Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!

[quote name='botticus']Should I hold my breath on this and/or Jam with the Band ever being localized, or just suck it up and import?[/QUOTE]

Chances are slim and none, whereas there's no reason to believe Jam with the Band won't ever make it to the states. Take a peek at some gameplay videos before you commit.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Chances are slim and none, whereas there's no reason to believe Jam with the Band won't ever make it to the states. Take a peek at some gameplay videos before you commit.[/QUOTE]
I guess I will have to wait for a lull (if such a thing exists) in DS releases to pick these up. Looks like I could get them for $45 a piece at Yes Asia, that's not so bad.

[quote name='Robobandit']First impressions..

this game is AMAZING!

Unfortunately, I suck.. this is one of the best Rhythm games I've ever played, the music is perfect and I'm getting a great laugh out of the story and the cheersquad guys. (It is hysterical how they look so serious when the whole premise is so insane. )

Very impressed and I already feel like it was worth the nearly $60 I spent to import it.[/QUOTE]

60 bucks? i got mine for 30 a while back and it should be like 45 shipped from yesasia. The game is really great, im on the last level Hard mode which is giving me a tough time but im very glad i bought this game ^_^

[quote name='Weedy649']60 bucks? i got mine for 30 a while back and it should be like 45 shipped from yesasia. The game is really great, im on the last level Hard mode which is giving me a tough time but im very glad i bought this game ^_^[/QUOTE]

Well, I generally buy my imports from Ncsx, which is $49 + 8.90 shipping (in this case) so ~$57

Worth every penny, though.

[quote name='botticus']I guess I will have to wait for a lull (if such a thing exists) in DS releases to pick these up. Looks like I could get them for $45 a piece at Yes Asia, that's not so bad.[/QUOTE]

Summertime!

I just nabbed myself a copy out in Osaka last weekend for aboot $22 used (but complete and like new).

This game friggin rocks!
I was cracking up so much already and I've only played the first 3 stages!

For those of you on the fence about importing, keep in mind that if it DOES come out in the States (or Europe) it will most likely have a different soundtrack b/c of the licensed Japanese music in the game. Plus its just damn fun! GET IT!

Hmm that would be compatibility issues for multiplayer then...

Anyhow, I just beat normal difficulty (all A/S) to unlock the hard difficulty. How cool is very hard?

[quote name='Gameboy415']I just nabbed myself a copy out in Osaka last weekend for aboot $22 used (but complete and like new).

This game friggin rocks!
I was cracking up so much already and I've only played the first 3 stages!

For those of you on the fence about importing, keep in mind that if it DOES come out in the States (or Europe) it will most likely have a different soundtrack b/c of the licensed Japanese music in the game. Plus its just damn fun! GET IT![/QUOTE]

I was on the fence, but, if the music's licensed, I'll probably pick it up in Tokyo when I'm there next month. I know that if Band Brothers ever makes it to the states that the song list will get butchered.

Give me one good reason why Nintendo would make a brand new game for Americans.

Because in order for the soundtrack to be changed, the levels would have to be, too.

[quote name='A Link to the Past']Give me one good reason why Nintendo would make a brand new game for Americans.

Because in order for the soundtrack to be changed, the levels would have to be, too.[/QUOTE]
Right now, Nintendo has three options (This is for both Ouendan and Band Brothers):
1. License the rights to all of the songs for a US release.
2. Replace the songs with either generic music or American songs, and reprogram the levels to match them.
3. Don't release the games at all.

Which option they use depends on the results of the cost-benefit analysis.

[quote name='banpeikun']There's a big thread on gamefaqs about a rumor that Atlus is bringing it over. Who knows if it's true, but it's definately worth the $$ to import. I have an extra copy too if anyone wants to buy it (new/sealed)[/quote]

Atlus just denied it unfortunately.

just got it today...played one song and it's a lot of fun so far.

Picked up my copy via a trade earlier this week.

This game is a lot of fun. A bit difficult at times, but I'm still getting used to it. The art style is brilliant, and the gameplay can get really intense. I cannot imagine why this game couldn't sell in the States. It would be sexual if they brought it over with the ability to play both the original Jpop songs and some trashy American songs on it. Oh god. Unf.

I like the fact that they used an Asian Kung Fu Generation (Akijan) song on there (in the first level, and coincidentally one of their better songs). Anyone into Jpop should look'm up. They are kind of like Weezer, except maybe a bit more rock.

tried to get back to studying and played through a bunch of songs instead. Now I see what all the fuss is about :D

okay, this is my favorite ds game by far! I'm freaking hooked. need more ds rhythm games!

[quote name='Apossum']okay, this is my favorite ds game by far! I'm freaking hooked. need more ds rhythm games![/QUOTE]

how many music games are on the DS? 3 or 4?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']how many music games are on the DS? 3 or 4?[/quote]

The only ones I know of are Daigasso, Ouendan and Electroplankton.

I'm STILL stuck on this game, darn it. :[

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']how many music games are on the DS? 3 or 4?[/QUOTE]

0 in the states...besides electroplankton, but that doesn't count.

Wholly nuts - I finally got a chance to play this game is it rocks! My girlfriend is hooked, too, and it's really cute to see her get frustrated but keep trying regardless.

IMPORT THIS GAME if you like rhythem games and don't mind your songs being in Japanese - trust me, you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='daroga']What's the best deal out there for this?[/QUOTE]

all the import sites have it for $40+ shipped, but you can get for just under $40 on ebay.

i'm on the last song on Normal mode-- soooo hard.

For those considering importing it, it really is a great game, but kind of on the short side. There are a few stages that are extremely difficult, but the rest were fairly easy to go through.

[quote name='dayglo']For those considering importing it, it really is a great game, but kind of on the short side. There are a few stages that are extremely difficult, but the rest were fairly easy to go through.[/quote]

All your opinions are rejected, since you're a monster who consumes rhythm games.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart'][quote name='dayglo']For those considering importing it, it really is a great game, but kind of on the short side. There are a few stages that are extremely difficult, but the rest were fairly easy to go through.[/QUOTE]All your opinions are rejected, since you're a monster who consumes rhythm games.[/QUOTE]

I'm STILL stuck on the Police vs Robot level in very hard. I can't believe you think this game is to easy/short, dayglo.

so there still isn't anything concrete about this game getting released in the US?

I really want to get it and I am thinking about heading to this local import game shop to get it soon. But then again I don't want to pay $50+ bucks for it if it's going to be released soon.

it's official: Ready Steady Go eats babies. I just played for an hour straight and only made it to the crazy part in the third section (after you have to twirl it 3 times.)

[quote name='Apossum']it's official: Ready Steady Go eats babies. I just played for an hour straight and only made it to the crazy part in the third section (after you have to twirl it 3 times.)[/quote]

Try getting past the first segemtn on Hard. That song is unforgiving as all hell. Make 3 mstakes and you're pretty much fucked.

i can never beat Ready Steady Go on very hard. thats teh only one left i have to beat in order to beat everything. i fudged up in the 2nd part

It happened to me. I manage to accidentally break my stylus in half performing the spinners. I spun the stylus so hard and fast that the pressure on my fingers broke the stylus in two. Luckily I still had the second stylus that came with the DS I bought. Damn, I never thought those spinners could be so brutal not only on the touch screen but also with the stylus as well.

[quote name='Chiyoumen']Damn, I never thought those spinners could be so brutal not only on the touch screen but also with the stylus as well.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about the damage to the screen. I bought a screen protector over the weekend for the touch screen and the thing is already getting scratches from the disk spin. Best $2.50 insurance I've ever bought. :)

Just how bad is this game on the touch screen anyway?

I've been thinking about getting it, but I don't have a screen protector (my screen is already covered in light scratches from Meteos and Trauma Center, so I feel it's a bit late to invest in a protector. Especially since I'm planning to trade my DS in for a DS lite if there are any deals going on for that). From the videos I've seen, most of the game doesn't look any more scratch inducing than Trauma Center, but the spinners look evil. Is it at all practical or efficient to switch to your finger just for the spinners?

Ignore my last comment as I caved in and bought a hori screen protector for Metroid Hunters.

Now my question is is this game really worth $40? It looks pretty fun, but how long is it, and how good is the music? Does it have a lot of replay value? And how much would I be missing out on if I don't speak fluent Japanese? (I know some from college, but enough to keep up with the quick speaking)

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Now my question is is this game really worth $40? It looks pretty fun, but how long is it, and how good is the music? Does it have a lot of replay value? And how much would I be missing out on if I don't speak fluent Japanese? (I know some from college, but enough to keep up with the quick speaking)[/QUOTE]

I personally play this the most out of my collection. But then again, I only have 4 games for the DS so that may not be a fair measure.

I love the game, my girlfriend loves the game. I can't comment on the length but I think there are three difficulty levels, so that should keep you busy if you really want to get the S-Rankings.

I love the music, but then again, I listen to J-Pop/J-Rock more than any other genre so I am biased.

You don't need to know Japanese to enjoy the game although it does help if you can read so as to enjoy the stories behind each level a bit more. Listening comprehension only comes in when trying to understand the songs.

Definitely worth it in my book for such a quirky game.

Hope that helps!

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']

Now my question is is this game really worth $40? It looks pretty fun, but how long is it, and how good is the music? Does it have a lot of replay value? And how much would I be missing out on if I don't speak fluent Japanese? (I know some from college, but enough to keep up with the quick speaking)[/QUOTE]

worth $40? Yes. it's super addicting and you'll play it over and over. there are about 15 songs and they're all very catchy. plus, the patterns are completely different in each difficulty. It's not the kind of game you beat once, then put down. not sure how long it is exactly, but if you get into it, you'll play it a million times.

music? The music is japanese pop-punk, with some techno pop. it's good, catchy, happy pop that'll stick in your head. it's cheesy but a lot of fun. I don't listen to tis kind of stuff on my own, but it fits the game.

japanese? it's all text. you can figure out the stories just by watching the comic panels and animation in the top screen (which are all quite amusing.) I don't know any japanese and i figured out the menus and how to play in a minute.

Did you know? All Japanese people scream all the time and are super-passionate about everything. when life gets them down, they shout "ouendan!" and their very own cheerleading squad pops out and helps them kick ass and scream more. You can learn all this and more from Osu.

[quote name='asianxcore']that video was awesome. question though, where is the stylus?[/QUOTE]

you can view replays after the song's over.

By the way, anyone know where I can get some sound clips from this? I want my phone to scream "OUENDAAAANNN!" everytime I get a call. :)

I started playing this again last night. I've got the 25,000,000 point rank now. I wonder how high your scores have to be to get the top rank. So far I've only gotten one S ever, but I always play until I get a perfect and A.

I'm loving this game so far, but damn do I suck at it. must practice more. Heck, I'm only on the 2nd level and I feel frustrated sometimes :)

[quote name='Ecofreak']WHAT?! HOW?!?![/QUOTE]

On the stage results screen, press the button on the lower left corner.

[quote name='Jack']On the stage results screen, press the button on the lower left corner.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I figured that out right after I posted. When I read the word "Replay" I thought it meant that I would try it again - not watch the reply itself. Which explains why, when I did the replay, my hits were off sometimes.

Thought my screen was busted or something. ;)

bread's done
Back