Patapon $20 In stores NOW!

finally fired it up... awesome game

initially i was like, meh this is ok, but the first time i hit fever and started seriously murkin fools i was hooked

Just got back from picking this up at Best Buy. I waited in line for 15 minutes to get my in-store pickup order because the guy in front of me was buying about 10 PSPs. (WTF?) It would have been faster to just grab a new copy off the shelf and check out. Something is seriously wrong with that setup.

Also I hate you, PSP Man.

I just got back from Circuit fucking City, after trying to get a copy of Patapon and Professor Layton. I looked in their case and didn't see Patapon, so I asked the customer service guy if they had it. He was, mind you, the only person I could see that would be checking people out (nobody at the registers). After waiting for a few people to do returns, he looked it up on the computer for me, and it told him they had a copy. He checked the back room but came back empty-handed. Then he told me that he would check the case, after he rung up the customers waiting behind me. He rung up fucking three people before checking for me, only to come back empty-handed again! Now I waited fifteen minutes, and I got no Patapon! I'm going to put in an order as soon as they open up for an in-store pickup, hoping that they don't have it by 24 minutes after opening. If their computer shows that they have one, I think the website will also show that. It worked with my Zune, only they gave me another guy's in-store pickup, ruining my chance at the 24 dollar gift card!

Hopefully I'll have this tomorrow!

EDIT : Never mind. Not available for pickup anywhere, apparently. I hate CC.

[quote name='metaly']Just got back from picking this up at Best Buy. I waited in line for 15 minutes to get my in-store pickup order because the guy in front of me was buying about 10 PSPs. (WTF?) It would have been faster to just grab a new copy off the shelf and check out. Something is seriously wrong with that setup.

Also I hate you, PSP Man.[/quote]

Don't they have a $10 off promise if you have to wait more than a minute for an internet pickup?

[quote name='bmachine']Don't they have a $10 off promise if you have to wait more than a minute for an internet pickup?[/quote]

They do, but they measure the time between the employee keying in your order number and handing you your stuff, so it's basically impossible to cash in on that because everything's right behind the counter. Next time I'll bring some tranquilizer darts.

I need a list of what materials make which Patapon.

And I can't get it to freaking rain.
I'm assuming it's the last part of the miracle chant that I can't get right for some reason.
the ponponponponponponpon one where it's all fast.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

That's why I kept messing up.
There'a a Pata in the Pon chant..................... damnit.

And now I just learned how to "delete" a soldier. Nice, wanted to upgrade.

[quote name='dallow']OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

[/quote]

I was just going to say there is a Pata in the final one.

Although, I didn't notice that at first either. I was still able to pull it off just hitting the Pon button.

Okay, I cannot figure out the Fever thing. I saw posts recommending headphones, but those didn't make anything clear about what I'm supposed to be doing differently from the normal drumming.

And now I just learned how to "delete" a soldier. Nice, wanted to upgrade.[/quote]

I just restarted my game cos I couldn't figure out how to get the upgraded soldiers. Luckily I was only 4 hours in.

It makes me sad retiring a soldier though... They die. :hot:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Okay, I cannot figure out the Fever thing. I saw posts recommending headphones, but those didn't make anything clear about what I'm supposed to be doing differently from the normal drumming.[/quote]When they hit fever, there's like two extra seconds more than normal when you start drumming.

Look for when the flashing border flashes the bright green.

I can't get past the Level 3 T-Rex yet.

Don't know if you get something special for beating all of them.
Bet you do though.

[quote name='dallow']When they hit fever, there's like two extra seconds more than normal when you start drumming.

Look for when the flashing border flashes the bright green.[/quote]
So I have to drum slower than normal?

There'a a Pata in the Pon chant..................... damnit.[/quote]

If it makes you feel any better, I kept trying to use the don drum for the pons and didn't have the slightest idea why I kept failing.

Around the third or fourth time I was like "...Oh."

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So I have to drum slower than normal?[/quote]
Nah, it'll be like normal.

Imagine this

Combo 8 - X.X.X.X break

Combo 9 - X.X.X.X break(+ about 2 secs while it goes into fever mode, watch for flashing green border)

Fever - X.X.X.X break

Fever 2 - X.X.X.X break

like normal.

[quote name='dallow']I can't get past the Level 3 T-Rex yet.

Bet you do though.[/quote]

I was on the Patapon board on Gamespot. Some guy on there claimed he was on level 26 for some boss. I have no idea if this is true, but I’m wondering if there is ever an end to the levels of bosses.

I’m on level 5 for the first T-Rex and level 3 of the red T-Rex. I beat the worm boss last night.

[quote name='dallow']I can't get past the Level 3 T-Rex yet.

Bet you do though.[/QUOTE]

The game mentioned something along the lines of "Collect meat and then fight the t-rex to strengthen your army."

Not those exact words but...there must be SOME benefit to re-fighting the trexes.

I don't think there's any benefit other than higher item drops for higher level bosses.

I just started the game last night and my next mission is... the T-Rex. Wtf? I already beat him in the demo, so I dunno what to do.

[quote name='Rocko']I don't think there's any benefit other than higher item drops for higher level bosses.

I just started the game last night and my next mission is... the T-Rex. Wtf? I already beat him in the demo, so I dunno what to do.[/QUOTE]

Beat him. :lol:

[quote name='Rocko']I don't think there's any benefit other than higher item drops for higher level bosses.

I just started the game last night and my next mission is... the T-Rex. Wtf? I already beat him in the demo, so I dunno what to do.[/quote]

That happened because the game didn't really save after you beat him, as though you saved before facing him. You still have everything (the great spear of protection) though.

Has anyone mastered getting Fever time early? I've gotten it to happen several times now but I don't feel/hear the difference in my timing.

2nd Question: Once you unlock the farmer fred patapon (he waters that silly looking plant back at home) how in the HELL do you play that mini game?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah game is dope. Needs a pause function.

[quote name='metaly']They do, but they measure the time between the employee keying in your order number and handing you your stuff, so it's basically impossible to cash in on that because everything's right behind the counter. Next time I'll bring some tranquilizer darts.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten the $10 off before. I ordred a case for my Guitar Hero III guitar. The case was clearly back there, but they thought I had ordered an actual guitar and not a case. When they went to the floor and found the case and it matched the item number, they came back and then apologized for taking so long and then I got my giftcard. :) It's possible for you to get it, but just like you said sometimes very hard. The best time to get it is to place an order overnight when they are closed and hope the morning shift doesn't pull the order in the morning and be there right when the store opens.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']fever time early is easy. just pay attention to the border. a split second before the border shows up press the button.[/quote]I was told you also have to be at least Combo 2 +.

omfg

i'm so stupid.

i spent another half hour trying to do the rain when i just realized i had been hitting X all this time during the juju dance

x != PON

fjddksafdsafklsjdfkljsafklj

Ugghhgg I keep getting burned up in the desert. Somehow I always manage to lose my fever exactly as the rain stops and it's a disaster. I should probably just do the rain dance as soon as the fever comes up, rather than saving it.

Is it possible to keep fever going even through the rain dance? The beat/border go away at the end, so I have no idea about the timing.

[quote name='metaly']Is it possible to keep fever going even through the rain dance? The beat/border go away at the end, so I have no idea about the timing.[/QUOTE]

Despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to stay in fever mode after performing a miracle. I don't know if it's possible.

[quote name='xeex']Despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to stay in fever mode after performing a miracle. I don't know if it's possible.[/quote]

You can't. It's just not possible. It cuts off as soon as you go back to battle. Think it's just a gameplay balance decision.

I keep losing in the crossing of the desert. Oh well. I am glad I am not almost done with the game. I feel I am getting more bang for my buck!

[quote name='Kendal']I keep losing in the crossing of the desert. Oh well. I am glad I am not almost done with the game. I feel I am getting more bang for my buck![/quote]

Lol cute. It's twice as long as God Of War CoO anyway so you are getting a whole lot of bang, boom, and BBRARRAKAAOW! for your buck.

Here's what you do. After you get the rain started, build up another combo to Fever, and start the miracle again. Don't worry about the snail thing as you will be wailing on it enough to kill it before it crosses the finish line. Wash rinse repeat.

Finally made it across the desert. I'm kind of worried about how repetetive this game is so far. I probably have the rain juju rhythm memorized by now. Still, I love watching the patapons dance around and chant, and the drums sound so gratifying with headphones. I'm torn.

Just don't play it in huge stretches. Take your time with the game, do other things or play other games. It's a very casual game if you think about it. Do a hunt pretty quickly, take on a boss the next day, etc...

1st official PSBlog tip was posted.

Head to the post there and ask for questions.

**MILD SPOILER WARNING**

P-Day 2008-02-26: hordes of Patapon fans storm local shops in search of drumming musical goodness; Thousands (millions?) of people found across the globe hypnotically chanting “pata-pata-pata-pon”.
Ok, so that faux-news bit might be a bit of a hyperbole, but I’d like to personally thank everyone here on the blog (new comers and old timers) on the support, good vibes, happy thoughts and overall positive sentiments towards this little bit of land we call Patapolis… and welcome to the tribe.
Last post, we mentioned that we’ll be answering a few questions on gameplay and offer some tips as long as it doesn’t spoil the ending.

Crossing the Dessert
Many of you are getting fried trying to cross the desert, so here’s a little tip for you guys: hook it up with the Rain JuJu, Don drum and get a’ chantin’…

Rain Juju and Don Drum
  • Successfully Defeat the Great Guardian Dodonga.
  • Go back into the Patata Plain (first hunting level). March until you approach the totem pole at the beginning of the level (get close enough, but don’t go past it!). Press the buttons indicated in the Totem Pole, and of course, keep to the rhythm!
  • Pick up the compass and finish the level.
  • Find the secret level now unlocked and battle against the Dauntless Dragon Majidonga! This will give you both the DON drum and the Secret Rain JuJu!

Fever Mode (aka Patapon’s Gone Wild)
  • Get your Patapons up to fever mode. This is done by successfully executing a series of commands (6-10) in a chain without breaking the beat.
  • Once you hear/read “Fever!!”, chant Don DonDon DonDon. Make sure to keep to the rhythm when you drum!
  • You’ll enter into full JuJu mode and get with the rain making!

Final Tip
You can equip different JuJu’s in the HQ, just scroll over to the right with the directional buttons and press the X button to select your JuJu.

Keep the Fever Going
The hardest part is not reaching fever mode, but actually keeping it! This is where the Pata-(wo)men are separated from the Pata-boys (and girls). You must ignore all distractions and keep to the beat! Sometimes the Patapons will start talking and not chant, but you must not let that distract you. One easy way to keep the rhythm is by tapping your feet, or bobbing your head, or humming along… this will make sure you’re always on top of it and it will help you reach Earthend.

Team Patapon
Working on Patapon has been a great experience, something that could not have been done with out the help of our marketing team (Chuck Lacson), PR (Alex Armour) and last but not least, the entire QA team that incessantly made sure that all bugs were fixed… these guys have you guys in mind when they play through the title making sure that everything is on the up-and-up so you guys, the fans, have a great gaming experience. These guys know the game back and forth, from here to Earthend and back – that sort of knowledge is ka-ching… so we’ve recruited Rodger Aladray, our QA lead on Patapon, to help out with some tips here and there as well.
Thanks everyone for the support, keep the rhythm going and see you next week. Get those questions in!

So what the hell am I doing wrong? I have hit Triangle-Circle-Triangle-Circle like 30 times in front of that fucking totem, and it just flips around and lands right back down. What the fuck.

So the only two options for missions are the Dinosaur again or hunting.

bread's done
Back