duplicate coaches.

Edit: Actually I think it was one of those free 10 packs that I pulled a Cogliano and sold for 4k thanks to his 90 speed and everybody wanting him.

Apparently, Best Buy shipped my game by carrier pigeon because even though I did finally get a shipping confirmation email yesterday morning, the tracking still shows "no information available".

On top of that, an email I sent on Tuesday evening inquiring why it hadn't shipped yet was finally responded to today with this:

Thank you for contacting Best Buy.

I understand you would like to check the status of your order. I'll be happy to assist you.

In order for me to assist you further, I was able to request the code for you. Below are the details:

Keycode: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Description: NHL 16 Preorder Bonus Xbox One Digital Download AddOn

Thank you for your loyalty as a My Best Buy Member. For any other concerns, you may visit our Help Center at www.bestbuy.com.

Sincerely,

JP
Best Buy Customer Care
Seriously? SERIOUSLY??? What in the fuck...did I order this from fucking Comcast or something? Why in the fuck are we concerned with jobs in this country when there are morons doing this level of work? This asshat should be drop kicked in the face for sending that as a response. God dammit, man....

tl:dr - It's highly unlikely I'll have the game in time for tomorrow night. So, most likely, I'll join XBL party and play Rocket League with myself...assuming I'm not at Best Buy lighting the building on fire and punching everybody in the dick...even the women.

Wait, what is the add-on even? They arent doing any exclusive skates/gear are they? All the HUT pack codes should be pack ins, so maybe they gave you a game code? I dunno, but either way, thats a pretty dumb email.

Wait, what is the add-on even? They arent doing any exclusive skates/gear are they? All the HUT pack codes should be pack ins, so maybe they gave you a game code? I dunno, but either way, thats a pretty dumb email.
No, there's a HUT code they email to you for preordering the game.
Yeah, it's just the HUT code, which I've had since Tuesday at midnight when they emailed it to me. The guy was just a damned moron.

I wish I had like a direct line back to him so I can be like "Hey, fucking idiot. You actually didn't 'assist' me at all. Learn how to do your job." But I feel like that might be a little rude, lol :lol:

I'm probably the only one to go all Digital I'm guessing. I have no more disc games. Plus, I'm too lazy to get up to change the disc now.

I'm probably the only one to go all Digital I'm guessing. I have no more disc games. Plus, I'm too lazy to get up to change the disc now.
Yeah, it's weird that with PC games digital doesn't bother me, but for console it still does. Granted, I never buy $60 PC games either. I know there's the EA Access discount, but I can still get the disc for cheaper than that. So, I don't know. I just stick with it. I'm sure your house looks a lot less cluttered without all those cases though. I just have to keep building new shelves, haha.

I've been going digital with non-sports games. When we run into situations like we did with NHL 14/15, its nice to not have to keep both games eating up HD space, when really, its the same game.

Posting this in here too because of how much we all love EA. This happened in an online ranked game I played tonight.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSCYmDe7F1Q[/youtube]

I wouldn't say so much better. The game still doesn't punish stick spamming like it should and shortside wristers are still rampant while only being a little less effective. They also still fail to reward puck rotation by continuing to have goalies stand on there damn heads.

I wouldn't say so much better. The game still doesn't punish stick spamming like it should and shortside wristers are still rampant while only being a little less effective. They also still fail to reward puck rotation by continuing to have goalies stand on there damn heads.
Yup...that's everything I took out of the Beta/Early Access. I'm still not sold on "size matters" yet either (granted, my copy of the game is still on a donkey's ass somewhere and won't be here until Tuesday (good job, Best Buy choosing the shittiest mail service ever: UPS Mail Innovations).

Out of sheer curiosity, I actually looked on Gamestop.com to see if any local store had it used yet. Surprisingly, the PS4 version is already available to order used online, but the Xbox One version isn't at any store within 100 miles of me.

But yeah, I still saw little guys knock bigger players off the puck and also playmaker builds being caught from behind by defensemen. Just things that don't make hockey sense and play the same way they always have.

And stick spamming was rampant in our EASHL games. There's no excuse for skating ahead of a defender by a good 3-4 feet, with him squared up behind you (ie. not to the side), and he still somehow pokes the puck away. It doesn't make any sense. He should either be too far away to reach anything or he should trip you. And as always, if the game called more tripping penalties, people would back off on spamming. But I mean, who would want that right?

That's weird about Best Buy. I preordered my copy 1 week before release, but that was apparently too late for release day delivery. I didn't care too much since I knew I'd be playing the Destiny expansion that day anyway. My copy shipped via UPS 2nd Day Air on Monday and arrived on Wednesday.

That's weird about Best Buy. I preordered my copy 1 week before release, but that was apparently too late for release day delivery. I didn't care too much since I knew I'd be playing the Destiny expansion that day anyway. My copy shipped via UPS 2nd Day Air on Monday and arrived on Wednesday.
Yeah, I think they fucked something up and just won't tell me. Based on the tracking info, it only had to go a total of 35 miles.

If I had known it was going to take a full week, I would have just picked it up this weekend. Oh, well. Live and learn.

You could just delete the old one. I had to delete NHL 15 to make room for NHL 16.
What I mean is when we are playing both games at once, like we did with 14 for EASHL and 15 for HUT and fake OTP. Granted, it's less likely that we'll run into that again, but just in case.

I haven't even popped in 16 yet; are online leagues back?

What I mean is when we are playing both games at once, like we did with 14 for EASHL and 15 for HUT and fake OTP. Granted, it's less likely that we'll run into that again, but just in case.

I swear I read that as pooped in 16 yet.

I combed over the early access pretty good while we had it and didn't see them then. And considering they haven't mentioned them at all, I'd be shocked to see anything like that...even the old tournament style.

Ironically, while searching for info on Google, I came across this article. I feel like I wrote it, haha.

http://www.operationsports.com/features/2215/gm-connecteds-failure-wasnt-nhl-fans-fault/

It really baffles my mind that EA never considered season length to be a deterrent to the success of GM Connected. How is that not the most obvious thing?

Well, glory be. My copy of NHL 16 finally got here. I wondered how long it would take the post office to process it (Nashville has like a hub and spoke system). But they actually did decent with it and got it here today.

So, whatever you guys want to do tonight is cool with me. We can do all Rocket League, all NHL...or half and half. Maybe I should email JP from Best Buy and thank him for all his help. :lol:  :roll:  :wall:  :boxing:

I might be around for nhl. Some stuff went sideways last night both with work and at home. By the time I was done I was in no mood for EA shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back