Persona 4: Released and Ready 2 Play! Metacritic Score -- A Whoppin' 93!!!

[quote name='Draekon']He's a social link or so says the guide. It is:
The Star
[/quote]

You're right he is. He's one that upgrades automaticlly through the story, kinda like the creepy little kid in P3. I just read the guide wrong.

[quote name='Draekon']He's a social link or so says the guide. It is:
The Star
[/quote]Hmm, off-topic, but why do spoilers show in email notifications? The idea works wonderfully on the forums, but it shows the text as normal in the email. :whistle2:s

Don't mean to double post but I didn't want my question to get lost at the bottom of the page.

Does this work on PS3? I have an 80gb with limited backwards compatibility. Sony's site is no help so I was wondering if anyone here tried. Thanks guys!!

[quote name='RynoZebz']Don't mean to double post but I didn't want my question to get lost at the bottom of the page.

Does this work on PS3? I have an 80gb with limited backwards compatibility. Sony's site is no help so I was wondering if anyone here tried. Thanks guys!![/quote]Check the GameSpot forums. I tend to notice a lot of threads about PS3 compatibility when it comes to PS2 games that have been release recently.

Here's a specific thread from there that may help.

Edit: And here's another thread.

Edit #2: And another thread, mentioning bad discs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, man. These are my main video game forums. Google failed me for the most part. I appreciate the help!

I'm scared to open this game because of how epic and time consuming it might be come lol. I have the 60GB so it should work play the game fine right?

[quote name='Pck21']I'm scared to open this game because of how epic and time consuming it might be come lol. I have the 60GB so it should work play the game fine right?[/quote]Best way to find out is to try.

Played for about three hours these last 2 days and this game is really fun. I like the whole
my guardian is a detective and this seems like a supernatural mystery. But seriously that Junes song is going to get annoying.

[quote name='Pck21']I'm scared to open this game because of how epic and time consuming it might be come lol. I have the 60GB so it should work play the game fine right?[/quote]

Playing the game fine so far on my 60GB.

[quote name='movieman2742']Anyone else having issues with this game playing? I have a small ps2 and I tried three copies of this game and they all say "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc."

I even purchased a brand new ps2 system (the newer model ones from the past few months) and it still says the same thing. At least I was able to return the system. I find it odd that it happened with three copies in a row. Maybe my store got a bad batch of games?[/quote]
It seems some people are having this trouble someone complained about this on the atlus forums and the gamefaqs forums so you might need to go where you got it and exchange it for another one and hopefully it's a good one.

[quote name='Draekon']Playing the game fine so far on my 60GB.[/quote]

My 60GB won't read it so far. :( Do I need to exchange it then?

EDIT: I've tried it multiple times and my PS3 won't recognize the disc. I can put it in all of my other PS2 and PS3 games and they read just fine. Do I contact Amazon for a replacement?

Edit #2: I checked the disc to see if anything appeared wrong with it and there does seem to be an inconsistency around the edges. On the clear edges themselves are small bumps that are scattered throughout. Does anyone else have these "rough" bumps on their game disc or does my disc the only one to have herpes?

Edit #3: I feel stupid. I was putting in the music CD, not the game DVD. Awesome. Crisis averted!

Last edited by a moderator:
Near the end of the first dungeon. How could this game do so many little things wrong that 3 did right? All gameplay-related:
  • When doing a triple fusion, you still have to scroll past Personas you've already selected, instead of automatically skipping them because theres no reason you should ever need to select them.
  • You have to buy an item to go back to the bottom of the dungeon instead of using a warp.
  • You no longer get healed on the ground floor. Old news, but I like to get a lot of fighting done at once without having to go back to the adventure part of the game.
  • Enemies detect you even if you sneak up behind them, which means you usually don't get the bonus for hitting them first.
  • The item menu no longer shows the description of items/equipment etc. at all times, you have to push a button to see it, which pushes other things off the screen.
  • They got rid of the experience, money, and health boosts from the post-battle shuffle. This one pisses me off the most. Really takes the fun out of grinding.
  • On top of that, picking the wrong shuffle card loses your experience, yen and items. This would be fine if the rewards were greater, but I certainly can skip an Apsaras if it means keeping my exp.
  • You have to waste time stopping and opening doors around the dungeon, slowing the pace of the game.

Like I said, these are small, but they're all definitely steps back from P3. Also, I now feel stupid for depending P3's teammate AI. I'm convinced they made the AI dumber in P4, as my teammates now use wind even when they know the enemy is strong to wind. SEES would never pull that shit.

Anyone know how skipping floors works? Do they always let you return to the last floor you reached, or do they only let you return to boss floors?

Also: the music is great, but we'll see how I feel after hour 50.

[quote name='pete5883']Near the end of the first dungeon. How could this game do so many little things wrong that 3 did right? All gameplay-related:

• You have to buy an item to go back to the bottom of the dungeon instead of using a warp.
  • You no longer get healed on the ground floor. Old news, but I like to get a lot of fighting done at once without having to go back to the adventure part of the game.
  • Enemies detect you even if you sneak up behind them, which means you usually don't get the bonus for hitting them first.

Like I said, these are small, but they're all definitely steps back from P3. Also, I now feel stupid for depending P3's teammate AI. I'm convinced they made the AI dumber in P4, as my teammates now use wind even when they know the enemy is strong to wind. SEES would never pull that shit.

Anyone know how skipping floors works? Do they always let you return to the last floor you reached, or do they only let you return to boss floors?

Also: the music is great, but we'll see how I feel after hour 50.[/quote]

These I actually think will help, I always felt cheap being able to go on the last day of the month and do all my fighting, it will force more planning in terms of dungeon usage (how many days can you afford to go) and being more careful in battle (health takes on new value). May actually inspire me to use items in an rpg, which is rare (with the exception of revival before a spell becomes available).

[quote name='pete5883']You've never heard of CDDB? I'm sure there's plenty of other programs that use it, I use CDex. You just put in the CD, click a button, and it retrieves the artist, album, and track names from a server somewhere.

Also, for those who care:
P3 Hero = Minato Arisato
P4 Hero = Seta Souji[/quote]

I use that service all the time!:lol: But unfortunately, the Windows Media Player and Zune databases don't have any info for the bonus CD at the moment. I'm not the fastest typist in the world so I was trying to a quicker way of getting things done.:lol:

I'm glad to finally know what their real names are. That's been driving me crazy!

[quote name='BlueSwim']
I use that service all the time!:lol: But unfortunately, the Windows Media Player and Zune databases don't have any info for the bonus CD at the moment. I'm not the fastest typist in the world so I was trying to a quicker way of getting things done.:lol:

I'm glad to finally know what their real names are. That's been driving me crazy!
[/QUOTE]
Well CDex found the tracks for me, no problem.

It seems there are other prizes from Shuffle Time other than Persona, but looks like its very rare (and has its own set of punishments.)

To answer my own earlier question: you can always return to the highest floor you've reached. This is kind of a relief for me, because I can leave anytime. The warp points, though, were a great reminder that I should save before I lose an hour of progress.

I've only played the game for about an hour but I am in LOVE with it. Spectacular story, characters, and setting. I can't wait to play this one through and then move on to P3. Great series.

Just got the $30 amazon art book and I am really dissapointed. Its kind flimsy for $30 and indeed was paper back. Its also the exact same art book the Japanese got....they didnt even bother translating the damn thing to English. Essentially all they did was take the Japanese extra stock and dump it on Amazon for $30. Pretty book but for $30 disappointing.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Just got the $30 amazon art book and I am really dissapointed. Its kind flimsy for $30 and indeed was paper back. Its also the exact same art book the Japanese got....they didnt even bother translating the damn thing to English. Essentially all they did was take the Japanese extra stock and dump it on Amazon for $30. Pretty book but for $30 disappointing.[/quote]Well, nothing against the rest of your points, but the photos on Amazon clearly hinted that it was the Japanese Design Works.

If you don't like it that much, you could most likely flip it for more without any trouble.

I'm really liking the game so far. There's a few things that annoy me, many of which are in Pete's post above, but I've gotten used to most of them and accept them now. Being able to control the full party is almost worth it in itself. It also makes me pay closer attention to what spells/abilities the other characters have coming up for their Personas. And I love being able to swap equipment without talking to each character individually.

Anyone else playing on a BC 80gig PS3? Its playing just fine with me, but every so often when I try to save, it will say "Save failed" and I have to go thru saving it again. Not a big gripe, since it has always worked on the second try so far, but if I wasn't paying attention, I could easily continue thinking I had saved, when in fact I hadn't. I had this problem a couple times when I was playing P3 FES: The Answer, but never had it during The Journey, nor have I ever failed trying to save any other PS2 game.

[quote name='Krymner']Anyone else playing on a BC 80gig PS3? Its playing just fine with me, but every so often when I try to save, it will say "Save failed" and I have to go thru saving it again. Not a big gripe, since it has always worked on the second try so far, but if I wasn't paying attention, I could easily continue thinking I had saved, when in fact I hadn't. I had this problem a couple times when I was playing P3 FES: The Answer, but never had it during The Journey, nor have I ever failed trying to save any other PS2 game.[/quote]

This happened to me on my 60gb PS3 with P3 and FES. No worries, just save again til it works.

Wow that went faster than I thought it would have! I'm glad I snagged one for the regular price instead of the completely inflated prices on ebay and Amazon Marketplace. I only ordered one because I actually want it...I'm guessing that some people may have hoarded it? Also, how did Amazon get ahold of more of these? Maybe from people who cancelled their original orders or something? I thought they were supposed to be uber limited or something.

[quote name='Brian9824']I don't want T-Shirt or calendar so if anyone wants to buy em from me let me know. Just wanted plush and soundtrack.[/quote]
how much for calendar? >_>

I'm a newcomer to the Persona series but an hour and half into this one and I'm loving it thus far. Can't wait to get back into it tonight. I actually went out today and picked up a used copy of Persona 3 just in case I wanna play it after this one! Ha!

It's playing fine on my 80gb so far. I also ran into the save issue where it failed. But it worked the next time I tried. No idea.

Any advice for a noob to the series? Things to avoid, etc?

[quote name='RynoZebz']I'm a newcomer to the Persona series but an hour and half into this one and I'm loving it thus far. Can't wait to get back into it tonight. I actually went out today and picked up a used copy of Persona 3 just in case I wanna play it after this one! Ha!

It's playing fine on my 80gb so far. I also ran into the save issue where it failed. But it worked the next time I tried. No idea.

Any advice for a noob to the series? Things to avoid, etc?[/QUOTE]

Buy the guide. Max out social links, and fuse the right personas. Exploit enemy weaknesses, and assume control over your party (In P3, you could only control the MC in battle) especially for boss fights.

Don't waste time just sleep at night. Study, and during the day take a part time job. Money is a lot more scarce in this game then P3. Namely because I don't think money comes in chests anymore.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Don't waste time just sleep at night. Study, and during the day take a part time job. Money is a lot more scarce in this game then P3. Namely because I don't think money comes in chests anymore.[/quote]

It's pretty easy to make money when you can clear a floor of a dungeon with next to no effort what so ever as a few of the enemies keep respawning. Although it's pretty time consuming for sure.

Also the guide is missing multiple choice replies and the bonuses they sometime give, which is disappointing. Oh well.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Just got the $30 amazon art book and I am really dissapointed. Its kind flimsy for $30 and indeed was paper back. Its also the exact same art book the Japanese got....they didnt even bother translating the damn thing to English. Essentially all they did was take the Japanese extra stock and dump it on Amazon for $30. Pretty book but for $30 disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Who is "they?" This is a book released by Atlus Japan for the Japanese market, imported and sold by Amazon.

[quote name='Krymner']Anyone else playing on a BC 80gig PS3? Its playing just fine with me, but every so often when I try to save, it will say "Save failed" and I have to go thru saving it again. Not a big gripe, since it has always worked on the second try so far, but if I wasn't paying attention, I could easily continue thinking I had saved, when in fact I hadn't. I had this problem a couple times when I was playing P3 FES: The Answer, but never had it during The Journey, nor have I ever failed trying to save any other PS2 game.[/QUOTE]
This happened to me in P3FES - SAVE IN MANY SLOTS. Every couple of hours, one or 2 of my saves would disappear. Sometimes after a load, one or 2 of my saves would disappear.

[quote name='pete5883']
This happened to me in P3FES - SAVE IN MANY SLOTS. Every couple of hours, one or 2 of my saves would disappear. Sometimes after a load, one or 2 of my saves would disappear.[/QUOTE]

The same thing happen to me as well with fes. Saves would disappear out of thin air then in matter of minutes they would either disappear for good or come back. After that shit occur, I made backup just in case or resort playing it on ps2 instead.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I wanna use the guide as that would spoil things, I think.

I had my first moment of yuck tonight with Persona 4. I played for about an hour and they tossed me into the first big boss fight. It had been an hour since I saved. I died as I was trying to mess around with the combat and wasn't paying close enough attention to my health gage. An hours worth of story and work lost. Now I have to do it over again tomorrow. Bleh. It's my own fault tho. I should have known better. Does the game give you any other save systems other then that damn calendar?

[quote name='RynoZebz'] Does the game give you any other save systems other then that damn calendar?[/QUOTE]

Flashing butterflies.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']First time I play it, quit, and go back, my save is already gone. This kinda turns me off to the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

Don't blame the game for Sony's shoddy BC.

[quote name='zewone']Don't blame the game for Sony's shoddy BC.[/quote]
I didn't say that I blamed the game, although, now I partially blame the game because it exits the save menu every time you save. I wouldn't mind saving 3 or 4 times if I didn't have to click on the calander every time.

Luckily, it didn't actually erase my save, it just didn't recognize it for whatever reason. I tried it again, and it worked fine. Now, I make sure to save twice before I quit.

I played for about 2 hours last night and the story has completely sucked me in. For me it's completely original and I like how I have to make choices that (I think) affect the outcome of the game. I'm always on my toes and trying to think ahead about which decision would be best. Really great game and I can't wait to finish the story.

[quote name='RynoZebz']Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I wanna use the guide as that would spoil things, I think.

I had my first moment of yuck tonight with Persona 4. I played for about an hour and they tossed me into the first big boss fight. It had been an hour since I saved. I died as I was trying to mess around with the combat and wasn't paying close enough attention to my health gage. An hours worth of story and work lost. Now I have to do it over again tomorrow. Bleh. It's my own fault tho. I should have known better. Does the game give you any other save systems other then that damn calendar?[/quote]

Yeah, I got slaughtered by the first boss, 1-2 shotted my guys since I didn't really grind much which was my fault. Still have several days to grind though, so I'll work on leveling up.

I didn't get too far in P3: FES, I think I'll go back to that after I finish up P4. Trying to juggle between P4 and Tales of Vesperia right now. Definitely loving P4 though, being able to control the whole party is great, awesome music, and the dubbing isn't bad.

Got my Social Link pack today from Amazon, I'll probably be selling the Teddie plush on here or eBay since I already got one from Atlus last month.

A lot of this game feels vastly inferior to P3, mostly the dungeon system. I absolutely hate what they did with the card shuffle. Fortunately, the good outweighs the bad so far.

Only about 5 hours in but I feel like I'm finally getting into the meat of the game. Can't really judge which one I like more, P3 or P4.

Chie's voice is definatly a problem for me. It's just so old and misplaced. Everone else sounds fine. Teddie is okay, still not big on his character design but he's not the cute cuddly character I thought he was gonna be.

Received my first game over screen about 4 1/2 hours in against a regular enemy. Critical hit on the main character for 95 points of damage. o_O

bread's done
Back