Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fine for me. The 3D is definitely fun and the picture for other systems is great. The use as a computer monitor isn't perfect, but I got it for gaming and the novelty of playing games in 3D so it's doing exactly what I hoped it would do.

[quote name='NoodleN1nja']So who here recommends the purchase of the TV for $200? Or should I just save myself the time and money and steer clear? Sorry if its been asked.[/QUOTE]

You know it's not a TV, right? No tuner.

Mine has done the flicker to me once, and I thought about swapping it out at Gamestop where I bought it, but I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of Motorstorm(I traded it in, no interest in it other than seeing the 3D the first day). It hasn't done it since then, and of course, now that I'm talking it about it, it just won't turn on when I get home. I'm about 4 days out of the return policy so if in the next week something bad happens I'll pitch a fit to get it swapped, otherwise I'll deal with Sony since io said that the turn around isn't too bad.

I really like the display, I think it's clearer than my 32 inch that I have for regular TV watching (Granted, that one is about 2 and a half years old at this point), and it blows my 19" out of the water. I'm holding out for a decent deal on a 40+" and I'll swap this one for my bedroom since I just watch TV in there(it has HDMI so I'll still get my TV on.)

Only question, I don't have one of those super universal remotes, and honestly don't need a Harmony remote in anyway shape or form(all I do is game or watch TV, and my sound system has a perfectly good remote/in my room it's a PA system that won't connect) what's a good universal that will work with this that's basic? Will any?

I bought the ps3 media remote that controls both the tv and ps3. Before that I used an old cable remote and just programmed it to work with the monitor. Turned it on and off, worked the volume and accessed the menu so I had no problems, only thing I had to reach around the back for was to turn the 3d on/off

[quote name='gantt']You know it's not a TV, right? No tuner.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know. My intentions are to use it for mostly gaming and maybe a computer monitor at times. So no tuner is fine with me. If I didn't know about the red light problem I would have bought it already lol.

[quote name='pablo escobar']I bought the ps3 media remote that controls both the tv and ps3. Before that I used an old cable remote and just programmed it to work with the monitor. Turned it on and off, worked the volume and accessed the menu so I had no problems, only thing I had to reach around the back for was to turn the 3d on/off[/QUOTE]

Perfect, thanks so much for that. I don't have any just laying around so I guess I'll pick up one of the PS3 ones if I can find it cheap enough.

[quote name='tuffguycore']Perfect, thanks so much for that. I don't have any just laying around so I guess I'll pick up one of the PS3 ones if I can find it cheap enough.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 remote is really the best way to go since it allows you to control the PS3 via bluetooth and the TV via IR. Much easier when watching video (NetFlix, DVDs, etc.) using the PS3 but you still want to adjust volume and other TV-settings. I used my $10 rewards coupon to pick it up at BB for $15 (normally $25...for the math challenged). I think Amazon typically sells it for just about $20.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']The PS3 remote is really the best way to go since it allows you to control the PS3 via bluetooth and the TV via IR. Much easier when watching video (NetFlix, DVDs, etc.) using the PS3 but you still want to adjust volume and other TV-settings. I used my $10 rewards coupon to pick it up at BB for $15 (normally $25...for the math challenged). I think Amazon typically sells it for just about $20.[/QUOTE]

I can do either or, I mean, Best Buy doesn't do used accessories unfortunately...

Question about the PSP viewing mode:

I was playing around with this with my PSPgo connected through dock with component output. When I enabled this mode while viewing the PSP menu screen (cross-bar?), the picture was cut off at the top and bottom, but once I started a game it seemed to fill the screen correctly. Is this how it is supposed to work? Kind of lame that the main PSP menu looks like crap, but the game itself looked pretty good (though I need to re-link my PS3 controller to my PSPgo so I can get further back from the TV for a proper viewing distance).

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Question about the PSP viewing mode:

I was playing around with this with my PSPgo connected through dock with component output. When I enabled this mode while viewing the PSP menu screen (cross-bar?), the picture was cut off at the top and bottom, but once I started a game it seemed to fill the screen correctly. Is this how it is supposed to work? Kind of lame that the main PSP menu looks like crap, but the game itself looked pretty good (though I need to re-link my PS3 controller to my PSPgo so I can get further back from the TV for a proper viewing distance).[/QUOTE]

I didn't get a chance to try it in PSP viewing mode, but that's probably because when playing games, the PSP's TV out puts a border around the whole image. Using PSP mode on the TV expands it so that the area that would normally be bordered fills the whole screen, but since the menu doesn't normally have borders, the edges get cut off in that mode.

Basically when you're not playing a game, don't use the PSP zoom mode to see the whole screen. When you switch to a game, turn on the zoom so that it doesn't have borders.

[quote name='Edge']Basically when you're not playing a game, don't use the PSP zoom mode to see the whole screen. When you switch to a game, turn on the zoom so that it doesn't have borders.[/QUOTE]

That's basically the conclusion I came to and how I'm doing things (or I just leave it in PSP mode and deal with the chopped off screen).

Hmmm....I wonder if the PSP has some setting that controls the output. I'll need to look into that.

In any case, I got my PS3 controller linked to my PSPgo and really like the setup. It's a great way to play good PSP games on the bigger screen with decent picture quality and a good controller while also being able to take the system and stuff it in your pocket for a road trip. Pretty lame that you can't do this with the Vita yet, since the picture quality would be even better. Hopefully they'll add that with an update in the near future.

Anyone know what the 3D button on the MEDIA REMOTE 2.0 does? I'm asking because we still need to switch 3D "types" from the back of the display?! (I don't have a Sony Amp)

[quote name='Pounce!']Anyone know what the 3D button on the MEDIA REMOTE 2.0 does? I'm asking because we still need to switch 3D "types" from the back of the display?! (I don't have a Sony Amp)[/QUOTE]

The 3D button on my MEDIA REMOTE 2.0 switches between the different 3d modes.

I picked one of these up awhile ago and I really like it. Great for a TV/computer monitor, and you can trade in Motorstorm for some credit, also.

[quote name='NoodleN1nja']Yeah I know. My intentions are to use it for mostly gaming and maybe a computer monitor at times. So no tuner is fine with me. If I didn't know about the red light problem I would have bought it already lol.[/QUOTE]

To clarify these people that say its not tv all they mean is there is no cable line port thing to go to a tuner so you cant plug your cable line direct in however if your cable box has an hdmi port you are fine and you can use this just like any tv.

No problems up to now, performed flawlessly.

Just now, three blinking lights of death. Black screen. Dead.

Looks like this is Sony's RROD fiasco. The failure rates on these must be astronomical.

[quote name='Kolgar']No problems up to now, performed flawlessly.

Just now, three blinking lights of death. Black screen. Dead.

Looks like this is Sony's RROD fiasco. The failure rates on these must be astronomical.[/QUOTE]

sorry to hear :/

how long did it last?

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']sorry to hear :/

how long did it last?[/QUOTE]

Less than a month. I think I heard a pop when it went. Back to BB tomorrow for an exchange!

[quote name='Edge']Perfect, just the price I was waiting for. I also happen to have a ton of Gamestop credit, so no tax either. Although maybe I should have it price matched at Best Buy so that I can get an extended warranty on it, since it sounds like these things aren't so reliable. On that note, would anyone happen to know how much a 2/4 year replacement plan for a $200 display is at Best Buy?[/QUOTE]

it was 19.99 for 2 years 29.99 for 4 years

I havent read this thread for awhile so sorry if it's been asked. If I attach the hmdi to a tuner card in my PC, can I use it as a second monitor to watch tv or just as a 2nd screen while my original monitor is used for other stuff?

[quote name='strait edge follower']If anyone who brought this doesnt want their copy of motorstorm apocolypse pm me asap :)[/QUOTE]

I may be buying one this week and I don't want my copy of motorstorm apocalypse.

The problem is, I also want to use this display as an extra monitor for my iMac. Has anyone tried to hook it up (I know it's supposedly possible via a Mini-DVI to HDMI converter) with their iMac? If so, has anyone experienced compatibility issues?

[quote name='SolidSnake86']I may be buying one this week and I don't want my copy of motorstorm apocalypse.

The problem is, I also want to use this display as an extra monitor for my iMac. Has anyone tried to hook it up (I know it's supposedly possible via a Mini-DVI to HDMI converter) with their iMac? If so, has anyone experienced compatibility issues?[/QUOTE]

I've had it hooked up to a Macbook Pro (currently), but I've also tried it with my iMac. First display had issues, traded that one in for a new one that has had no problems yet. It has worked great since the trade in. Don't forget monoprice for your adapter!

I'm very interested in a new monitor, leaning toward this one, but I'm skeptical with all the negative comments on this thread. Can anyone talk me into this, out of it, or point me in the direction of something comparable in the $200 price range? Just want something nice for my desk that I can hook my computer up to and maybe play my 360 on. Not really going to use the 3D.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I'm very interested in a new monitor, leaning toward this one, but I'm skeptical with all the negative comments on this thread. Can anyone talk me into this, out of it, or point me in the direction of something comparable in the $200 price range? Just want something nice for my desk that I can hook my computer up to and maybe play my 360 on. Not really going to use the 3D.[/QUOTE]

As a monitor, you can do better than this. It looks fine at lower resolutions, but at 1920x1080, its just not that great. The display is fantastic for gaming though (ps3). I don't know enough to give you a recommendation on another monitor though.

[quote name='backseatdog']As a monitor, you can do better than this. It looks fine at lower resolutions, but at 1920x1080, its just not that great. The display is fantastic for gaming though (ps3). I don't know enough to give you a recommendation on another monitor though.[/QUOTE]

1920x1080 is its native resolution, which it runs without issue.

IMHO, it works fine as a PC monitor and I have it hooked up to one of my PCs. Side by Side 3D works well on supported video files and in some games (Trine 2).

Quality sucks outside of windows... the bios and loading screens are very washed out. Once windows and the drivers kick in, blacks are surprisingly good.

Speakers aren't great, but I use a dedicated sound system anyways.

Of course you can find a better monitor for the price, but not one that supports 3D... and also, finding a monitor that is of significantly better quality for $200 probably won't happen.

[quote name='joen05']I've had it hooked up to a Macbook Pro (currently), but I've also tried it with my iMac. First display had issues, traded that one in for a new one that has had no problems yet. It has worked great since the trade in. Don't forget monoprice for your adapter![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated! Looks like I'll be picking one up this week. My iMac screen is having problems so this will be a nice temporary fix, plus I've been eager to try some 3D games and movies on my PS3.

Thanks again!

Ehhhhhhh. I passed. Would have ended up at like $250 after warranty. Was about $50 too rich for my taste, and with my luck the thing would have been DOA. I'll either live with my crappy yard sale monitor, or I'll pick one up on Newegg around $160.

Picked one up, now just waiting for my adaptor from monoprice. I'm still waiting to take the 3D display out of the box - I'll set it up when I get the adaptor this upcoming week. I took the advice and went with the 4 year Best Buy warranty. For $200 the 3D display will serve as a temporary monitor for my iMac and it's still cheaper than getting my iMac fixed (which would at least cost $570, if not more).

my BB still have like 15 of these up high on the back wall behind the video games section.

When it gets to $100, then i will get one

I'm actually thinking of getting two of these for when I build my PC but with all the issues reported for it, I'm better off just getting 2 ASUS monitors for the same price.

I saw like ~20 of these still @ my local BB w/ the $200 price tag. My local GS still shows it as in stock.
I'm definitely waiting for this thing to drop to $99 :p

[quote name='Carlanga']I saw like ~20 of these still @ my local BB w/ the $200 price tag. My local GS still shows it as in stock.
I'm definitely waiting for this thing to drop to $99 :p[/QUOTE]

Same here. A bunch at my BB too. Will wait for another drop.

I have one of these and use it as a computer monitor. As far as monitors go, you can do better...but not for the reason most people are listing. It's just not all that great with text. I'll say this, though, Sony's team that created this knew what they were doing. PS3 games just look down right gorgeous on this monitor. Better than my normal tv, and I have a pretty nice plasma tv. I wasn't expecting that...the color is calibrated specifically for the PS3 right out of the box.

I've had mine for 3 months and no issue (cross my fingers) yet. I have to admit, the biggest disappointment has been the 3D. This generation of consoles just aren't powerful to do 3D right. All things considered, if you're buying this primarily for PS3 gaming, go for it. If you're buying it for 3D or to use as a computer monitor, you can do better for your money. I don't regret buying mine; however, if I had it to do over again I would have invested in a top-of-the-line non-IPS monitor.

[quote name='ProppaT']I have one of these and use it as a computer monitor. As far as monitors go, you can do better...but not for the reason most people are listing. It's just not all that great with text. I'll say this, though, Sony's team that created this knew what they were doing. PS3 games just look down right gorgeous on this monitor. Better than my normal tv, and I have a pretty nice plasma tv. I wasn't expecting that...the color is calibrated specifically for the PS3 right out of the box.

I've had mine for 3 months and no issue (cross my fingers) yet. I have to admit, the biggest disappointment has been the 3D. This generation of consoles just aren't powerful to do 3D right. All things considered, if you're buying this primarily for PS3 gaming, go for it. If you're buying it for 3D or to use as a computer monitor, you can do better for your money. I don't regret buying mine; however, if I had it to do over again I would have invested in a top-of-the-line non-IPS monitor.[/QUOTE]

I disagree about the text. The only problem mine has is with red text on dark backgrounds, such as on CAG. Everything else is crisp and perfect. I have pics linked somewhere earlier in the thread showing the quality of text on this thing.

I'm thinking about picking one of these up at Best Buy. Does anyone know if it would be better to get the Best Buy warranty or a Square Trade warranty? They are about the same price. Thanks

This has been on sale for the price of $200 on the Sony online store for at least three months. It has also been on sale at my local Gamestop for the same price for several months.

[quote name='Chaozhound']This has been on sale for the price of $200 on the Sony online store for at least three months. It has also been on sale at my local Gamestop for the same price for several months.[/QUOTE]

Come on GameStop! Convert to used! lol

bread's done
Back