P3P for PSP - Persona 3 Portable headed to the US July 2010

Just got mine today, didn't expect it so soon. Box within a box....oh well, just gotta find my psp and maybe wear the hat that came with the game.

The copy I preordered late last week from GS.com arrived today, surprisingly with the hat...oddly, both in the same envelope. :whistle2:k
Says the hat is "backordered" on my order status. Weird.
I'm really pumped for this game. Never played a Persona game before and really looking forward to the experience. Getting the game for $31.49 after $10 off code doesn't hurt either. :D
I'm really glad I preordered this game. GSs/BBs within 100 miles still do not show this as in-stock.

This is my first "Megami Tensei" / "Persona" game and I am loving it so far. Too bad they couldn't include the anime cutscenes or the expanded epilogue from the special edition of the PS2 version.

So what exactly should be my strategy when going into Tartarus? Should I just do as many floors as I can in one night until my party members get tired or should I do a certain amount each night? I thought I read that there was only so much of the dungeon that was open to go through at a time.

Also, when do I get the compendium? I've gone in a few times the first time I've been given a chance to go into Tartarus, but I don't see an option for that yet.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So what exactly should be my strategy when going into Tartarus? Should I just do as many floors as I can in one night until my party members get tired or should I do a certain amount each night? I thought I read that there was only so much of the dungeon that was open to go through at a time.

Also, when do I get the compendium? I've gone in a few times the first time I've been given a chance to go into Tartarus, but I don't see an option for that yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there's only so much of the dungeon that's open and it expands after each full moon cycle. It's best to clear as much dungeon as you can in one night. You'll want to clear all the missions you get from Elizabeth before their deadline passes. The compendium should become available sometime around golden week, I think. You'll get a call from Elizabeth.

Anyone playing on maniac? How hard is it? I was thinking about picking it but I didn't like the idea that my stats/compendium won't transfer over to my next play-through. That was my favorite part of FES. It helps reduce some of the tedium.

Thanks. Managed to get through the first block of floors. Is there any reason to go back before the next block is opened other than just to grind some more?

Once you're done with a block there's no reason to go back unless you want to grind or pick up money/items/persona's. There might be an exception or two, like if you haven't completed a mission that takes place on a lower block. With the jobs in the game now it's easier to make money, so that's one less reason to grind.

Okay. Yukari was saying that she wanted to go back in the next night and I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something that I was missing.

The characters always say they want to go back in. Once you get as far as you can go, you're generally strong enough to beat the next full moon boss, so going back in is a waste of time, because if you wait for the next block to open up the exp is much better.

Still waiting for mine to ship, sadly around where I live, there are not many electronic stores around. It's sad to say there's really only Walmart around....

It's kinda sad that I've already bought this and am buying a PSP to play it with despite owning and having played P3 AND P3: FES, but I don't know what the word 'shame' means.

Now I really hope they give P4 the same treatment.

[quote name='Paprikacha']It's kinda sad that I've already bought this and am buying a PSP to play it with despite owning and having played P3 AND P3: FES, but I don't know what the word 'shame' means.

Now I really hope they give P4 the same treatment.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same camp as you are. I burned myself out on P3 for PS2 and I never got the real ending. I also bought FES but never played it.

I ordered this for the hat.:drool:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So what exactly should be my strategy when going into Tartarus? Should I just do as many floors as I can in one night until my party members get tired or should I do a certain amount each night? I thought I read that there was only so much of the dungeon that was open to go through at a time.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='doodofdoods']Once you're done with a block there's no reason to go back unless you want to grind or pick up money/items/persona's. There might be an exception or two, like if you haven't completed a mission that takes place on a lower block. With the jobs in the game now it's easier to make money, so that's one less reason to grind.[/QUOTE]

I just want to add that it may be more important to work on your social links instead of just grinding in Tartarus. You should be able to do a block in 2-3 trips; then your time is better spent improving social links which will allow you to fuse better personas.

tempted to buy it but I feel this will come down in price very quickly...

could do a KEEP IT NOW FOR 30 via gamefly but dont know if its worth it

ANYONE Know these answers

1... how long of a basic walkthough
2... any replay vaule
3. HI :)

thanks

[quote name='slidecage']tempted to buy it but I feel this will come down in price very quickly...

could do a KEEP IT NOW FOR 30 via gamefly but dont know if its worth it

ANYONE Know these answers

1... how long of a basic walkthough
2... any replay vaule
3. HI :)

thanks[/QUOTE]

1.60-100 hours
2.multiple endings for the male and female protagonist.
3.Yo

OOOOOO I remember what my 3rd question was

If i play Persona 3 before perona 1 will it destory persona 1 for me (since i heard persona 1 for the psp is very bad compair to persona 3)

now with Gamestop having this game for 32 bucks not really sure if i want to keep it off gamefly..

Was the hat in every psp box or just a few

[quote name='slidecage']OOOOOO I remember what my 3rd question was

If i play Persona 3 before perona 1 will it destory persona 1 for me (since i heard persona 1 for the psp is very bad compair to persona 3)

[/QUOTE]

The original PS1 Persona maybe, but the PSP Persona made a lot of changes to be more like Persona 3. It is probably better to go from P1 to P3 since P3 is still a better game.

[quote name='62t']The original PS1 Persona maybe, but the PSP Persona made a lot of changes to be more like Persona 3. It is probably better to go from P1 to P3 since P3 is still a better game.[/QUOTE]

do you know if every PSP copy came with the hat or just pre orders

i see amazon still has the hat but doesnt say anything about iton the gamestop screen

I might just return the game to gamefly tomorrow open up my persona 1 for the psp and hopefully by the time i beat that persona 3 will be around 20

wouldnt been bad for 30 if nothing came out around it but just picked up dragon quest 9 and getting ys seven next
month

now another question

how long will persona 1 for the psp last me and any replay on that game :)

Beginner Mode is just what I wanted out of this game!

I'm on block 11 (nonstop), and my main is still at the "Great" status.

It also helps that the save clock can now completely heal you by paying it, and I love how I keep finding chewing souls, and medicines in suitcases. This just made this game just right for me since I can just make one trip to Tartarus per full moon period, and give me a more open schedule for social links

I really recommend this version to anyone slightly interested in this game.

i decided to return it to gamefly...

almost pulled the trigger and got it for 32 buck i can buy it off gamestop for 32 using one of my 10 off coupons i will never use

that and i think i really should play Persona 1 first and still have Hexyz Force i need to play

Slightly off-topic:
I was checking out a local Gamestop's used stuff when I stumbled upon an empty box of the Collector's Edition of Persona 1 :psp: . It's labeled $19.99. I show the clerk the box and ask if they have it in stock. Lo and behold he pulls a sealed copy from a drawer! I was in awe...over a year old and still sealed in a Gamestop?! The guy even showed me the contents of the display box; the contents sealed together and stowed in the same drawer.
Sorry to stray OT. I thought some of you might be interested in this, especially those new to Persona, like me, and are interested in trying the other PSP title.

[quote name='Paprikacha']It's kinda sad that I've already bought this and am buying a PSP to play it with despite owning and having played P3 AND P3: FES, but I don't know what the word 'shame' means.

Now I really hope they give P4 the same treatment.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing, minus owning the original P3.

Am I the only one not feeling it? Seems like FES is more enjoyable with the ability to move outside of dungeon.

Personally I'm hooked. I didn't think I would be enjoying playing as the female MC this much, but I'm addicted. Honestly, just using the curser to move around is alot easier to me, and I'm finding the game is pacing much faster this time around.

I don't mind using the curser to move, but missing animated cutscenes and animated sprites during social interactions is a huge problem. It is nice that they fixed some of the battle mechanics but I won't call this the complete experience.

I want to start this game but I feel paralyzed over the choice between the male and female main character. I've already played about 25 hours of FES, so I want to choose the female MC for variety and because if I'm going to be staring at somebody's butt for 80 hours, it may as well be cute girl... but I also don't want to lose the ability to go on dates with Yukari and Elizabeth. What to do, what to do.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I want to start this game but I feel paralyzed over the choice between the male and female main character. I've already played about 25 hours of FES, so I want to choose the female MC for variety and because if I'm going to be staring at somebody's butt for 80 hours, it may as well be cute girl... but I also don't want to lose the ability to go on dates with Yukari and Elizabeth. What to do, what to do.[/QUOTE]

you are not going to be staring at anyone's but since they took out on screen movement unless you're inside tartarus. If you are inside tartarus you have your whole party.

[quote name='doodofdoods']You can still date Elizabeth as a girl. Scissorz![/QUOTE]
Deal = sealed. Elizabeth dates were pretty much my favorite part of the game when I played FES. I thought that she was replaced with a male assistant if you played as the girl?

This game is a ton of fun, I've only played a bit so far but the only thing I could see going wrong is Tartarus becoming a bit repetitive. Very pleased with the VAs as well -- surprised I missed this franchise on the PS2.

Also had no idea Amazon still had Junpei hats so it was a nice surprise getting the package this morning.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Thinking of getting this but I don't want to pay $40 for a game I've essentially bought twice already....[/QUOTE]

Did you enjoy what you played of the original? If you did, and you are planning on playing it through the female's perspective than I would highly suggest picking it up. The difference, though not dramatic, really make an impact on the game. Plus the new Social Links are cool. I know I've said this like a hundred times on this site already, but I can't put this game down, I'm having so much fun with it.

Also, to slidecage, the story is going to be the same, it's the social links that are going to be different, and a few things that are in the male's story will be missing from the female's and vice versa. The ending is essentially going to be the same though.

It was in my Gold Box yesterday and I gave in. It'll be here tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how the game holds up since I haven't played the main quest since the original (only played The Answer in Fes).

one of the dialogue choices for when you're going to investigate the school ghost at port island station is "adventure time!" Can't remember if that was there before or if it's a newly added reference to the awesome show on CN.

Been playing this this weekend. Definitely enjoying it a lot. I love the female side of it too (even the new music). It's been 3 years since the original came out so it still feels familiar yet also fresh. This game is so much better to me than 4 it's a joke.

Just wanted to say that I've made more progress and this game and it has to be the best version of P3 hands down. The improvements made make for a much smoother, enjoyable experience. I had my doubts about the triple dip but this is the definitive version for sure (except for people who miss the cutscenes being played out with the 3D models and not just talking 2D portraits; however, this makes any talking scenes go by MUCH faster and really balances the talking vs. dungeoning ratio).

Yeah this has to be one of the best PSP games ever, it's my first Persona and the game is extremely entertaining at all times, largely thanks to how painless everything is to do. Playing on hard and really enjoying the challenge as well.

I'll have to ride the bus a lot next semester from my new apartment but thanks to P3P I probably won't mind the 10-15 minute rides =D

Ok, I'm extremely late to the party. I am getting my first PSP next week, and I'm interested in getting some other games for it. I never played a Persona game (never owned a PlayStation before the PS3), so I have almost no idea about these games (except for gametrailers and I know they're wildly popular).

So, my question is, should I grab Persona or Persona 3 Portable? I like the look and feel of P3P, but is there some reason why I would want to play through the first one before getting P3P?

[quote name='pete5883']P3P is approximately 100 times better than Persona 1, so skip 1.[/QUOTE]

So am I to assume that you never even played 1 or you just played 1 on PSone from this post:

[quote name='pete5883']You should probably get the tissues now. I didn't play P1P, but if the music is closer to P3 than P1, then I'm all for it.[/QUOTE]

The PSP version of 1 is much better than the original PSone version. The original is basically unplayable today. P3P is still a better game though.

Ok, thanks everyone. I think I'll go for P3P. Maybe I'll buy Persona if it's on PSN download for a ridiculously low price. I wonder if you can still get that hat from Amazon. I just went to the site earlier this morning and it said you can still get that baseball cap (while supplies last). Certainly they don't have any more, do they?

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, thanks everyone. I think I'll go for P3P. Maybe I'll buy Persona if it's on PSN download for a ridiculously low price. I wonder if you can still get that hat from Amazon. I just went to the site earlier this morning and it said you can still get that baseball cap (while supplies last). Certainly they don't have any more, do they?[/QUOTE]

They very well might. I ordered mine about a month after it came out and I still got it. Doesn't hurt to order it there.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So am I to assume that you never even played 1 or you just played 1 on PSone from this post:

The PSP version of 1 is much better than the original PSone version. The original is basically unplayable today. P3P is still a better game though.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've only played the PS1 version, but I figure you can't shine shit.

bread's done
Back