Persona 4: Released and Ready 2 Play! Metacritic Score -- A Whoppin' 93!!!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Nah, ill probably be waiting. My mother in law is getting me the social link pack for Christmas so I figured I would wait and play it when I get that. I also just started Suikoden V yesterday and when my 360 comes back form repairs I will continue ToV which I was halfway through when my 360 RRoDed.[/quote]

Suikoden V is excellent! Almost good as II! Although many people complain about the slow start but I really like the slow pace at the beginning. It help build it up.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Holy fucking shit my package just came. First off the art book was actually in pretty good condition and damn nice for a $35 game but second its suprising as shit that I got it today given I used super saver shipping. Only bitch I have is that while the art book is nice the game itself is just your basic PS2 game....I thought it was going to be like Persona 3 where it would come in a nice display case again.[/QUOTE]

Where are you located? It seems like all of the P4's shipped from Philadelphia.

[quote name='Moxio']Where are you located? It seems like all of the P4's shipped from Philadelphia.[/quote]My game, design works and expansion pack all came from New Castle, DE, US.

[quote name='Moxio']Where are you located? It seems like all of the P4's shipped from Philadelphia.[/QUOTE]

Yea that's where mine shipped from too. Then it went to Maryland and now it's in Kentucky. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be taking a early winter break vacation if you ask me.

I just got a robo-call from GS telling me I can pick up my copy this afternoon. Sweet, glad I planned ahead and got some leave from work tomorrow.
Still got the last third of a term paper to write, though.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Am I the only one who likes the AI control in P3 and plans to leave it enabled in P4? I love how quickly the battles move with only having to select one action per turn.[/quote]

No, you are not alone. I think it was competent for the most part in P3, though there were some hiccups that nearly got me wiped out. As for P4, I'll be starting it with AI set to on as well.

is the art book worth paying an extra $18

its $53 shipped from pay asia but i ordered it on amazon for $35 but it says it wont ship until december 15th, almost certainly the second shipment. if you already have the artbook, after seeing it, would you pay $18 for it if it didnt come free? stupid question i guess.

[quote name='dracula']is the art book worth paying an extra $18

its $53 shipped from pay asia but i ordered it on amazon for $35 but it says it wont ship until december 15th, almost certainly the second shipment. if you already have the artbook, after seeing it, would you pay $18 for it if it didnt come free? stupid question i guess.[/quote]Why pay $18 for the art book when you can get it free with the pre-order?

Especially when your Amazon order already contains the art book.

[quote name='dracula']is the art book worth paying an extra $18

its $53 shipped from pay asia but i ordered it on amazon for $35 but it says it wont ship until december 15th, almost certainly the second shipment. if you already have the artbook, after seeing it, would you pay $18 for it if it didnt come free? stupid question i guess.[/quote]
When exactly did you order from Amazon? Up to and including yesterday, if you ordered P4 you will definitely get the artbook, even if the shipment is delayed until after the release date.

Judging by other recent Atlus releases, you may still get the preorder bonus if you order in the first few days after the release date. (It's not like they burn any extra preorder bonuses, they just keep sending them with new orders until they run out, however long that takes. R-Type Command is still shipping with its preorder bonus apparently.) If you ordered today, my guess is you would almost certainly get the artbook.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']When exactly did you order from Amazon? Up to and including yesterday, if you ordered P4 you will definitely get the artbook, even if the shipment is delayed until after the release date.

Judging by other recent Atlus releases, you may still get the preorder bonus if you order in the first few days after the release date. (It's not like they burn any extra preorder bonuses, they just keep sending them with new orders until they run out, however long that takes. R-Type Command is still shipping with its preorder bonus apparently.) If you ordered today, my guess is you would almost certainly get the artbook.[/QUOTE]

you just made my day.

About an hour in and it's okay so far. Not really liking the voices as much as Persona 3 as these sound a bit off, especially Chie.

Also like playing it on my PS3 with Fullscreen enabled. It doesn't really look like it stretches the image and I prefer it to the 4:3 traditional view. The animated cutscenes looks pretty much perfect too in this mode.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am in Toledo Ohio area. Didnt pay attention to where the package shipped from.[/quote]

So am I.

I picked this up too with the Strat guide (prob won't use it though).

Mine also shipped from Philly, I was hoping to get it today but it didn't show. Doesn't really matter since I have to work.

I did look for a guide today, infact I had quite an adventure. I went to 5 diffrent GS and came to understand that they're hard as hell to find (at least around me.) I should've saved the hassle and just ordered it from Amazon w/ my game. Each store I went to only got one or didn't get any. Long story short I finally found one. I'll post impressions once I get a chance to look through it. But it's much thinner than I expected it to be.

[quote name='bjstucker']So am I.

I picked this up too with the Strat guide (prob won't use it though).[/QUOTE]

You suck being in Toledo and not having a CML!

And heres a question for those of you with everything. How does the social XPack pack work? Its not like the PS2 has a hard drive to load the info to.

[quote name='MSI Magus']You suck being in Toledo and not having a CML!

And heres a question for those of you with everything. How does the social XPack pack work? Its not like the PS2 has a hard drive to load the info to.[/quote]

It's not an addendum to the game, just a bonus calendar, plushie, tshirt, and soundtrack.

[quote name='thelonepig']It's not an addendum to the game, just a bonus calendar, plushie, tshirt, and soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

Ah since it was called social link Xpack I assumed it would actually be.....well an Xpack.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ah since it was called social link Xpack I assumed it would actually be.....well an Xpack.[/quote]It's more of an expansion pack of swag. In a way, I guess an expansion pack to your real life social link. xD

I personally can't justify the latter, but I'm all for the former. ^ ^

Mine actually shipped from Indianapolis.

[quote name='Moxio']Someone type up a mini-review, daymit! >:^$[/quote]

Teddie is awesome. That. is. all.

Anyways, voices aren't quite as good as Persona 3 in my opinion. Chie to me is the biggest offender but some really do sound absolutely fine. Of course it's all personal preference.

It's been a while so I don't remember the exact specifics in battle in Persona 3. However I do remember there was a 'extra attack' you get for attacking an enemies weak point. Before I think it could be used over and over, but this time it only allows an extra attack the first time. My first couple battles were about an hour and a half into the game, both of which were solo but not difficult. Although you could die at the second one if you weren't observant or careful, but it wasn't hard. I still can't open the menu yet so I can't comment on stuff in there, although I should be able to very soon. Everything so far is pretty similar to Persona 3 though.

The story itself so far started out a little slow. You're a transfer student from the city into the middle of nowhere. However not too long after you arrive someone dies and it begins to pick up about an hour in or so as you're just thrown into the fray of things. Saying anymore and it's spoilers, so I'll leave it at that. It's pretty interesting to say the least once you're about two hours in and really makes me want to play more.

You also get a lot of choices in dialogue, which is nice. I don't remember anywhere near this many from Persona 3. It's particularly nice and the responses seem to be all voiced for the most part. Sometimes if you answer in a particular way, you'll get an increase in a particular area. Knowledge is one just like Persona 3, but I think Understanding is a new one that I've hit on a couple times already.

Haven't had a chance to touch social links yet and I assume they're in the game like Persona 3. Though the characters I've met so far are fairly interesting so long as you can bypass any voice overs that may feel out of place to you.

Oh and so far I think I've seen around 5 animated cutscenes. Hopefully this trend continues into the game.

[quote name='Moxio']Whew! Load off my mind. :cool:[/quote]
Direct and straight to the point. Can one really ask for more? ;)

When I first saw Teddie my eyes rolled. Is he really that awesome? Cause he looks utterly ridiculous. I know he's some kinda plush toy but I can't get over how unappealling a character he is at first glance.

I skipped through the guide and didn't noticed Thor on the list of personas. To me that's very disapointing cause he's always been my favorite.

[quote name='Rodimus']When I first saw Teddie my eyes rolled. Is he really that awesome? Cause he looks utterly ridiculous. I know he's some kinda plush toy but I can't get over how unappealling a character he is at first glance.

I skipped through the guide and didn't noticed Thor on the list of personas. To me that's very disapointing cause he's always been my favorite.[/quote]

Well I knew he was apart of the game for to begin with from pictures and such and was like, "Really...?" Then I started playing and met Teddie. After a little bit Teddie started forming a personality and it's been pretty cool so far as a character. Of course I could easily be let down, but I've enjoyed his lines so far.

Maybe the fact that he's so utterly ridiculous is the reason that I think he's so awesome.

Reviews have particularly praised the voice-acting for Teddie, stating it has been a huge factor in keeping him likeable instead of annoying.

I haven't played the game yet so I base my opnions of Teddie purely through first impressions. I would be over joyed to find out that he's acctuably a likable character. In P3 I thought I was gonna hate Ken but ended up liking him. Hopfully that's the case here.

The real question is can you build a social link with teddy? Or is it like the dog that you just take for a walk.

got my guide today! man for a game that's supposed to be bigger than the predecessor they managed to make the guidebook smaller

o_O

anyway, amazon delivery estimate friday, but I wont have time until sunday TT_TT

I like a smaller Doublejump guide. Those Disgaea guides are too big and it's full of useless info. All you really need is level and item formulas. Those huge Disgaea guides tend to break more frequent then their other guides due to page count. It's spine is too small to support it, as result the pages will fall apart.

As long as it cover main story and sidequests well, I don't mind a smaller guide.

These small guides have uber tiny text. But at least it's not big and clunky like normal guides. It can sit on my lap while I play without being annoying.

I heard that Chie's voice actor sounds too old at times.

IGN review: 9.0

Got mine from gamestop from a preorder and they "didn't have any more art books" though there were 2 behind the counter. You think atlus will send me one if I email them like they did with the nocturne soundtrack.

[quote name='cindersphere']Got mine from gamestop from a preorder and they "didn't have any more art books" though there were 2 behind the counter. You think atlus will send me one if I email them like they did with the nocturne soundtrack.[/quote]...did you mention to them that there were 2 behind the counter? It's not like they can say they're reserved for pre-orders.. since that what you were there for.

[quote name='cindersphere']The manager explicitly told me they were his.[/quote]That's lame... well there is another reason to not pre-order at places like that... the employees, or in this case the manager, can just swipe them for themselves.

It's possible they actually were his, but I'd find it hard to believe that the manager pre-ordered two and the store only received enough to cover his. :roll:

Sorry to hear that happened, it seems to be a common problem with Gamestop and similar branches.

I don't usually pick up orders with GS if they 'ran out' of a preorder gift. I haven't had that problem in a while though, the employees are usually really cool. I have an extra art book I might be willing to part with if Atlus doesn't work out.

I have barely gotten through the beginning.. I guess I remember this from Persona 3, but wow.. it's well over an hour in before I feel like I am doing anything.
I don't mine Chie's voice, but for some reason Nanako's gets on my nerves.

I just got to the point where you can first access the menu (did Atlus run out of green triangle button icons?). Really digging the menu design, pretty slick. The game does start out pretty slow, but I'm loving every minute of it. About the VA, I personally like it a lot so far but I can see how some people would be less forgiving. Only problem I have with it is that Chie doesn't use contractions often. I guess that's more of an issue with the writers rather than the VAs.

[quote name='squid']...for some reason Nanako's gets on my nerves.[/quote]

But she's so cute! Especially when she's singing that Junes jingle.

Does anybody know where I can find the track listing and artist info to the soundtrack CD that came with P4? I know it's printed on the back of the P4 manual, but I'm trying to find it someplace where I can just quickly copy and paste the info into my music player instead of typing it by hand.

[quote name='eau']Those T-shirts are hot! :hot: Where did you get them?

It's cool that P4 comes with a soundtrack CD too.[/quote]
I got one from Gamestop! A few months back when they were doing pre-orders.

[quote name='squid']I don't usually pick up orders with GS if they 'ran out' of a preorder gift. I haven't had that problem in a while though, the employees are usually really cool. I have an extra art book I might be willing to part with if Atlus doesn't work out.

I have barely gotten through the beginning.. I guess I remember this from Persona 3, but wow.. it's well over an hour in before I feel like I am doing anything.
I don't mine Chie's voice, but for some reason Nanako's gets on my nerves.[/quote]
Yeah one of the GS are crap and I reserved it there cause it was closer. Thanks for the offer. I will see what they say. Hopefully it is good news from them.

[quote name='Rodimus']I heard that Chie's voice actor sounds too old at times.[/quote]

That's pretty much my peeve with her voice actor. When I first heard her, I immediately thought the voice sounded way too old for her.

EDIT: Also, I thought people would like to know that when you enter the "other world" in this game, it's actually looks like it is made to work with 3D glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BlueSwim']Does anybody know where I can find the track listing and artist info to the soundtrack CD that came with P4? I know it's printed on the back of the P4 manual, but I'm trying to find it someplace where I can just quickly copy and paste the info into my music player instead of typing it by hand.[/QUOTE]
You've never heard of CDDB? I'm sure there's plenty of other programs that use it, I use CDex. You just put in the CD, click a button, and it retrieves the artist, album, and track names from a server somewhere.

Also, for those who care:
P3 Hero = Minato Arisato
P4 Hero = Seta Souji

[quote name='donburns99']That's lame... well there is another reason to not pre-order at places like that... the employees, or in this case the manager, can just swipe them for themselves.

It's possible they actually were his, but I'd find it hard to believe that the manager pre-ordered two and the store only received enough to cover his. :roll:

Sorry to hear that happened, it seems to be a common problem with Gamestop and similar branches.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned earlier here about how a guy at gamestop was loading this woman who he was flirting with kid up with free swag that was supposed to be for pre orders. Well what I didnt mention was the guy also bragged to her about how she shouldnt think its anything special because he just ebays most of it anyways. He also told me sorry dude I bought them all my self and resold them already when I asked if they had any of the penny guides left in the back.

[quote name='Draekon']EDIT: Also, I thought people would like to know that when you enter the "other world" in this game, it's actually looks like it is made to work with 3D glasses.[/quote]

Awesome, I just got a pair with a Transformers comic, so what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

Kinda off topic but I received the Japanese version of Persona 2: Innocent Sin the other day. I'm gonna try and figure out a way to get the translation patch to work on it, and play it off my Playstation 2. I suck at this stuff but hopefully I can do it.

Anyone else having issues with this game playing? I have a small ps2 and I tried three copies of this game and they all say "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc."

I even purchased a brand new ps2 system (the newer model ones from the past few months) and it still says the same thing. At least I was able to return the system. I find it odd that it happened with three copies in a row. Maybe my store got a bad batch of games?

[quote name='Rodimus']Awesome, I just got a pair with a Transformers comic, so what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

Kinda off topic but I received the Japanese version of Persona 2: Innocent Sin the other day. I'm gonna try and figure out a way to get the translation patch to work on it, and play it off my Playstation 2. I suck at this stuff but hopefully I can do it.[/quote]If you need any help, just send a PM. Be sure to include if you have a fat/slim and a import PS2/mod chip/slide card/flip top also.

[quote name='movieman2742']Anyone else having issues with this game playing? I have a small ps2 and I tried three copies of this game and they all say "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc."

I even purchased a brand new ps2 system (the newer model ones from the past few months) and it still says the same thing. At least I was able to return the system. I find it odd that it happened with three copies in a row. Maybe my store got a bad batch of games?[/quote]Hmm, I was going to recommend cleaning the laser eye, but you also tried it on a new PS2...

How odd, you could go to your local game store and see if they'll test it on one of their systems. I'd say it's more likely your PS2 is shot and you purchased a bad PS2, than the store getting a bad batch of games. You never know though.

I just picked this up. I'm new to the series but it looked really cool and seems to be reviewing very well. My only concern is whether or not this will work on my PS3. I have one of the 80gb systems that had the backwards compatibility neutered. It has the emotion engine and for the most part I've had limited issues. But I haven't been able to find anything anywhere that has indicated whether this title was going to work for me. Just wondering what your experiences have been. Thanks!

[quote name='Rodimus']From what I understand Teddie is not one of the Social Links. In fact I think he's the only team member who is not.[/quote]

He's a social link or so says the guide. It is:
The Star

bread's done
Back