Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Metagame, Friendcodes, Battling & Trading!

So, apparently, the Giratina figure that was offered in Japan for pre-ordering the game, is now be offered at major retailers as a pre-order incentive in America. It turns out as well, that Wal-Mart (may) be offering a pre-order bonus for Platinum that comes with a specal Platinum DS case and the figure.

[quote name='lilboo']There is a way to transfer your Pokemon from Diamond/Pearl...right?[/quote]
Uhh... The usual way? Just go and trade.

[quote name='lilboo']There is a way to transfer your Pokemon from Diamond/Pearl...right?[/quote]

Like yayece said, just straight up trade. It's no different then when it was when Yellow for Red/Blue and Emerald for Ruby/Sapphire came out.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The figure is showing on http://www.pokemon.com/ now as a pre-order bonus. It doesn't state which retailers, though.[/quote]

One of the blog sites (Kotaku I think) stated that Gamestop will start offering it to pre-orders taken from this coming Saturday onward. Other than that, I believe Wal-Mart will be offering the figure and a Giratina Pokemon case along with it for pre-orders, and I would also assume that both Target and Best Buy will be offering the figure as well.

[quote name='Nohbdy']What kind of case?[/quote]

I can't find any pics of what the case will look like, but I imagine it will look identical to the case that was packaged in with the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl DS Lite that was released late last year, only with Giratina on it instead of Palkia & Dialga.

Went to Target today looking for mighty muggs and wandered over into the DS section to find to my amazement, the Giratina Origin Forme pre-order figure available for sale for $4.99. I picked one up and I have to say, I'm incredibly surprised with how high quality of a figure it is. Great job Nintendo. It makes the wait for the English version of Platinum that much harder.

I preordered mine last Friday! I have only played my Diamond version to get Dragonite and Shaymin (very recently got a DS), but this game is getting me excited about getting back into Pokemon. There hasn't been an interation yet that hasn't stolen at least 100 hours of my life, and I'm sure this will be no different.

This is all so confusing to me.

I have the OG Blue, so I know that Blue and Red were the same game only with different pokemon you could get.

I also have Gold, which was like an entirely different game, except you could also go back into the first game's map, so it was like having 2 games (i think).

Finally, I have Diamond, which seems to be a region entirely different from the others (I'm not 100% as I've gotten stuck in what I assume the is equivalent of the Victory Road cave since its so fucking confusing and dark).

So how does Platinum fit into all of this?

[quote name='crystalklear64']This is all so confusing to me.

I have the OG Blue, so I know that Blue and Red were the same game only with different pokemon you could get.

I also have Gold, which was like an entirely different game, except you could also go back into the first game's map, so it was like having 2 games (i think).

Finally, I have Diamond, which seems to be a region entirely different from the others (I'm not 100% as I've gotten stuck in what I assume the is equivalent of the Victory Road cave since its so fucking confusing and dark).

So how does Platinum fit into all of this?[/quote]

There some slight story line changes, but other wise, it's just a middle version of Diamond/Pearl in the same vein as Yellow to Red/Blue, Crystal to Gold/Silver, and Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire. It has new storyline changes, offers catch-able pokemon in this version that were either exclusive to Diamond or Pearl, and offers some completely new content that wasn't available in Diamond or Pearl.

If you need a real in-depth explanation, you can PM with any questions you have.

Since I haven't gotten far enough to know, when you get farther along in diamond/pearl/platinum, are you able to visit the areas in past games?

I just looked up a wiki article trying to wrap my head around this, it looks like theres 4 major areas, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, and they all have different pokemon so there's some ungodly amount now.

In Platinum/Diamond/Pearl, can you eventually travel to all 4 of those regions?

[quote name='crystalklear64']Since I haven't gotten far enough to know, when you get farther along in diamond/pearl/platinum, are you able to visit the areas in past games?

I just looked up a wiki article trying to wrap my head around this, it looks like theres 4 major areas, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, and they all have different pokemon so there's some ungodly amount now.

In Platinum/Diamond/Pearl, can you eventually travel to all 4 of those regions?[/quote]

No, unfortunately not.

Red/Blue/Yellow took place in Kanto

Gold/Silver/Crystal took place in Jhoto (and later Kanto after you've beaten the main storyline and elite 4)

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald take place in Hoenn

And finally Diamond/Pearl/Platinum take place in Sinnoh. A large portion of the older pokemon are available after getting the National Dex in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, but for a good portion of the R/B/G/S/R/S, you'll have to import them from R/S/E/FR/LG on the gba.

after reading the nintendo email about the giratina pre-order promo saying amazon is one of the participating retailers, i emailed amazon how come the pre-order bonus doesnt show up on their product page. and they said theyre not offering it.

lame.

Does nobody have a Target near them? They offer the figure and should be giving it away already if you pre-order. I got mine last week.

Bumping to let anyone that has a Japanese copy of the game that the Rotom event (to get the secret key to open the room that has the items to change Rotom to its different forms) is ending on March 2 (Monday). This is the second time that this event has gone on and it's unknown if it will happen again for Japan.

I have diamond and I've got like 450 in my pokedex but is there a way to get the secret keys without cheats?

Can't wait till platinum so I can battle with my mew.

The secret keys give you access to a room that has items that make Rotom turn into its different forms, which don't exist in Diamond/Pearl, so unfortunately, no you can't get them in Diamond/Pearl.

The Secret Keys are only available for a limited time.

But it is possible to transfer it from a friend's cart via Mystery Gift.

Can i use mystery gift over WiFi. My new place has wifi but my is getting fixed. But your saying I can get those secret keys and Ticket thus mystery gift? Also I got awhile go a pkmn with the poke virus. Does this hurt or help my pokémon? Will it crash my game? Can I get rid of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Poke'rus is a good thing it's a poke'mon virus when leveling it'll gain more EV points or something like that serebii.net has more information on this. Eventually the effected pokemon will not have it anymore, but you can give the virus to your other pokemon in your party and keep one in the PC so it won't go away..

http://www.serebii.net/games/pokerus.shtml

The way PokeRus works is a little confusing at first, but it is VERY beneficial if you EV train.

Basically, PokeRus is a virus that your Pokemon can catch from battling wild Pokemon. I think the probability of catching it is like, 3/65000. What PokeRus essentially does is double the EV gain at the end of every fight to the Pokemon that is infected with it. For example, if you fight a Seaking, they give 2 EV's in the "Attack" stat. If the Pokemon you used is infected with PokeRus, it will double the EV gain and after KO'ing a Seaking, it will gain 4 EV's instead of 2. This is very helpful if you are EV training Pokemon for competitive play, since it can greatly reduce the amount of time you'd have to put into training one stat.

For how long PokeRus is contaigious, no one really knows the exact time frame, but I've always assumed it's contaigious for ~24 hours, but others have claimed it can last up to three days. At the end of that time frame, the virus is no longer contaigious and the Pokemon that was infected with it will have a smiley face when you look at them in your party. My tip on how to keep PokeRus alive in your game, is to infect a box full of useless Pokemon (I used abras, it doesn't matter what you use) to preserve it. As long as a Pokemon is locked away in a box, they will not lose the contaigious effects of the virus, however, if they are left outside of the box (ex: in your party), they will lose the contaigiousness of the virus like normal. I have a box full of Abras with PokeRus, so when I begin to train a new team for competitive play, I have the ability to infect everyone with the virus to make EV training go faster.

[quote name='SL4IN']The way PokeRus works is a little confusing at first, but it is VERY beneficial if you EV train.

Basically, PokeRus is a virus that your Pokemon can catch from battling wild Pokemon. I think the probability of catching it is like, 3/65000. What PokeRus essentially does is double the EV gain at the end of every fight to the Pokemon that is infected with it. For example, if you fight a Seaking, they give 2 EV's in the "Attack" stat. If the Pokemon you used is infected with PokeRus, it will double the EV gain and after KO'ing a Seaking, it will gain 4 EV's instead of 2. This is very helpful if you are EV training Pokemon for competitive play, since it can greatly reduce the amount of time you'd have to put into training one stat.

For how long PokeRus is contaigious, no one really knows the exact time frame, but I've always assumed it's contaigious for ~24 hours, but others have claimed it can last up to three days. At the end of that time frame, the virus is no longer contaigious and the Pokemon that was infected with it will have a smiley face when you look at them in your party. My tip on how to keep PokeRus alive in your game, is to infect a box full of useless Pokemon (I used abras, it doesn't matter what you use) to preserve it. As long as a Pokemon is locked away in a box, they will not lose the contaigious effects of the virus, however, if they are left outside of the box (ex: in your party), they will lose the contaigiousness of the virus like normal. I have a box full of Abras with PokeRus, so when I begin to train a new team for competitive play, I have the ability to infect everyone with the virus to make EV training go faster.[/quote]

not quite sure but after a pokemon is infected does it still gains double EV?

Did you guys read the blog post SkyHawk made called Whats Wrong With This Picture. Where he tried to called Pokemon digimon cause some fabric had some pics of pokémon with the word digimon across it. Then he tried to say that pokémon has had an epic fall. I made a comment. Go check it out and make one to.

He's a lame Digimon fanboy or so he says he is!!!

Looks sweet. Still trying to decide which store has the best deal. Dont need the action figure but that case looks cool. Might go to Wal-Mart if theyre not sold out. Might have to pre-order there.

The walmart seems like the best deal I hope the carrying case is decent on the inside also it seems amazon.com is not giving the figure for pre-order I think they were listed as the retailers, but they've been taken off on the poke'mon.com site.

I'm guessing the walmart poke'mon platinum pre-order deal is online only? I didn't see anything at the store when I've gone there.

I imagine the carrying case in the wal-mart bundle will be of the same quality as the carrying case included with the Pokemon Edition DS Lite that we got late last year. I'm already getting Platinum from work, but the oversize box with the case does look tempting. Anyway, 12 days until Platinum!

When DP came out- walmart had a similar box set- game & carry case.

The boxes were big, and they didn't sell all of them. They ended up going on clearance for $20 each. It was a good deal since by that point they were selling the bonus carry case for $15 bucks by itself, and the game was still 35.. They should of just had one of the stock guys part out the set...

So if I have Pearl which I have not finished, is it worth picking up this new one and using a second DS to trade and move over some of the more rare pokemon, then trade in pearl? lol/

[quote name='guardkitty']So if I have Pearl which I have not finished, is it worth picking up this new one and using a second DS to trade and move over some of the more rare pokemon, then trade in pearl? lol/[/QUOTE]

Platinum is going to be THE game because of added moves to all Pokemon, faster battles...

[quote name='Nohbdy']Platinum is going to be THE game because of added moves to all Pokemon, faster battles...[/QUOTE]

So once I transfer the rarer pokemon off my pearl , there is no use to go back to the pearl?

[quote name='guardkitty']So once I transfer the rarer pokemon off my pearl , there is no use to go back to the pearl?[/quote]
Once you go plat, you never go back

Pre-Ordered my copy from GS last thursday...:bouncy:

[quote name='Canuck']Aww man, this game is coming out 1 day before I come back to school from Spring Break D:[/quote]
Ill be playing platinum, while you're learning! MUHAHAHA my break doesnt end for a while...:D

Any advice on how to mass transfer Pokemon to plat when it comes out or any tips to prepare for plat? I only have 7 badges on my pearl version and a handful of event pokemon lol

bread's done
Back