old lock it up

[quote name='moojuice']What the hell. $7 to ship 2 cds?[/quote]
i heard it was like 30 bucks to ship the three hundred one and its around 16 to ship the 75 version so yea shipping FTL . on the other hand its a great album

I've been thinking about this for a few days now.
[quote name='Sporadic'] JJJ: You mentioned Radiohead then, did you wait to see what happened with them before you went in to this?

TR: No. I think what they did was a cool thing, I think that the way they’ve kind of parleyed that in to a marketing gimmick has certainly been shrewd, I think that at the end of the day if you look at what they did though was very much a Bayton switch; let’s get you to pay for a MySpace quality stream as a way to promote a very traditional record sale. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I don’t see that as being the revolution that they’re kinda getting credit for.

JJJ: So you think they didn’t look after fans enough by making that download a high quality?

TR: What they did right? They surprised the world with a new record and it was available digitally first. What they did wrong? By making it such a low quality thing, not even including artwork and including things they’ve even said themselves say the proper way to get this record is on a CD and that’s coming out in a few months, and to me that feels insincere. It relies upon the fact it was, you know, quote en quote “first” and it takes the headlines with it.[/quote]It bothers me that Trent sort of insults Radiohead. He says that because they offered the abum at a low quality and w/out artwork, it was insincere and they did fans wrong, just wanting sales of the cd. And while Trent did make Ghosts I a very nice, easy free download, he is also looking for sales by not giving out all four Ghosts. I don't think there's that much difference, but then I love Radiohead so maybe I don't see things the same way.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I've been thinking about this for a few days now.
It bothers me that Trent sort of insults Radiohead. He says that because they offered the abum at a low quality and w/out artwork, it was insincere and they did fans wrong, just wanting sales of the cd. And while Trent did make Ghosts I a very nice, easy free download, he is also looking for sales by not giving out all four Ghosts. I don't think there's that much difference, but then I love Radiohead so maybe I don't see things the same way.[/QUOTE]

It's true though.

It has nothing to do with them wanting sales but them (Radiohead) wanting the retail/disc sales. The whole In Rainbow thing was a gimmick to cash in on the people who wanted to listen to the album early not because they thought it was going to be a viable method.

They even twisted the knive by including extra songs in the discbox version and saying that the proper way to get In Rainbow was to buy it in stores after the fact.

With Ghost, they aren't twisting your arm by saying "ok, if you want all the music in a decent quality or want the artwork, you'll have to buy the disc". Everything is equal and every version only added other non-essential things (vinyl, multitracks, blu-ray disc, prints, hard book, fancy box, autograph)

The person who bought the $5 digital download and the person who bought the $300 deluxe edition aren't on different planes when it comes to what they bought. They both got the music in very high quality with artwork. Just one got a whole bunch of really fancy fluff with theirs.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']It bothers me that Trent sort of insults Radiohead. He says that because they offered the abum at a low quality and w/out artwork, it was insincere and they did fans wrong, just wanting sales of the cd. And while Trent did make Ghosts I a very nice, easy free download, he is also looking for sales by not giving out all four Ghosts. I don't think there's that much difference, but then I love Radiohead so maybe I don't see things the same way.[/quote]

I agree - if anything, Radiohead's method was better, IMO. They let you hear the entire album for free. Ghosts II-IV could have been like tracks 7-97 on Broken for all anyone knew.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree - if anything, Radiohead's method was better, IMO. They let you hear the entire album for free. Ghosts II-IV could have been like tracks 7-97 on Broken for all anyone knew.[/QUOTE]

They have a online player up that has selected tracks from all the Ghosts.

- edit Also about Broken

Broken was originally packaged in a fold-out digipak, containing the six tracks on a regular CD and an additional three-inch mini CD with the two remaining songs ("Physical" and "Suck"). After Reznor discovered that some unscrupulous record store owners were removing the mini CD and selling it separately, Broken was re-released as one CD, with the bonus songs "hidden" on tracks 98 and 99, respectively, with tracks 7-97 each containing a second of silence (three seconds per track on the UK release).

Hey, new YouTube video

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDUk0ESwt4[/MEDIA]

Hello-
First of all, a sincere THANK YOU for the response to Ghosts. We are all amazed at the reaction for what we assumed would be a quiet curiosity in the NIN catalog. My faith in all of you has been restored - let's all go have coffee somewhere (my treat)!

Today we announce the expansion of the Ghosts project into the visual world. This record began as an experiment with us using sound as a means to describe visuals. Early in the project we thought it would be interesting to see what the community could create / collaborate on as a reaction to the music we were making. We wanted to keep the canvas as blank as possible for you, hence the lack of descriptive song titles and the primarily textural artwork and packaging.
So here's the plan: we've teamed up with YouTube to host a "film festival" around Ghosts. The concept is for you to take whatever tracks you feel inspired by from Ghosts and create what you feel should accompany them visually. You will be able to see all of the submissions, and a team of us (including me) will be sorting through them and setting aside ones we feel are exceptional. Eventually (within a couple of months?) we will present a virtual "film festival" with me and some special guests presenting selections of your work.
This isn't a contest and you don't win elaborate prizes - it's meant to be an experiment in collaboration and a chance for us to interact beyond the typical one-way artist-to-fan relationship. We've discussed some interesting ways this could go, including multiple installments of the online "film festivals," to broadcast TV specials, to a one-time live performance of the entire Ghosts record with your visuals involved. It really depends on how this progresses and develops.
We are all very much looking forward to what you come up with, and hope you enjoy the experience. Visit our YouTube channel for information on how to participate.
TR

[quote name='Sporadic']With Ghost, they aren't twisting your arm by saying "ok, if you want all the music in a decent quality or want the artwork, you'll have to buy the disc". Everything is equal and every version only added other non-essential things (vinyl, multitracks, blu-ray disc, prints, hard book, fancy box, autograph)

The person who bought the $5 digital download and the person who bought the $300 deluxe edition aren't on different planes when it comes to what they bought. They both got the music in very high quality with artwork. Just one got a whole bunch of really fancy fluff with theirs.[/quote]But, the person that paid $0 for the digital download of In Rainbows got a low quality version of the entire CD. The person that paid $0 for Ghosts I didn't get the entire thing. You need to pay either band if you want the entire thing, and that entire thing might be quality-wise or content wise.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']But, the person that paid $0 for the digital download of In Rainbows got a low quality version of the entire CD. The person that paid $0 for Ghosts I didn't get the entire thing. You need to pay either band if you want the entire thing, and that entire thing might be quality-wise or content wise.[/QUOTE]

Trent isn't giving away this one.

With N1ggyTardust, the free people got 192kbps MP3s with artwork.
With Ghosts, the free people got to download Part 1 to see if they liked it. The artwork was free and you didn't need to enter a credit card to download. There was also the online player.

With In Rainbow, everybody who either paid or didn't pay got a very low quality version of the entire CD with no artwork or anything. If you wanted the real thing (or the extra tracks), you had to buy either the boxset or buy it at retail.

That's the problem Trent had with In Rainbow. The online release was gimped and the whole thing was a stunt to grab money from the people who wanted to listen to it early until they made it to retail.

also, didn't Trent personally pay $3,000 for In Rainbows, or something like that? basically a big "donation" type of thing, because he supported the idea of what Radiohead was doing? It probably felt like a betrayal of sorts when the album just came out in retail with bonus tracks after that.

EDIT: here it is, from NYmag http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/10/trent_reznor_and_saul_williams.html
[quote name='NYmag']How much did you guys pay for the new Radiohead album?

Saul: I paid $7, which is like, what, fourteen pounds? No, wait, that's like three pounds!

Trent: I bought the physical one, so I spent a whopping $80. [Pauses.] But, then I re-bought it and paid $5,000, because I really felt that I need to support the arts, so people could follow in my footsteps. [Saul laughs.][/quote]if I were him I'd be pissed!

[quote name='BustaUppa']also, didn't Trent personally pay $3,000 for In Rainbows, or something like that? basically a big "donation" type of thing, because he supported the idea of what Radiohead was doing? It probably felt like a betrayal of sorts when the album just came out in retail with bonus tracks after that.

EDIT: here it is, from NYmag http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/10/trent_reznor_and_saul_williams.html
if I were him I'd be pissed![/QUOTE]

That's a joke :)

I agree with Trent's distaste for the In Rainbows thing. It was just a publicity stunt, rather than any sort of actual, heartfelt attempt to do something new (well, new from an artist of NIN's stature) in music distribution.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']But, the person that paid $0 for the digital download of In Rainbows got a low quality version of the entire CD. The person that paid $0 for Ghosts I didn't get the entire thing. You need to pay either band if you want the entire thing, and that entire thing might be quality-wise or content wise.[/quote]

This isn't entirely true. From the FAQ:

Ghosts I-IV is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license.

You are legally allowed to get this from anywhere for $0 (and get a better audio quality than Radiohead provided). I think the $5 set price point is really nice because he is essentially saying that if you do feel you want to pay for this, all I want is $5.

I haven't bought this yet, despite being a big NIN fan. I want to pay. I tell myself that all I need is the $5 FLAC version because the $10 plastic will just be put in storage. However, I own almost every other Trent Reznor release so the small collector in me wants the physical object. (The other small problem is that the shipping cost is inexcusable).

Haven't seen this posted:

To expand the idea of the "Ghosts" project, we're inviting anyone and everyone to create visuals to accompany the album's music. In a few months, we'll be gathering the entries we feel are particularly exceptional and highlighting them. There are no rules to this - be as creative as you like. Create a music video, or a short film, or something completely abstract. Use only one track from the album, or use multiple tracks. Only one caveat: Incorporating copyrighted materials (clips from movies, music by other artists, etc) into your video might limit our ability to feature it in the future.

To submit your video, join the Ghosts group at http://www.youtube.com/group/ninghosts and add your video to the group. Good luck, and enjoy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDUk0ESwt4[/media]

Trent posted some tour dates up:

25 jul 08 Pemberton, BC Pemberton Festival
26 jul 08 Seattle, WA Key Arena
28 jul 08 Edmonton, ALB Rexall Place
29 jul 08 Calgary, ALB Pengrowth Saddledome
31 jul 08 Winnipeg, MAN MTS Centre
2 Aug 08 Minneapolis, MN Target Center
5 Aug 08 Toronto, ONT Air Canada Centre
7 Aug 08 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena
8 Aug 08 Worcester, MA DCU Center
12 Aug 08 Knoxville, TN Knoxville Civic Coliseum
13 Aug 08 Duluth, GA Gwinnett Arena
15 Aug 08 Oklahoma City, OK Ford Center
16 Aug 08 Houston, TX Toyota Center
18 Aug 08 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center
20 Aug 08 St Louis, MO Scottrade Center
22 Aug 08 Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena
23 Aug 08 Auburn Hills, MI Palace of Auburn Hills
27 Aug 08 East Rutherford, NJ Izod Center
29 Aug 08 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center
31 Aug 08 Lexington, KY Rupp Arena
2 Sep 08 Morrison, CO Red Rocks Amphitheater
3 Sep 08 Salt Lake City, UT The E Center of West Valley
5 Sep 08 Oakland, CA Oracle Arena
6 Sep 08 Inglewood, CA The Forum

They are also one of the headlines for the V-Fest in Baltimore, MD this year on August 9th and 10th, don't know what day NIN are playing but I'm probably going to try and go both days.

Headliners for V-Fest in Baltimore:
NIN
Foo Fighters
STP
Kenya West
Jack Johnson

[quote name='rabbitt']7 Aug 08 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena
29 Aug 08 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center [/quote]
Going to these.

[quote name='Midnite']They are also one of the headlines for the V-Fest in Baltimore, MD this year on August 9th and 10th, don't know what day NIN are playing but I'm probably going to try and go both days.[/quote]
There's a lot of speculation that NIN will also be headlining Saturday night at this year's Lollapalooza in Chicago, too. Radiohead and RATM have the other 2 nights.

They are also one of the headlines for the V-Fest in Baltimore, MD this year on August 9th and 10th, don't know what day NIN are playing but I'm probably going to try and go both days.

Headliners for V-Fest in Baltimore:
NIN
Foo Fighters
STP
Kenya West
Jack Johnson

[quote name='rabbitt']7 Aug 08 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena
29 Aug 08 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center [/quote]
Going to these.

[quote name='Midnite']They are also one of the headlines for the V-Fest in Baltimore, MD this year on August 9th and 10th, don't know what day NIN are playing but I'm probably going to try and go both days.[/quote]
There's a lot of speculation that NIN will also be headlining Saturday night at this year's Lollapalooza in Chicago, too. Radiohead and RATM have the other 2 nights.

Welcome back, Robin Finck!

238796039942f77ae8fedm6.jpg

Also it seems like the new bassist will be Rich Fownes.

So the lineup for this tour is:

Trent Reznor - Vocals/Guitar/Keyboard
Robin Finck - Lead Guitar
Rich Fownes - Bass
Alessandro Cortini - Keyboards
Josh Freese - Drums

[quote name='Sporadic']Welcome back, Robin Finck![/quote]

Wow...that's pretty exciting! My favorite iteration of NIN Live included Robin back in the "Further Down the Spiral" days. (Although it was terribly exciting to see Twiggy Ramirez Jordie White on stage with Trent a couple of summers ago).

Did Aaron North go back to the Icarus Line?

[quote name='rabbitt']Trent posted some tour dates up:

25 jul 08 Pemberton, BC Pemberton Festival
26 jul 08 Seattle, WA Key Arena
28 jul 08 Edmonton, ALB Rexall Place
29 jul 08 Calgary, ALB Pengrowth Saddledome
31 jul 08 Winnipeg, MAN MTS Centre
2 Aug 08 Minneapolis, MN Target Center
5 Aug 08 Toronto, ONT Air Canada Centre
7 Aug 08 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena
12 Aug 08 Knoxville, TN Knoxville Civic Coliseum
13 Aug 08 Duluth, GA Gwinnett Arena
15 Aug 08 Oklahoma City, OK Ford Center
16 Aug 08 Houston, TX Toyota Center
18 Aug 08 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center
20 Aug 08 St Louis, MO Scottrade Center
22 Aug 08 Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena
23 Aug 08 Auburn Hills, MI Palace of Auburn Hills
29 Aug 08 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center
31 Aug 08 Lexington, KY Rupp Arena
2 Sep 08 Morrison, CO Red Rocks Amphitheater
3 Sep 08 Salt Lake City, UT The E Center of West Valley
5 Sep 08 Oakland, CA Oracle Arena
6 Sep 08 Inglewood, CA The Forum[/quote]

Damn it, why no Vegas!!!:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb: I won't be able to make the Salt Lake or the two Cali shows...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Damn it, why no Vegas!!!:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb: I won't be able to make the Salt Lake or the two Cali shows...[/QUOTE]

They'll be posting more dates soon, so I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.

I hope NIN puts on a special show for their hometown, Cleveland, particularly since I'll be attending that one ;)

[quote name='Liquid 2']The CDs from the $10 package should have shipped yesterday (the 4th), right?[/QUOTE]

April 8th, the same day it can be purchased in-store.

[quote name='bmachine']Did Aaron North go back to the Icarus Line?[/QUOTE]

No, he started a new band Jubilee

North is currently preparing a full-length release for his new band Jubilee, that consists of Michael Shuman (Queens of the Stone Age) (Wires On Fire), Evan Weiss (Wires On Fire), and a slew of guest drummers. The album is said to "not be considered a side project" despite the various different drummers performing on the album, including Carla Azar, Josh Freese, Kevin Haskins, and Josh Homme, among others yet to be revealed.

http://www.jubilee.la/

Has anyone gotten their $10 copies that they ordered from the site yet? I know it shipped Tuesday, but i figured I'd get it today. I guess tomorrow.

bought the album at best buy today. i'm only a bit through the first disc at the moment, but i'm digging the shit out of it thus far. for what i paid, this is really a fuggin' bargain. the diversity of music on here is really quite nifty. i know the album sold quite a bit online, and despite purchasing it b&m, i really hope the distribution method he adopted is successful.

[quote name='Shmitty']bought the album at best buy today. i'm only a bit through the first disc at the moment, but i'm digging the shit out of it thus far. for what i paid, this is really a fuggin' bargain. the diversity of music on here is really quite nifty. i know the album sold quite a bit online, and despite purchasing it b&m, i really hope the distribution method he adopted is successful.[/quote]

I agree, but what I love about it is that it's $10 for 2 cds worth of music, essentially making it $5 a cd which is something I'll bite on for anything.

CD's shouldn't retail for more than $10 anyway. I hope this makes studios wake up and start giving us music that is affordable; you know they are making money like crazy at that price anyway. Can you imagine going to Best Buy each release week and instead of getting a CD for $10 that retails for $15, you get it for $5 that retails at $10? How many people would simply stop downloading music and just buy the damn thing? How many that would have paid $15 retail now buy 3? Why is it taking so long for studios to see this? Am I wrong that they would still be making plenty of money this way?

If a movie, that costs millions to create, costs just a bit more than a CD, which is probably more in the range of thousands to create, something is wrong here. I mean, movies get theater time, but does that really offset the cost enough?

bread's done
Back