Official Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver thread of 10 year nostalgia rush

I've heard D/P can actually make the distinction between Johto and Sinnoh originated Pokemon. I really think both Celebi and Jirachi should be catchable in game. (knowing Nintendo, they'll probably be G/S exclusive events)

Honestly from my perspective, this whole series needs a overhaul after this gen. There are nearly 500 of these guys and the mechanics of the Pokemon have nearly been perfected. I can't see how the 5th gen could improve upon what's been done.

I believe Game Freak really has to put these remakes out so they can buy time to a) figure out what to do next and/or b) animate the 600+ little bastards for the next gen. I'm definitely looking for to remakes though.

The game has coding to tell whether a Pokemon came from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh.

There's 493 of them.

[quote name='gaxur']Or it could be another Pokémon Snap![/quote]

I love Pokemon Snap! I played through most of it a few months ago after picking it back up from a CAG. I would probably prefer the G/S remake over anything else they might realistically make, although an MMO would always be nice. That would probably be my tipping point to buy a Wii.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why Game Freak didn't just make it so there'd be an even 500 Pokemon for D/P. Kinda like how 151 was the magic number for R/B/Y.

Actually, a new Pokemon Snap for Wii would be really exciting to me. I guess it'd be ok with the DS too..but I'd be more excited for a Wii version.

If it's a Snap remake I will be really upset.

GSC were the best Pokemon games by far. I REALLY hope they remake them. Has anyone played the Red/Green mods of the Gold remake? It's really incomplete but it's kinda cool.

Very cool! I don't remember why I missed out on Pokemon G/S originally.
It was eighth grade or something, and I was excited for them...

Was I the only fan of the GC Pokemon games? Sometimes I feel like I was. They were fun, but they were no replacement for the portable versions.

[quote name='blackjaw']milk milk milk milk milk

Wonder how long Nintendo can keep it up before ol' Pikachu runs dry?[/QUOTE]

A long time. Mario Kart Wii has sold 14.5 million units and half the tracks in that game are just remakes. There's enough young kids who have no idea what a Game Boy/Game Boy Color and Pokemon Gold/Silver are.

Yay... some pokemon games we wont be able to play for another year. =(

Hope they show some footage on the tenth though. The internet is a pain, there are no longer any reveals, everything ALWAYS gets leaked out. Unless you're Blizzard...

[quote name='blackjaw']milk milk milk milk milk

Wonder how long Nintendo can keep it up before ol' Pikachu runs dry?[/quote]

There is this company I would like to introduce you to, it is called "Walt Disney".

[quote name='whoknows']That's kind of cool.

Gold/Silver were the best ones anyways.

Nintendo really should just give in and make a Pokemon MMO. It would pretty much be free money.[/QUOTE]

Would be the only thing to have a chance at taking on WoW. Nintendo HATES the idea of managing an online community though.

They're not going to remake Crystal. We've already asserted that third games in a generation do not get remade.

[quote name='Nohbdy']They're not going to remake Crystal. We've already asserted that third games in a generation do not get remade.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, who remakes the remake, thats just absurd!

[quote name='Strell']I think everyone hates the idea of managing an online community.[/QUOTE]

True, but WoW hates it to the tune of a billion or so a year.

Yeah, but what are the operating costs of maintaining that? Everyone seems to think WoW is just a turnkey thing for Blizzard.

More to the point, though, no one likes babysitting, and every online community is slightly above a nation of four year olds. And in many ways, far below.

[quote name='Nohbdy']They're not going to remake Crystal. We've already asserted that third games in a generation do not get remade.[/quote]

Bah, never mind then. I barely made it through Pearl and haven't picked it up since I (just barely) beat the Elite 4. So much awful grinding in that game. I think that's the hint that my Pokemon OCD days are over.

[quote name='gaxur']Nobody here thinking it might be a console pokemon game-- not an MMO, just a pokemon game done in 3D, on the Wii? They've still never done it, besides the cop-out of the colloseum crap.[/quote]

Gale of Darkness XD

[quote name='foltzie']Would be the only thing to have a chance at taking on WoW.[/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Fusion Fall and Toon Town? Definitely. But World of Warcraft? That's a guaranteed negative, good buddy. As far as MMORPGs go, the two would have entirely different target audiences. I highly doubt they'd be able to convince WoW players to give up Azeroth for Pokemon.

[quote name='Strell']I think everyone hates the idea of *Nintendo* managing an online community.[/quote]

Fixed it for you.

And in case anyone is having brain freeze and thinks Pokemon MMO is a good idea, I have two words for you: friend codes.

A Pokemon MMO is the second most overrated "free money" (kinda hate that term) game behind FFVII PS3. In both cases, I think the people demanding the games actually have no idea how much it would cost to produce. Not only that, Game Freak has made it clear that they just don't want to make an MMO. If a developer's heart isn't in it, then their game is pretty much doomed from the start. Especially for a game that potentially huge.

They never said they never wanted to make an MMO, it's that an MMO would go against some now-odd mantra that having the games not be on a portable would not let you be in contact with other people.

Apparently Game Freak are oblivious to what one of the main aspects of the internet enables.

[quote name='Nohbdy']
Apparently Game Freak are oblivious to what one of the main aspects of the internet enables.[/quote]

Oh so, so, very true. The internet was invented for fighting. :)

I forgot to add that I can't wait for these games and I don't mind the absurd Mega Man Battle Network names. FR and LG weren't that much better. I am opposed to remakes on principle, but LG was some of the most delicious reheated leftovers I've had in gaming.

If my memory serves, Nintendo has next to no experience with MMOs. Sure, they had PSO, but that was mainly Sega running things. While I would love for it to happen, Nintendo has a history of keeping their main games under lock and key until it's deemed "perfect." Just imagine how long this would be in development for if it got the green-light.

In fact, just thinking about it makes me re-think how good of an idea this would be. How would it play? I catch Pokemon/battle other trainers in real-time? Seems like just using a DS would be easier on me and my wallet.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Fixed it for you.
[/QUOTE]

I hate it when I say something over someone's head and they don't get it.

If Nintendo ever attempted an MMO, yeah - they might resort to FCs. I'd like to think they'd restrict it in such a way that makes sense, but I sort of doubt.

On the flipside, I could completely see them taking a total hands-off approach, and letting Thunderdome law rule the land. 'Cuz at least then you can claim you don't care, don't care to control it, and therefore it's free to go as it pleases.

[quote name='Strell']I hate it when I say something over someone's head and they don't get it.[/quote]

No, just didn't want to pass up a chance for a pithy "fix" to your comment... :p

I hope so. The cheap battery in mine died out right as I was heading for the Elite 4. I never got to see the Kanto changes.

[quote name='soonersfan60']No, just didn't want to pass up a chance for a pithy "fix" to your comment... :p[/QUOTE]

If we ever meet up, I'm going to buy you a beer. And then hit you with it. :]

Isn't Dofus a turn-based MMO? It's not impossible, it's just not common. I think FFXI shows how well you can adapt a long running franchise to an MMO better than any other attempt, and Nintendo could certainly best SE in that.

If the developer doesn't want to do it, Nintendo could have someone else do it. No reason the main Pokemon team needs to work on it. As far as FC does, since a Pokemon MMO would probably be Wii or DS based, it would need a quick-chat system anyway. Or Nintendo could easily have a system where you have an adult call some toll free line to get a code to disable the need for Friend Codes, thus being able to say "You authorized these conversations, idiot" to any complaining parent. Orrrrrr just toss in some random cross-dressing scenes that are explicit enough to get the game an M rating, and say "why are you buying an M rated game for your kid".

[quote name='Strell']If we ever meet up, I'm going to buy you a beer. And then hit you with it. :][/quote]

As long as my mouth is open so I can catch some of the beer...

[quote name='Strell']I hate it when I say something over someone's head and they don't get it.

If Nintendo ever attempted an MMO, yeah - they might resort to FCs. I'd like to think they'd restrict it in such a way that makes sense, but I sort of doubt.

On the flipside, I could completely see them taking a total hands-off approach, and letting Thunderdome law rule the land. 'Cuz at least then you can claim you don't care, don't care to control it, and therefore it's free to go as it pleases.[/QUOTE]

Pokemon Eve?

HOLY SHIT......watched the pokemon sunday thing......and there was a 14 second footage of Gold walking around an incredibly updated New Bark Town (complete with wind effects!!!), and there was new art of the 3 Johto Starters. The kicker of the footage though: A CHICKORITA WAS FOLLOWING!!!!! Im going to link the video in 2 minutes. Also, release date is September in Japan.
EDIT:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Mm75hxX7Q

YOU ARE WELCOME

Watched the direct feed. Interesting stuff, even though it was pretty brief. Liked the remade music, and the Chikorita following the character around makes me wonder who it will apply to: Just the starters? Or any Pokemon in the 1st position?

bread's done
Back