Otomedius Excellent Pre-Order drops to $29.99 @ Gamestop.com & Amazon.com

Monsta Mack

CAGiversary!
As of today this game is now $29.99 on Amazon and Best Buy for standard editions. You can safetly switch your pre-orders to Amazon for no tax (in most states) and free shipping (everywhere). Not sure if they would add release date delivery for a product like this, if they do I will update the OP again (or if the price drops again to say $20).

This is now wikied so anyone can feel free to contribute to this thread as I will not have Internet for near a month, but should have it just in time for when this title is out.

Right now the release date is 11/1 which of course is always subject to change. (Game has been pushed back all year now.)

The collectors editon for $20 extra comes with: Pillowcase, Artbook and Game Soundtrack. Not too shabby.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003WY86NE/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20 Standard Edition at $25.10 Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Otomedius-Exc...YZXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308291351&sr=8-1 Collectors Editions OOS as of 2/7/2012

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960 Standard Edition $29.99 Best Buy

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/otomedius-excellent/77876 Gamestop online looks to only be supplying the collectors edition for now. (OOS as of 2/7/2012. Pre-Owned is $39.99.)

Wal-Mart currently wants $40 for this and a few other sites are over the new MSRP. If anyone happens to find any cheap deals on this game in the future feel free to wiki edit it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryIuPCFC3Cw&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
When the game was going to be released this month, it would have been 2 days after my birthday too. ;)

Ok, so after playing Multiplayer mode I've found that it plays like a 2 player game of Sonic in that it's really Player 1 that needs to watch out, because Player 2 (or 3) can be the "Tails" and get the crap kicked out of them, but still come back for more, long as Player 1 is doing alright. A lot more bullets and enemies in this mode too, and it seems THIS is the mode to play once you've finished unlocking characters and galleries in Story Mode! LOTS of weapon cards to be found here! And you don't NEED more than one player for Multiplayer mode. Heck if the other players don't press start at the character select screen, it's just 1 Player going at it! Like I said, you'll probably be in this mode after all's said and done. I'll see if this also applies to Score Attack Mode (probably does).

[quote name='Kenshindono']Yes, its full price, The MSRP at launch is 'full price'

And i know theyre relatively short but a review in OXM mentioned it took less than half an hour to beat it o_O Thats a bit TOO short. A bigger concern was that evidently if you play multiplayer and the 2nd player dies, thats it they cant continue, they get dumped. If the first player dies, the game just ends and dumps the 2nd player as well

tahts a HORRIBLE system. Please tell me its not that way for 2 player local?[/QUOTE]

95% of shooters out there are beaten in half an hour.

If you're playing a shooter to just beat it once, you're missing the point of the genre.

Canceled my CE preorder. Don't think I'm gonna get around to playing it anytime soon, looks kinda meh anyway, and I could really use the money for other things right now.

[quote name='dallow']95% of shooters out there are beaten in half an hour.

If you're playing a shooter to just beat it once, you're missing the point of the genre.[/QUOTE]

Don't think I've ever met a Gradius game with a scoring system worth actually bothering with, even if you're the sort who cares about score.

And that's no bigger a tick in favor of the shump genre than it would be for the 4 hour long first person shooters out nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, I've been stocking a lot of shumps lately and am enjoying them, but you can't sell the genre like that. "You clearly don't understand it." It's smug and turns people OFF the genre.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Don't think I've ever met a Gradius game with a scoring system worth actually bothering with, even if you're the sort who cares about score.

And that's no bigger a tick in favor of the shump genre than it would be for the 4 hour long first person shooters out nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, I've been stocking a lot of shumps lately and am enjoying them, but you can't sell the genre like that. "You clearly don't understand it." It's smug and turns people OFF the genre.[/QUOTE]

Complaining about shoot-em-up length is a pretty big indicator that somebody doesn't know anything about the genre. IMO Kenshindono hasn't contributed anything but silliness to this thread so far, and all of sudden realizing Otomedius is a shooter pretty much takes the cake.

I do think 2D shooters tend to be too hardcore and difficult, turning off casual players. I mean, bullet hell shooters most definitely do exactly that. But Otomedius and Gradius thankfully aren't that kind of game and can be enjoyed by a wider audience. While the scoring system in Otomedius may not necessitate taking extra risks/etc. to improve your score, that doesn't mean that trying for a better score isn't fun or a demonstration of the player's skill.

Fair enough.

Though again, I don't think Gradius is necessarily easier or harder than a bullet hell shooter. Your hit box is much larger and the bullet pacing is less measured. It takes a lot less to kill you and, as a result, the difficulty curve feels less refined and more dodgy, prone to more erratic spikes and providing more easy cheese opportunities for bosses. At least in my experience, the Cave games and the Touhous and what not feel a lot smoother, sharper paced, less prone to wasting your time. (Well, maybe the Touhous still waste your time a little...) Of course, the only Gradius games I really remember are Rebirth Wii and Galaxies GBA.

A proper scoring system does not necessarily mean you should have to take extra risks, it just has to be a decent means of playing, usually a meta-game atop the main game that's intuitive. But just having the magic number up there and some leaderboards does not necessarily impart innate value. We're at no shortage of score attack games. Even CoD4 had a scoring mode.

Still, all that aside, still thinking about this one. Cannot decide if I want it and for what price. After seeing Deathsmiles remain fairly commonplace after cratering in price (And then the Play Asia sales), I don't know how much more I want to waste on the genre by jumping in early, or at all. It's not like there's a shortage...

[quote name='Fizz_Usagi']When the game was going to be released this month, it would have been 2 days after my birthday too. ;)

Ok, so after playing Multiplayer mode I've found that it plays like a 2 player game of Sonic in that it's really Player 1 that needs to watch out, because Player 2 (or 3) can be the "Tails" and get the crap kicked out of them, but still come back for more, long as Player 1 is doing alright. A lot more bullets and enemies in this mode too, and it seems THIS is the mode to play once you've finished unlocking characters and galleries in Story Mode! LOTS of weapon cards to be found here! And you don't NEED more than one player for Multiplayer mode. Heck if the other players don't press start at the character select screen, it's just 1 Player going at it! Like I said, you'll probably be in this mode after all's said and done. I'll see if this also applies to Score Attack Mode (probably does).[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, the sonic analogy works quite well. Just to be clear, player 2 can continue all they want then? I guess thats kinda ok, but really sucks that its game over if player 1 dies. Thats really not what i was looking for in a co-op game. I wanted a real 2 player mode. That sounds kinda... well, lame. Weird about the fact that you can play multilayer in single player mode though o_O And even stranger that you seem to indicate thats the mode that lets you get a lot of the weapons.

btw a little clarification on your earlier post. You said that each character doesn't have individual endings? Whats the point of beating it with them then, just the different artwork you mentioned? Thats another bummer for me

[quote name='eastx']Complaining about shoot-em-up length is a pretty big indicator that somebody doesn't know anything about the genre. IMO Kenshindono hasn't contributed anything but silliness to this thread so far, and all of sudden realizing Otomedius is a shooter pretty much takes the cake.

I do think 2D shooters tend to be too hardcore and difficult, turning off casual players. I mean, bullet hell shooters most definitely do exactly that. But Otomedius and Gradius thankfully aren't that kind of game and can be enjoyed by a wider audience. While the scoring system in Otomedius may not necessitate taking extra risks/etc. to improve your score, that doesn't mean that trying for a better score isn't fun or a demonstration of the player's skill.[/QUOTE]

im sorry, but eat a dick eastx. Im not too familiar with shoot em ups, friggin sue me. I havent really played them since the old 16 bit days. I figured in the 20 years or so since then it has evolved a little bit for some entries into the series. At least some story elements or something added. The characters and visuals made me think that may have been the case. Excuse me for asking some god damn questions, christ. And i havent contributed anything? I believe im the one that brought up the screwy 2 player mode. Which Fizzy Bunny gracefully checked out for everyone. What the fuck have you contributed other than flaming and whining, and giving false information by wrongly claiming each character has their own ending?

anyway, i really think i should just wait on this one, if not pass entirely. As Rolling Skull mentioned Deathsmiles dropped fast (i have a few copies of that) so im wondering if this will too if im interested in it down the road. The only concern is the LE might actually be limited. Not sure if its worth getting now or hoping for it to drop

You're the one who kept suggesting the game would be censored when literally no one else thought it would be.

And my actual Otomedius experience is limited to Otomedius Gorgeous, which I own. The characters definitely have individual intros and endings in that game, hence my reasonable expectation that the sequel would have them too. I'm surprised that they have apparently been removed from Excellent, but it's also possible the other guy is mistaken.

[quote name='eastx'] IMO Kenshindono hasn't contributed anything but silliness to this thread so far, and all of sudden realizing Otomedius is a shooter pretty much takes the cake.[/QUOTE]

Added him to my ignore list long ago when he kept whining about why wouldn't somebody answer his question about what scene was removed from Final Fantasy IV complete edition. Kept posting "why won't anyone answer my question?" when a few minutes of internet searching would have found his own answer. Honestly I think he just posts stupid things to up his post count....

[quote name='Kenshindono']Yes, its full price, The MSRP at launch is 'full price'

And i know theyre relatively short but a review in OXM mentioned it took less than half an hour to beat it o_O Thats a bit TOO short. A bigger concern was that evidently if you play multiplayer and the 2nd player dies, thats it they cant continue, they get dumped. If the first player dies, the game just ends and dumps the 2nd player as well

tahts a HORRIBLE system. Please tell me its not that way for 2 player local?[/QUOTE]

How long do you want it to be? If it was 4 hours no one would 1cc it or go for scoring. It probably wouldn't be fun to play either.

[quote name='clickpow']How long do you want it to be? If it was 4 hours no one would 1cc it or go for scoring. It probably wouldn't be fun to play either.[/QUOTE]

You could imagine people asking for beverage service while playing the 4-hour long games ... which probably is not a bad idea. But having to run to the bathroom during the game session would be a problem, especially if you're playing in an actual arcade.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Thanks man, the sonic analogy works quite well. Just to be clear, player 2 can continue all they want then? I guess thats kinda ok, but really sucks that its game over if player 1 dies. Thats really not what i was looking for in a co-op game. I wanted a real 2 player mode. That sounds kinda... well, lame. Weird about the fact that you can play multilayer in single player mode though o_O And even stranger that you seem to indicate thats the mode that lets you get a lot of the weapons.

btw a little clarification on your earlier post. You said that each character doesn't have individual endings? Whats the point of beating it with them then, just the different artwork you mentioned? Thats another bummer for me
[/QUOTE]

Great! I figured it would be the best way to explain it. LOL! The way I see it, since it's basically a squadron and you have the first player be the leader while the other two are the winggirls and if you can't work as a team, much like in a realistic sense, you'd be toast. :lol:

Multiplayer and Score Attack mode seem to up the difficulty a bit, so Story mode sort of eases you into the mechanics while the real meat and potatoes would be going for score and/ or playing with friends. Story mode has little introductions in some stages before the action begins, so there IS something going on. But I try not to spoil anything until people actually play the game in question. ;)

And playing and beating the game with the different characters unlocks two other characters. Since IGA directed this game, like I said before, it's kinda like his DS Castlevania outtings where upon beating the game unlocks stuff like Julius Mode and what not. Same thing here only in a shmup format. The weapon cards figure into the replay factor in that you start the game out with weaker weapons and as you play, you'll come across upgrades so the next time you'll come in even stronger. Thus faster play time and possibly better scores!

[quote name='eastx']You're the one who kept suggesting the game would be censored when literally no one else thought it would be.

And my actual Otomedius experience is limited to Otomedius Gorgeous, which I own. The characters definitely have individual intros and endings in that game, hence my reasonable expectation that the sequel would have them too. I'm surprised that they have apparently been removed from Excellent, but it's also possible the other guy is mistaken.[/QUOTE]

Nope, no mistakes here. ;)
photo11z.jpg

The DLC for this game it seems will be a bit more substantial than Gorgeous's if what's on the disc is any indication. And that will definitely prolong the games playability (again much like say the recent Castlevania: Harmony of Despair)

Don't know why people would complain about the length of a shoot em up game. Like someone said, you don't know anything about the genre. If you feel 30 is too much for a shoot em up, then don't bother. Get it when it goes to 20 or less. I'm sure it will in a couple of months.

I take Gradius over any bullet hell game. I like my shoot em ups old school and traditional, never was a big fan of bullet hell, shoot hell, or little girl hell lol.

Sadly this comes out around the time of Gears 3, there will be no time for this to be played at all for me. I still need to cancel my reserve for this.

i was actually going to pre order this at amazon then i noticed gamestop has a vic viper dlc bonus for going through them.. i see no mention of this at amazon. Anyone know if this is really a gamestop exclusive or what? id rather order through them than gamestop if i can

The GameStop preorder bonus is just a palette-swapped alternate outfit for one of the characters, I hear - not very substantial. But it is perhaps something to take into account when deciding where to purchase.

Details:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997503-otomedius-excellent/59494810

Fizz Usagi, I never meant to imply that you didn't own the game. But anybody can remember things wrong, that was my earlier point. Sounds like you've got your info straight, anyway.

BTW, I'm getting a review copy of the game whenever those go out, so hopefully that means I get to play it a little early... (Reviewing it for Co-Optimus.)

[quote name='Fizz_Usagi']IGA directed this game[/QUOTE]Thank you for saving me $30. He ruined Castlevania, so I'd rather not experience his take on Gradius.

[quote name='eastx']Complaining about shoot-em-up length is a pretty big indicator that somebody doesn't know anything about the genre. IMO Kenshindono hasn't contributed anything but silliness to this thread so far, and all of sudden realizing Otomedius is a shooter pretty much takes the cake.[/QUOTE]

He does that often, like all the anti-dub and "I'M GONNA RETURN MY CATHERINE PREORDER SINCE ITS IN A ECO CASE HURRRRR" talk in threads that makes him seem like the kind of people I meet at anime conventions and hate. Just adding stupidity.

I preordered it off Amazon way back in April. Is this game really about to get delayed again? :whistle2:x

I still can't wait to get my hands on this anyway.

So is this being released on 9/20 or 11/1? I won't mind waiting a little longer. Might reserve Persona 2 on the PSP if that's the case since Persona 2 comes out on 9/20.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']So is this being released on 9/20 or 11/1? I won't mind waiting a little longer. Might reserve Persona 2 on the PSP if that's the case since Persona 2 comes out on 9/20.[/QUOTE]

I would tend to believe Amazon's 11/1 date given that they have been correct at least twice before that the game was being delayed long in advance of Gamestop updating their release date.

I love shmups and own many for the SNES, Sega Saturn (king of the older shmups), and 360 . . . but for some reason, I just can't get past the ugly, inappropriate backgrounds for Otomedius Excellent. I mean, usually shmups have alien world backgrounds, or space scenes, or underwater levels, or volcanoes and lava . . . but OE has these ridiculous, out of place backgrounds like a beach scene, an urban cityscape, or just clouds. Sure there are some more appropriate backgrounds in the game, but having these out-of-place type scenes just takes alot away from the whole shmup experience. I really think they could have developed more appropriate backgrounds for this game, and admittedly not all of them are out of place like the ones I've mentioned, but I just can't bring myself to order this game. It is nothing like the Raiden Fighters games, or Raiden IV, or any of the ton of great Cave shooters. And yes, I did love all the old Gradius games, but this doesn't fit with them at all.

Chimpmeister, Otomedius isn't a serious game. It's a sequel to Parodius and thus very silly. Not just the levels, but the enemies, who tend to be penguins and such. It's not meant to be taken as seriously as you're doing. But there is a good variety of levels - in Gorgeous, they redid the entire first level of Gradius but made it into a wintertime hot spring. And the last level had monitors that showed the history of a bunch of Konami games. If you turn your nose up at the looks, you're missing out on a fantastic game.

[quote name='eastx']Chimpmeister, Otomedius isn't a serious game. It's a sequel to Parodius and thus very silly. Not just the levels, but the enemies, who tend to be penguins and such. It's not meant to be taken as seriously as you're doing. But there is a good variety of levels - in Gorgeous, they redid the entire first level of Gradius but made it into a wintertime hot spring. And the last level had monitors that showed the history of a bunch of Konami games. If you turn your nose up at the looks, you're missing out on a fantastic game.[/QUOTE]

Spoilers!!!!! ;)

[quote name='d8onausa']Thank you for saving me $30. He ruined Castlevania, so I'd rather not experience his take on Gradius.[/QUOTE]

Iga has had more hits than misses with Castlevania. Judgment is the worst but that isn't even a proper Castlevania.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']He does that often, like all the anti-dub and "I'M GONNA RETURN MY CATHERINE PREORDER SINCE ITS IN A ECO CASE HURRRRR" talk in threads that makes him seem like the kind of people I meet at anime conventions and hate. Just adding stupidity.

I preordered it off Amazon way back in April. Is this game really about to get delayed again? :whistle2:x

I still can't wait to get my hands on this anyway.[/QUOTE]

you know what, screw you. I did cancel my catherine pre-order, and just went with the ps3 version. fuck them for using a cheap ass eco case on an expensive ass collectors edition. And i wasn't complaining about shoot em up length i was asking a question. As i said multiple times, i'm not familiar with the genre, i havent really played them since the 16 bit days. I figured they would have evolved a bit in that regard, i guess not.

And I wasn't just suggesting the game would be censored. I was asking if anyone had read or seen anything indicating it wouldn't be. Since all we had was gameplay footage that WAS censored. Pretty friggin logical question. People just kept saying 'it wont be censored... because i say so, so shut up' Not until Zonic505 posted a trailer that seemed to be like the original JP footage was there any indication it would be uncut.

Christ I didn't know Smup fans were such angry a-holes

[quote name='segasaturnsnk']Don't know why people would complain about the length of a shoot em up game. Like someone said, you don't know anything about the genre. If you feel 30 is too much for a shoot em up, then don't bother. Get it when it goes to 20 or less. I'm sure it will in a couple of months.

I take Gradius over any bullet hell game. I like my shoot em ups old school and traditional, never was a big fan of bullet hell, shoot hell, or little girl hell lol.

Sadly this comes out around the time of Gears 3, there will be no time for this to be played at all for me. I still need to cancel my reserve for this.[/QUOTE]

Jesus fucking christ people! Are you still talking about this like 2 pages later? I was asking a question! get off my ass about this. I asked if it was that short, was told yes, said meh sounds like it may not be for me. Especially after i brought up the screwy co-op mode and it was confirmed. That was it. Excuse me for being ignorant of the genre and asking a few questions about it, yeesh

Whatever. I just checked this thread because i was seeing if there were any updates about the game. Still moderately tempted to pre order it just for the special edition swag, but i think i may be better off just waiting for a price drop. It would suck if it actually becomes limited though. If it pops up in my goldbox again i may bite on it, not sure. The lack of individual endings and screwy co-op are the biggest drawbacks for me

I checked Amazon, and the predecessor to the game, or at least the
game from the same devs, is selling insanely high. I guess that they
under printed.

Hopefully, that one will appear on PSN.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Christ I didn't know Smup fans were such angry a-holes

Jesus fucking christ people! Are you still talking about this like 2 pages later? I was asking a question! get off my ass about this.[/QUOTE]It's probably best not to accuse someone of being an "angry a-hole" while you're in the process of flipping out.

Just about every shmup-releated thread seems to eventually tread into the tired "shooters are too short" debate at some point. You could have just as easily posted two pages ago about how you think puppies are cute and it would this thread would have still reached the point it is at now.

[quote name='eastx']Chimpmeister, Otomedius isn't a serious game. It's a sequel to Parodius and thus very silly. Not just the levels, but the enemies, who tend to be penguins and such. It's not meant to be taken as seriously as you're doing. But there is a good variety of levels - in Gorgeous, they redid the entire first level of Gradius but made it into a wintertime hot spring. And the last level had monitors that showed the history of a bunch of Konami games. If you turn your nose up at the looks, you're missing out on a fantastic game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification eastx. I didn't realize that this was a Parodius type shmup. I know the whimsical style of those games. I guess I was expecting something more like Gradius for this one. I'll keep my eye on it and see how previews look!

:)

On the downside, the game really is delayed and has no official release date. Even November 1 at Amazon is just a placeholder for now.

That's very disapponting. I was really looking forward to playing this next week. Looks like I may cancel and buy on release day instead.

[quote name='Thrinn']It's probably best not to accuse someone of being an "angry a-hole" while you're in the process of flipping out.
[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I'm tempted to cancel and get it later, but you know what, I really want this game and in it for the haul so my Amazon pre-order stays.

I guess my topic doesn't consist as a deal anymore outside of Amazon and a few others offering a standard version. That and the damn game keeps getting delayed, so mods can feel free to move the topic if they wish. Maybe to the 360 forum?

Before this is moved and I forget. Hopefully, the delays mean something good like extra content in the premium/limited edition like swag/stuff or more in-game content.

The talk that I have seen around the internets is that it is being held up due to Microsoft not finishing the approval process on it, and the game itself has been finished for months. If the rumors of MS instituting a rule of all games must have a minimum 50,000 copy first print run are true, then that may spell doom for this ever coming out :whistle2:(

[quote name='limelight022']Its region locked.[/QUOTE]

I am very aware of that. Previous poster was saying Gorgeous had an insane price, I was showing him otherwise.

[quote name='eastx']:)

On the downside, the game really is delayed and has no official release date. Even November 1 at Amazon is just a placeholder for now.[/QUOTE]AGAIN? Wasn't the original release date July? I swear, this is about the 3rd or 4th time it's been pushed back...

[quote name='Zonic505']AGAIN? Wasn't the original release date July? I swear, this is about the 3rd or 4th time it's been pushed back...[/QUOTE]
It might get pushed back again. I can't see it selling well releasing at the same time as do don pachi.

Yea I started to preorder it from Amazon AGAIN but said fuck it. I'll grab it whenever it really does get released they've teased me enough.

pushed back until the 8th now.... at least that's what gamestop shows now. !@#$@!!!! I'm starting to believe that this title wont be released until after MW3.

bread's done
Back