PAX Prime 2013 Thread: CAGs Against Banality

I wanna go to Ezell's fried chicken!!!!

and seafood... coz it's frikken Seattle!!

(I didnt get to eat last year :cry:)

[quote name='blueshinra']I'm all for more food suggestions :D A lot of the chain restaurants around the convention center (Subway, Cheesecake Factory) get pretty busy, and I'd be down with more places to eat at.

Speaking of which, anyone want to do a pre-PAX informal get-together on Thursday sometime? Not sure where, but if it's for lunch, I'm leaning toward MOD Pizza.[/QUOTE]

I would be down for dinner, we're rolling in from Portland, so I'm not sure we'll be there by lunch.

[quote name='blueshinra']Oh wow, looks good.

I probably shouldn't have looked at that while being hungry, though :razz:[/QUOTE]

I just ate lunch and it still looks good:

Wild Boar Sloppy Joe
Fish & Chips
Pork Belly Garlic Soup
Huge awesome beer list including Trappist ales

=P~ SIGN ME UP! \\:D/

If we decide to a PAX get together for food can we do it Sunday night maybe? I have to head back early afternoon on Monday. Any word if Cheapy or the Shipwrecks will be there this year? 

I'm cool with Sunday, but a lot depends on the PAX schedule, which isn't up yet. Haven't heard anything about whether or not Cheapy and/or the Shipwrecks will be coming this year. We'll see, I guess.

Definitely want to do a pre-PAX thing on Thursday night-- maybe at that place JEKKI linked to?

If all goes well, (fingers-crossed) I can do dinner on a Pre-PAX meetup. Technically I'm working that day, so lunch is out of the question. I should know soon.

Do we still have the pics from last year's dinner? I'd love to see those again even though I didn't go
Here's Cheapy's group photo. I don't know if anyone took pics at the actual dinner, though (a few of the guys in that pic above weren't there for that).

I'm good for a Thursday night dinner.
Yaaay :)

As for a mid/post-PAX meetup, panel submissions closed recently, so we should be getting a schedule soon, hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
all I wanna do at pax is play all the analog games!

video games are so 2000 and late! I'm on dat analog shyt now!

so yah, teach us how to play it!

I'm down for learning some CaH, never actually played it myself. Would be a good tribute to the late Ryan Davis as well (RIP :cry: )

And yea I hope to spend more time on the tabletop stuff myself this year - with the extra day that should be doable without sacrificing too many vidyergamez. I play Magic (badly), recently learned Dominion, and down for other stuff too.

CaH is easy, it's pretty much exactly like Apples to Apples if you've ever played that.  I've recently gotten into the tabletop and card games, my wife and I LOVE Dominion!

I had a blast last year at the meetup, even though we had to change venues at the last minute for Cheapy's schedule.

I'm open to Saturday or Sunday.

Pre-pax sounds fantastic, I have to work but could be there after 6pm.

Man, PAX is soon. Booked my flight this morning, and I'm staying with a friend so I just cancelled my Thu-Tue stay at the Hilton Seattle (in case anyone wants to grab the open room.)

Man, PAX is soon. Booked my flight this morning, and I'm staying with a friend so I just cancelled my Thu-Tue stay at the Hilton Seattle (in case anyone wants to grab the open room.)
Well, I didn't get your room but while checking the listings again I was able to move my reservation several blocks closer. So thanks!

If anyone wants a hotel closer to the convention center, it might be worth taking a look.

I may, in fact, be going after all.  Is there a good area to stay near the light rail though (that isn't the airport)?  At this point I'm not sure if staying downtown is a good idea plus we are driving up and the parking fees at the downtown hotels are ridiculous.  I was looking at the airport area and even there they charge for parking (the greedy bastards).  And that is a pretty long haul on the light rail back and forth every day too...

I'm still going. But it looks like some of the folks I was planning on attending with might not. I may have a few passes available for Monday. I will provide more details as I learn more about the plans of my companions. I will be heading up sometime on Sunday, so I will be available for any dinner get-together that evening.

I may, in fact, be going after all. Is there a good area to stay near the light rail though (that isn't the airport)? At this point I'm not sure if staying downtown is a good idea plus we are driving up and the parking fees at the downtown hotels are ridiculous. I was looking at the airport area and even there they charge for parking (the greedy bastards). And that is a pretty long haul on the light rail back and forth every day too...
Not really. There are a few stops on the way to downtown, but it goes through mostly urban areas with mostly houses.

It does however go north to the university district, but I don't know if they charge for parking at those hotels, but there are only a few hotels in that area to begin with.

Yeah, that's kind of what I remember from the trip from the airport last year.  Oh well - I'm still not decided.  Go cheaper but more inconvenient at the airport or pay up but have a much nicer time of it downtown...  While I'm all for being a cheapass, I'm at a point in my life where that starts to become a big hassle at times ;).

Is there room for two more at Pre-PAX dinner? I'm not 100% sure they're going to be available, but I'm staying with friends for the weekend who'll be PAXing on Saturday and Sunday. If not, no big deal.

Is there room for two more at Pre-PAX dinner? I'm not 100% sure they're going to be available, but I'm staying with friends for the weekend who'll be PAXing on Saturday and Sunday. If not, no big deal.
Shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure I should even attempt to make reservations, given that it was impossible with last year's post-PAX meetup (but ultimately unnecessary).

Got my plane ticket. Feeling official.

Now they just need to release the panel schedule. I'm kind of hoping for a panel-light weekend this year so I can spend some more time on the expo floor and playing games, but we'll see! :whee:

I really hate how they no longer give out the official swag bag during early morning queue. Arg one of my favorite queue room memories is sitting on the floor going through the guidebook re-planning my schedule. I wonder if the beachballs from PAX 2012 we wrote on will be back...

Freshly stolen shared from the PA forums:
fast food map:
VEunhhU.jpg

I may, in fact, be going after all. Is there a good area to stay near the light rail though (that isn't the airport)? At this point I'm not sure if staying downtown is a good idea plus we are driving up and the parking fees at the downtown hotels are ridiculous. I was looking at the airport area and even there they charge for parking (the greedy bastards). And that is a pretty long haul on the light rail back and forth every day too...
There should be places within a mile to park for significantly cheaper. I think there's a lot off Virginia St which is 10 dollars a day there.

If you want to get extra cheap you could park for free in madison valley neighborhoods (where I live, 3-4ish miles away from the center), and hop on a single bus that will get you there in 15 or so minutes.

fast food map
Cyber Dogs wat

Did Top Pot last year for breakfast one day and it was good but there was super long line. Also if you're into pearl tea, I went to Bobachine (near Dog in the Park on the map) and omg I died. Gonna go there every day this year to get fat.

I really hate how they no longer give out the official swag bag during early morning queue. Arg one of my favorite queue room memories is sitting on the floor going through the guidebook re-planning my schedule. I wonder if the beachballs from PAX 2012 we wrote on will be back...

fast food map:
VEunhhU.jpg
So are they still giving out official bags of swag? Let me guess they will give them out once you get inside

fast food map:
VEunhhU.jpg
You are awesome. Added this to the second post.

Went to Steelhead Diner last year with bitprophet and metaly. The food was good, but it was super crowded when we were there and the service was slow.

So are they still giving out official bags of swag? Let me guess they will give them out once you get inside
I think last year they picked a time of day where you could go back to the queue room and get a bag. I think this kinda got ruined by people going there and picking up as many bags as they want, so I don't know what they'll do this year.

Where is the scheduuuuullleeeee
I know, right?

On a related note, I'm happy that the musical performers are a bit different this year.

Oh, and this year's PAX 10 choices were announced recently. Really gotta play Rogue Legacy before the show, and I've heard that Ridiculous Fishing's very good, but I don't know much about the others.

I went there! they had a philly cheese dog lol.

318486_412594685466652_1486243545_n.jpg

honestly tho, was way to expensive. There was a place on the street close to the mall was way better:

538526_412594505466670_269893211_n.jpg

someone on GAF however recommended shorty dog:

http://www.shortydog.com/

supposed to be a hella cool place with beer and pinball too!
You mean Shorty's? Its in Ballard, its pretty cool cheap beer and hotdogs. The Unicorn in Capitol Hill district is another bar cade. Anyone get their tickets yet?

We are releasing more than 40 new pinny arcade pins at PAX prime. New PA pins as well as pins for a bunch of great games. Full details soon.
Well there goes my wallet / free time. If anyone finds a spot to get a pin during PAX and/or gets an extra pin they don't want, let me know! I might be hooked.

http://attractmo.de/get-ready-for-fangamer-x-attract-mode/
These guys had an event last year but I missed it. The art looked really good, and this year they've got Jake "Virt" Kaufman performing, a Capy gamejam game, and drinks from the Drunken Moogle.

GAMES:

Joining us this year is our pals at 17-BIT, who are bestowing upon us with the number one reason why we’ll all be getting a PlayStation 4, period: GALAK-Z. Save yourself the headache and heartache of waiting in line for hours on the crowded show-floor for just a teeny-tiny taste when you can instead savor its many splendors all night along.

And making their grand return is CAPY with something truly special and truly incredible: playable to the public for the first time ever is Synchroma, one of their fabled CAPYJAMcreations. Nathan Vella, co-founder & president of CAPY, describes it as: “fun and enraging and hard and stupid and also kind of amazing.”

You absolutely not want to miss this one (and possibly only) chance to experience CAPY‘s normally behind the closed doors awesomeness, and in its purest form.

MUSIC:
What’s a party without tunes? Well, he literally tore the house down last year, and wants to finish the job by taking care of the rest of the block: it’s the 8bit rockstar known the world over as Danimal Cannon.

And joining us is a veritable game music god, the only man truly qualified to reinterpretDuckTales Remastered‘s moon theme for today’s gaming audience. His name is Jake Kaufman, but you all know (and love him) as Virt.

Believe it or not, there’s more to discuss as it pertains to audio portion of the evening, but let’s save the rest for later. Cuz now it’s time to talk the main event.

ARTWORK:
Taking center stage are the artists whose work will grace every corner of the gallery space, by doing what they do best: tapping into our collective love for and fascination with video games, via their ability to draw, paint, sculpt, Photoshop, what have you. The following is the list of participants confirmed thus far (and is therefore subject to change)…

Mariel Cartwright, Mingjue Helen Chen, Cherry Slug, Steve Courtney, Ashley Davis, Daniel Dussault, Dominique Ferland, Gerard Flannory, Kari Fry, Jacob Ferguson, Kyle Fewell, Zac Gorman, Nicole Gustafsson, Junkboy, Melissa King, Corey Lewis, Andrew Lockhart, Jon Magram, Mikey Mann, Chad Manzo, Kris Mukai, Maré Odomo, OMOCAT, Timothy J. Reynolds, Luis Santiago, Asif Siddiky, Jacob Smiley, Space Coyote, Babs Tarr, Jovan Velkosk, Ventla, Meiko Walamies, Campbell Whyte, Laura Wilson, Winter Artwork, and Drew Wise

… Every piece from every artist, whether it be an original or limited edition reproduction, will be available for purchase that evening. We’ll also be able to accommodate those who’d wish to purchase artwork and have it sent directly to their residence, instead of dealing with it the remainder of their evening.

AND THERE’S MORE?
Everyone loved our custom cocktails from before so this time we’ve asked Mitch Hutts, who runs the finest blog dedicated to the intersection of gaming and booze, The Drunken Moogle, to create drinks just for the occasion.

You’ll also find complimentary appetizers and non-alcoholic beverages as well. So all that, plus the chance to play mind-blowing indie games, dance to some hot ‘n heavy chiptune beats, and the opportunity to admire some soul-stirring artwork (which you can also take home)!

OKAY, HOW MUCH?
Just ten dollars. For reals? For reals.

It’s at the same place as before: 1927 Events, located at 1927 3rd Ave, conveniently located in the heart of downtown Seattle, just a few blocks away from the convention center. And what time? 7:00pm to midnight.

“Tickets” will also be sold in the same fashion as before; via our partners Fangamer earlier in the weekend or at the door the night of.

Don’t forget to mark those calendars, citizens of Seattle and everyone else reading this. And remember; X MARKS THE SPOT.

bread's done
Back