Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday available for pre-order

[quote name='Buuhan1']So, did anyone elses motivation for this game kinda die out? Don't get me wrong, I still wanna play it, but as someone who's not crazy about the PSP and hearing that if they had the time the developers would have made it a PS3 game, I just kinda got hung up on what could've been. I'm a console gamer not a handheld gamer, afterall.

I'm a huge supporter of physical media... but I don't think I'm gonna get the UMD for this, or any future PSP games set for PSN, not since discovering the joys of gamesharing.[/QUOTE]

The last thing you want a handheld game to be is something people think about as "oh, it's good for a handheld game." A lot of PSP games fall into that trap, creating a game that's impressive given the hardware, but completely outdated in terms of everything on consoles. If PE3 is created with a design that is tailored to the PSP, instead of just trying mimic a console design in a half-assed manner, then I think it will be worth getting.

Crisis Core is a good example of a game that's great on its own merits, and not just a watered down version of a console game. Right now PE3 doesn't look absolutely convincing, but I'm always interested to see what kind of experiments Square Enix whips up -- plus it's only $30.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The last thing you want a handheld game to be is something people think about as "oh, it's good for a handheld game." A lot of PSP games fall into that trap, creating a game that's impressive given the hardware, but completely outdated in terms of everything on consoles. If PE3 is created with a design that is tailored to the PSP, instead of just trying mimic a console design in a half-assed manner, then I think it will be worth getting.

Crisis Core is a good example of a game that's great on its own merits, and not just a watered down version of a console game. Right now PE3 doesn't look absolutely convincing, but I'm always interested to see what kind of experiments Square Enix whips up -- plus it's only $30.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on the whole "good for a handheld" thing. Alot of PSP games, especially, trip that hurdle. Sure, games like God of War: CoO and Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters were good, but you couldn't quite help but feel that they completely bare-bones compared to their console-based serieses. I guess console and handheld games are held to different standards.

Is anyone interested in doing a Gameshare group for the game via PSN? With the NGP not being backwards compatible and gamesharing making it $6 instead of $30 I think that's the route I'm gonna take.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Is anyone interested in doing a Gameshare group for the game via PSN? With the NGP not being backwards compatible and gamesharing making it $6 instead of $30 I think that's the route I'm gonna take.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be hard since I believe only one account can be activated at a tame when "gamesharing" something on the PSP? Or am I wrong?

[quote name='Josh5890']Wouldn't that be hard since I believe only one account can be activated at a tame when "gamesharing" something on the PSP? Or am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Gamesharing on PSP is not worth the hassle.

Still looks interesting, not that I expect it to be amazing -- it's just I don't find game reviews to be very reliable these days. An 8.5 is a super high score and then you have trash reviews else where. These people don't seem to understand something, for better or worse -- which makes the game even more appealing to me =p

Found this at my local Target on Friday. Yay for some stores not sticking to street dates lol. Came with a code for an Aya Brea costume for Lightning in Dissidia duodecim. Unexpected surprise but welcome.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']There is no indication that the reviewer played the first 2 games. Something tells me that the experience is worse if you played the first 2, like with the RPGamer/Fan reviews, since they fucked up Aya Brea's character.[/QUOTE]
I'm in a gamesharing group that's getting PE1 and 2, so does that mean I should play 3rdBday BEFORE I play the first two to better enjoy myself?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Still looks interesting, not that I expect it to be amazing -- it's just I don't find game reviews to be very reliable these days. An 8.5 is a super high score and then you have trash reviews else where. These people don't seem to understand something, for better or worse -- which makes the game even more appealing to me =p[/QUOTE]
Weird. It's as if different people could have different opinions!

Honestly, I think everyone are just being whiny little bitches. I haven't heard a single thing about the gameplay and all the fan discussion, as well as reviews, simply focus on the crappy soap opera storyline and how much they 'disgraced" the Aya Brea character. How bout you talk about the gameplay in the game for a change instead of getting pissy about the character? This is mirroring the whole Samus Other M bullshit.

And honestly, if the character had lost her memory, I have no problem about her changing of character. Now, if she regains her memory sometime later and still acts like a ditz, then I can understand the outrage. Otherwise I think people just aren't "getting it".

This was targeted at the general fanbase, no one here specifically.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Honestly, I think everyone are just being whiny little bitches. I haven't heard a single thing about the gameplay and all the fan discussion, as well as reviews, simply focus on the crappy soap opera storyline and how much they 'disgraced" the Aya Brea character. How bout you talk about the gameplay in the game for a change instead of getting pissy about the character? This is mirroring the whole Samus Other M bullshit.

And honestly, if the character had lost her memory, I have no problem about her changing of character. Now, if she regains her memory sometime later and still acts like a ditz, then I can understand the outrage. Otherwise I think people just aren't "getting it".

This was targeted at the general fanbase, no one here specifically.[/QUOTE]
From what I've heard, the gameplay is decent but the camera basically ruins it.

Is the Dissidia outfit going for crazy monies on EBay or is it not worth selling and just redeeming since it's in all copies of the game?

I bought the digital version that didn't come with a manual (surprise -- it's not like the PSP's firmware supports that or anything). Is anyone able to explain the DNA system to me? I see that I can combine/evolve some, but I don't see the big picture.

anyone who bought the game in physical form not want their lightning dlc outfit code? Im stuck with a pspgo so no bonus costume for me :(

I was hoping purchasing it on psn would give me an extra dlc file just like the prologus demo gave the aerith assist dlc, but this was not the case....

In Chapter 2, where are the Twisted blowing the poison clouds? The only enemies I can find are the aerial guys that keep spawning because I'm not killing the poison dudes.

[quote name='pete5883']False.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I am rather surprised that Square actually changed the criteria. They are so half-assed these days.

Played the game for 2 hours and now I fully understand where all the hate at Aya is coming from. I've never even played the first 2 games to compare and even I can tell how sissy she is here. This however is largely due to her voice actress, I can't believe this is the same woman who voiced Miranda in Mass Effect 2. It's like the voice director told her "Sound as weak and insecure as you can... oh, and your Mom died. START."

Also, when you press X to examine things while at HQ she lets out a series of grunts which are uncomfortably erotic.

BUUUUUUT---

The gameplay is quite good. However the game is also quite hard. They increased the difficulty during its localization so that Japan's Hard mode is our Normal mode. I'm playing on Easy and still early in the game and I've died quite a bit. Easy definitely feels like a Normal mode. They should have just left difficulty alone.

This has been one of my favorite series for a long time. on the fence about picking it up as I hardly play my PSP. Will probably wait for a drop.

[quote name='buuhan1']played the game for 2 hours and now i fully understand where all the hate at aya is coming from. I've never even played the first 2 games to compare and even i can tell how sissy she is here. This however is largely due to her voice actress, i can't believe this is the same woman who voiced miranda in mass effect 2. It's like the voice director told her "sound as weak and insecure as you can... Oh, and your mom died. Start."

also, when you press x to examine things while at hq she lets out a series of grunts which are uncomfortably erotic.
[/quote]

Loving the game but story makes no sense. So far i'm on chapter 3 and have +25 skill to finding better quality chips, and have a skill that revives me instantly when i die so its working pretty well.

So, I just beat the game.

What in the name of Lucifer's unholy balls was the plot about? I don't get it at all. Why did a bunch of police officers randomly gun down a wedding? Who the hell was Hyde and why was he at the wedding?

At least the major character shift in Aya makes sense, since you don't play as her at all.

And why the crap did you have to shoot Aya?

This plot is more like a net with how many holes there are.

[quote name='Logain8955']So, I just beat the game.

What in the name of Lucifer's unholy balls was the plot about? I don't get it at all. Why did a bunch of police officers randomly gun down a wedding? Who the hell was Hyde and why was he at the wedding?

At least the major character shift in Aya makes sense, since you don't play as her at all.

And why the crap did you have to shoot Aya?

This plot is more like a net with how many holes there are.
[/QUOTE]

How long did it take you?

[quote name='Gamehead']How long did it take you?[/QUOTE]

10 hours, 43 minutes, 25 seconds according to my round complete save.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Played the game for 2 hours and now I fully understand where all the hate at Aya is coming from. I've never even played the first 2 games to compare and even I can tell how sissy she is here. This however is largely due to her voice actress, I can't believe this is the same woman who voiced Miranda in Mass Effect 2. It's like the voice director told her "Sound as weak and insecure as you can... oh, and your Mom died. START."

Also, when you press X to examine things while at HQ she lets out a series of grunts which are uncomfortably erotic.

BUUUUUUT---

The gameplay is quite good. However the game is also quite hard. They increased the difficulty during its localization so that Japan's Hard mode is our Normal mode. I'm playing on Easy and still early in the game and I've died quite a bit. Easy definitely feels like a Normal mode. They should have just left difficulty alone.[/QUOTE]

All you really need to know is in PE 1, Aya Brea was a bad-ass NYPD cop who was respected and admired by all (mostly male) her peers. It was very believable that she was a cop because she was a professional.

I've noticed that all the reviews written for this game by women have pretty much universally panned this game. Yikes. I'm still interested, but I'll wait for a price drop.

I've played the first couple of missions so far and I'm enjoying the gameplay. I played Parasite Eve back in the day but I guess I'm not super attached to the character, so it's not bothering me too much that they changed her personality or are playing up the fan service or whatever.

I do agree that the game is kind of hard. Just fighting the normal enemies is fine, but the bosses or special encounters cause me to die several times, and usually when I succeed I don't even know what I did differently.

[quote name='DQT']All you really need to know is in PE 1, Aya Brea was a bad-ass NYPD cop who was respected and admired by all (mostly male) her peers. It was very believable that she was a cop because she was a professional.

I've noticed that all the reviews written for this game by women have pretty much universally panned this game. Yikes. I'm still interested, but I'll wait for a price drop.[/QUOTE]

Without being too spoilery, let me just say that the change is one of the (very) few plot points that make sense.

The gameplay was well worth it, even if I didn't sell the costume code for 25 bucks. I enjoyed the game a lot, just don't expect a well written story.

I know very little of the backstory but am finding the overall gameplay excellent. It's also probably one of the best-looking, well produced games I've played on the PSP.

[quote name='MSUHitman']In Chapter 2, where are the Twisted blowing the poison clouds? The only enemies I can find are the aerial guys that keep spawning because I'm not killing the poison dudes.[/QUOTE]
If you're where I think you are:
...look up from where you start off. Use the sniper rifle to shoot the very high up red-glowing flying enemy. Then you'll auto overdive on the ground. Once that's done, the game will put you back in your original position on the rooftop. Next, overdive into the officer across from you on top of the building (overdiving is the only way to get to the roof of this building, so protect that guy as much as you can). You'll be able to shoot the next 2 red glowing enemies from that position. I think there was one more red glowing flying twisted that you'll have to hit from your original position. As you take then out the poison gas will finally dissipate. When in doubt just look up. The twisted you need to take out are flying higher than the other flying enemies.
I'm going from memory so hopefully that's helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']In Chapter 2, where are the Twisted blowing the poison clouds? The only enemies I can find are the aerial guys that keep spawning because I'm not killing the poison dudes.[/QUOTE]
If you're where I think you are:
...look up from where you start off. Use the sniper rifle to shoot the very high up red-glowing flying enemy. Then you'll auto overdive on the ground. Once that's done, the game will put you back in your original position on the rooftop. Next, overdive into the officer across from you on top of the building (overdiving is the only way to get to the roof of this building, so protect that guy as much as you can). You'll be able to shoot the next 2 red glowing enemies from that position. I think there was one more red glowing flying twisted that you'll have to hit from your original position. As you take then out the poison gas will finally dissipate. When in doubt just look up. They twisted you need to take out are flying higher than the other flying enemies.
I'm going from memory so hopefully that's helpful.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']How difficult is "normal"? I'm pretty terrible at shooters. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Quite. Play on Easy the first time through to build up your weapon levels and OE setup.

The American normal is the japanese hard mode.

[quote name='62t']So how important is it to play PE2? I only played the first game[/QUOTE]

I don't think it matters that much. I have only played the first one also. I am sure there may be some references to parts of the previous games, but I don't think it is anything too significant.

[quote name='Logain8955']Quite. Play on Easy the first time through to build up your weapon levels and OE setup.

The American normal is the japanese hard mode.[/QUOTE]I think I will switch to easy. I died a couple of time in the tutorial :lol:

I hate it when games don't have a legitimate easy/casual mode. Sometimes I'm looking for a challenge, and sometimes I just want to unwind and not worry about dying a ton. There's no reason games can't accommodate both.

bread's done
Back