PAX Prime 2013 Thread: CAGs Against Banality

Okay, so it looks like Monday night is the clear winner for the second meetup. I'm thinking Rock Bottom Brewery again for that one, at 7PM (the Omegathon finals technically end at 6:30 PM, but it might run late...). The meetup place will be outside the convention center, in front of the FedEx (same place where we took the group photo last year). Please RSVP, etc. etc.
I'm in, probably bringing +2

I RSVP'ed to the Dtoid Party on Sunday, Wildstar/Blacklight (Played Blacklight last year and it was a lot of fun) look good. Best way to get a hold of me is via text or twitter while at PAX. If you want my cell number or forgot shoot me a pm.

^ Maybe I'll run into you this time!  I can't do any party stuff because I'm with my son.  Too bad - those sound like fun.

I'm honestly not even sure what there is to see this year.  Hopefully there are lots of PS4/One systems in place so we can try those out.  I just worry they will be in short supply with long lines.  I'm hoping I don't have to do another 3 hour wait (like for Halo 4 last year).   There isn't one particular game my son needs to play like that so we can probably just avoid the big lines (and I'm not even sure what they would be for).

Hopefully there are big lines for some of the games I don't care about (like Watch Dogs and GTA V) and those eat up people's time so the rest of the floor is more clear ;).  Borderlands 2 was like that last year.  I like that game, actually, but with it coming out so soon after PAX I didn't feel the need to stand in line for 4+ hours just to get a T-shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well no meetup this year for this guy :(
Booooo. Maybe we can sync up on panels.

Okay, so it looks like Monday night is the clear winner for the second meetup. I'm thinking Rock Bottom Brewery again for that one, at 7PM (the Omegathon finals technically end at 6:30 PM, but it might run late...). The meetup place will be outside the convention center, in front of the FedEx (same place where we took the group photo last year). Please RSVP, etc. etc.
In definitely, and Rock Bottom Brewery was pretty good!

hey folks, any thoughts on using a group messaging app like whatsapp or groupme?
Great idea. Whatsapp won't install on my iPad for some mystery reason, so maybe Groupme? What's the best way to get everyone in a group?

i think some of you CAG going may find this interesting...

Do you have a crappy pair of headphones? Are they held together by tape? Are you headed to PAX Prime? Well, that’s a pretty tidy combo if you are among the first 100 people visiting the Turtle Beach booth at PAX – they are trading your old and busted for the new hotness! There are a few restrictions, but they are pretty minimal. Check it out:
link to source.

Prime sounds like so much better of an event this year than East was. Lots of PS4, X1, Vita, etc, games on the show floor. But it's all the way on the other side of the US. :(

Prime sounds like so much better of an event this year than East was. Lots of PS4, X1, Vita, etc, games on the show floor. But it's all the way on the other side of the US. :(
That's one of the reasons I like Prime, it's after E3 and Gamescon, so anything announced there has a good chance of showing up at PAX.

No it isn't. Clearly it is the most convenient of all the shows being the only one I can drive to in an evening. See I can play that game too ;).

Seriously, though, it is nice that it is towards the end of summer - you get a good look at all the Fall/Winter stuff which even at E3 isn't nearly as far along yet.

Greetings from Seattle!  :wave: We got to our hotel just a little while ago. Hoping to get some good sightseeing in before PAX.

Added the GroupMe link to the OP; thanks for setting that up, creid :)

Only problem with GroupMe is it doesn't seem to bloody work! Website effectively non-functional (couldn't sign up as buttons n such only half worked; after making acct on phone, it refuses to find my login info when I try logging in via the web), not possible to search for groups via the mobile app, etc. Pretty crummy experience :(

On the plus side, yes, we're in Seattle and literally around the corner from the venue  :whee:

I got tickets just recently so I didn't book a hotel until earlier this month.  At that point there was nothing in downtown for less than $500-$700 per night.  So we're staying at the airport even though we're driving.  Will be taking the train in every day - not too bad except for the extra time involved and the lack of a place to go take a mid-day break (and unload swag ;)).

On the flip side, since I'm with my son it's not like I'm going to be out partying every night so I can get plenty of sleep and get downtown first thing every day.

^ Maybe I'll run into you this time! I can't do any party stuff because I'm with my son. Too bad - those sound like fun.

I'm honestly not even sure what there is to see this year. Hopefully there are lots of PS4/One systems in place so we can try those out. I just worry they will be in short supply with long lines. I'm hoping I don't have to do another 3 hour wait (like for Halo 4 last year). There isn't one particular game my son needs to play like that so we can probably just avoid the big lines (and I'm not even sure what they would be for).

Hopefully there are big lines for some of the games I don't care about (like Watch Dogs and GTA V) and those eat up people's time so the rest of the floor is more clear ;). Borderlands 2 was like that last year. I like that game, actually, but with it coming out so soon after PAX I didn't feel the need to stand in line for 4+ hours just to get a T-shirt.
I dont think GTA V will be there, Rockstar usually doesn't have a booth. Elder Scrolls Online, Xbox One, PS4 will have bad lines

I got tickets just recently so I didn't book a hotel until earlier this month. At that point there was nothing in downtown for less than $500-$700 per night. So we're staying at the airport even though we're driving. Will be taking the train in every day - not too bad except for the extra time involved and the lack of a place to go take a mid-day break (and unload swag ;)).

On the flip side, since I'm with my son it's not like I'm going to be out partying every night so I can get plenty of sleep and get downtown first thing every day.
io, my car will be at the Convention Center, I could probably let you stash your stuff there if your bags get full

Groupme seems to be working for me

Only problem with GroupMe is it doesn't seem to bloody work! Website effectively non-functional (couldn't sign up as buttons n such only half worked; after making acct on phone, it refuses to find my login info when I try logging in via the web), not possible to search for groups via the mobile app, etc. Pretty crummy experience :(
Yeah, I was having a hell of a time with the website. Had to log in a 2nd time with identical credentials to get it to work :whee:

io, my car will be at the Convention Center, I could probably let you stash your stuff there if your bags get full

Groupme seems to be working for me
Thanks for the offer but I think we'll be OK. I am going to buy a backpack right now that I'll use instead of relying on the free bags like last year. That way I don't have to carry something in my hands all day. Plus I have a 3DS XL now whereas last year I had the regular one. That doesn't fit in my pocket nearly as easily so the pack will be for that as well ;).

After logging into the app, I followed creid's link on my phone and picked "open in app" (or something to that effect). Haven't experienced any weirdness but aaa who knows.

So much to do in the 24 hours aaaa :whee: :whee: :whee:

Shame the post Pax meetup is on Monday. I need to return home and get finished painting the house before the rain and cold set in.

I need to check with the house and the wife to see if I can skate out after work tomorrow to Seattle.

I checked the weather and it looks good!!

I'm packing and stressing out hoping I dont forget anything!!

almost there!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed0oC_-dC6Q

^^ one of the reasons why I always wanted to go to PAX! lol

other than 1UP reunions / Retronauts live shows

Packing!! aaaa

Here's what ended up on my schedule. (tournaments are all just spectating :baby:)

Friday

11:30 Does Story Matter in Games?

2:00 Pitching the Last of Us

7:00 Game Show Night(?)

Saturday

11:00 Fun Facts: Video Game Debates Put to Rest

1:00 Supergiant Games

4:30 Keiji Inafune

6:30 Chainsawsuit with Friends

7:00 Omegathon: Jenga

8:30 Question Block Videogame Trivia (still need more team members!)

(I think Fangamer X Attract Mode is going on around this time... we'll see how it goes.)

Sunday

10:30 Storytelling in Games

1:00 Modernizing Fantasy RPGs / Soulcalibur 5 tournament

3:30 Final Fantasy Funtime

5:00 Wonderful 101 (oh god with the sales numbers out WHAT WILL HAPPEN)

7:00 Video Game Data

10:00 Divekick tournament

Monday

12:00 Bad Games / Spaceteam tournament

1:00 Saturn Bomberman tournament

1:30 Three Decades of VGM

2:00 Gender Diversity in Games

5:30 Omegathon Final

Also a super incomplete list of games I want to check out!

Octodad
Divekick
Galak-Z
Hotline Miami 2
Transistor
Knack
Diablo III (console)
Hohokum
Audiosurf 2
Legend of Dungeon
Wasteland Kings

LOVERS IN A DANGEROUS SPACETIME (

I'm going to sadly miss out on tonights meetup. I have a school function for my kids that starts at 5:30 and goes to 7:30 that I'm volunteering for, and once it's done I'm got some house work to do so I can leave for PAX tomorrow morning.

Getting a late start this morning but that's okay; we needed the sleep.

PAX Dev is going on right now, a couple of statues/displays were going/had gone up on the convention center's first floor (had to go to FedEx yesterday for a poster tube), and Primers seem to have been tricking in at a steady rate since yesterday (there was a big MtG[?] game going on in the Sheraton's lobby yesterday). All evidence points to PAX almost being here.

I'm going to sadly miss out on tonights meetup. I have a school function for my kids that starts at 5:30 and goes to 7:30 that I'm volunteering for, and once it's done I'm got some house work to do so I can leave for PAX tomorrow morning.
Sorry to hear that :whistle2:( Will you still be able to make it to the post-PAX meetup?

Speaking of which, to everyone who wants to and can come to that, please let me know!

Still super unimpressed with GroupMe, used the 'click invite link in mobile browser to migrate to the app' to join, but it's not letting me change my name (is all "must enter first and last name" when changing to a single-word username). Plus the reports of battery drain (maybe they aren't really using push notifications, but polling? ugh.)

The developers of this thing are super duper amateur hour, at any rate. I weep for my profession!

Negativity aside: wooooo PAX is almost here!

I'm still sitting at home (4 hour drive from PAX) and have way too many things to do.  I took a look at the yard and realized I need to mow before I leave otherwise the homeowners association will probably have me arrested when I come back ;).

I guess we're getting in late tonight...

I'm still sitting at home (4 hour drive from PAX) and have way too many things to do. I took a look at the yard and realized I need to mow before I leave otherwise the homeowners association will probably have me arrested when I come back ;).

I guess we're getting in late tonight...
Mow the lawn at midnight.

I have a badge for Monday so I wouldn't mind connecting with some CAGs. Gonna peep Craigslist to see if I can get a Friday or Saterday badge.

Learned new things about zenprime tonight...

He also has a new nickname, courtesy of a temporary 13-year-old buddy: Fart Snort-Chair. Or was it Snort Fart-Chair? One or the other.

I don't remember waiting this long to get in last year. We're just standing outside after being herded like a mile away and haven't moved in 15 minutes.

I guess no one is using this thread for discussion - you guys are using that app or whatever.  Problem is I can't get Wifi or 4G to work reliably at PAX.

Oh well... We had an eventful day today.  After getting lunch and watching a panel we went back to the floor and I knew something was up with my son because he wasn't interested in playing very much.  So I sat him down on one of the Nintendo area bean bag chairs and waited in line for the Mario & Luigi demo (to get the Luigi ball) and he started looking worse and worse.  Finally after waiting 45+ minutes and being right at the front of the line he told me he had to go immediately and we walked away and he proceeded to throw up.  Pro tip - the swag bags make an excellent barf bag!  Considering what they had in them this year we got better use out of it that way anyway ;).

Then we had to walk out to the train station and take the 45 minute train back to our SEATAC hotel.  He started feeling better not long after we got back and wanted me to take him to Taco Bell.  Yeah, that's the last thing I'd want to eat after being sick earlier, but he thrives on it.  Now he is even talking about going swimming.

So my conclusion is that he got food poisoning at the Subway we ate lunch at.  It was either bad cheese or bad mayo (since that's all he had on his sandwich).  And he ate nothing else all day.  So, yeah, avoid the Subway out near the Paramount theater (like a block or two from it).  I ate at the Gyro place next door so I guess I avoided the bad stuff.

Anyway, I'm glad he's feeling better so we can enjoy tomorrow a bit more hopefully.   Today was just stupid crowded in the morning but we noticed it was much better in the afternoon.  I guess it makes sense that the show floor is flooded first thing and then people disperse to different activities afterwards.

Mario and Luigi demo, free ball is that at the main Nintendo booth? A few of us went to the Last of Us Panel. Didn't have too much going on for Press stuff today. Borderlands 2 new dlc is okay but the rest of the 2k stuff is meh. Based on what I heard AC Pirate Flag is probably stuff u can see online.

Going to try to do Nintendo and check out Zelda, I want to see Watch Dogs, hotline mami 2, and Elder Scrolls. Is Watch Dogs just a gameplay video? Anyone know what swag they had?

World of Tanks has good swag and Sega has Lanyards both places have fast lines
I got other swag from pre-ordering stuff I really dislike that and the go and get stamped by certain vendors.

Ive got meetings tomorrow and I might go to the retro game roadshow and maybe the zombie game panel. Ive got lunch plans with a buddy, if you want a nice sit down lunch that's not too spendy check out the taphouse on 6th

And I really need to buy a real tablet......

io, sorry to hear about the kiddo! Food poisoning is never fun, but sounds like it wasn't super bad if he bounced back that fast. (Last time I got some I felt awful for a full 24 hours. Woo.)

Re: thread, bunch of us ended up using Twitter to coordinate, though some activity was on GroupMe (which I've banished to text messages, app itself is just bluh.) I actually checked here multiple times but had nothing specific to report, so didn't post! May try posting more updates tomorrow :)

Report for today is that it was good times, saw chunks of most parts of the con: keynote, show floor, indie megabooth, hidden-away mini-expo floor on 6th floor, panels in all 3 buildings, MOD pizza, Juicy Cafe/Rock Band, etc.

Tomorrow is mostly panels w/ less expo time. And then the Giant Bomb show  :hot:

Too much amazingness at PAX. Just way too much.

Also for those there who haven't played Titanfall yet..... Play it. Play it and enjoy its glory.

Posted some show floor game impressions in the RPG Thread. The handheld lounges and indie areas (especially the Megabooth) are still the best game demoing places at PAX, IMO.

Other than that, what bitprophet said. Also, Game Show Night was good times :)

ate a ton of food lol (instagram @p3ters)

bout to eat more before heading to fgc and inafune panels today, only to grab more food later

also upset that stussy was sold out of black De La Soul shirts in size M :cry:

So today so far has been amazing. Was one of the first 100 to get a free turtle beach headset this morning (so beautiful) and also got a free game from the playstation blogcast panel. About to get into the giant bomb panel right now. I love pax.

Too much amazingness at PAX. Just way too much.

Also for those there who haven't played Titanfall yet..... Play it. Play it and enjoy its glory.
We tried but the lines were always multiple hours.

So far we've played 1 single Xbox One game (Robocycle) and not a single PS4 game. Oh yeah, and one Wii U game (Mario 3D). Seems way less efficient than last year and much more crowded. Blargh.

We are, however, getting into the Dew XP QR code thing. I was hoping to find some info about locations and such on the web but am finding little to no info (via google and twitter). We are at 3600 points and need 4000 for the Turtle Beach headset and 250 more for the PAX 2014 tickets (though those sell out quickly each day). I just have a feeling we won't be able to find enough codes.

Anyone find any well hidden 100 or 250 pointers? I know there are a few codes at the place which has the Halo 4 competition but it was closed when we stopped by there (a guard showed us one code that we coul scan and said there were more inside).

There's a 250 on a cardboard Mountain Dew bottle on level 6 but that one is pretty easy to find. Also for titanfall honestly the wait is worth it. Worth every second. I got lucky Friday night and didn't have to wait long but I would've gladly waited 2 hours no doubt. It is SO MUCH FUN.

Talking about it makes me think I need to play it again tomorrow....

Got the Zelda shirt played a few ps3 games, played a little more PS4. Had good meetings and fun at the retro gaming roadshow panel

Tomorrow I'll try to play Titanfall, elder scrolls online, and hit the Indie booth hard
Anyone see Infamous Second Son? What about bf4?

So today so far has been amazing. Was one of the first 100 to get a free turtle beach headset this morning (so beautiful) and also got a free game from the playstation blogcast panel. About to get into the giant bomb panel right now. I love pax.
What was the free game?

bread's done
Back