Owners of Fat PlayStation 3 ‘Other OS’ Class Action Settlement - Up to $65 Payment

postaboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
I also received a check for $10.07 after providing my PSN username. I think they just verify it was an active username when "other OS" was pulled.

Says a lot about people that they are willing to sell their morals for $10 and change. I hope you never have to take a polygraph test as part of your employment as they will ask you if you have ever perjured yourself.
This is some retarded ass shit. It is impressive that you got your arm that far up your ass to pull that ridiculous scenario out though. So, kudos! :applause:

So what's next on your crime spree? Stealing DUPLOS from daycare? Running a red light? Keep us posted.
Thinking about jaywalking tomorrow. Might livestream it.

All that just for about $10?!  I can understand if it was $100 or more. 

Here, I thought I was still poor.  I'm still rocking my PS3.

I remember a time when CAGs strove to be better than  FatWallet/Slickdeals.  Just found out FW got shut down, surprised I haven't seen a thread on that.

Now, I would to see what you all will do, if Microsoft had to pay out $11 because of Red Ring of Death.  

All that just for about $10?! I can understand if it was $100 or more.

Here, I thought I was still poor. I'm still rocking my PS3.

I remember a time when CAGs strove to be better than FatWallet/Slickdeals. Just found out FW got shut down, surprised I haven't seen a thread on that.

Now, I would to see what you all will do, if Microsoft had to pay out $11 because of Red Ring of Death.
I would have a large stack of checks from consoles that met their demise...

However, this is a feature that the system was advertised as having, that they removed with a patch. Legitimately (at least for me,) that feature got usage. I was not happy with that patch... but it was easier to give up Linux than to give up using my PS3 for everything but Linux.

Weren't they supposed to give out some shitty ps3 games or someshit? god what a fucking joke this turned out to be

I remember a time when CAGs strove to be better than FatWallet/Slickdeals. Just found out FW got shut down, surprised I haven't seen a thread on that.

what do you mean "all that"? i just had to give them my psn username. granted i thought we would get more money but it only took a minute or so of my time and i was eligible.

Ah, the airtight "I know you are but what am I?" defense. If you were Trump's lawyer during the Mueller investigation, he'd be looking forward to a long stay at Leavenworth Prison.
What? How does that even fit with what was being discussed? The original post I quoted spoke about being a liar and loose morals for $10. He is mad he didn't get it. The only page to sign up for the settlement had you sign up with your ps3 login.
But hey, nice knee jerk reaction.

I do wonder what happened to the people who picked the game option. Maybe they just got a check too? Some people on Reddit are getting two or three checks. Maybe they split our $65 up into 7 checks.

I know, it hardly seems worth the perjury a lot of you had to commit to qualify for the payment.

Says a lot about people that they are willing to sell their morals for $10 and change. I hope you never have to take a polygraph test as part of your employment as they will ask you if you have ever perjured yourself.

Little confused about these posts.

Perjury? Okay, I guess if someone went out of their way to sign up without qualifying, sure? (Doesn't affect me, as I did qualify.)

It was actually pretty easy to qualify for this settlement:

The settlement Class covers U.S. persons who, between Nov. 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010, purchased a Fat PlayStation 3 in the United States from an authorized retailer and for personal or household use, and who either used the Other OS functionality, knew about that functionality, or “contends or believes that he or she lost value or desired functionality or was otherwise injured as a consequence of Firmware Update 3.21 and/or the disablement of Other OS functionality in the Fat PS3.”

And the "all that for just about $10" soapbox. I don't get it. This settlement was already made. The amount of the payout was determined. *Someone* was getting the money. Why would people that qualify *not* take the five or so minutes to fill in the information to get a payment? It was literarlly one form and you had to provide a serial number or PSN ID. I'm not sure what part of that constitutes being "better than" some other websites.

Was this lawsuit stupid? Yes, absolutely. However, I don't think any CAGs in here were the ones to file the suit. But I'm failing to see the problem with qualifying people claiming a cut of the payout.

I received my $10.xx check in the mail.   nice to get some money; because i really missed the option to install linux on my ps3.    ; )

I received my $10.xx check in the mail. nice to get some money; because i really missed the option to install linux on my ps3.
Me too, it was fun to play with. However, it was never a viable option to play Linux-based games or do anything of substance because the Linux kernel never had access to the full GPU. Maybe someone out there with l33t haxxing skillz found a way to unlock the GPU and that's why they took the option away?

Me too, it was fun to play with. However, it was never a viable option to play Linux-based games or do anything of substance
I used it, along with Nvidia and ATI PC cards, for a class in grad school as a tool to learn about gpgpu programming, so there definitely were real uses for it. Losing the PS3 for this purpose wasn't too bad though considering what a bitch it was to program for. Much better to learn using Nvidia cards (and ATI was ok).

Maybe someone out there with l33t haxxing skillz ... and that's why they took the option away?
tenor.gif

I do wonder what happened to the people who picked the game option. Maybe they just got a check too? Some people on Reddit are getting two or three checks. Maybe they split our $65 up into 7 checks.
Link to relevant the please?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

what do you mean "all that"? i just had to give them my psn username. granted i thought we would get more money but it only took a minute or so of my time and i was eligible.
The whole morality of just getting about $10, whether or not if you actually qualify for the class action lawsuit. The act of crossing the line of lying on a legal document, being compared to unenforceable laws. In my opinion, $10 is not worth that kind of effort/act.

The whole morality of just getting about $10, whether or not if you actually qualify for the class action lawsuit. The act of crossing the line of lying on a legal document, being compared to unenforceable laws. In my opinion, $10 is not worth that kind of effort/act.
The idea that anybody claiming $10 is somehow ruining this world is what's silly. Take the wool off of your eyes and figure out who your real enemies are...because they're swindling more than the entirety of this settlement on a regular basis.

Got my check today, thanks for the $10.07 Sony. That will go nicely with my $10 gift card from Target to cover one of my BF purchase. 

so even though i qualify, my participation is immoral. i bought a 20gb model during launch and had an active psn id. filing a claim took me less than 90 seconds.

He’s probably not a native English speaker or he’s got things badly muddled things up.

The class was people that either intended to install an alt operating system in their PS3, knew about the feature, or perceive it as a loss of value in the system when that feature was removed. Since it inarguably WAS a loss of value (even if you don’t care about Linux, enough people do that removing that feature objectively makes your machine less valuable) the class includes everyone that a) bought a PS3 during the specified timeframe and b) is capable of basic rational thought.

The only way anyone is committing fraud is if they never bought the machine they’re making a claim on at all (current ownership isn’t required).

He’s probably not a native English speaker or he’s got things badly muddled things up.

The class was people that either intended to install an alt operating system in their PS3, knew about the feature, or perceive it as a loss of value in the system when that feature was removed. Since it inarguably WAS a loss of value (even if you don’t care about Linux, enough people do that removing that feature objectively makes your machine less valuable) the class includes everyone that a) bought a PS3 during the specified timeframe and b) is capable of basic rational thought.

The only way anyone is committing fraud is if they never bought the machine they’re making a claim on at all (current ownership isn’t required).
As long as you knew about the feature, you qualified. Everyone knew about it. People whining about this are likely just mad they couldn't participate.

I like how as a final f-u, Sony sent the check in a format that my mobile deposit app won’t read. Thanks for making me go to the bank for $10.

I like how as a final f-u, Sony sent the check in a format that my mobile deposit app won’t read. Thanks for making me go to the bank for $10.
I feel your pain; pretty sure mine was sent to my previous address, which means it will eventually be forwarded here but I've had bad experience with checks like those. Mobile app won't read it and my bank only has ATM's here, which means to deposit I'll have to mail it, so there goes $.71 from it. FML.

All we really did was help some asshole lawyers (department of redundancy department) get a decent windfall.

Bumping this thread again.

I got another check in the mail today: $3.02. Guess they had more money to divvy up?

Well, I guess that settles it.
I did all the fors and questionnaires but I guess SOMEONE decided that I did not qualify in somebody's mind.

Gonna check my mailbox in 15 minute intervals all day today.  I can't wait for my extra check.  

bread's done
Back