Persona 4: Released and Ready 2 Play! Metacritic Score -- A Whoppin' 93!!!

The artbook is now available for pickup at some Gamestops and Gamecrazys (Gamecrazies?). I just picked mine up tonight, and the urge to look through it is almost too strong to resist.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Stop! Don't look at that art book!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8961508&publicUserId=5734288[/quote]Thanks for the info. ^ ^

Although, it is somewhat expected an art book would have spoilers as they are showing things from the game you haven't seen yet.

They do call it Atlus Spoils after all... even beyond that, Atlus has released an amazing amount of YouTube videos about the game that are beyond the normal trailers.

It's become quite a task to avoid spoilers these days. xD

So I posted this in the Deals thread as well, but I went ahead and took the plunge and pre-ordered it. I'm hoping that I get the pre-order goodies or else I'll send it back. I had a few questions that I'm hoping a few Persona vets can answer, if you all don't mind of course.

1.) If you haven't played ANY of the previous Persona games, will Persona 4 be a good fit for me?

2.) From the reviews, this game is sounding like it's going to be the next best RPG, or something like FF7. Well maybe not that great, but you get my meaning. Does this game have that kind of potential or is it all overblown hype?

3.) P3 was 100+ hours long and they are saying that P4 is either the same length or longer. Is this to complete the main quest or the main quests and side quests?

1) P3/4 are JRPGs with social aspects mixed in. Look at videos of P3. If you like what you see, you'll like P4.
2) Next best RPG? Can't say without having played the game.
3) Main quest is already really long. Side will push it over 100.

Do not believe the hype. Please.

I was uber excited for P3. Like, you have no idea how pumped up I was about the game. But I was let down. Hard.

You may just think it's the best RPG ever once you play it, but do not think it will be going into it.

P4 will be long. Don't worry about how many hours you'll get out of it. Side quests in P3 game were really integrated into the main story, so I wouldn't differentiate between them.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Do not believe the hype. Please.

I was uber excited for P3. Like, you have no idea how pumped up I was about the game. But I was let down. Hard.

You may just think it's the best RPG ever once you play it, but do not think it will be going into it.

P4 will be long. Don't worry about how many hours you'll get out of it. Side quests in P3 game were really integrated into the main story, so I wouldn't differentiate between them.[/QUOTE]

Ya getting uber excited about stuff it always lets you down. P4 will probally be similar to P3 maybe a little better or worse. P3 is one of my fav games ever.....that said though I do think many people overate it. I say pick it up. For $35 you cant go wrong. There is a very strong chance you like the game and if you dont you can probably flip it with the pre order goodies for atleast what you payed for it.

[quote name='Moxio']1) P3/4 are JRPGs with social aspects mixed in. Look at videos of P3. If you like what you see, you'll like P4.
2) Next best RPG? Can't say without having played the game.
3) Main quest is already really long. Side will push it over 100.[/quote]

I've looked at the videos and I like the art direction and the battle system. I just don't know how it plays so that's why I was asking the vets of the series. I'm glad it's long though; at least I'll get my money's worth.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Do not believe the hype. Please.

P4 will be long. Don't worry about how many hours you'll get out of it. Side quests in P3 game were really integrated into the main story, so I wouldn't differentiate between them.[/quote]

Hmm ok. I haven't actually been hyped up about it. I'm getting into RPGs a lot more recently and the JRPG genre has been capturing my attention with story lines, art, and character depth. The Persona series' instantly grabbed my attention when I read about it. I'm just looking for an RPG that is great (and yes I'm looking for epic in length and overall quality) and long. Persona seems to fit my needs in this area.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ya getting uber excited about stuff it always lets you down. P4 will probally be similar to P3 maybe a little better or worse. P3 is one of my fav games ever.....that said though I do think many people overate it. I say pick it up. For $35 you cant go wrong. There is a very strong chance you like the game and if you dont you can probably flip it with the pre order goodies for atleast what you payed for it.[/quote]

I'm hoping for the pre-order goodies more than anything to be honest. I really want to play the game, but I'm pre-ordering soley for those. If I don't get them, I'll return it for a refund and play through P3 first. I think I will like it because I have school finally coming to a close (I'm in college) and I want something to play after work that will take me a while. TV shows have all but bored me at this point and I don't have the money to buy the sports' packages to see the teams I want so I usually sit at home playing online games with my friends. However, when they are not online, I try to find an RPG to get into. So far Tales of Vesperia has done me well, but I want something else to play that's a little different.

[quote name='Pck21']I'm just looking for an RPG that is great (and yes I'm looking for epic in length and overall quality) and long. Persona seems to fit my needs in this area.[/quote]The Persona series will indeed fit you well, the quality has always been beyond impressive.

[quote name='Pck21']I'm hoping for the pre-order goodies more than anything to be honest. I really want to play the game, but I'm pre-ordering soley for those.[/quote]If you only pre-ordered the game, all you'll get is the Art Book as a bonus; the soundtrack (1st Disc) comes included regardless.

If you mean the Social Link Expansion Pack (Plush, Calendar, T-Shirt, 2nd Disc of Soundtrack) or the P4 Official Design Works, those won't come with the standard pre-order, they must be purchased seperately.

[quote name='donburns99']The Persona series will indeed fit you well, the quality has always been beyond impressive.[/quote]

Well that certainly makes me feel better. I've been playing some of these new RPGs on the 360 recently (I own both and asked for them for Xmas as well as played them at friend's houses and stuff) and I was underwhelmed in just about every area. Because of my new found fascination with RPGs though, I will play through them because I want to experience the story, good or bad.

[quote name='donburns99']If you only pre-ordered the game, all you'll get is the Art Book as a bonus; the soundtrack (1st Disc) comes included regardless.

If you mean the Social Link Expansion Pack (Plush, Calendar, T-Shirt, 2nd Disc of Soundtrack) or the P4 Official Design Works, those won't come with the standard pre-order, they must be purchased seperately.[/quote]

Nope I'm just talking about the normal pre-order stuff from Amazon only, not the Social Link Expansion Pack. I actually considered buying that one a while back but it was too much for a game I had no idea about or intention of buying at the time. Wasn't it over a $100 or something? The art book is fine enough for me because I like stuff like that.

My real dilemma with the game is "Will it last me long enough?" as well as "Can I get into the story and characters quickly?" I don't want anything too easy or even too difficult to play through. I just want a game that is beautifully done and fun to just sit, be enveloped by the story, and play through.

[quote name='Pck21']I've looked at the videos and I like the art direction and the battle system. I just don't know how it plays so that's why I was asking the vets of the series. I'm glad it's long though; at least I'll get my money's worth.[/quote]

Persona 4 will play very similar to P3. There's no need to worry about eariler games. There's similar enimies/themes/settings but totally independant story-wise.

[quote name='donburns99']The Persona series will indeed fit you well, the quality has always been beyond impressive.[/quote]

I have to disagree a little. Persona 1 (while good for it's time) just doesn't hold up well. Loading times, translation and slow combat are all major problems. The series has always been unique and beyond Persona 1 I would say they're all must plays for any JRPG fan looking for something a little diffrent & challenging.

[quote name='Pck21']Wasn't it over a $100 or something?[/quote]It was $29.99.

[quote name='Pck21']My real dilemma with the game is "Will it last me long enough?" as well as "Can I get into the story and characters quickly?" I don't want anything too easy or even too difficult to play through. I just want a game that is beautifully done and fun to just sit, be enveloped by the story, and play through.[/quote]You'll definitely be pleased. ^ ^

Perhaps even enough to get into the rest of the series. Although, playing Persona 3 FES after Persona 4 will be a step down (the games are very similar) and while it will still be fantastic, you'll probably get less out of it than if you had played FES first. But that's the downside to playing the latest and greatest and then exploring the previous titles.

[quote name='Rodimus']Persona 4 will play very similar to P3. There's no need to worry about eariler games. There's similar enimies/themes/settings but totally independant story-wise.[/quote]

Well I suppose that's good in a way. I certainly don't want to pay for a sequel to a game I haven't even played before lol. I'm intrigued by P4's story with the murder mystery aspect when compared to P3's, which was a little confusing to me...but I can't remember for the life of me why haha.

[quote name='donburns99']It was $29.99.

You'll definitely be pleased. ^ ^

Perhaps even enough to get into the rest of the series. Although, playing Persona 3 FES after Persona 4 will be a step down (the games are very similar) and while it will still be fantastic, you'll probably get less out of it than if you had played FES first. But that's the downside to playing the latest and greatest and then exploring the previous titles.[/quote]

I think what will end up happening is that I will play P3: FES first before diving into P4. I know that P4 might be a bit better than P3 (although there really is no way to know at this point is there?) but I'd like to play through that one first just for chronoligical sake. Heck I might even go insane and play them at the same time! ;)

At any rate, thank you all for answering my questions. Honestly, I ordered the game on a whim this afternoon even though I have bought WAY too much stuff for Xmas for other people so far. I'll basically be broke after this but whatever, I'll have a few games to keep me busy for a while or so it sounds.

If I can ask one more question though, what is the overall premise of the Persona series? I'm getting that it's a group of high school students who happen to have certain "personas" and also have other problems as well? Is that about right or am I just completely off? Again, I'm completely into story lines so the better the story, the better the game is to me. Hence why I went ahead and bought these games!

[quote name='Pck21'](although there really is no way to know at this point is there?)[/quote]Well, it's been out in Japan for awhile and those that played (import or otherwise) have commented on what's been updated.

[quote name='Pck21']but I'd like to play through that one first just for chronoligical sake. Heck I might even go insane and play them at the same time! ;)[/quote]If you really wanted to go nuts, there is also Persona: Revelations, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Japenese only, but you can patch it to English), all for the PSX. They may be dated, but they are all fantastic. Downside is that you'll find yourself paying $40-70 for each title if you want them legit. (I personally am still trying to acquire a physical copy of Eternal Punishment myself.)

Also, Persona: Revelations is sort of the black sheep game for Atlus, from a time where JRPG's weren't really brought to America. While they officially translated it, they removed some parts of the game and foolishly tried to mask Japan as being the USA. xD

All the PSX titles can wait though, they're easier to step down to since they are unique in their own right. At least in my opinion anyway.

Beyond that, there is the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei series, dating back to the SNES. The Persona line is just a group of sub-stories off of something much larger. So you have a lot to look into if you really begin to like the series. ^ ^

[quote name='Pck21']If I can ask one more question though, what is the overall premise of the Persona series? I'm getting that it's a group of high school students who happen to have certain "personas" and also have other problems as well? Is that about right or am I just completely off? Again, I'm completely into story lines so the better the story, the better the game is to me. Hence why I went ahead and bought these games![/quote]When they say Persona, they pretty mean the various 'masks' of the human psyche - symbolizing various personalities/lifestyles. It's basically our alter-ego's quite literally coming to life.

Each game is a little bit different in it's own right, I'd say you are better off experiencing it for yourself and finding out on your own; it's more satisfying that way. Regardless, you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='donburns99']Well, it's been out in Japan for awhile and those that played (import or otherwise) have commented on what's been updated.[/quote]

That's right, I completely forgot that it's been out in Japan for a while now. I always forget they get these games long before we do. Has anyone on this forum actually played it?

[quote name='donburns99']If you really wanted to go nuts, there is also Persona: Revelations, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Japenese only, but you can patch it to English), all for the PSX. They may be dated, but they are all fantastic. Downside is that you'll find yourself paying $40-70 for each title if you want them legit. (I personally am still trying to acquire a physical copy of Eternal Punishment myself.)

Also, Persona: Revelations is sort of the black sheep game for Atlus, from a time where JRPG's weren't really brought to America. While they officially translated it, they removed some parts of the game and foolishly tried to mask Japan as being the USA. xD

All the PSX titles can wait though, they're easier to step down to since they are unique in their own right. At least in my opinion anyway.

Beyond that, there is the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei series, dating back to the SNES. The Persona line is just a group of sub-stories off of something much larger. So you have a lot to look into if you really begin to like the series. ^ ^[/quote]

It's funny you should mention the rest of the Personas because I almost bought the reprint of Persona 2 from Amazon a few weeks back. I had it in my cart and everything; I just couldn't pull the trigger. I only know of the SMT series like Nocturne (naturally), Digital Devil, etc, but I've never actually played them. Are they like Persona story-wise or completely new games altogether? I'll read up more on the SMT series as a whole later on because now my interest is piqued. :D

[quote name='donburns99']When they say Persona, they pretty mean the various 'masks' of the human psyche - symbolizing various personalities/lifestyles. It's basically our alter-ego's quite literally coming to life.

Each game is a little bit different in it's own right, I'd say you are better off experiencing it for yourself and finding out on your own; it's more satisfying that way. Regardless, you won't be disappointed.[/quote]

Now that is what I wanted to hear! Being an English major, little nuances and themes like the human psyche intrigue me to no end. I live for that stuff and I've been looking for a game that incorporates themes like this. So far, I'm beginning to feel like I made thr right decision after all.

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain this all to me. As you can see, once I become fascinated by something, I take it to another level. I want to know anything and everything about whatever it is I'm interested by, so this plethora of information is absolutely perfect! I can't wait to finally get my hands on this series once and for all. Thanks again! :bouncy:

[quote name='Pck21']It's funny you should mention the rest of the Personas because I almost bought the reprint of Persona 2 from Amazon a few weeks back. I had it in my cart and everything; I just couldn't pull the trigger. I only know of the SMT series like Nocturne (naturally), Digital Devil, etc, but I've never actually played them. Are they like Persona story-wise or completely new games altogether? I'll read up more on the SMT series as a whole later on because now my interest is piqued. :D[/quote]I found out about the reprint a few days too late, otherwise I would have jumped on it.

Nocturne seems to be the first SMT game a lot of people come across I've noticed.

The games of the SMT series revolve around the same general idea; it's just that the different subsets of the series focus on different things.

In the Persona line, there is the RPG with the social aspect mixed in along the way.

In Nocturne you watch as Japan becomes apoctolyptic with the human world pretty much being destroyed. Due to circumstances, you manage to survive and what you do next is where the story begins.

I'll let you read up on the rest. ^ ^

[quote name='Pck21']Now that is what I wanted to hear! Being an English major, little nuances and themes like the human psyche intrigue me to no end. I live for that stuff and I've been looking for a game that incorporates themes like this. So far, I'm beginning to feel like I made thr right decision after all.[/quote]Am glad to hear that, it sounds like you'll enjoy this game a lot.

[quote name='Pck21']I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain this all to me. As you can see, once I become fascinated by something, I take it to another level. I want to know anything and everything about whatever it is I'm interested by, so this plethora of information is absolutely perfect! I can't wait to finally get my hands on this series once and for all. Thanks again! :bouncy:[/quote]No problem, enjoy.

I've played a little bit of the Japanese version of Persona 4 when it was released. It seems like Persona 3 all over again (which is a great thing).

I played enough to be sold.

[quote name='zewone']I've played a little bit of the Japanese version of Persona 4 when it was released. It seems like Persona 3 all over again (which is a great thing).

I played enough to be sold.[/quote]

That honestly makes me feel a lot better. I think I'm going to enjoy this game, probably even this series, far more than I previously thought. I'm ready to take the ride lol.

I did a little research on the SMT series by the way and I'm completely sold on it. It sounds like my type of game and I'm now just waiting for my stuff to ship and see where it all takes me. The story is more than half the journey for me so I'm liking what I read. I'm surprised that Atlus hasn't brought this series to the PS3 though...any ideas why that is?

2 things that you must like to like Persona

1. Can you grind and do so on the same or similar enemies? Much of Persona is grinding similar enemies to level up your many different Personas. Persona is less about your level and more about the Personas you have on hand and exploiting enemy weakness?

2. Are you ok with talking to NPCs and doing some things not directly related to the plot? Part of the way to build your power(a very important way if you dont want to double your grinding)is by talking to NPCs and the rare playable character to build relations which effect your Persona power and level.

If these 2 things are ok by you then you should enjoy Persona. Persona 3 also requires a taste for dungeon crawling since you will be power leveling in the same randomly determined dungeon a lot. Think they might have gotten rid of that in P4.

[quote name='Pck21']I'm surprised that Atlus hasn't brought this series to the PS3 though...any ideas why that is?[/quote]If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Also, SMT is a niche series and many of it's followers are PS2 owners. On top of that, the PS2 currently still has a greater overall user base than the PS3 has. Moving to the PS3 at this point in time would most likely limit sales for Atlus.

[quote name='MSI Magus']2 things that you must like to like Persona

1. Can you grind and do so on the same or similar enemies? Much of Persona is grinding similar enemies to level up your many different Personas. Persona is less about your level and more about the Personas you have on hand and exploiting enemy weakness?

2. Are you ok with talking to NPCs and doing some things not directly related to the plot? Part of the way to build your power(a very important way if you dont want to double your grinding)is by talking to NPCs and the rare playable character to build relations which effect your Persona power and level.

If these 2 things are ok by you then you should enjoy Persona. Persona 3 also requires a taste for dungeon crawling since you will be power leveling in the same randomly determined dungeon a lot. Think they might have gotten rid of that in P4.[/quote]

1.) I don't mind grinding...to an extent. If it's to level up and get to that next level to either move the game along or thicken the plot, then I'm ok with it. Fighting the same enemies does become boring for me but it depends on the game. If I'm fighting the same enemies, but I'm able to find different ways to defeat them, then I'm all for it. It's like a brain game to me at that point.

2.) I LOVE talking to NPCs. I'm probably the only person but I like seeing what other characters offer to the game. If it means going on side quests, I love it more.

[quote name='donburns99']If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Also, SMT is a niche series and many of it's followers are PS2 owners. On top of that, the PS2 currently still has a greater overall user base than the PS3 has. Moving to the PS3 at this point in time would most likely limit sales for Atlus.[/quote]

Ahh ok, that makes a lot more sense. Well in that case, they should just keep it on the PS2 until they can build a good foundation on the PS3. My mind begins to explode as I think about the endless things to do with this type of game and the PS3...wow.

Is the Persona series a good one to start out with if you haven't played the rest of the SMT series like Digital Devil Summoner and so on? I've heard that Nocturne is brutally difficult but rewarding.

[quote name='Pck21']Ahh ok, that makes a lot more sense. Well in that case, they should just keep it on the PS2 until they can build a good foundation on the PS3.[/quote]I agree, that's what I think they're doing.

[quote name='Pck21']Is the Persona series a good one to start out with if you haven't played the rest of the SMT series like Digital Devil Summoner and so on? I've heard that Nocturne is brutally difficult but rewarding.[/quote]Persona is a very good series to start out with, it's more relaxed than the rest thanks to the social part of the game. P3 FES is the one that I got the girlfriend hooked on and now she loves the series.

You can't go wrong with whatever you choose, Nocturne is the one I see most people recommend to others, but Persona would be much more of a gentle push in the right direction.

I personally started with Persona: Revelations back when it came out and forgot about the series until Nocturne and Persona 3 popped up.

[quote name='donburns99']
Persona is a very good series to start out with, it's more relaxed than the rest thanks to the social part of the game. P3 FES is the one that I got the girlfriend hooked on and now she loves the series.

You can't go wrong with whatever you choose, Nocturne is the one I see most people recommend to others, but Persona would be much more of a gentle push in the right direction.

I personally started with Persona: Revelations back when it came out and forgot about the series until Nocturne and Persona 3 popped up.[/quote]

Ok well now I'm just stoked that I made this purchase lol. This may sound a bit weird and even completely off, but does the Persona series resemble the Phoenix Wright series in terms of social interactions and what not? I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm trying to explain it to my gf who likes the Phoenix Wright games, which is what she calls "the lawyer game," but I can't seem to come up witha comparison for her.

So has the Persona series ever been mentioned as going online at anytime? I'm thinking along the lines of .dot Hack or something. It seems like it would be a good fit with the social interaction.

[quote name='Pck21']Ok well now I'm just stoked that I made this purchase lol. This may sound a bit weird and even completely off, but does the Persona series resemble the Phoenix Wright series in terms of social interactions and what not? I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm trying to explain it to my gf who likes the Phoenix Wright games, which is what she calls "the lawyer game," but I can't seem to come up witha comparison for her.[/quote]I wouldn't know. Girlfriend also loves the Phoenix Wright series, but I never got into many of the DS games personally.

You get to join various school clubs, go out on dates, hang out with friends, etc.

[quote name='Pck21']So has the Persona series ever been mentioned as going online at anytime? I'm thinking along the lines of .dot Hack or something. It seems like it would be a good fit with the social interaction.[/quote]
Just received this email today:

smtimagine_topart_closedbetainvitation.jpg

smtimagine_featureart_1.jpg

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Attention, Atlus Faithful member! You have been hand-picked to receive a rather awesome treat. Our friends at Aeria Games have provided us with a limited number of closed beta invitations to SMT: Imagine Online. Please look below for your special closed beta registration key, which will grant you exclusive access! Another Atlus Faithful perk, courtesy of our friends at Aeria games![/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Here's a link to the website: Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online

[quote name='Pck21']1.) I don't mind grinding...to an extent. If it's to level up and get to that next level to either move the game along or thicken the plot, then I'm ok with it. Fighting the same enemies does become boring for me but it depends on the game. If I'm fighting the same enemies, but I'm able to find different ways to defeat them, then I'm all for it. It's like a brain game to me at that point.

2.) I LOVE talking to NPCs. I'm probably the only person but I like seeing what other characters offer to the game. If it means going on side quests, I love it more.

Ahh ok, that makes a lot more sense. Well in that case, they should just keep it on the PS2 until they can build a good foundation on the PS3. My mind begins to explode as I think about the endless things to do with this type of game and the PS3...wow.

Is the Persona series a good one to start out with if you haven't played the rest of the SMT series like Digital Devil Summoner and so on? I've heard that Nocturne is brutally difficult but rewarding.[/QUOTE]

If you love talking to NPCs you will love this game. It goes on a Monday-Sunday routine just like real life. Each day you can only do so many activities with your character and one of them is going out on a date with an NPC to raise your relationship with them. Answering their questions in the way they want to hear will further up their feelings towards you. At certain points their feelings will reach a new level and the Tarot Card representing them will go up a level. When you summon a new Persona it will have a Tarot symbol attatched to it so if you have powered up the social level that Persona will be at a higher level then normal. This greatly reduces the grind of the game. So for instance lets say you summon a Persona named Alice who is the Death Tarot symbol and you have a level 5 friendship with the NPC with the death tarot then you will gain a higher percet based on that 5%. If Alice would normally be level 45 then she might be like lvl 52 if your death tarot friendship is at max.

Since you like talking to NPCs this should be great for you!

[quote name='donburns99']I wouldn't know. Girlfriend also loves the Phoenix Wright series, but I never got into many of the DS games personally.

You get to join various school clubs, go out on dates, hang out with friends, etc.

Just received this email today:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Attention, Atlus Faithful member! You have been hand-picked to receive a rather awesome treat. Our friends at Aeria Games have provided us with a limited number of closed beta invitations to SMT: Imagine Online. Please look below for your special closed beta registration key, which will grant you exclusive access! Another Atlus Faithful perk, courtesy of our friends at Aeria games![/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Here's a link to the website: Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online[/quote]

Well I just signed up and joined to see if I can get in that beta as well. I'm completely speechless right now lol.

[quote name='MSI Magus']If you love talking to NPCs you will love this game. It goes on a Monday-Sunday routine just like real life. Each day you can only do so many activities with your character and one of them is going out on a date with an NPC to raise your relationship with them. Answering their questions in the way they want to hear will further up their feelings towards you. At certain points their feelings will reach a new level and the Tarot Card representing them will go up a level. When you summon a new Persona it will have a Tarot symbol attatched to it so if you have powered up the social level that Persona will be at a higher level then normal. This greatly reduces the grind of the game. So for instance lets say you summon a Persona named Alice who is the Death Tarot symbol and you have a level 5 friendship with the NPC with the death tarot then you will gain a higher percet based on that 5%. If Alice would normally be level 45 then she might be like lvl 52 if your death tarot friendship is at max.

Since you like talking to NPCs this should be great for you![/quote]

Yea I'm really looking forward to this game now. I'm checking to see if it has shipped yet but so far it's just preparing for shipment. When it comes though...I don't think I'll go outside for a while haha.

This is awesome. Amazon shipped mine yesterday. Should get it on the 9th. Too bad I'm working everyday till Christmas Eve. I'd like to just spend an entire day playing this.

Here's to the last great PS2 game :beer: Let's go out with a bang.

[quote name='Rodimus']This is awesome. Amazon shipped mine yesterday. Should get it on the 9th. Too bad I'm working everyday till Christmas Eve. I'd like to just spend an entire day playing this.

Here's to the last great PS2 game :beer: Let's go out with a bang.[/quote]

Cheers to that! :beer:

I hear ya man! I just want to be done with classes so I can sit down and play this thing. I hope you get enough time from the 9th to Xmas to play this!

So, here's a dumb question...I think I'm getting P3: FES for Xmas but I'm not sure. Should I wait to play P3 before I play P4 or wll it matter? I just don't want to ruin the experience or nuance of P4 is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any changes to fusion system? I loved P3 except for spending hours on just the right fusions. No I refuse to use guides or faqs so that's not an option.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Anyone know what day gamestop will be getting these? Assuming Tuesday, since it's shipping tomorrow.[/quote]From what I've seen, Gamestop seems to get games the day after release. So I'd say Wednesday. I'm sure if you give them a call, they'd let you know.

If you know it's shipping Monday, then they'll probably get them Tuesday.

I've also seen cases where they get the game on release day, but in the second shipment they receive, generally around 6pm.

[quote name='Rodimus']Here's to the last great PS2 game :beer: Let's go out with a bang.[/quote]

Well metacritic has it at a 97 so far aka the highest rated PS2 game EVER. And when you read the reviews it seems like it deserves it.

:applause:

A reminder for those who care about that sorta thing, and missed it earlier:

DO NOT READ THE AWESOME PREORDER ARTBOOK. ADMIRE THE PRETTY, MESMERIZINGLY YELLOW COVER UNTIL YOU BEAT THE GAME 100 SHOCKINGLY SHORT HOURS LATER. THAT IS ALL.

Both contain MASSIVE spoilers. Really, the only reason I've revealed the small details I have in my previews and reviews is because it's my job to dispense information about the game. The game is good. Do not read about it. Play it. That is all.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8961508&publicUserId=5734288

[quote name='Pck21']So, here's a dumb question...I think I'm getting P3: FES for Xmas but I'm not sure. Should I wait to play P3 before I play P4 or wll it matter? I just don't want to ruin the experience or nuance of P4 is all.[/quote]
From what I've heard, the stories are completely separate, with only a few minor character crossovers. Both games run on the same engine so the gameplay experiences should be very similar. P4 is supposedly more difficult but also has some tweaks to make things faster/smoother.

And I'll bet we haven't seen the last of the PS2 just yet. :)

I would play P3 before 4 just because going backwards in a series like this is often tough since you'll feel like you're missing all of the improvements. For example in 4 you control all of your characters, in 3 you don't. Playing 3 this may not be a big deal, but if you've already played 4 it may become frustrating in 3.

So if you plan to play both I'd say 3 first just because it will probably seem worse after 4. That said if you don't want to spend 200 hours playing both just play 4, the stories won't be connected.

Or spend 200 hours playing 4 twice since you won't get everything the first time (if you're a completionist)

[quote name='happy']I would play P3 before 4 just because going backwards in a series like this is often tough since you'll feel like you're missing all of the improvements. For example in 4 you control all of your characters, in 3 you don't. Playing 3 this may not be a big deal, but if you've already played 4 it may become frustrating in 3.

So if you plan to play both I'd say 3 first just because it will probably seem worse after 4. That said if you don't want to spend 200 hours playing both just play 4, the stories won't be connected.

Or spend 200 hours playing 4 twice since you won't get everything the first time (if you're a completionist)[/QUOTE]

I would LOVE to be a completionist but I'm too busy to even attempt to do so lol. I heard that P4 also had computer controlled characters just like P3 but maybe I read it wrong. I think I'll be forced to play P4 first since I asked for P3 for Xmas haha. Thanks for the info though!

I've heard of people actually getting their shipments already. If you have, can you share your experience with the game thus far? No spoilers or anything, just initial impressions.

Am I the only one who likes the AI control in P3 and plans to leave it enabled in P4? I love how quickly the battles move with only having to select one action per turn.

Holy fucking shit my package just came. First off the art book was actually in pretty good condition and damn nice for a $35 game but second its suprising as shit that I got it today given I used super saver shipping. Only bitch I have is that while the art book is nice the game itself is just your basic PS2 game....I thought it was going to be like Persona 3 where it would come in a nice display case again.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Holy fucking shit my package just came. First off the art book was actually in pretty good condition and damn nice for a $35 game but second its suprising as shit that I got it today given I used super saver shipping. Only bitch I have is that while the art book is nice the game itself is just your basic PS2 game....I thought it was going to be like Persona 3 where it would come in a nice display case again.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear the art book was worth it! Have you played the game yet?

[quote name='Pck21']I'm glad to hear the art book was worth it! Have you played the game yet?[/QUOTE]

Nah, ill probably be waiting. My mother in law is getting me the social link pack for Christmas so I figured I would wait and play it when I get that. I also just started Suikoden V yesterday and when my 360 comes back form repairs I will continue ToV which I was halfway through when my 360 RRoDed.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Nah, ill probably be waiting. My mother in law is getting me the social link pack for Christmas so I figured I would wait and play it when I get that. I also just started Suikoden V yesterday and when my 360 comes back form repairs I will continue ToV which I was halfway through when my 360 RRoDed.[/QUOTE]

Ouch dude! Well at least you can get back to ToV I suppose...

bread's done
Back