old lock it up

Is this out of nowhere? I had no idea there was a new CD coming out... I need to buy this ASAP. One of the few bands I'll still buy a CD from...

Why arent they just having people wait in line? It would be a whole lot easier and less aggravating if I could see my place in line going down as time goes by.

[quote name='javeryh']Is this out of nowhere? I had no idea there was a new CD coming out... I need to buy this ASAP. One of the few bands I'll still buy a CD from...[/QUOTE]

Completely out of nowhere. 2 weeks ago from Saturday he posted on his site "2 weeks" and most people thought it would be the mere announcement of a new cd or tour. Sunday night at 4:10PM PST he posted "2 hours." 2 hours later, he posted "The new Nine Inch Nails record is available RIGHT NOW" Yeah, that pretty much shell shocked everyone and the site blew up.

I had no problem with the download. I chose the $4.99 album option, it took maybe five minutes to download, and that was it. No hassles or anything.

My first DL almost worked. It stopped at exactly 100 MB. Subsequent attempts are anywhere from 5.3 to 16.9.

Then I hit "Exceeded download limit"

fuck

I know they're probably getting hammered, but I'm pissed.

If I can't get it working by the time I get home I'll just torrent it. They got my money now anyway. I just need SOMETHING to listen to.

Maybe in the future NIN can hire some company to make them a BitTorrent client for these releases, like how Blizzard has their own for patches.

I think if you've already paid for it, it's ok to torrent it. At least, that's what I've done, the download died in the middle for me as well. I didn't want to go through Amazon cause I imagine they probably get a cut of the profits and if I had my choice I'd rather support NIN directly.

Guys, I highly doubt if your download stopped that they're just gonna be like screw you thanks for the money.

[quote name='chakan']How fucked up is it that the illegal way of Dling works flawlessly, while the legitimate way is broken?[/QUOTE]

BitTorrent isn't illegal.

I just grabbed it from TPB since the site is still down. Unless is suddenly starts to suck for whatever reason, it looks like I'll be picking up the $10 package.

This is FREAKING awesome!! Listening to the Bittorrent of Ghost I and am loving it. I'll definitely be picking up the $10 CD when the site comes back up.

Waiting for the CD and I'm not even that big a fan of instrumentals. It's just that I support Trent Reznor and everything he does since he's been advocate for P2P and other means of access.

couple of updates!

For those who had problems with their "one-time download link":
Dear Customer,

Due to overwhelming response, you probably have experienced technical difficulties purchasing or downloading your copy of Ghosts I-IV. We are currently working diligently to address these issues, and will do everything in our power in ensure that your download will be successfully completed. We expect to have the problems resolved by 9am Tuesday, Mar 4.

If you have hit your download limit, we will be resetting the download attempts as we resolve the technical issues within the next 24 hours.

We do apologize, and thank you for your interest and response to our offerings to the fans of nine inch nails.

that was posted yesterday; from what I hear the downloads are cruising nicely now.

also, the Ultra Deluxe edition is already sold out.

Huge NIN here fan and I actually found out about the album through this very thread, so thanks for the heads up OP! As soon as I get home I'm definitely ordering the CD version... both on principle (I hate when an artist ONLY releases something as a digital download, so I want to encourage physical releases) and because I legitimately want it :D.

[quote name='anomynous']I can't get into the site yet[/QUOTE]

Same here. It seems to have gone from "down for maintenance" to just plain down.

Man, the way this is being released/sold has got to be the coolest thing I have ever seen in music distribution.

Too bad NIN is so horribly dreadful.

[quote name='anomynous']Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome?

In case you missed it, I praised this distribution plan. I believe I called it something along the lines of "the coolest coolest thing I have ever seen."

I myself am not a huge NIN fan either, but I totally respect Trent Reznor for being one of the few artists to stand up to the bullshit of the record companies and realize what music is really about.

[quote name='Sporadic']Didn't even listen to it, did you?[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing their music for years, yes, and yes, I've heard Ghosts I. Not my bag.

Since turnabout is fair play, I'm going to get assumptous and I guess you're one of those zombie superfans who thinks that anyone who claims to not like their favorite band/album, must not have actually listened to it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I've been hearing their music for years[/QUOTE]

This is unlike anything Trent's ever put out. The only thing that really compares is Driver Down from the Lost Highway soundtrack and even that doesn't really match. This is like a mix of that, certain tracks off of Still and some of the instrumentals from Year Zero.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I've heard Ghosts I. Not my bag.[/QUOTE]

I'd give the whole thing a listen before you write it off.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Since turnabout is fair play, I'm going to get assumptous and I guess you're one of those zombie superfans who thinks that anyone who claims to not like their favorite band/album, must not have actually listened to it.[/QUOTE]

Nope, just that if you're saying "oh NIN is so dreadful", it's pretty easy to assume that you are one of those people who are "that animal fucking song sucks and he's such a EMO douchebag" since this album is a pretty radical change from their work in the past.

I've been thinking about how amazing this distribution scheme is all day, and I really want this to be the future of music sales. So, even though I don't like the music, I'm going to pay the $5, because this is an idea I want to support, and nothing speaks louder than dollars. I want this to be a colossal success, not because I like NIN, but because this is what needs to happen to the music industry.

[quote name='Sporadic']I'd give the whole thing a listen before you write it off.[/QUOTE]
God damn, dude, do I have to buy all of Avril Lavigne's albums and give them full deep-thought listening sessions, before I can say that they're shit?

[quote name='chakan']opinion noted; move along[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Trakan'].[/QUOTE]
Useless posts noted, move along. Just because I'm not jacking over the album doesn't mean I can't discuss it. Yeah, I'm dissing the music, but I'm super enthusiastic about the distribution, and I don't see why my position is somehow invalid for discussion here. There will certainly be many people who are only interested in this because of the distribution method, and I'm one of them. What I have to say about it is just as useful and relevant as a post saying "OMG TRENT GR8 ALBUM I LUV YOU WITH MOUTH LONG TIME."

I take it you guys are NIN superfans or something (I notice that there don't seem to be many casual NIN fans; many of the ones I've encountered are raving zealots), and that it really grills your cheese that I'm not singing the album's praises, but I'm interested in this story, and would like to participate in discussions about it's amazing sales methods.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']God damn, dude, do I have to buy all of Avril Lavigne's albums and give them full deep-thought listening sessions, before I can say that they're shit?[/QUOTE]

lol get the fuck out of here you troll

[quote name='Sporadic']lol get the fuck out of here you troll[/QUOTE]

How am I trolling? What, do you like Avril Lavigne or something?

Again, I'm in here praising this shit, and you guys get your panties all in a bunch. Christ, some people. Yeah, you over-identify with, and define yourself by the music you listen to, and get offended and take it personally when someone knocks it, I can see that. Just chill.

bread's done
Back