Okami Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='mephitical']You can die? I've put almost 50 hours into the PS2 version and never come close to dying. Did you know you can retreat from battles?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help! I've not died yet (just started the game), but I'm trying for all the unlockables in the end and would've been frustrated to miss one b/c of carelessness. I'll have to find out how to retreat from battles.

BTW - I liked your location reference. I love the Cure - I have all their studio albums and a lot of their b-sides. If you're a fan and haven't checked out Join the Dots collection, it's worth the price IMO.

[quote name='wjhard63']Thanks for the help! I've not died yet (just started the game), but I'm trying for all the unlockables in the end and would've been frustrated to miss one b/c of carelessness. I'll have to find out how to retreat from battles.

BTW - I liked your location reference. I love the Cure - I have all their studio albums and a lot of their b-sides. If you're a fan and haven't checked out Join the Dots collection, it's worth the price IMO.[/quote]
I also save multiple files compulsively, so there is a chance I died once or twice and just went back to my most recent save, but I don't remember that happening. Even the hardest battles ease you along and are more about discovering patterns than full-on brutality.

I'll have to check out that collection. I stopped paying attention to them after I hated their self-titled "comeback" album a few years ago, but prior to that I was pretty obsessive with the singles and imports and that kind of thing.

I try and play all games like I play single player RTS, or FPS games on my PC. I resart from a save point if things go badly.

One of the reasons I don't like console games as much as PC games is a trend of bad save systems and long load times. Playing fear for example or Crysis I just hit one button in game to save and load from a previous point, and it loads in about 1-3 seconds. I hear people saying why it's a bad thing for some games but as someone who is really busy and has limited game time I don't care.

[quote name='j.elles']I try and play all games like I play single player RTS, or FPS games on my PC. I resart from a save point if things go badly.

One of the reasons I don't like console games as much as PC games is a trend of bad save systems and long load times. Playing fear for example or Crysis I just hit one button in game to save and load from a previous point, and it loads in about 1-3 seconds. I hear people saying why it's a bad thing for some games but as someone who is really busy and has limited game time I don't care.[/quote]
To stray even farther away from Okami, I also wish this would be implemented in console games. I've never been a PC gamer, but as I now have a family and responsibilities, I rarely have extended uninterrupted periods of time to play a game. I have no tolerance any more for a game with excessive time between "save points". I am assuming there is a technical restriction that would prevent an exact save statem, but most modern games tend to simply restart a player from the last checkpoint/save point anyway upon death, so why couldn't an "Exit & Save" option simply be treated like a death?

I'm about 8 hours into the game and am totally enamored with it. The artistic design is fantastic and fresh, characters genuinely humorous, and combat enjoyable. I honestly haven't had this much fun w/ an adventure game since LoZ: OoT, despite the initial learning curve for the Celestial Brush.

Can't highly recommend this game enough.

I haven't played this for more than five hours due to GTA. I feel really bad. I bought it the day it came out and have been paying no attention to it. I think it's because I got mildly stuck and was too distracted to bother figuring out what to do...
At the beginning of the game, how are you supposed to raise the water level of that little river so you can board the trolley thing?

I am starting to enjoy this game, have been neglecting it for awhile. (Mario Kart Wii) This is the first game I will try to finish up by end of May. So far, the only things that are slightly annoying are precision drawing and swinging attacks. These things are tiny and easy to get over, but every single review I read complains about these problems.
So far the lowest I've seen was a 7.5 from Nintendo Power.

I played this game for about an hour yesterday. Reminded me of Twilight Princess (just in the fact that you're a wolf with a creature on your back). The visuals unfortunately are tainted as my HDTV kinda sucks at 480p (looks jaggy and whatnot). The paintbrush took a bit to get used to, but it adds that extra something that i'm sure the PS2 version was lacking.

I would have sat down with it more, but i'm currently rotating between GTA 4, Super Mario Galaxy, and Zack and Wiki as well.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I haven't played this for more than five hours due to GTA. I feel really bad. I bought it the day it came out and have been paying no attention to it. I think it's because I got mildly stuck and was too distracted to bother figuring out what to do...
At the beginning of the game, how are you supposed to raise the water level of that little river so you can board the trolley thing?
[/quote]

Be a little more specific about where you are, like the name of the area.

Okami on the PS2 is quite possibly my favourite game of all-time, but I have some concerns with the Wii version. Keza from Eurogamer obviously loves it, but from everywhere else I hear it's a bit of a mixed bag. The widescreen and 480p support are obviously good things, but toning down the paper filter bothers me quite a bit. It's still absolutely gorgeous, and if you've never played the PS2 version you likely won't notice or care much, but I'm afraid that to me it looks a bit like when George Lucas renovated the original Star Wars trilogy with new effects. It looks all nice and shiny and new, but robs the game a bit of it's more ancient somber tone.

The controls sound like a mixed bag as well. The paintbrush controls sound better than ever, but they've also broken controls that weren't broken before. I'd rather have something consistent than having any broken controls in an otherwise perfect (or as close as they come) game.

And what's this I hear about them taking out the post-credits cutscene? That scene was magnificent and really raised the narrative to another level. Has it been confirmed that this has been removed?

I guess what I'm saying is that I too was really looking forward to the definitive version of this wonderful game, and clearly Keza believes this to be it, but I've heard too much elsewhere that makes me doubt that's the case. Has anyone played the full game on the PS2 and then played the Wii version and still liked the Wii version better?

[quote name='lilboo']So when will this game have sold so poorly it's $15? :lol:[/QUOTE]

According to VGChartz It's already at .10 million sold worldwide LIFETIME and selling 26k copies a week, compared to .15mil sold LIFETIME for the PS2 version worldwide.

So either It will see a small price drop in the near future or less copies will be produced down the road. I know a lot of stores that have it in stock but the copies are few.

I haven't played the PS2 version, but I'm loving the Wii version so far. The controls do have a learning curve however, particularly for combat. I have no idea why they chose such precise timing for pulling off combos, but it's more than a little annoying at first. It's not too difficult to overcome though, and the whole issue goes away once you get other weapons anyway.

I spoke too soon.

This is going to be on sale at Best Buy starting May 18th for ....

Okami >>>> $29.99

Thanks speedy.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I spoke too soon.

Okami >>>> $29.99

Thanks speedy.[/QUOTE]

Rockin'. I was actually gonna by this last night, but something deep inside said (JUST WAIT". It's that CAG sense.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I spoke too soon.

Okami >>>> $29.99

Thanks speedy.[/QUOTE]

I should have waited until Sunday, but I had some GS credit, so I bought this yesterday. Don't regret it one bit. :lol:

I forgot how beautiful the art design is. I could just sit there watching Ammy run around at full speed for an hour.

...why did Capcom end the cover art replacement program already?
http://www.capcom.com/artredemption/

Not sure why they ended the replacement program I'm sure they got alot of requests for the boxarts I hope they open the request forum again..

I chose the pink boxart I was hoping for that boxart where Ammy is sleeping under a cherry blossom tree..

I just bought it today at BB and played it a bit so far using the wiimote to paint is ok I haven't battled just yet, but so far so good this will be my third time playing Okami. :bouncy:

Okami was loads of fun! It far exceeded my expectations! Seemed like there were way more things to do than in Twilight Princess, but I haven't played TP in over a year so my memory may be fuzzy.

It took me 50 hours and 28 minutes to end it! :lol:
That was without any strategy guide or online help. I went at my own pace and did every side quest I came across. Definitely a must own/play even if the controls are frustrating.

-
Now I can commit myself to Mario Kart so I can finally be awesome at it :lol:

[quote name='meerkatgamer']The Okami Official Complete Works comes out on May 29 being the Okami fan I am I'll be getting the book I really like the art of the game so this'll be worth the purchase for it.[/quote]Wow, finally.

The wii version has the same ending, but they took out the credits and epilogue, but you can go on youtube to see it after beating the game though it would have been nice if it was in the game ah well it's still a good game.

No on alt covers.

With respect to concerns about control... yes, there are some. I reviewed the game for an online publication; while I really liked the immersiveness of the Wii remote, I also struggled with the imprecision (especially when using disc weapons) and with some wierdness in the IR. Doing simple slices is not as easy as it was with PS2, although the Celestial Brush moves faster.

It's not a bad title -- still one of Wii's better ones -- but I'm not sure it is the total home run fans were hoping for.

I've never played the PS2 version but nabbed this on sale at BB a few weeks back. I've put in about 7 hours thus far and love it. There are only two instances where I've have control problems. The attack/slash is broken beyond belief. Seven hours in and I still cannot get it to work on the first try. It took me about 30 minutes to successfully finish the fishing mini-game where you have to catch a mere 3 fish. Same problem attacking the trees that throw things at you. Usually takes about 5 tries before I can finally send it flying back to them.

The other time the control never works is on the constellations. I have yet to get one of those to work. The only way I can get through those sections is to put drops of ink around the pattern like pointillism.

So if anyone has any advice to improve these problems please share. :)

Hold down the z button, you will create a perfectly straight line or slash every time.

edit: as for the constellations, you put a star at every joint or line end, where a star is absent, if you fail a couple times, it helps you out by showing you where you need to put an ink drop
it only needs a regular size ink drop, so if you are making large ink drops, those may not register

Well looks like the Okami artbook has been bumped up to June 18 I was kinda getting mad because I havent received any information hopefully it will ship on that date and not get bumped again.:bomb:

I also been checking the local book stores so far I haven't seen it..

[quote name='vherub']Hold down the z button, you will create a perfectly straight line or slash every time.

edit: as for the constellations, you put a star at every joint or line end, where a star is absent, if you fail a couple times, it helps you out by showing you where you need to put an ink drop
it only needs a regular size ink drop, so if you are making large ink drops, those may not register[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I had no idea about the Z button. I'll have to try that later.

Had to bump this because I rented the game yesterday and absolutely love it. I decided after a few minutes that it was a definite buy. The art design is beautiful and, since I haven't played the PS2 version, I'm not missing the paper filter. I only have a few brushes right now, having just obtained the bomb stroke. I wasn't really expecting to like it much, but I'm blown away at the quality of this game. Only problem I have is that dialog is all text instead of speech, and a lot of the time I can't skip to the end of a speech bubble and have to wait for the text to slowly finish. I'm really glad they went with 480p & 16:9 and I don't see a hint of underscan.

http://kotaku.com/5031280/okami-on-wii-didnt-do-so-well

the gaming isn't meeting expectations as like with resident evil 4

my opinion about this game,
i haven't played this game and will probably play it in the future when i can find it for a modest price or when it goes $20 or below. however, i have found it to be very disliking on what they have done to this game. i have read reviews and many have given good comments about it's great use of the controller for the game and whatever else you'd like to add. however, we got the short end of the stick. why is it that when resident evil 4 on gamecube got ported for the ps2 got the same exact thing as the gamecube [reduced in quality of course] and new features such as that ada mission and then some. even viewtiful joe 1 when ported from the gamecube to the ps2 got an additional character [dante from devil may cry] and then some. here is where the short end of the stick or to be more harse, where capcom raped us wii gamers in the ass on this game. why is it that there are missing features to this game then the ps2 and no added features. from nintendo to other systems, the other system capcom puts more effort but when the other system go to nintendo capcom doesn't put any effort. this game isn't a 1:1 port, it's more of a 1:.3/4 port.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read your post three times and still can't make heads or tails of what the hell you're trying to say beyond the first sentence. I think I'm nearing the end of the game and I have to say that it is well worth the price of admission. I can understand waiting for a price drop but I'm about 38 hours in and more than got my money's worth. It's not repetitive either. Even 40 hours into the game I'm still learning new things and solving fresh puzzles. Great stuff.

I demolished Ninetails yesterday and am now in the process of finishing up all side quests and finding the creatures on the Monster Manifest before moving on to the final part of the game. At any rate, the game is an A+ all the way. As I posted above the wii motion gave me fits for a bit, but once the learning curve is over it is very easy to get immersed in this game. For those that have missed it both times around, shame on you. :lol: Easily one of the top 5 games on the Wii. I'd almost say, second only to Galaxy.

I just finished this game a couple of week ago and I must say, the game is ultimately deserving of the praise it has received and is completely undeserving of the sales that it has not received.

The game had suburb pacing and a great transition between the over world and "dungeons", there were times where I had not even realized that I had walked into a dungeon and thought I was just liberally exploring.

My only real complaint is that you had to fight
Orochi I think... 4 times?

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']here is where the short end of the stick or to be more harse, where capcom raped us wii gamers in the ass on this game. why is it that there are missing features to this game then the ps2 and no added features. from nintendo to other systems, the other system capcom puts more effort but when the other system go to nintendo capcom doesn't put any effort. this game isn't a 1:1 port, it's more of a 1:.3/4 port.[/quote]

What? The Wii version of Okami is pretty much exactly the same as the PS2 version minus a less prominent paper filter and control scheme, not to mention widescreen and 480p capabilities on the Wii. It all really boils down to whether or not you prefer the look/controls of the PS2 version vs the Wii version. By no means is it a crappy port.

[quote name='Corvin']...I have to say that it is well worth the price of admission. I can understand waiting for a price drop but I'm about 38 hours in and more than got my money's worth. It's not repetitive either. Even 40 hours into the game I'm still learning new things and solving fresh puzzles.

...At any rate, the game is an A+ all the way. As I posted above the wii motion gave me fits for a bit, but once the learning curve is over it is very easy to get immersed in this game. For those that have missed it both times around, shame on you. :lol: Easily one of the top 5 games on the Wii. I'd almost say, second only to Galaxy.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree with you more. I picked this up due to the fact that I don't have a PS2 and wanted to see if it lived up to the hype. After spending 65 hours on this game, to get everything - beads, full bestiary, all treasures, full fish tome, full animal tome, all praise, etc. - I was sad to finish the game. The artwork, the mood, finally getting in a rhythm with the wii remote on the glaives and reflectors, everything was incredibly immersing and enjoyable. This bests Twilight Princess, and if not for my insane and irrational loyalty and love for Metroid and Mario, this would be the top game on the Wii for me.

Everything drew me in - story, artwork, and music - and I became sad after I finished knowing Clover was never fully recognized financially for such a great game and thus closed for good.

If you don't have it in your collection and you've ever enjoyed an action/adventure game, you owe it to check it out - even completing it at 40 hrs. (very quick imo), a $1 an hour is a steal for this game.

I'm not sure if I'll go through filling up my tomes or finding all the beads as my library of shame only gets bigger, but I haven't skimped on the exploring one bit. In fact, I'm in the process of going from the Northern coast back to the beginning of the game looking for stuff I missed before I head into the home stretch. Especially since I just got the catwalk brush technique.

This bests Twilight Princess

Okami is the best 3D 'Zelda' game since Ocarina, IMO.

I picked up the art book recently and it is fantastic. High production values, tons of art, and everything has a write-up. There are lots of spoilers though.
It also has a large, detailed world map, which would have been helpful during gameplay.

I popped this in last night after picking up a mint copy with the 25% (35%) GameStop coupon - great deal! It took a while to get into (what's with the 20 minute storytelling at the beginning?) but totally lost track of time and finally pulled the plug two hours later.

Definitely lots of fun, and I'm barely into it. The power slash was a little annoying at first, but once I read about the Z button controls, I was successful every try. I like the Wii controls so far - glad I never opened my PS2 copy.

I definitely can't wait to put lots more time into this one.........

.........played for a couple more hours tonight. The controls just get better and more responsive the more I play (duh) and the story is getting a little more interesting now.

I think I can honestly say this is the most fun I've had with my Wii so far and the last time i've used it two days in a row was probably a year and a half ago (LOLz @ funny Wii usage). Anyone that's been ignoring their Wii and hasn't played this game yet needs to pick it up.

I wish I had read about the Z trigger at the 2 hour mark. I think I was 8-10 hours in before posting here. :( Once I got that down I'd say controls worked great about 90% of the time. The constellations gave me problems all the way to the end of the game.

BTW, I finished the other night. 57 hours and 1 minute. Awesome game. It dragged a bit around Si-an City but picked up once you got to the northern (snow) area. The last boss gets a big WTF from me. I won't ruin it since there are a couple of you just getting into the game, but it's odd and came out of nowhere. :lol:

I was lucky, I read about using the Z button for straight lines before playing the game. I actually tried drawing straight lines the normal way a couple of times and it's just horrible.

I found the Z lines to be harder to pull off than otherwise. It still gives me trouble once in a while, but nothing game-breaking. Found that the bigger and more forceful your stroke is, the more likely it is to pick it up.

I tried the Z trigger myself, but could never seem to get it to work right. With enough practice, the strokes begin to come easy but starting out its slightly annoying. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the slashes don't follow the pointer once the stroke button is held down, but rather the angle at which the Wiimote is held.

If you haven't picked up this game yet, go do yourself a favor. It's well worth the $40 spent, and should have gotten much more recognition that it currently has.

I think you could be right.......it's probably not so much my sloppy line arm-waving as it is the angle i'm holding the Wiimote or the angle at which i'm facing the sensor bar. I guess i'm just too lazy to adjust myself or the bar, and I try not to extend my arm out fully while waving the Wiimote, so the Z controls work well for me. I can't remember how many times I got yelled at for not splitting the rock in the beginning, it had to have been at least 20 tries.

Surprisingly I haven't had any problems with the constellations. Using the Z button to dot the stars has worked fine for me. Do some people try using A instead?

I almost feel bad for getting this for ~$20 used.......I would have gladly paid $40 if it meant increased chances of a sequel or another game from the studio (former studio).

bread's done
Back