old lock it up

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']How am I trolling? What, do you like Avril Lavigne or something?
[/QUOTE]

Let's see

1) this album sucks and i know because i've been listening to this band for years (and they suck)
2) i heard ghosts i that's enough (who cares if that's only part 1 of 4)
3) comparing nin to avril lavigne
4) how am i trolling guyz, stop picking on me :cry:

I just preordered the limited edition. The Super Special edition looked sweet, too bad (well probably a good thing for me) it sold out. Ah well.

[quote name='Sporadic']1) this album sucks and i know because i've been listening to this band for years (and they suck)[/quote]
Okay, the first part of this accusation, that I'm assuming that I won't like this album based solely on my distaste for NIN's entire body of work up until this point, is outright bullshit, because as I said, I've listened to the first quarter of it. And the second part, where you seem to be pissed off at me simply for having heard much of the band's work over the years and not liking it, is also total bullshit, because I'm free to like and dislike whatever I want.

Okay, so then please do me a favor and save me a couple of hours, and tell me, are the other three parts utterly and completely different from the first one? Because that's what it would take for me to like them.

I never compared NIN to Avril Lavigne, moron. I was trying to point out that for you to expect me to buy and listen to every album on the planet before I'm allowed to criticize the artist, whether it's NIN or Avril Lavigne or Britney Spears or Soulja Boy or Linkin Park, is completely stupid.

4) how am i trolling guyz, stop picking on me :cry:
You fail, and I'm interested in your retort.

You're clearly a stark raving NIN zealot, so no matter what I say, you're still going to think I'm some sort of retard or something, unless I start giving Trent Reznor a metaphorical blowjob.

It's funny that you're lashing out at me for what you perceive as me having preconceived notions about this album, when I seriously suspect that you yourself were already in love with it before you even heard it, just because it's by NIN.

I currently have the album from that site they linked too. I plan on buying a retail copy of the discs once its.. in-stores. 9.99 is a great price, just 6.95 or whatever shipping is complete bullshit. I might as well be getting anal violation from the store. (Yea, I COULD buy a download. I'll pass. I like my physical copies.)

Bought the $5 download deal. Best $5 I've ever spent.

Awesome chill-out music, probably be some nice background noise for playing CoD4 or something. I'll have to rip it to my 360 HDD.

Well worth it, in my opinion.

[quote name='georox']I currently have the album from that site they linked too. I plan on buying a retail copy of the discs once its.. in-stores. 9.99 is a great price, just 6.95 or whatever shipping is complete bullshit. I might as well be getting anal violation from the store. (Yea, I COULD buy a download. I'll pass. I like my physical copies.)[/QUOTE]

Buy the FLAC and than burn it to a cd?

It's the exact same thing as buying it retail, audio quality wise.

[quote name='Sporadic']Let's see

1) this album sucks and i know because i've been listening to this band for years (and they suck)
4) how am i trolling guyz, stop picking on me :cry:[/quote]
Internet is serious buzznezz guyz. I can't handle all this drama and anger you guys are feeling on a video game message board so I think I need to get outta HERE!

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']Internet is serious buzznezz guyz. I can't handle all this drama and anger you guys are feeling on a video game message board so I think I need to get outta HERE![/QUOTE]

...bye?

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']Internet is serious buzznezz guyz. I can't handle all this drama and anger you guys are feeling on a video game message board so I think I need to get outta HERE![/QUOTE]

how could you turn us into this?
after you just taught me how to kiss you
i told you i'd never say goodbye
now i'm slipping on the tears you made me cry

but that's what i get

Geez guys, give CoffeeEdge a break. Okay, my response to you CoffeeEdge:

I think people were a little upset (to put it lightly, apparently) with how quickly you seemed to dismiss the new album (I know this was apparent). But what you said about Avril Lavigne doesn't hold up against Trent work because Avril is NOT critically acclaimed. I'm not saying if something is lauded by critics it's a love-it-or-die situation, but it just carries a lot more weight. Avril carries no clout in this situation.

I don't mind your difference in opinion though, although I myself have a hard time understanding it ;)

What music do you like, BTW? Oh and since you paid the $5, you get all Ghosts right? So maybe you'll warm to it after the whole thing... just want you to not get turned off to it from the negative posts people have been throwing around here.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']But what you said about Avril Lavigne doesn't hold up against Trent work because Avril is NOT critically acclaimed. I'm not saying if something is lauded by critics it's a love-it-or-die situation, but it just carries a lot more weight. Avril carries no clout in this situation.[/quote]
I don't see why I should let anything any critic has ever said about any artist, good or bad, be the basis for a preconceived notion about an album. That ain't how I roll. I'm not going to give Nine Inch Nails any more benefit of the doubt that I will Avril Levigne, just because a lot of professional critics (god, what a world, where people get paid for their opinions) praise the former.

What music do you like, BTW?
Chiptune and videogame music, I guess. Oh GOD I'M A COLOSSAL fucking NERD. D:

Actually, you know, I love music and all, but it's not really something that I get emotionally involved and invested in, hardly at all. I don't find much music moving or anything like that. Almost all lyrics mean nothing to me. Hearing songs that you can tell someone is pouring their heart out singing usually just irritates me to no end. So, for me, music is almost entirely about pure sound, and that's it. That's why I adore chiptunes and videogame/movie stoundtracks, as well as classical and ambient music.

So, what do I like? Well...old j-pop, jazz, classical, electronica, practically anything from anything Nintendo (F-Zero OMG

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']...I have to wait for the CD to be in stores...[/quote]
I've seen a few people mention this and am wondering, is there official word that this will be on retail shelves? This is being put out without any label help at all, and as such I think the distro costs will be more than Trent can handle. I know I would just exclusively sell it through my site and then maybe amazon (could probably work out some sort of drop ship method there in fact, or as a reseller).
I might buy the cd, shipping and all, since I'm guessing if it were on retail shelves, we'll be seeing it at around $15 (at least) anyway, just to make up the cost. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't see why I should let anything any critic has ever said about any artist, good or bad, be the basis for a preconceived notion about an album. That ain't how I roll. I'm not going to give Nine Inch Nails any more benefit of the doubt that I will Avril Levigne, just because a lot of professional critics (god, what a world, where people get paid for their opinions) praise the former.[/quote]
I know plenty of people with these same feelings towards critics, but I've found that they are very helpful for gaging whether I'll like something. Having worked in a video store for some time, I know what I'll like almost immediately when a movie comes out, but some times a thumbs up from Roger Ebert can help push me over to renting something I am unsure of. It's not a hard and fast rule, but Ebert has gone to school (well, for English, but knowing what makes good writing can be a big help to critiquing a film) and he has seen and reviewed many a film; I give him credit just for that. And rotten tomatoes gives a general consensus of what people are saying on any media. I think to disregard critics of media and art is as bad as solely relying on them for you own opinion.

As for your taste in music, what I know of it, I also like. I like soundtracks, video game stuff, jpop, classic rock and 80s pop/hair metal, but lean towards indie and alternative. And, I was just thinking tonight that Ghosts (at least Ghosts I) sounds a lot like a video game soundtrack to me. :shrug:

Tell you what, to end this and get the zealots off my back, I'll just say I like the album a lot and Trent Reznor is the greatest. There, everyone is happy.
Doesn't make me happy.

At least CoffeeEdge likes Daft Punk...;)

This cd just keeps getting better the more I listen to it. Ghosts III and IV are the high-points of the new material.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Wow, lots of trolling, nonsense, and bullshit going on in this thread now. Anyway, since I have to wait for the CD to be in stores, I'm going to go out and buy this t-shirt tomorrow:

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/st...T<>prd_id=845524442156275&bmUID=1204705742933

It sucks that it has to be from hottopic, but it's a shirt I've wanted for awhile and at $9.99, who can complain?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have the same one. It came free with my copy of Year Zero about a week after launch.

Not as nice as the tour t-shirts but it's still cool looking.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']To be honest, even if it is great, I won't feel bad, because getting a rise out of music diehards is always funny.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a troll at all. :roll:

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Useless posts noted, move along. Just because I'm not jacking over the album doesn't mean I can't discuss it. Yeah, I'm dissing the music, but I'm super enthusiastic about the distribution, and I don't see why my position is somehow invalid for discussion here. There will certainly be many people who are only interested in this because of the distribution method, and I'm one of them. What I have to say about it is just as useful and relevant as a post saying "OMG TRENT GR8 ALBUM I LUV YOU WITH MOUTH LONG TIME."

I take it you guys are NIN superfans or something (I notice that there don't seem to be many casual NIN fans; many of the ones I've encountered are raving zealots), and that it really grills your cheese that I'm not singing the album's praises, but I'm interested in this story, and would like to participate in discussions about it's amazing sales methods.[/quote]

Look dude, I understand you don't like NIN but you like the way he's distributing the album. We got it.

If you're gonna keep on reiterating that, then don't bother posting as it just derails the thread. You said it once, people get it. Notice how the last couple of pages are just you and other people arguing.

You've said your peace, now just let it alone.

[quote name='Sporadic']Yeah, I have the same one. It came free with my copy of Year Zero about a week after launch.

Not as nice as the tour t-shirts but it's still cool looking.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a troll at all. :roll:[/quote]

I got the Beside you in time t-shirt when I bought my Year Zero cd at launch. I wanted both, but the other was $20 and I thought that the Beside you in time one looked better (the red helped it out).

Too bad NIN sucks.

Distribution is nice though. I like what he did what that last album, leaving MP3s here and there.

I have to give him props for at least being somewhat original.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']For GrilledWitOnions who quoted me:

I believe the cd is out April 8[/quote]
Source? I see ghosts.nin.com says it will ship april 8th, but that doesn't mean to retail shelves necessarily, might just be to pre-orders on the site.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Source? I see ghosts.nin.com says it will ship april 8th, but that doesn't mean to retail shelves necessarily, might just be to pre-orders on the site.[/QUOTE]

The same 2xCD you can purchase here and a $39 4x vinyl edition (on 130 gram vinyl in a double gatefold package) will be available at retail in North America (April 8), Australia (April 5), the UK (April 8), Japan (April 5), and most European territories (April 8).

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/faq

Reznor makes $750,000 even when the music is free
Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails made headlines again this week as he released his new, four-part instrumental album Ghosts I-IV, at a variety of price points, including a $300 super-deluxe package. He's also giving away Ghosts I at no charge, even throwing the tracks up on The Pirate Bay for anyone to download. And it appears to be working quite well for Reznor, who has managed to sell all 2,500 copies of his $300 package without major label backing or much in the way of splashy marketing. If Reznor's earlier experiments in digital distribution failed to recoup their costs, he's clearly learned his lesson: grossing $750,000 in the space of three days isn't a bad haul for any businessperson.

Reznor was disappointed by an earlier experiment in which he released the music of his friend Saul Williams. That album was available online either for free or for $5 (for a higher-quality version). Under 20 percent of downloaders paid up, and Reznor complained that he couldn't even cover his costs for producing the album.

With Ghosts, Reznor had some obvious advantages. NiN is a better-known brand with a devoted following, and Reznor's strategy of using multiple price points made his music easily accessible to fans. Those who wished to pay nothing could download a free version of Ghosts I. For $5, a digital version of all four albums was available, and for only $10, fans could get all the music on CD along with an immediate digital download. $75 and $300 deluxe versions were also made available and include things like a Blu-ray disc, a DVD of the multitrack audio files from the project, videos, deluxe packaging, and more.

ghosts.jpg

Can a ghost make you a millionaire?

For all the talk of Reznor "pulling a Radiohead," though, the actual strategy was different. There is no "choose your price" component, and there is no free download of the complete project from the NiN site. Instead, Reznor's strategy is more akin to the "free sample" model. It's also an attempt to move beyond the music biz's long-term fixation with a single product, the CD. Reznor is using five price points to segment his offerings, and the extra work this required appears to have paid off.

In covering the story, the New York Times noted that "one option Mr. Reznor is not offering fans is a way to obtain the entire collection free," but Ghosts I-IV is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license that does allow noncommercial redistribution.

Even without a major marketing campaign, the album release generated so much interest that the NiN servers were knocked offline. Reznor apologized to fans, saying, "Sorry again about the hassle. Somebody kicked the plug out of our internets, but we're all set now."

Reznor gains something valuable from every transaction, even if downloaders elect not to pay; he harvests the e-mail addresses of fans interested in his music. These addresses are obviously marketing gold, but Reznor makes sure to treat his fans with respect, even when asking for their information. "We hate spam as much as you do, if not more so," he writes.

While it's routine now to hear media execs talk about how "people want to do the right thing" when it comes to paying artists, those comments are generally followed by a defense of lawsuits, DRM, and ISP filtering plans. The thinking goes that even in a world in which all locks can be picked, most people don't stop locking their doors. Reznor's experiment shows that the carrot approach can work well for artists, even with the stick.

That is a big pile of cash! Good for him for trying something a little new and showing those RIAA toads that there is a better business model then the one they're failing to successfully defend.

Well, the $750,000 is just based on the $300 sold out version, so who knows how much it costs to make that. Either way he is most likely even more rich.

As for the music...finally bought the $10 version. Really enjoy the music and Ghosts I is now my 'fall-asleep-to' CD very mellow.

[quote name='javeryh']Reznor makes $750,000 even when the music is free[/QUOTE]

That's not a realistic number.

They aren't factoring in the cost of those Limited Edition boxes (which I imagine aren't cheap since it's 2 audio CDs, 1 data DVD, 1 Blu-ray disc, 1 large deluxe hard-bound 48-page art book, 1 deluxe hard case four-piece 180 gram vinyl set, and two limited edition Giclee prints in a luxurious package)

But even if he is only getting half, that's $375,000. Not a bad chunk of change for 10 weeks of worth of work.

Not to mention the 2-disc sales, the normal Limited Edition, downloads and Amazon MP3 sales.

[quote name='mykevermin']Also: Dave Brubeck?

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

What's so funny?
[quote name='Trakan']Look dude, I understand you don't like NIN but you like the way he's distributing the album. We got it.

If you're gonna keep on reiterating that, then don't bother posting as it just derails the thread. You said it once, people get it. Notice how the last couple of pages are just you and other people arguing.

You've said your peace, now just let it alone.[/QUOTE]
Nope, gonna keep posting as long as I have something to say.

[quote name='Sporadic']That's not a realistic number.

They aren't factoring in the cost of those Limited Edition boxes (which I imagine aren't cheap since it's 2 audio CDs, 1 data DVD, 1 Blu-ray disc, 1 large deluxe hard-bound 48-page art book, 1 deluxe hard case four-piece 180 gram vinyl set, and two limited edition Giclee prints in a luxurious package)

But even if he is only getting half, that's $375,000. Not a bad chunk of change for 10 weeks of worth of work.

Not to mention the 2-disc sales, the normal Limited Edition, downloads and Amazon MP3 sales.[/QUOTE]
I don't really think that the sales of the expensive collector's edition are terribly important, personally. I mean, the sales of that could have been predicted (there is sort of a limit to how much they can make, due to the limited quantity). What everyone is dying to know are the sales of the $5 edition, which, of course, he is under no obligation to reveal publicly...I do hope he volunteers the information, though.

[quote name='karmapolice']Has anyone who had a "download error" or a "exceeded download limit" been able to get it? I still get an error.[/QUOTE]

The link is good for only one click.

[quote name='Mattte']As for the music...finally bought the $10 version. Really enjoy the music and Ghosts I is now my 'fall-asleep-to' CD very mellow.[/quote]

I went with the $5 download, cuz fuck $6 in shipping. Really happy with it, though. This is the 1st time I've used Amazon mp3 and I'm very impressed with how easy it was. I usually dislike buying things online and not having a physical copy, but the price is completely right.

This is my new 'background music while I study' cd, for libraries and coffee shops. I love it.

[quote name='Sporadic']That's not a realistic number.

Not to mention the 2-disc sales, the normal Limited Edition, downloads and Amazon MP3 sales.[/quote]

Let's not forget to include added sales of t-shirts, general merchandise, DVDs (I bought his Beside you in time on DVD and HDDVD; simply an awesome concert/performance and it looks fantastic in HD), etc. He's also released this cd with little promotion, it pretty much just happened on us and he's been getting plenty of free promotion. How often do you see threads on sites devoted to a single album?

This is an interesting move by Reznor, and it seems to really be paying off for him. But can this sort of model work on an industry-wide scale? That's the million dollar question. Not everybody can move CDs like NIN.

I think it only works for established bands like NIN and Radiohead.

New bands have been selling or giving away music online for years, but if no one knows you you're not going to get famous. Have to get a lucky break and get a lot of radio play. Online can make you some fans, but not enough to make it big.

But this is a good model for established brands to tell the labels to piss off.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think it only works for established bands like NIN and Radiohead.[/QUOTE]

Not really, Trent/Saul Williams tried this a few months ago.

It's a strange time to be an artist in the recording business. It's pretty easy to see what NOT to do these days, but less obvious to know what's right. As I find myself free from the bloated bureaucracy of major labels, finally able to do whatever I want... well, what is that? What is the "right" way to release records, treat your music and your audience with respect and attempt to make a living as well? I have a number of musician friends who are either in a similar situation or feel they soon will be, and it's a real source of anxiety and uncertainty.
I'd like to share my experience releasing Saul Williams' "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust" and what I've learned from the process. Perhaps by revealing of all our data - our "dirty laundry" - we can contribute to a better solution.

A quick history: Saul makes a great record that I produce. We can't find the right home at a major label. We decide to release it ourselves, digitally. Saul does not have limitless financial resources so we shop around for a company that can fulfill our needs. We choose Musicane because they are competent and are willing to adapt to what we want. The results are here: niggytardust.com

We offer the entire record free (as in totally free to the visitor - we pay bandwidth costs) as 192 MP3s, or for $5 you can choose higher fidelity versions and feel good about supporting the artist directly. We offer all major CCs and PayPal as payment options.
Here's what I was thinking: Fans are interested in music as soon as it's available (that's a good thing, remember) and usually that's a leak from the label's manufacturing plants. Offering the record digitally as its first appearance in the marketplace eliminates that problem. I thought if you offered the whole record free at reasonable quality - no strings attached - and offered a hassle free way to show support that clearly goes straight to the artists who made it at an unquestionably low price people would "do the right thing". I know, I know...
Well, now I DO know and you will too.

Saul's previous record was released in 2004 and has sold 33,897 copies.

As of 1/2/08,
154,449 people chose to download Saul's new record.
28,322 of those people chose to pay $5 for it, meaning:
18.3% chose to pay.

Of those paying,

3220 chose 192kbps MP3
19,764 chose 320kbps MP3
5338 chose FLAC

Keep in mind not one cent was spent on marketing this record. The only marketing was Saul and myself talking as loudly as we could to anybody that would listen.
If 33,897 people went out and bought Saul's last record 3 years ago (when more people bought CDs) and over 150K - five times as many - sought out this new record, that's great - right?
I have to assume the people knowing about this project must either be primarily Saul or NIN fans, as there was very little media coverage outside our direct influence. If that assumption is correct - that most of the people that chose to download Saul's record came from his or my own fan-base - is it good news that less than one in five feel it was worth $5? I'm not sure what I was expecting but that percentage - primarily from fans - seems disheartening.
Add to that: we spent too much (correction, I spent too much) making the record utilizing an A-list team and studio, Musicane fees, an old publishing deal, sample clearance fees, paying to give the record away (bandwidth costs), and nobody's getting rich off this project.

But...
Saul's music is in more peoples' iPods than ever before and people are interested in him. He'll be touring throughout the year and we will continue to get the word out however we can.

So - if you're an artist looking to utilize this method of distribution, make of these figures what you will and hopefully this info is enlightening.

Best,
TR

[quote name='Sporadic']Not really, Trent/Saul Williams tried this a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

Right, and it did not work at all. People will always take the free option, no matter what. Your everyday musician cannot utilize this model to pay the bills. At this point, I don't think there is or ever will be a end-all solution.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Right, and it did not work at all. People will always take the free option, no matter what. Your everyday musician cannot utilize this model to pay the bills. At this point, I don't think there is or ever will be a end-all solution.[/QUOTE]

It did work.

Saul's previous record was out for 3 years...had advertising, videos made, alot of expenses racked up.

This time, they almost sold that amount in a few months with no money spend on advertising, videos or anything else besides the music and bandwidth.

Those people who downloaded for free aren't a lost cause either. They could come out, see him on tour and maybe buy a t-shirt (which is where musicians really make their money)

So they cut out the middleman giving more money to the artist, potentially got the album out to people who wouldn't have given Saul the time of day otherwise and now he can go out on tour and continue to make money. Sounds like a success to me.

Of course it wouldn't work for a brand new garage band but it is a viable solution to a small time/large band if they kind of have a fanbase.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think it only works for established bands like NIN and Radiohead.

New bands have been selling or giving away music online for years, but if no one knows you you're not going to get famous. Have to get a lucky break and get a lot of radio play. Online can make you some fans, but not enough to make it big.

But this is a good model for established brands to tell the labels to piss off.[/quote]

Maybe with this type of model rock stars should only make enough to earn a living ($50,000 - $75,000 or so a year touring and selling t-shirts) with a select few making it really big and earning millions... like most professions. This might also actually get the cream to rise to the top instead of the shitfest going on right now on the radio.

[quote name='javeryh']Maybe with this type of model rock stars should only make enough to earn a living ($50,000 - $75,000 or so a year touring and selling t-shirts) with a select few making it really big and earning millions... like most professions. This might also actually get the cream to rise to the top instead of the shitfest going on right now on the radio.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='Sporadic']It did work.

Saul's previous record was out for 3 years...had advertising, videos made, alot of expenses racked up.

This time, they almost sold that amount in a few months with no money spend on advertising, videos or anything else besides the music and bandwidth.

Those people who downloaded for free aren't a lost cause either. They could come out, see him on tour and maybe buy a t-shirt (which is where musicians really make their money)

So they cut out the middleman giving more money to the artist, potentially got the album out to people who wouldn't have given Saul the time of day otherwise and now he can go out on tour and continue to make money. Sounds like a success to me.

Of course it wouldn't work for a brand new garage band but it is a viable solution to a small time/large band if they kind of have a fanbase.[/QUOTE]

Also agreed.

I'm just glad Trent offered the option for physical media this time around. I'm still weird about paying for digital music. I honestly would have paid $10 for a physical Nixgy Tardust album - but since since the only thing you could "buy" was a digital version, I just stuck with the freebie.

And yeah yeah, I realize it's easy to claim that I would have paid for it. But I did order the $10 version of Ghosts, so that's all I can really do to "prove" my sincerity. That's gotta count for something, right? :D

[quote name='karmapolice']Has anyone who had a "download error" or a "exceeded download limit" been able to get it? I still get an error.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. My download kept terminating early before the whole 250MB zip file was downloaded. I retried too many times and got the "download limit exceeded" error. I had originally copied the direct link to the zip file to a text file and tried it again the day after the album was released and was able to get the whole thing.

TR did a interview with Triple J in Australia (taken from Opernimalus at 9inchnails.com)

http://media.putfile.com/TR---Triple-J-Interview

TR: We’d finish the record, and if I were to go to them and say “hey, I’d like to make something that has a nice hardbound book and I like it to fit, something you could sit on your coffee table and it held it’s own with the nicest things you’d find in the nicest high end art book stores, there would be a number of reasons why that wouldn’t make financial sense and, you know, record labels sell plastic disks to record shops and they’re not concerned about aesthetics, and if things don’t have an easy to identify target demographic then they’re not interested in doing that, and I understand that’s the business they’re in. I’m proud of the way we’ve presented this record and I’m proud of the way that we’ve treated the fan and ourselves in the process. It feels like, finally, there’s not some jerk in a record label saying no, and then not paying you at the end of the day.

JJJ: You had some problems with the website going down when people first started downloading, do you know why that happened? Was it just because of the volume?

TR: I’ve been through this with a few different web developers and, I mean, just to be frank, we got caught with our pants down when it was so much more than we thought it was going to be. I added the player aspect where you could listen to tracks and then I also insisted that the quality, the fidelity, of that was pretty high, so that was a huge hit of bandwidth, but those who should have been paying attention to that aspect of it kind of didn’t pay as much attention, so streaming high quality music on top of the only type of downloads that we offer were of the highest fidelity. So, comparing that to say a Radiohead download our smallest download was, I think, six times bigger than theirs. All of it’s an excuse because it should have been dealt with, is the bottom line, and I apologise for that.

JJJ: You mentioned Radiohead then, did you wait to see what happened with them before you went in to this?

TR: No. I think what they did was a cool thing, I think that the way they’ve kind of parleyed that in to a marketing gimmick has certainly been shrewd, I think that at the end of the day if you look at what they did though was very much a Bayton switch; let’s get you to pay for a MySpace quality stream as a way to promote a very traditional record sale. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I don’t see that as being the revolution that they’re kinda getting credit for.

JJJ: So you think they didn’t look after fans enough by making that download a high quality?

TR: What they did right? They surprised the world with a new record and it was available digitally first. What they did wrong? By making it such a low quality thing, not even including artwork and including things they’ve even said themselves say the proper way to get this record is on a CD and that’s coming out in a few months, and to me that feels insincere. It relies upon the fact it was, you know, quote en quote “first” and it takes the headlines with it.

JJJ: Let’s talk about how Ghosts is going. The ultra deluxe edition, the first part of that is sold out, and the five-dollar download is still number one at the moment on Amazon.com. This is your chance to prove the doubters in the music industry wrong, can you tell me how many copies you’ve sold?

TR: Uhh, I would if I knew. I’m out of town right now so I haven’t even been in touch with the actual figures. After the first day I heard some scattered figures, and I’m not trying to avoid the question, I honestly don’t know.

JJJ: Critics of this sort of approach say that it’s only possible for artists, like yourself, that have a massive profile, what would you say to that?

TR: Well I think that’s a fair critique, and I’ll tell you another level that’s not impossible to add is that being able to put out this record like we have has cost me money to develop the website to do it.

JJJ: Can you tell us how much you had to spend on that?

TR: Well the development of the site was in the twenty thousand plus range, the digital model of paying for our bandwidth, which is a big burden, and the upkeep, and customer service, and credit card processing crap and all the things that has nothing to do with music. But, to answer you’re question before, certainly it’s easier for a band that has a reputation and has some interest.

JJJ: Do you think the major label has a cause to feel a bit hard done by cause they’ve spent all this money promoting you while you were on their label to give you this profile and now you’re using it to have freedom and to make money off it now?

TR: I mean that’s a fair point that you make, but you’re leaving out of the equation my relationship with the record label, in particular Interscope Records from 1991 to 2007 was one where they lent me money, when I paid that money back they owned that record, they make the lion’s share of the sales of the profit of that record. If you look at my bottom line at the time that I’ve been at Interscope they’ve made more money off Nine Inch Nails than Trent Reznor has. I will never shed a tear to see that dynasty crumble, it’s long overdue.

JJJ: Do you think the major labels now will adapt to this digital world? They’re starting to negotiate with the download sites to broker deals.

TR: I really don’t know. The level of ineptitude I’ve seen displayed at major labels is stunning. The people in charge of a lot of the digital technologies and the aspects that are decimating their business, that I‘ve seen, are people that seem to not even be on the internet, might have an AOL email account. I mean for them to right now in 2008 be considering brokering deals with download sites it’s like, you’re five years too late.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Slightly OT since this has nothing to do with the albums out now, but I just saw this video of "The Perfect Drug" with expert drums on Rockband, and thought if others hadn't seen it (which it may have been just me), I'd share it.[/quote]

Jesus. That's insane, especially considering that song's been out for less than a week.

I'm just going to stop playing Rock Band right now.

bread's done
Back