PAX Prime 2013 Thread: CAGs Against Banality

I've only been to two panels in the 4 years. They are fun but one has to plan ahead. 

Good times to yet you guys I know I got a Media pass again this year so I will be selling my tickets to my buddy for at cost since he has never gone. 

For sure I'll go to Retro Gaming Roadshow 

Here's an organized Google Doc of the panels from the pax prime forums

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzN_PH6aL5PDYnJqcURDNFlKRzA/edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, the party news front is weird this year. It's too quiet, either I'm sniffing the wrong sources, planners are waiting it out, or tie is just moving slower then I thought. I swear there were more parties announced by now last time.

Links:

You'll see a lot of the same info between them, yadda yadda avoid the Curse party if they have it again, yadda yadda ya. So far nothing has really jumped out to me yet, but I'll be scrapping twitter and the net in off moments until PAX.

my ears are twitching, I know I'm just missing something.

my ears are twitching, I know I'm just missing something.
photo-110778.png

Second post updated; thanks for the info, all! (ETA: OP updated now as well.)

Also, this is not on the official schedule yet, but Giant Bomb is doing a panel this year: https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/365181522422145025

schedule sucks this year lol.

which is fine by me, more time to look for ways to get fat and less regret if I don't go in 2014.

also they put GFW reunion on monday... grrrr >_< anyway looking at:

Friday: Mega 64

Saturday: Retro Roadshow?? not only is it at 9pm (I'd rather be at attractmode), but Frank Cifaldi's not listed on the lineup!! bad bad bad!!!

Sunday: Dtoid, Twitch, Rev3

honestly tho, I wish they did Magfest in seattle instead lol.

vastly superior con... vastly inferior location o_O

When's the Gaming in the Clinton Years panel??

Here's the stuff that looks interesting to me. Stuff I definitely want to see is in bold:

Friday
1:00    The Making of: Nintendo NES Games
2:00    Pitching The Last of Us

Saturday
11:00    Fun Facts & the Dirty Truth: Your Video Game Debates Put To Rest
1:00    10 Questions with Supergiant Games
4:30    Keiji Inafune
6:30    Chainsawsuit With Friends!
8:30    The Question Block Videogame Trivia (anyone want to form a team?)

Sunday
3:30    Final Fantasy Funtime Geekout
6:30    Video Game Music Trivia
7:00    Awesome Video Game Data (overlaps with VGM trivia, booo)

Monday
12:00    Bad Games
1:30    Three Decades of Video Game Music
5:30    Omegathon Final Round

but Frank Cifaldi's not listed on the lineup!! bad bad bad!!!
I, too, was startled to learn this. Oh well...

Got a fairly large personal schedule made out, which will definitely be pared closer to PAX (it doesn't help that I want to spend most of Friday on the show floor). Here's the stuff I'm most interested in right now, though:

Friday
10:30 - Peter Molyneux*
1:00 - Making of NES Games
3:30 - Doing Retro Right
4:30 - Top Women Game Characters
7:00 - Game Show Night

Saturday
12:30 - Videogames in Medicine
7:00 - Omegathon Round 4: Jenga
7:30 - You Game Like a Girl (bah, overlaps)
8:00 - (Giant Bomb's dealiemabobber)
9:00 - Retrogame Roadshow

Sunday
7:00 - Awesome Video Game Data (might skip this time; it's a fantastic panel and I highly recommend it, but I've seen it two years in a row!)
8:00 - How to Play Pinball

Monday
10:00 - It's Not Too Dangerous to Go Alone!
10:30 - Shooters and Shooters (grr, overlaps)
12:00 - Bad Games
5:30 - Omegathon Final Round

* - I've never been to any of the PAX keynotes before; anyone have tips?

Finally made a run through the schedule and picked out:

Fri
1pm - The Making of: Nintendo NES Games
2pm - Pitching The Last of Us - afraid of the line though :/
4:30pm - All Your Words Are Belong To Us: How Localization Works (And Why It Sometimes Doesn’t) - I think this was a late addition - probably the one I'm most interested in.
7pm - Game Show Night

Sat
10:30am - Make a Strip
4:30 - Keiji Inafune: From 8-bit to Next-Gen, and Beyond
7pm - Omegathon Jenga - shockingly this was a blast last time they did it at East. I've never been so excited to watch Jenga.
8:30pm - The Question Block Videogame Trivia

Sun
10:30am - PA Q&amp;A2
3:30 - The Good, The Bad, and The Moogles: Final Fantasy Funtime Geekout - these panelists did a JRPG panel at East 2013 that I really enjoyed.
6:30pm - VGM Trivia

Mon
12pm - Khoo &amp; A
5:30pm - Omegathon Final

but dang apparently they were at PAX east?!?!
I went to that booth, and in retrospect it was pretty weird. Just looked into NAVGTR and man there's some weird shit going on. Can't tell if it's a big scam or brilliant comedy.

8:30 The Question Block Videogame Trivia (anyone want to form a team?)
:wave:

What's Game Show Night like? Is that a thing I should do?

4:30pm - All Your Words Are Belong To Us: How Localization Works (And Why It Sometimes Doesn’t) - I think this was a late addition - probably the one I'm most interested in.
I guess it was too much to hope that Alex O. Smith would fly over from Japan for this. :[

Saw one of them last year, and it was fun and kinda silly. I think you'd like it.

I guess it was too much to hope that Alex O. Smith would fly over from Japan for this. :[
That would be awesome. It would've been cool to see some 8-4 and/or XSEED staff as well.

Still looks like it could be a good panel with the current lineup, though.

Game show night is actually three separate "panels," but I think they do them back to back and they sound like fun. I think Randy checked it out at PAX East this year and seemed to enjoy it.

Damn, forgot that Alex O. moved out of the country. He and Joseph Reeder were at East that first year and made it sound like they'd be coming back, but now it's not looking good :/

That would be awesome. It would've been cool to see some 8-4 and/or XSEED staff as well.
The 8-4 guys were acting very "wink wink nudge nudge"-y on their last podcast, saying that right after PAX would be an "interesting time." So if they're not involved in some announcement at PAX, I'd at least expect them to be interpreting at that Inafune panel.

How about Sunday night dinner or drinks? I cant do the pre-pax since I won't be in town yet and on Monday Im leaving late afternoon. 

Why is the retro game show on sat night.....that's pax party/drinking time!

Just got a Kickstarter update from Tales of Game's. Here's the part relevant to this thread:

Mystical Greetings,

So we had promised big news mid-August and we have just that. We're going to PAX Prime in two weeks to be part of the awe-inspiring Indie MegaBooth!

That truck haul of bonkers nonsense above is going to be exhibited along with over 83 games from 78 developers. And how!

You can check out more information about Barkley 2 here on the IMB site.

If any of you kiddos are going to be in Seattle for PAX Prime from August 30th to September 2nd, send us a message or swing by Booth 867. Surprises abound.
So yeah, Barkley 2 at PAX! :whee:

I've been lazy/trying-not-to-be-PAX-crazy/lazy/Why is August taking so damn long/Arg/lazy so I haven't done much glancing at the PA forums recently. Some more parties have popped up, yadda yadda ya, but i did get turned on to parkopedia today. That's linked to the area around the WSCC.

So it turns out the mysterious Nintendo panel is a Wonderful 101 panel with Hideki Kamiya:

Fans anticipating the launch of The Wonderful 101 on Sept. 15 won't want to miss "Inside The Wonderful 101 with Hideki Kamiya," a special session at which the Platinum Games creative director will share insight into the vision behind this superhero-themed Wii U exclusive action game. The session will take place at the Pegasus Theater in the Sheraton Seattle Hotel at 5 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 1. Additionally, an actor wearing a costume based on Wonder-Red from the game will distribute Wonder-Masks to attendees during the show, while supplies last.
Gonna have to rethink my Sunday plans, now.

Come check out Ryse at the MS booth.  I'll be working there.

Also, anyone have a spare room in DT Seattle Hotel that they booked and not able to use?

OP updated. I threw out a time of 6:30 PM for the pre-PAX thingie. If anyone has objections to that, please let me know, otherwise I'm going to assume that that time's okay.

As for the post-PAX one, it looks like Sunday night and Monday night were the top two choices, but they each got an equal number of votes. Therefore, I'd like to know what everyone's preference is between just those two times.

I'm also thinking that if there's a panel or event that most of us are going to, we can meet up after that.

Oh, and also, Frank Cifaldi is going to be on the Retrogame Roadshow panel, so yaaay. I won't be able to make it to this year's installment, though.

whooo~!!! 6:30 pre pax!!!

my flight dont arrive til like 7:30 lol, have fun yallz!!!

I'll still be at Quinn's at like 10 =P

So it turns out the mysterious Nintendo panel is a Wonderful 101 panel with Hideki Kamiya:
D: I imagine getting into this will be a nightmare but I want to see Kamiya in action.

I'm also thinking that if there's a panel or event that most of us are going to, we can meet up after that.
Now that the Guidebook app is updated, time to finally figure out what I'm seeing...

whooo~!!! 6:30 pre pax!!!

my flight dont arrive til like 7:30 lol, have fun yallz!!!

I'll still be at Quinn's at like 10 =P
Argh! Sorry to hear about that :???:

I can bump up the time to be later, but 10PM is too late!

lol wtf there's an Animal Crossing tournament on Saturday
Intertesting - might have to check that out as I'll have my 3DS with AC in it with me the whole time. I also bought the new StreetPass games in preparation for going. Oh yeah, and I'm going again this year - yay!

I just booked my hotel a week or two ago - we're stuck at the airport even though we are driving up. We'll just have to take the train in and back every day. That will be a big pain (as we liked taking a break at the hotel mid-day and then being able to go back for the nightime stuff like the PC gaming area). We won't be able to do as much but I guess it is good there is the extra day then at least. I'm not sure about the meetups - probably won't be around any evenings.

Okay, so it looks like Monday night is the clear winner for the second meetup. I'm thinking Rock Bottom Brewery again for that one, at 7PM (the Omegathon finals technically end at 6:30 PM, but it might run late...). The meetup place will be outside the convention center, in front of the FedEx (same place where we took the group photo last year). Please RSVP, etc. etc. 

My rough schedule between press stuff...I'd like to make it to some of these panels

Or I'll spend too much time on the floor

All my appointments are Sat/Sun

Fri

11:30-12:30 Does story matter in games Krakken

12:30-1:30 From Obsession to Profession: How to Forge the Career You Want in the Videogame Industry Unicorn

2-3 Getting hired in video game marketing Unicorn or 2-3 Pitching the Last of Us Pegasus

3:30-4:30 Doing retro right Unicorn or 4-5 Wolfman A Byte of Seattle: The Rise of Seattle’s Gaming Industry

8-9 Arabian Fights: Super Nintendo vs Sega Genesis Pegasus

Sat

9-10 pm Retrogame Roadshow: The Game Show! Krakken

Sunday

9:30-10:30 Are You Afraid? A Guide to Survival Horror Wolfman

2-3 The HUGE Evolution of Games Blogging Pegasus

Monday

10:30-11:30 Testers vs The Game: The Life of a Game Tester

Well I've finally gelantinized a panel schedule for myself. I say gelantinized because this is a flexible structure, I always shove everything I'm interested in on it, just in case I'm don't like a panel, or don't make the cutoff, I have a back up. Also a fix for the "Guh what do I do now? So bored," situation. Only 2 panels have a "+" denoting a primary, must attend panel. Yes I'm crazy, why thank you.

Panel Schedule

Friday
12:30 PM

From Obsession to Profession: How to Forge the Career You Want in the Videogame Industry

1:00 PM

Achieving Gender Diversity in Gaming: OK Now What?

2:00 PM

Get Hired in Video Games Marketing

Pitching The Last of Us +

4:00 PM

A Byte of Seattle: The Rise of Seattle's Gaming Industy

4:30 PM

All Your Words Are Belong To Us: How Localization Works (And Why It Sometimes Doesn't)

5:30 PM

inFAMOUS Second Son - Being superHUMAN in Seattle

6:00 PM

The LoadingReadyRun Panel!

7:00 PM

Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man? A discussion of military servicewomen in Video Games

Game Show Night: Blankety Blank

9:00 PM

Game Show Night: Family Feud!

9:30 PM

Improv Initiative Strikes Again!

Saturday

10:00 AM

Living the Dream: The Tales, Trials, and Tribulations of the Geek Shop Keep

10:30 AM

Everything We Know Is Sexist. Now What?

11:30 AM

Creating & Building Inclusive Communities in Tabletop/Board Gaming

Videogames in Medicine

I LOVE YOU AND HAVE YOUR GAME TATTOOED ON MY LEG: Brand Personalization vs. Advertisement

3:30 PM

Designing, Shaping, and Examining Online Player Behavior

5:30 PM

All Your Zombies: Why the Genre Still Holds Our Attention

7:30 PM

You Game Like A Girl: Tales of Trolls & White Knights

8:30 PM

Political Correctness in Gaming: Let's Talk

The Question Block Videogame Trivia

The Escapist Movie Night

Sunday

11:00 AM

Six Second Game Pitch: Elevator Pitches in the Age of Vine

12:00PM

Pitch Your Game Idea

It's Dangerous to Go Alone: The Take This Panel

The HUGE Evolution of Games Blogging

2:30 PM

DISCLAIMER: These thoughts and opinions are my own... or are they?

3:00 PM

The Good, The Bad, and The Moogles: Final Fantasy Funtime Geekout

Web Video for Gamers: How to Make Your Live Streaming & On Demand Video Content Awesome

6:00 PM

Voice Acting 101

Cards Against Humanity

10:00 PM

The Worst of the Worst: Hacking, Exploitation, and Abuse within Online Games

Late Night Dub Fight

Monday

10:00 AM

It's Not Too Dangerous To Go Alone! - Finding The Bravery To Do It Yourself

From One Geek to Another - Gamer Etiquette

NVIDIA Gaming: From Mobile to 4k, We've Got You Covered

10:30 AM

Testers vs. The Game: The Life of a Game Tester

Shooters and Shooters: Exploring the Connection between Video Games and Mass Shootings

11:00 AM

The Benefits of Players Writing Their Own Stories in Gaming

12:00 PM

Bad Games

Gender Diversity in Games: Where are All The Believable Female Characters?

2:30 PM

INSIDE GEARBOX SOFTWARE +

The Art of the Table: GMing Beyond the Basics

4:30 PM

The Brain Dump: Eight Developers Reveal the Dark Secrets of Game Development

And as far as parties go:

The Dtoid ones sound interesting, Wildstar & Blacklight on Saturday are up there, Double Fine & Indie After Party (RSVP'd), maybe Strife if I can snag an invite on Sunday, and I know where I'll be on Monday Night. Keeping a ear open for word about what/if Ubisoft/Frag Doll's are doing this year party-wise. Detailed info in the PA thread.

As I alluded to above I'm like a near-amorphous organism drifting in the sea that is PAX, plans are subject to change at the drop of a hat.

Okay, so it looks like Monday night is the clear winner for the second meetup. I'm thinking Rock Bottom Brewery again for that one, at 7PM (the Omegathon finals technically end at 6:30 PM, but it might run late...). The meetup place will be outside the convention center, in front of the FedEx (same place where we took the group photo last year). Please RSVP, etc. etc.
I'm in.

bread's done
Back