Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='therealdanhill']Is it common for people to not have cable boxes? I don't know anyone that doesn't have one, but it seems to be a common question.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had a cable box in maybe a decade

Dammit, I was going to pick one up today. Oh well, at least there are a ton in stock around me, so hopefully it goes on sale or clearance in the future.

I hope bestbuy price matches.... I had to return mine last night after just buying it Thursday. The red power light just kept blinking and the screen wouldn't turn on. I'm hesitant to buy another one now, but probably will get one and the warranty.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']What kind of room did you have it in? Damn, now I am worried it will be too reflective.[/QUOTE]

I was able to test the screen out at Best Buy. So take into the account that the store is very well lit and I was having trouble seeing everything clearly. Probably isnt the biggest deal, but didnt float my boat.

[quote name='PDJ']I was able to test the screen out at Best Buy. So take into the account that the store is very well lit and I was having trouble seeing everything clearly. Probably isnt the biggest deal, but didnt float my boat.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely reflective in a room with sunlight or just light in general. Luckily I play mostly at night and pretty much keep the glasses on the entire time.

I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying The Walking Dead in 3D with this display. I'm very excited to test out Max Payne 3, as soon as it finishes downloading :).

I purchased this display last week from Best Buy with the 2 year warrant, and I have to say it was worth it for $199. The warranty was only $20. The Display has worked flawlessly so crossing my fingers lets see what happens. Note: worth mentioning its makes a big difference if u pick up the PS3 media remote as it can get annoying having to go behind the display when switching between inputs or 3-D, in (SBS) and Full!

Curious why you guys are price matching. BestBuy.com has it for $199 they always adjust to the site. Should have no issues with that. I got the 2 yr replacement an I think the monitor is great. My pc is up against my window but I have thick blinds. I dont see glare or anything really. I do see if your at an angle the screen has a film look to it but thats because your at an angle head on or at a desk your perfectly fine. Using it for my PC monitor and its pretty impressive.

[quote name='aramsey1986']Curious why you guys are price matching. BestBuy.com has it for $199 they always adjust to the site. Should have no issues with that. I got the 2 yr replacement an I think the monitor is great. My pc is up against my window but I have thick blinds. I dont see glare or anything really. I do see if your at an angle the screen has a film look to it but thats because your at an angle head on or at a desk your perfectly fine. Using it for my PC monitor and its pretty impressive.[/QUOTE]

Probably because it no longer shows at $199.99. Instead they have the bundle up on bestbuy.com for $299.99 now.

[quote name='shylo0124']I purchased this display last week from Best Buy with the 2 year warrant, and I have to say it was worth it for $199. The warranty was only $20. The Display has worked flawlessly so crossing my fingers lets see what happens. Note: worth mentioning its makes a big difference if u pick up the PS3 media remote as it can get annoying having to go behind the display when switching between inputs or 3-D, in (SBS) and Full![/QUOTE]

I'm curious about this PS3 remote.. isn't this the same which controls your PS3 unit?

How does it know how to control the this display monitor?

[quote name='cagfansub']I'm curious about this PS3 remote.. isn't this the same which controls your PS3 unit?

How does it know how to control the this display monitor?[/QUOTE]

The Media/Blu-ray Remote is like any other Sony universal remote: the codes for Sony TVs are built-in (as they are for most other brands, but you have to configure it per the instructions).

[quote name='gantt']The Media/Blu-ray Remote is like any other Sony universal remote: the codes for Sony TVs are built-in (as they are for most other brands, but you have to configure it per the instructions).[/QUOTE]

I bought this PS3 remote 3 years ago when I bought my PS3 (non-slim unit).
I didn't know it can control Sony TVs. I thought it only control the PS3.

While were on the subject on remotes I was able to get my old Xbox 360 Universal (original) remote to work with the display. The only thing I wasn't able to control was the menu options - otherwise it works just fine.

X360-REMOTE-detail.jpg

[quote name='Vice']Dead at BB.com. I figured, with the usual sale cycle. You could probably still PM, though?[/QUOTE]

It's backordered at gamestop.com

[quote name='jedolley']I got mine from BB yesterday during my lunch. The first one had a dead/stuck pixel in the upper-right part of the screen than kept staring at me. I exchanged it for another one and it appears to be fine. So far it's a nice little monitor... I've used it for a game (non-3D), Netflix, and MLB.TV and everything has looked really nice on it. I have not tried out the glasses yet, but I did put them on and they are a bit stiff and uncomfortable. I'll probably get used to it, but I probably won't use them all that much.[/QUOTE]

I took mine back today and just ended up getting a 24" LED TV. The picture and everything was nice, but mine started having the black screen issue. I don't really think I will miss the 3D since I only used it once to test it out. The new TV is overall better than the PS Display, but obviously lacks all the 3D features.

I've been meaning to get this but it seems to be dead via BB.com i don't know if i could price match (im not a silver tier in their rewards program)

[quote name='cookiecrumbz']I've been meaning to get this but it seems to be dead via BB.com i don't know if i could price match (im not a silver tier in their rewards program)[/QUOTE]

You don't need to be a "Silver" member to price match.

Does anyone have any recommendations for settings for the picture? I just got mine and the colors look a little blah. I don't know how to explain it. I've been messing around with the settings and it's a little bit better but still not where I want it to be.

I got one from my local Gamestop earlier today mainly bc I was going to use it as a computer monitor(have been looking for one for a while & wanted something bigger then my old one & did 1080P)
So I got, & I have to say as a computer screen, IT'S fuckING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

No problem setting it up, & none of the screen is cut off in overscan. I really couldn't ask for anything better for what I need it for, & also getting a free game/6 ft HDMI cable, something that plays 3D(just for the shits & giggles) this is a pretty sweet deal in my book.

PS. Anybody picking it up in NYC, the GS stores that do have it are mainly uptown manhattan(85th street & up on both east & west sides)

Well, I had heard bad things about this screen having high failure rates and I ignored all that and bought one for $200 from the Sony Style store (when it was $300 and they had a $100 off coupon). So I got it in mid-to-late May and my boys have played it heavily since then. It is second screen we have in our game room so they used it when the other one was using the big TV. We never used it for 3D after the first day.

Well, today it wouldn't turn on. It does that flashing red light thing and I can't even get a menu to show up. It is completely dead, apparently. I tried both the 360 and PS3 and on both HDMI inputs - nothing.

This is the first piece of "major" electronics to die on me in a most predictable way since my Xbox 360 Elite. The only other things I've ever had fail are cheap DVD players.

So, yeah, gorgeous screen, but crappily designed. I guess I have to call Sony and get a used refurb to replace it. Wonderful. The hassle of dealing with that is already making the low price not worth it. I would have rather just bought a 32" or so screen (non-3D) that is more reliable for $100 or so more. Any time I spend on the phone and dealing with mailing this PoS back is wasted money.

Yes, the defect rate for this product are horrible. I picked up mine yesterday and though I bought the two-year warranty, I'm wondering if I should keep the screen.

I may call Best Buy back and ask them for more details about their warranty--what they'll do if it fails--to see if that will give me some extra peace of mind.

I sure would like a 3D screen around here, but I'm really not ready to shell out four figures for it, yet.

Sorry to hear that.

I've read enough reports about this online to suspect this is a class issue. As a long-time Sony fan, it's upsetting to me that they ever released the product in the first place. Having done so, though, it seems they should have suspended sales and recalled stock until they fixed the issue. I think Sony might have done something like that with the PS2 slim power supply, and maybe MS with the Xbox racing wheel.

At least they could extend the warranty to 3 years like MS did for the RROD.

[quote name='io']Well, I had heard bad things about this screen having high failure rates and I ignored all that and bought one for $200 from the Sony Style store (when it was $300 and they had a $100 off coupon). So I got it in mid-to-late May and my boys have played it heavily since then. It is second screen we have in our game room so they used it when the other one was using the big TV. We never used it for 3D after the first day.

Well, today it wouldn't turn on. It does that flashing red light thing and I can't even get a menu to show up. It is completely dead, apparently. I tried both the 360 and PS3 and on both HDMI inputs - nothing.

This is the first piece of "major" electronics to die on me in a most predictable way since my Xbox 360 Elite. The only other things I've ever had fail are cheap DVD players.

So, yeah, gorgeous screen, but crappily designed. I guess I have to call Sony and get a used refurb to replace it. Wonderful. The hassle of dealing with that is already making the low price not worth it. I would have rather just bought a 32" or so screen (non-3D) that is more reliable for $100 or so more. Any time I spend on the phone and dealing with mailing this PoS back is wasted money.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but for all the people who have this TV, does anyone else see a very thin green line at the bottom of the screen? It's not enough to affect anything, it's just that now that I know it's there, I can't unsee it. (I don't know if it makes a difference, but I see the line when playing a DVD on my PS2 slim, using component cables.)

[quote name='Rasen']Just curious, but for all the people who have this TV, does anyone else see a very thin green line at the bottom of the screen? It's not enough to affect anything, it's just that now that I know it's there, I can't unsee it. (I don't know if it makes a difference, but I see the line when playing a DVD on my PS2 slim, using component cables.)[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed this issue with mine, I've used it with HDMI and Component cables.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']Does anyone have any recommendations for settings for the picture? I just got mine and the colors look a little blah. I don't know how to explain it. I've been messing around with the settings and it's a little bit better but still not where I want it to be.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I did with mine is adjust the custom settings to drop the sharpness down a few notches and adjusted the brightness and contrast. Sorry I do not have the exact numbers as I am at work. These settings worked great for me as a computer monitor surfing the net, etc. For playing games, I switch to dynamic for 3D and it looks great.

[quote name='sharpeone']The only thing I did with mine is adjust the custom settings to drop the sharpness down a few notches and adjusted the brightness and contrast. Sorry I do not have the exact numbers as I am at work. These settings worked great for me as a computer monitor surfing the net, etc. For playing games, I switch to dynamic for 3D and it looks great.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Looks great now.

Is anyone else feeling a little uneasy about these high failure rates? I have the two year protection plan from best buy, and I am still wondering if I should take the display back or not.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']Is anyone else feeling a little uneasy about these high failure rates? I have the two year protection plan from best buy, and I am still wondering if I should take the display back or not.[/QUOTE]

This is my first 3D Display/Monitor/TV. That's the primary reason I picked it up. I'm actually banking on the fact that it will fail in the next 4 years (I got it from BB with 4yr protection) so I can use the $200 credit towards an upgrade as they will not have these models in stock anymore.

I apologize if someone asked this question already, but does anyone recommend which glasses to get and where? Having only 1 pair of glasses isn't very useful when the point of this TV is the dual display feature.

I was hoping to just get a universal kind and not sony-branded so I don't pay a premium. Any pros and cons for doing that?

[quote name='Jacoblee23']Is anyone else feeling a little uneasy about these high failure rates? I have the two year protection plan from best buy, and I am still wondering if I should take the display back or not.[/QUOTE]

People actually buy those things?! esp cags?!

[quote name='bug_nuts']People actually buy those things?! esp cags?![/QUOTE]

I usually don't, but with the failure rate on this display, I felt I had no other choice.

Just from reading the long thread on the playstation forums it seems like people who send it back to sony are getting ones that are working more reliably. If you get a best buy warranty they will probably just give you a new one from their existing stock which seem to have a fairly high failure rate. The most reliable units appear to be the replacement ones sent directly from sony. It seems like you'd be best off just going through sony and not giving best buy 20 bucks--- unless you are just hoping that best buy will run out of stock and you will be able to use the credit on something else(but good luck having a display that last long enough for this to happen). Of course it is really hard to tell the true failure rates of something like this from reading about them online, but there are at least a few cags that have had problems, which is a pretty small sample size.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I usually don't, but with the failure rate on this display, I felt I had no other choice.[/QUOTE]You had a choice NOT to buy it. Far as Bestbuys service plan....It's a joke. Do your research on Google and you will see just how horrendous it is.

[quote name='krashhole']You had a choice NOT to buy it. Far as Bestbuys service plan....It's a joke. Do your research on Google and you will see just how horrendous it is.[/QUOTE]

I would think with something like this, that is very unique and not that expensive, they would just replace it with a new one. I think with more expensive TVs they try and fix them, which seems to be where a lot of complaints come from. I still wouldn't buy the warranty though.

In regards to calibration.. Disney has a calibration DVD & Bluray called World of Wonder which I read is pretty good. I have it on order and was going to use it on this display, but ended up taking it back due to the blackout issues.

[quote name='caltab']Just from reading the long thread on the playstation forums it seems like people who send it back to sony are getting ones that are working more reliably. If you get a best buy warranty they will probably just give you a new one from their existing stock which seem to have a fairly high failure rate. The most reliable units appear to be the replacement ones sent directly from sony. It seems like you'd be best off just going through sony and not giving best buy 20 bucks--- unless you are just hoping that best buy will run out of stock and you will be able to use the credit on something else(but good luck having a display that last long enough for this to happen). Of course it is really hard to tell the true failure rates of something like this from reading about them online, but there are at least a few cags that have had problems, which is a pretty small sample size.[/QUOTE]

Good points! The ones that were replaced by Sony during the warranty period are the ones that actually have fixed the issues. Most of the unsold ones in the stores have the same defects that have never been fixed.

Also, do you have to pay for the shipping out of your own pocket for Sony to get it fixed during the RMA process?

[quote name='caltab']Just from reading the long thread on the playstation forums it seems like people who send it back to sony are getting ones that are working more reliably. If you get a best buy warranty they will probably just give you a new one from their existing stock which seem to have a fairly high failure rate. The most reliable units appear to be the replacement ones sent directly from sony. It seems like you'd be best off just going through sony and not giving best buy 20 bucks--- unless you are just hoping that best buy will run out of stock and you will be able to use the credit on something else(but good luck having a display that last long enough for this to happen). Of course it is really hard to tell the true failure rates of something like this from reading about them online, but there are at least a few cags that have had problems, which is a pretty small sample size.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, why buy another year warranty for the same defect...Groundhog's Day anyone ?

I thought the same thing about the original Xbox 360 failure rate (that it was overblown because of the Internet forum effect) but then it happened to me too ;).

Anyway, when I got mine it was from the Sony Store (online) so I thought, perhaps, if anyone had "newer" fixed stock it would be them. Apparently not.

So, anyway, I certainly hope what you say is the case and the one I get back works better. But I also read on those forums about people on their 3rd or 4th and a few who got ones DOA back from Sony. That would piss me off!

You and me both. I'm leaning toward opening the box, but somehow just can't bring myself to do it yet. My thinking is that $200 is a pretty nice price to have a 3D screen in my home--certainly better than $1,500 or more. I too bought the warranty, so I feel I'm probably covered. And this is all IF there's a problem with my display.

Maybe my problem is that I'm not 100% convinced I NEED the thing. But I have a good number of games that would look great in 3D--Batman Arkham City, Killzone 3, Wipeout HD, Mortal Kombat, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus... so the temptation is there.

I'm not, and I dont have the 2 year protection. If it screws up, I will send it to sony with the 1 year warranty

Guys, do not fcukin buy this piece of junk. I was just became a sucker today. The thing I bought for 300 bucks not too long ago the shit crapped out on as I'm speaking. Even at two hundy, you just don't want to deal with the frustration.

I finally broke down and bought one of these today. Was sitting on $200 GS credit anyway. Trading in motorstorm to BB later today for around $23.

I'm going to use this as the 3rd 24" monitor on my desktop. And the 2nd hdmi port allows me to also plug in my ps3 and mess around with the 3d function. This is my first 3D product.. I've stayed away from it until now since it's seemed mostly a marketing gimmick. But for ~$180 of gamestop credit, it was worth trying out.

Anyone get a logitech harmony remote to work with the display?

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Guys, do not fcukin buy this piece of junk. I was just became a sucker today. The thing I bought for 300 bucks not too long ago the shit crapped out on as I'm speaking. Even at two hundy, you just don't want to deal with the frustration.[/QUOTE]

you was or is a sucker for this thing.

[quote name='Kolgar']You and me both. I'm leaning toward opening the box, but somehow just can't bring myself to do it yet. My thinking is that $200 is a pretty nice price to have a 3D screen in my home--certainly better than $1,500 or more. I too bought the warranty, so I feel I'm probably covered. And this is all IF there's a problem with my display.

Maybe my problem is that I'm not 100% convinced I NEED the thing. But I have a good number of games that would look great in 3D--Batman Arkham City, Killzone 3, Wipeout HD, Mortal Kombat, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus... so the temptation is there.[/QUOTE]
When I upgrade to 3d (and I need to because my 3d library is pretty big), I'm just going to go for the optoma Gxxxxx projector for $7xx.xx. already have a painted screen and ceiling mount. But for some reason I keep contemplating this tv for the bedroom. Your failure stories help deter me

On hold with Playstation support waiting for a rep now... It is somewhat disconcerting that all their automated options do not include the 3D display (you can only pick PS3, PSP, Vita, and PS2).

Well, they are processing the return/replace. It is 7-10 days turnaround once they get it. Funniest part of the call: "it is very rare for them just to stop working like that".

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gospelman']I finally broke down and bought one of these today. Was sitting on $200 GS credit anyway. Trading in motorstorm to BB later today for around $23.

I'm going to use this as the 3rd 24" monitor on my desktop. And the 2nd hdmi port allows me to also plug in my ps3 and mess around with the 3d function. This is my first 3D product.. I've stayed away from it until now since it's seemed mostly a marketing gimmick. But for ~$180 of gamestop credit, it was worth trying out.

Anyone get a logitech harmony remote to work with the display?[/QUOTE]

Mine just arrived today.. mail order thru BB because my store doesn't carry it.
Didn't buy the ext. warranty yet since I got 30 days to try out.

Same here. I'm using this as my PC, PS3 and TV. PC connected to HDMI1 (PC has ATI Radeon card - dual mon capable). So, I got a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Highest resolution that I can set is 1920x1080 but horrible quality. My previous monitor was Dell LCD 22". It was pretty sharp at 1920x1080. I have to lower the res down to 1776x1000. The text now are sharper but I get the black bars on top and side... .

PS3 hookup on HDMI2 seems ok. Haven't test any 3D game yet.

TV (Dish network with HD) is connected to component.
Looks ok so far but no ATSC tuner.

After 1-2 hour of usage.. I saw it goes BLANK for 5-6 secs and it came back up.. Perhaps this is the beginning of the dreaded black-screen-of-dead.

Let see how it goes.

[quote name='cagfansub']

After 1-2 hour of usage.. I saw it goes BLANK for 5-6 secs and it came back up.. Perhaps this is the beginning of the dreaded black-screen-of-dead.

Let see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read on the PS forums, yes, this is the beginning of it.

Interestingly enough, mine never did that once. It just didn't work one day after working fine the day before. Maybe that's what the rep meant in my quote above (though we didn't talk about the flashing black screen issue at all).

I'll tell you, though, that she did very little questioning of my issue so I'm sure they are used to dealing with this - just wanted to know what troubleshooting I did (which I told her was to try both a PS3 and 360 on both HDMI ports). But the flashing red lights I think are a stone cold indication it is dead. Funny that it doesn't mention this anywhere in the manual. I had to investigate online before I found out what they meant. You can't always be sure a blank screen isn't a cable/HDMI handshake issue. But then I remember it saying "No Signal" before when I had those sorts of issues. When it is dead there is no screen at all - you don't get error messages or a menu of any sort as the thing isn't even powered up.

Oh yeah, and while we were waiting for screens to come up, etc, on her end, the rep asked me (in an imploring tone) if I had a Vita yet. I got to tell her no ;) (though I did say I had 2 PS3s).

bread's done
Back