Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!

Now only have song (the giant mouse) before "Ready, Steady, Go!" on hard. I'm stopping for the evening or else I know I'll sit up all night trying to beat "Ready Steady". Was up far too late playing last night...

I was able to beat the cops and robots scene on hard in one shot, which was sort of remarkable. I attribute it to the fact that I had to play it a billion times on normal to get through it, so I was pretty up on the song's rhythm.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Now only have song (the giant mouse) before "Ready, Steady, Go!" on hard. I'm stopping for the evening or else I know I'll sit up all night trying to beat "Ready Steady". Was up far too late playing last night...

I was able to beat the cops and robots scene on hard in one shot, which was sort of remarkable. I attribute it to the fact that I had to play it a billion times on normal to get through it, so I was pretty up on the song's rhythm.

-HM[/quote]

Nice work. Cops & Robots will kick your ass over and over on Very Hard.

[quote name='Vegan']Nice work. Cops & Robots will kick your ass over and over on Very Hard.[/quote]argh don't even remind me of that, it was SICK

[quote name='Vegan']Nice work. Cops & Robots will kick your ass over and over on Very Hard.[/QUOTE]

That was the point when I stopped playing. :)

Just beat "Ready Steady" on hard - whee! Pulled it out with an A, which was pretty remarkable considering I got a fail on the last section. I think I now have the pattern more or less down for the parts that I kept getting out of sync with. Might try to improve my score on that song at some point.

In the nick of time - the battery light went red after I finished. Boy it would've sucked if the battery died as I was playing.

-HM

Hmm, I should pick this game up again. I believe I got up to Ready Steady Go on the girls, but I'm afraid Ill spend countless times failing on that one... Can't wait for Elite Beat.

[quote name='banpeikun']If you passed RSG on the hardest male level, you should be able to do it on girls.[/quote]the insane difficulties are pretty much just reversed of Hard, besides the fact that you don't see the numbers beforehand like in the other modes

I've gotten through three levels of the female cheerleaders. It is a major pain in the ass. It seems like it's going to be brute memorization considering the circles come up so damned fast.

They're damned cute though.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']I've gotten through three levels of the female cheerleaders. It is a major pain in the ass. It seems like it's going to be brute memorization considering the circles come up so damned fast.

They're damned cute though.

-HM[/quote]only the middle one :razz:

Well, after taking a break I FINALLY beat RSG on Normal. I think in all the excitement I wasn't holding the tracks *quite* long enough, which resulted in 100s rather than 300s. When I realized this and made a conscience effort to keep the stylus down that extra fraction of a second, it's amazing how the health bar stayed up! :)

Now, onto hard...

[quote name='hootie']Ready Steady Go on Normal is owning the hell out of me :cry:[/quote]The up-beat section is wicked. You'll get a feel for it.

Also, make surethat you're holding all the tracks to the very end and getting 300s. That's what kept me from beating it for a while. I was so anxious about what was coming up next that I was taking the stylus off a split-second too soon and really shootingmyself in the foot.

I fnally Beat "Ready Steady" on ultra hard (female cheerleaders) today. Was brutal. If you don't get 300s on 90+% of the hits, you're screwed.

Good luck everyone - "Ready Steady" on normal definitely 0wn3d me for a couple of days. But you'll get the gist of it. Just get the hang of those spinners so you can regain health at the midpoint!

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']I fnally Beat "Ready Steady" on ultra hard (female cheerleaders) today. Was brutal. If you don't get 300s on 90+% of the hits, you're screwed.[/quote]assuming you didn't miss one of the other 10%, doesn't that mean you got an S?

This may be a dumb question but is there any language selections on the import? I am thinking of picking this up for my wife but she isnt one to sit through something she doesnt understand?

[quote name='Snake2715']This may be a dumb question but is there any language selections on the import? I am thinking of picking this up for my wife but she isnt one to sit through something she doesnt understand?[/quote]

Honestly, you don't need a language selection. It's all in Japanese, but the pictures make it clear enough what's going on. You won't understand every detail, but you will understand the stories and anything you don't get doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

If you've seen Elite Beat Agents, you know how they go about storytelling. The words there aren't really necessary, either -- the pictures do a great job of telling the story all by themselves.

[quote name='blandstalker']Honestly, you don't need a language selection. It's all in Japanese, but the pictures make it clear enough what's going on. You won't understand every detail, but you will understand the stories and anything you don't get doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

If you've seen Elite Beat Agents, you know how they go about storytelling. The words there aren't really necessary, either -- the pictures do a great job of telling the story all by themselves.[/quote]Yup, don't let the langague thing prevent you from playing this. It's EBA with better (imo) songs. It can also be fun to fill in the dtails of the story yourself, just making crap up. ;)

I personally find that Ouendan just plays a little better. The patterns they came up with are just damned fun to trace out. A lot of this is probably the music selections.

-HM

My wife loves EBA and I've considered getting this one for her... except I think I read somewhere that you can't skip the intro scenes at all (even when retrying the same song for the 15th time)... is this true?

[quote name='UncleBob']My wife loves EBA and I've considered getting this one for her... except I think I read somewhere that you can't skip the intro scenes at all (even when retrying the same song for the 15th time)... is this true?[/QUOTE]

I did it a few times at Target, as I suck unmercifully at this and Ouendan.

[quote name='UncleBob']My wife loves EBA and I've considered getting this one for her... except I think I read somewhere that you can't skip the intro scenes at all (even when retrying the same song for the 15th time)... is this true?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's true. I really only found it annoying on the final stage, which has a much longer opening than all the others.

[quote name='UncleBob']My wife loves EBA and I've considered getting this one for her... except I think I read somewhere that you can't skip the intro scenes at all (even when retrying the same song for the 15th time)... is this true?[/quote]

I think this needs a little clarification.

The comic-style storytelling at the beginning of each level can always be skipped. Like in EBA, there's a little red word at the bottom right corner ("sukippu") that goes right to the song.

The songs themselves have a little musical intro, but for everything except Ready Steady Go is pretty short.

For example, on Cleopatra's Miracle Diet, there's the comic that tells the story. You can skip it. She then yells "Ouendaaaaannnnnnn" and the song starts. It's about ten seconds of song intro, which includes the title, the powerbar filling, the 3-2-1 countdown, and the cheerleaders yelling "Go!"

I checked the pottery master and the salaryman levels, and they were both about 14 seconds until you need to start tapping. This sounds longer than it is -- it's about enough time to take a deep breath and find the beat.

If you blow it, you get the retry screen. If you choose to retry, you get the "Ouendaaaaan" scream and the song starts. It doesn't repeat the comic.

Also, if you know you're going down the tubes, you can pause and select restart and it will start pretty quickly, skipping the defeat screen, the yes/no retry, and the "Ouendaaaaannnnn" scream.

This is a good summary. But UncleBob, be aware that in EBA it is possible to do additional skipping so you can get right up to where you start bonking on the circles with your stylus, thus actually skipping the intro music to the song. In Ouendan you cannot - you have to listen to the beginning of the song (and as someone said above, "Ready Steady Go"'s intro music is particularly long).

-HM

I bought it off ebay for $50CAD great game. I love if you love elite beat get this game. If you've never played elite beat get it anyways it's still awesome.

getting badly owned atm on the pottery stage on insane mode. I would have to say I have gotten my moneys worth as I bought this more than 6 months ago and still playing it a lot. :applause:

Woooooo! I beat RSG on Normal FINALLY!!!!!!!

I have already finished 9 songs on Hard too, but I'm stuck on the Egypt and Violin levels =(

Has there been any rumbles about a sequel to Ouendan? After playing it and EBA more recently (and a lot), I'm pretty sure I'd preorder and import for an Ouendan sequel sight-unseen.

[quote name='hootie']Woooooo! I beat RSG on Normal FINALLY!!!!!!!

I have already finished 9 songs on Hard too, but I'm stuck on the Egypt and Violin levels =([/quote]ah man i remember the violin one, i kept messing up and getting stabbed by those blasted pitchforks, funny story though :)

After rocking everying on EBA (that is, passing), I moved back to Ouendan and raced through the Hard mode. Probably took me 10 or 11 tries to get RSG down, compared to like 2 weeks of on-and-off trying for Normal back in October. ;)

Currently on the Violin story / Egypt story with the cheerleaders. I got there kinda late last night and I was pretty fried (played most of the Hard mode and through the 9 songs of the Very Hard all last night), so I think I might take a short respite. But, man, I love this game. :)

While I like the music in Ouendan more (my wife asked me the other day, "Are you really listening to Survivor?" ... "No, Sweetie, I'm saving people from ZOMBIES!" ;) ), I think EBA ended up having the more fun patterns to it for the music on the more advanced levels. Any other thoughts?

[quote name='daroga']
While I like the music in Ouendan more (my wife asked me the other day, "Are you really listening to Survivor?" ... "No, Sweetie, I'm saving people from ZOMBIES!" ;) ), I think EBA ended up having the more fun patterns to it for the music on the more advanced levels. Any other thoughts?[/quote]

I agree with this. I think EBA's patterns are harder, too.

I was thinking about Ouendan yesterday, and part of the reason I like the music more is that I associate the music with the game, and not with anything else. I know that the music in Ouendan wasn't made for the game, but because I can't understand most of what is being sung and because I haven't heard all these songs before, it feels special to that game.

Cleopatra is a great example. I just *think* about the music and I've got her wacky story in my head, and the music too, and I want to drop what I'm doing and get Ouendan.

Currently stuck on the policemen level with the cheerleaders. It took me awhile to get past the sarariman. I'm actually in no rush to finish. I'm just as likely to play one of my favorite levels as try to beat those @#$% robots.

And yet, with all that, I still think EBA is an amazing effort and game. I wasn't sure I'd like the music choices, but they do work and they work pretty well.

[quote name='blandstalker']I agree with this. I think EBA's patterns are harder, too.

I was thinking about Ouendan yesterday, and part of the reason I like the music more is that I associate the music with the game, and not with anything else. I know that the music in Ouendan wasn't made for the game, but because I can't understand most of what is being sung and because I haven't heard all these songs before, it feels special to that game.

Cleopatra is a great example. I just *think* about the music and I've got her wacky story in my head, and the music too, and I want to drop what I'm doing and get Ouendan.

Currently stuck on the policemen level with the cheerleaders. It took me awhile to get past the sarariman. I'm actually in no rush to finish. I'm just as likely to play one of my favorite levels as try to beat those @#$% robots.

And yet, with all that, I still think EBA is an amazing effort and game. I wasn't sure I'd like the music choices, but they do work and they work pretty well.[/quote]I was thinking the exact same thing (just beat the freaking robots myself on the cheerleaders ;) ).

For us, the music in EBA has a bit of a stigma attached to them. They're either "old" songs, or not your style of music, you hate the covers, whatever. But for Ouendan songs, you've got nothing attached to it save for the game. But once you get into EBA, it really is fun regardless of the stigmata. Had a similar experience with DDR. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to "It's Raining Men"... ever. But dancing in a dorm lobby with a few beers and a silly group of folks? Sure, why the heck not? ;)

EDIT: Looking at your Sig, how is Band Brothers compared to Ouendan/EBA?

[quote name='daroga']
EDIT: Looking at your Sig, how is Band Brothers compared to Ouendan/EBA?[/quote]

I love it! It's wonderful! Equally as great as Ouendan, but a completely different thing.

I wrote a bit about it here, since it came up during the last CAGcast (which I didn't listen to).

There's no story and it looks like a GBA game, but neither of those things are the point. It's all about the music.

There are 35 songs, which range from J-Pop to classical to Nintendo/Gameboy music. Each of the songs can have up to 8 tracks, each of which is an instrument, like guitar, bass, trumpet, flute, brass, or drums. There are a lot of instruments.

Your job is to play along with the notes in the track. The notes are represented by button or D-pad presses (U, D, L, R, A, B, X, Y) and it indicates how long you have to hold the button. You don't need to be able to read music. It plays a bit like DDR, but it really feels like you are making music.

Because you are. The music playing in the background is the mix for the song minus the instrument/part you are currently playing. Eventually you get to play every part in the song. This is really cool.

Each instrument's part is unique, and songs can have instrumental parts that range from very easy (1 star) to very hard (5 stars).

You play the game by practicing tracks and then taking a test. The 1 star test, for example, takes three 1 star tracks at random and you have to perform them all in a row. You need an average of 80% for each to pass.

Once you beat the test for a star level, you unlock the tracks for the next star level. It's a comfortable difficulty curve, very much like Ouendan. The 1 star tracks are ridiculously easy, but the 5 star ones are tough and will seem impossible when you start the game. But as you play, you get better. You can practice tracks, or sections of tracks if you want to.

This is already quite a lot, but there's more. Once you beat the game on easy, you get Hard mode, which is much more difficult. In addition to the D-pad and ABXY buttons, you have to use L for sharps and flats, and R to change octave. This is tough, and the Hard mode 1 star tracks are the equivalent of easy mode 3 star tracks.

You also unlock a score editor. If you can read music, you can make 8 of your own songs, each of which can have 8 tracks. It is a powerful music editor and you can make real music with it. This uses the touchscreen and it's so intuitive and well-designed. I'm currently entering all four vocal parts of Brahms' "How Lovely Is Thy Dwelling Place" and it's been easy to do.

Then there's multiplayer, which I haven't used. 2-8 players. I think each player plays a part in the song simultaneously.

It's a huge game. The music is very good. Ouendan fans will recognize Ready Steady Go and the Policemen vs. Robots songs, though these are actually the weaker songs (they're better on Hard when they're faster). The other J-Pop songs are actually more fun to play along to, and they're addictive.

There are plenty of tracks where I'd play it, do very well, and then go back and play it again because it was just so enjoyable. I really like playing along with the harmonies and rhythms. Tracks that are favorites of mine are Point of No Return, Namonaki Uta , Sora mo Toberu Hazu, Zenbu Dakishimete, Choo Choo Train, Sakuranbo, Yeah! Meccha Holiday, Russian Medley, Way of Difference, Classical Medley, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Fire Emblem, Zelda Medley, and the Smash Brothers theme. All of these are wonderful, and consistently fun to play.

There's some weirdness, of course. A "World Music" medley consisting of Hava Nagilah, La Cucaracha, and La Bamba. A Christmas Medley. A medley of children's tunes that I call the "Barney Medley".

Downsides? The musical instruments are all synthesized. This makes some things sound a little cheesier (imagine muzak Policemen vs. Robots). And Hard is very hard -- it's extremely difficult to pull off some of the L + R + button or D-pad combinations and some of them just fly by. And while the music editor is powerful and easy to use, it's hard to get a sense of the whole song at once.

But really, this doesn't matter much. I'll gladly take the trade of the synthesized sounds for the number of tracks you get. It's amazing to me that this is a DS game -- for the $40 it cost, I got one of the best and biggest music games ever, a music editor, and it's portable.

If you've ever been in a choir or band and liked it, or if you enjoy listening to the different parts of a song, this game is perfect for you. I'm pretty musical -- I sing and play instruments and occasionally arrange music -- and this game is just awesome for me. But you don't have to be a musician -- although you might be when you've played it for awhile.

As with Ouendan, the only regret is that I waited as long as I did. I'm very cheap and I don't import much, but I would gladly pay twice what I did without a second thought. Definitely in my top 3 DS games, and I wouldn't sell or trade it at any cost.

Also as with Ouendan, should this ever get released here, the track listings will probably be mostly different. I can see them keeping the classical, kiddy, and Nintendo tracks, but all the J-Pop and TV themes will be gone, replaced by Western music. Fire Emblem isn't as big a deal here, either, so I bet that would go, which is a shame. So probably 75% of the tracks would be different.

For more, including a list of all the songs included, here's the wikipedia page on Daigasso.

Awesome, I might have to check it out! :)

Just beat RSG with the cheerleaders. For some reason, the beginning of the song was giving me more fits than anything. Silly. I can't believe I did that. I remember when I was about 1/2 way though "Normal" in October, that I watched a video replay of this level and thought, "heh, yeah, right..." But here I am, longing for more songs to play! ;)

what. the fuck. Ready Steady Go on hard is so unforgiving. I get all 300s, a couple 100s and maybe 1 or 2 50s and I have no energy left by the time I get to the first spinner. I'm about to get a freaking game genie for this shit!

Just keep going and work REALLY hard at getting extra on the spinners. I beat it on hard, but kinda gave on of the fourth difficulty.

Daigasso sounds fun, I may have to pick it and the expansion up sometime.

[quote name='daroga']I think EBA ended up having the more fun patterns to it for the music on the more advanced levels. Any other thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. I was going to buy EBA, shitty music and all, before trying out a few songs and seeing how much easier it was. I didn't play EBA on the hardest difficulty, since the friend who had me try it hadn't completed hard yet, but what I did play was much slower than Ouendan. In fact, I went back and forth between EBA/Hard and Ouendan/Normal and Ouendan/Normal had beats come faster and was more challenging. Unless EBA/Very Hard is faster than Normal or Hard and at least meets, if not exceeds, the difficulty of Ouendan, I'd be hard pressed to endorse EBA over the original.

[quote name='Apossum']what. the fuck. Ready Steady Go on hard is so unforgiving. I get all 300s, a couple 100s and maybe 1 or 2 50s and I have no energy left by the time I get to the first spinner. I'm about to get a freaking game genie for this shit![/QUOTE]

If you are having that hard of a time with RSG on hard, prepared to be emasculated by RSG on very hard.

[quote name='alongx']I have to disagree. I was going to buy EBA, shitty music and all, before trying out a few songs and seeing how much easier it was. I didn't play EBA on the hardest difficulty, since the friend who had me try it hadn't completed hard yet, but what I did play was much slower than Ouendan. In fact, I went back and forth between EBA/Hard and Ouendan/Normal and Ouendan/Normal had beats come faster and was more challenging. Unless EBA/Very Hard is faster than Normal or Hard and at least meets, if not exceeds, the difficulty of Ouendan, I'd be hard pressed to endorse EBA over the original.[/quote]I'd have to disagree whole heartily. After beating the last level of EBA (which, like Ouendan, is the same as the 2nd to last level, just less warning on the buttons and the patterns are mirrored) and struggling with some along the way, I tore through hard and very hard on Ouendan. The only one that really gave me issues was RSG on very hard, and that I largely attribute to having to wait forever to replay each time (the several "skips" in EBA are a God-send! ;) ). But, in the end, it wasn't difficulty I was talking about, it was fun. I think EBA's patterns are just more fun than Ouendan's, though I cannot wait for a sequel to either. :)

Even though Ouendan has less challenging patterns, EBA is a bit easier for me. It seems that EBA is a bit more lenient when you make mistakes than Ouendan. I can't say either one has better patterns than the other, most of them in both games are well done.

Yesterday, I finally beat Ready Steady Go on hard (I got the game shortly after its release). I got mostly 300s, about 60 100s, no 50s and 1 miss and barely passed. I got the miss in the first section and was in the red for most of the stage.

*revives*

Whew, I just passed 4 songs on Hard, now all I have left is Ready Steady Go...

I tried it once, and I got owned so fast I didn't even know what hit me...

Just sold my copy on eBay. It was a ton of fun, and cannot wait for the sequel, but didn't really see coming back to get all super high scores or anything. I beat the hardest difficulty, which is more than I normally do for games. ;)

[quote name='daroga']Just sold my copy on eBay.[/quote]

You filthy traitor :twoguns:

haha just kidding, but you should've kept it regardless. One day you'll be tearing at yourself for selling it for a measly ~$44 to some unknown guy on ebay. YOU WILL.

bread's done
Back