PAX Prime 2013 Thread: CAGs Against Banality

What was the free game?
Best of playstation network and my friend got lost planet 3. They were also giving away copies of last of us and some vita games.

Also GOOD LUCK at the indie booth. It's gigantic and there's sooooo many games. I say luck as in good luck leaving and/or seeing everything haha :)

Oh and the giant bomb panel was simply perfect. Non stop humor, a TON of giveaways, and a TON of great gaming conversation. Huge thanks to everyone @giant bomb for the best panel so far I've gone to @PAX2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and the giant bomb panel was simply perfect. Non stop humor, a TON of giveaways, and a TON of great gaming conversation. Huge thanks to everyone @giant bomb for the best panel so far I've gone too @PAX2013
Jeff & co always do an amazing job :) was great to see them again. They were way more mobbed post-show than last year though :whistle2:(

We did the Bombcast, then finished up the evening watching JEKKI completely demolish an old, sadistic as heck NES game (Little Sampson).

Tomorrow (er...later today!) it's panels, hopefully lunch with metaly/kube/whoever else can make it, more panels, some showfloor, and more panels.

Me and my son are waiting in the Zelda Wind Waker line. Will probably be here for an hour+ if any CAGs want to stop by and say hi.

I'm hoping tomorrow won't be so crowded, I wanna get my hands on Titanfall and the new xbox controller.  Played Killzone Shadow Fall and the new ps4 controller feels so much better..Sturdier,  and analog sticks are way better. 

We waited the full amount (about 2 hours) for Titanfall (getting in during one of the short times the line wasn't capped). We also got all the Zelda stamps but have to try to get the shirts first thing Monday.

The Dew XP thing was a joke though. There were throngs of people thus AM trying to redeem. Considering that so few were there yesterday I can only assume that everyone shared the codes. We waited like 30 minutes and the line barely moved so we bailed. My son wanted the headphones and we didn't have enough points till this morning. What sucks is that no one was redeeming yesterday afternoon and I had enough points for 2 12 month XBL cards. Now all those points are going to waste. Doritos, Mt Dew, and Xbox can go bite me. That was a horrendously run promotion.

Other than all the wasted time on those codes, though, we had a decent day today. Hopefully tomorrow lightens up a bit though. The crowds have been relentless without ever really letting up. I'd say in hindsight Friday was actually the least crowded day overall.

We waited the full amount (about 2 hours) for Titanfall (getting in during one of the short times the line wasn't capped). We also got all the Zelda stamps but have to try to get the shirts first thing Monday.

The Dew XP thing was a joke though. There were throngs of people thus AM trying to redeem. Considering that so few were there yesterday I can only assume that everyone shared the codes. We waited like 30 minutes and the line barely moved so we bailed. My son wanted the headphones and we didn't have enough points till this morning. What sucks is that no one was redeeming yesterday afternoon and I had enough points for 2 12 month XBL cards. Now all those points are going to waste. Doritos, Mt Dew, and Xbox can go bite me. That was a horrendously run promotion.

Other than all the wasted time on those codes, though, we had a decent day today. Hopefully tomorrow lightens up a bit though. The crowds have been relentless without ever really letting up. I'd say in hindsight Friday was actually the least crowded day overall.

Stupid hotel wifi - disconnected on me but I guess it posted first - sorry for the double post that I can't edit on my phone ;)

If you're coming to tonight's meetup and are not in the OP's RSVP list , please post here or ping @R_Kasahara on Twitter! Thanks!

Don't forget we're meeting outside in front of the convention center's FedEx! Not at Rock Bottom!

Our plans for today are mostly panels, preparing for our return home, and if we're lucky some final expo floor stuff before the closing ceremony.

Probably may have been the best PAX I've been to in 4 years. Thanks for the chance to meet you guys. See you guys next year one way or another!  

Got home around 11pm which was nice.  Sorry I couldn't meet up with you guys but we took off on the train as soon as it was over.  We had to get back out to the airport to get our car which was still at the hotel and then drive 3+ hours home.  I'm glad I did it ASAP as I was pretty wiped out.  I even considered stopping at a hotel instead of going all the way home since I was getting sleepy and my son was no help at all in keeping me awake.  He wouldn't talk to me about anything ;).

But he was definitely happy.  When we got home he did his post-PAX ritual of laying all his swag out on the floor and taking pictures.  We got some nice stuff last minute.

The best swag spot was the same as it was last year - out in the hallway by the smaller escalators.  Last year that was where PopCap was with all their Plants vs Zombies hats and plush.  This year it was Harmonix/Fantasia.  The hats and pins were nice, but they gave out those PSN/XBL $2 cards along with them.  Then at the end they were handing out stacks of XBL codes.  They gave me 8 and my son 6 just then.  I mean, of course, I could have not spent $600 on a hotel (plus other expenses) and bought XBL codes with that money instead.  But it was a nice bonus on top of being at PAX.  Giving XBL/PSN codes is pretty much like handing out cash.

Overall, though, there was definitely less stuff than last year (especially in regards to T-shirts).  It seems we were getting shirts for playing games with lines of just 3-4 people last year (eg, LBP Karting, Unfinished Swan, NSMB 2) and this year it was much harder.  And just to be clear, my kids have been wearing these shirts all the time since the last PAX, so they are definitely put to use when we do get them.

I did finally get to play my first PS4 games today.  I gave a bunch of the "lesser" games a try like Warframe, Drive Club, and some PSN-type game with really bright colors (Hohokum or something I want to say?), and a few others.  The one game I've preordered (Knack) I did not get to play, unfortunately - for whatever reason the lines for that, while not Titanfall/Rhyse/Bayonetta 2/Wind Waker-sized (ie, 2 hours plus), were longer than I wanted for that game.

All-in-all it was pretty fun though.  I just wish there had been something like this around when I was younger.  The non-show floor stuff makes the whole experience pretty nice but unfortunately I just can't partake in much of that.  I can't do parties and such when I'm with my son.  And since we got a last-minute airport hotel this year we couldn't even really come back in the evening for the PC tournaments and such.  If you stay by the convention center and have all the time in the world and no one to take care of, it could be incredible.

Best of playstation network and my friend got lost planet 3. They were also giving away copies of last of us and some vita games.

Also GOOD LUCK at the indie booth. It's gigantic and there's sooooo many games. I say luck as in good luck leaving and/or seeing everything haha :)

Oh and the giant bomb panel was simply perfect. Non stop humor, a TON of giveaways, and a TON of great gaming conversation. Huge thanks to everyone @giant bomb for the best panel so far I've gone to @PAX2013

I ended up with a God of War III special edition. Hung out with Sid and Nick for a few minutes to talk. They gave away a awesome Resistance jacket to a fan.

It was great to meet up with some cags again. Glad I got to hang out with bitprohet, r. kinshara, Kube00, and the mystery fellow who's tag I forgot.

I really wanted to stay for the giantbomb, first pax with out the bombcast, but I needed to get home so I could help my wife clean the house for the babysitter so she could come on Sunday with me. If I didn't make the 10pm ferry, I wouldn't get home until 2am.

I'm back! good times were had!

great seeing and hanging out with old peeps, and great meeting new ones!!

but everyone's favorite part is PAX in numbers!! of dollars, that is.

$49.09 in personal shopping / spending

$10.50 to use Seattle's very functional public transportation systems

$250.74 on food & drink... spent more in five days than I spent in the entirety of August...

I'm gonna be very hungry for the rest of this month...

and the worst number of all...

$95 to purchase and ship a 2lb halibut steak from Pike Market back to my mom

>_<

never doing that again lol

not listed is the price of hotel + tip

speaking of food btw,

94e77272113511e3acc922000ae81df1_7.jpg

43779060119011e38a2e22000a1fbc67_7.jpg

0ab4533211bb11e3bfea22000a1fbe0b_7.jpg

5f4e68ea11ea11e3beb722000a9f3ce2_7.jpg

dd0de44c126f11e38faf22000a1f99f9_7.jpg

91611d9c12a711e38e2c22000a1fb747_7.jpg

293e461e133711e393e222000a1fc7f0_7.jpg

24daa536134611e3b56022000a9f1354_7.jpg

f54c07b813e711e3ab7e22000ae912c7_7.jpg

b8bf564a142011e3b98522000a9e063b_7.jpg

$250.74 on food &amp; drink... spent more in five days than I spent in the entirety of August...

I'm gonna be very hungry for the rest of this month...
Wow - I think you spent way more on food than I did on me and my son combined. But then we ate functionally, not recreationally ;). We just ate quickly what we needed to in order to get back to the show.

The best number for me was that it only cost me about $12 in gas each way to get up here. A couple of months back I finally replaced my 17 year-old car with a new one that gets 50+ MPG. That sure beats the $200 each I spent on airfare last time even after factoring in the $10/day parking at the hotel (near the airport - it is more like $30/day downtown).

We're back home! I think I got maybe a total of 30 minutes of sleep last night on Amtrak (bitprophet fared better). Exhausted and we spent a little too much this time around, but it was a great PAX, and it was great to see nearly everyone else again. Was hoping to see you at the meetup, io, but maybe next year?

Speaking of next year, I'm definitely going to start the PAX Prime 2014 thread not long after PAX East ends, and before passes go on sale so we can plan ahead.

Gotta finish unpacking, sorting through pics and swag, etc., but all that can wait-- relaxation comes first.

I blitzed the last day of PAX this year. Hit it like a whirlwind. Sadly, I did not get to meet up with any other CAGs, but I still had a great time. Gonna have to do everything I can to make sure I get an all-show pass next year. One day was great, but it was not enough. I was seriously strapped for time on going to various panels, and attending the various panels was one of my favorite parts of my first PAX trip.

I did find that the enormous crowds didn't bother me as much this time around. I'm not entirely sure why this was, but I was grateful for the difference. (because the crowds were certainly enormous, and tightly packed)

We're back home! I think I got maybe a total of 30 minutes of sleep last night on Amtrak (bitprophet fared better). Exhausted and we spent a little too much this time around, but it was a great PAX, and it was great to see nearly everyone else again. Was hoping to see you at the meetup, io, but maybe next year?
I think I waved at you guys in the Bad Games panel line on Monday but you didn't seem to notice. We were not too far in front of you. That is, if you are who I think you are. You changed your CAG name right - were you blue-something before?

In any case, I waved at the couple who organized the CAG get-together last year ;).

And yeah, if I can get a decently-priced downtown hotel next year I'll be more up the get-together. I just couldn't do it when we had to take the train back to SEATAC every night. And that last night we wanted to get on the road to get home before midnight. Fortunately my son didn't start school until today so he had yesterday to recover. Next year he will probably be starting school the day after Labor Day, though, since he will be a freshman and they start a day earlier. I also plan on taking both of my older boys next year (when they will be 14 and 11). That's all assuming I can get tickets. It was a bit hairy this year as I completely missed when they went on sale and had to scramble to get some later.

I think I waved at you guys in the Bad Games panel line on Monday but you didn't seem to notice. We were not too far in front of you. That is, if you are who I think you are. You changed your CAG name right - were you blue-something before?

In any case, I waved at the couple who organized the CAG get-together last year ;).
Yeah, I was blueshinra. And no, we didn't notice; whoops! ^_^;;; We did have a panel near where the line for the Zelda shirts was, so we thought we might see you then, but guess not...

Yeah, it seemed like you were looking right through me when I waved.  I was going to say something but then the line started moving and I lost where you were.  Oh well...  next year!

-----------

I just entered some of the Harmonix PS3 codes and they actually give you $2.19 - how odd.  I guess they are including some sort of sales tax.  Luckily for me I don't pay sales tax so it is just extra money!  The MS codes on the other hand are just a straight up $2.

bread's done
Back