PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Sophita']I agree the moment I became a mom a lot changed and now playing games on my ps3 is much easier with the playpen in the living room.Much more so then trying to do it all in the bedroom/office. Though I can see how once you have older children in their teens it may be easier to have a dedicated office to use at night /shurg[/QUOTE]

most people have pcs in their living room lol heck i have my gaming pc hooked up to my big screen. i have 3 kids under age 8. When i play games at night i use my turtle beach headsets. Most pc gamers are over the age of 25. i have only been pc gaming for couple months now and will say this the skill of players and quality of games are far better on pc then any home system can offer even ps4 and my pc right now is already twich as powerfull as ps4.

I down with everything they showed. Way more information than I was expected. I am so sick of Microsoft that any halfway decent alternative next-gen will have my $$.

I think the thing that caught me completely off guard was the ability to set up a stream of your game on ustream. As a guy that loves to smother people with content, i am in.

We are gonna need more internet.

[quote name='DemonKysho']I think the thing that caught me completely off guard was the ability to set up a stream of your game on ustream. As a guy that loves to smother people with content, i am in.

We are gonna need more internet.[/QUOTE]

sadly when this stuff starts coming out inernet companys in u.s are putting caps on internet usage this in fact will hurt sony that no one will be able to stream.

[quote name='KrizB']Capcom just said that "Deep Down" is based in the Dragons Dogma universe.
:whee:[/QUOTE]
I got the feeling they were related given Capcom has had nothing to say about DD2. I was already interested but it will be an insta-buy if they follow the same formula.

[quote name='Vinny']I agree about the controller... it looks like ass and I can't imagine what they'd use that tiny as touch screen for.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this is one thing I'm not too happy with. That's a lot of bling for what should be used to just 'control' your game. I have a sneaking suspicion that DS3 will be compatible with PS4 though, so maybe there's options. If not, fan pressure will more than likely force them to put out a stripped down controller.

[quote name='KillerRamen']It looks like the PS4 will in fact play used games. So I guess that also means that this thing will also have an optical drive.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/sony-ps4-can-play-used-games/[/QUOTE]
Main Processor
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine
Memory
GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive
Built-in
Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

It has a 6x bluray drive, sony confirmed it in a press release.

[quote name='htz']It has a 6x bluray drive, sony confirmed it in a press release.[/QUOTE]

Was hoping we'd be surprised like with the memory for that. I know next to nothing about it, but seems like it could be a limiting factor. Aren't many 8x and up to 12x right now? So what about 6 months from now, and 3 years from now? Won't most be 12x and leave Sony in a bad spot by that time? I should probably read a little before opening my mouth about it.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']
Frankly I'd be happy if load times were done away with, but no one seems interested in that.
[/QUOTE]

they talked about it for like 10 minutes.
a couple features talk directly to this:

1) the standby mode (like psp/vita) where you can instantly jump back into the game you were playing w/o any load time
2) instantly start playing a game from the store (full demo, basically) both as a demo and as bought, before it even fully downloads

they spent quite a bit of time discussing that exact issue - load times... and it seems like removing/reducing them was a central tenet of their design.

The more I think about it the more I hope they have a bigger title than what they've announced ready for launch/launch window, or this thing won't sell well initially no matter how great the system itself is. I suppose if you have Killzone + Infamous ready it could be fine but I'm not entirely convinced.

Make GTA V a next gen game or at least make it cross gen. That would obviously be the single game that we already know is coming in that time frame that will move systems. If GTA V releases only for current gen, and Xbox is backwards compatible, Sony could have a tough time imo. People may buy an Xbox if they can play GTA on it and skip the PS4.

[quote name='htz']Main Processor
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine
Memory
GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive
Built-in
Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

It has a 6x bluray drive, sony confirmed it in a press release.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about all the rumors but I remember there was a rumor from "in the know" people that it would have 2-4gb RAM. Looks like that was wrong. I never believed it anyway, RAM is so cheap why not put more in? It's only going down in price - and fast.

[quote name='dallow']You have kids?
I seriously thought you were 12 years old. Holy shit.[/QUOTE]

Seriously.

Which brings me to my next question. Timbo, sir or madam, how the fuck do you find the time to troll Sony/Nintendo forums with 3 kids?

[quote name='ShockandAww']The more I think about it the more I hope they have a bigger title than what they've announced ready for launch/launch window, or this thing won't sell well initially no matter how great the system itself is. I suppose if you have Killzone + Infamous ready it could be fine but I'm not entirely convinced.

[/QUOTE]

I'm still not concerned, I'm sure Sony and the Dev's are waiting until E3. Last night was supposed to be the intro about the system - E3 will be all about the games.

Come July if there still aren't any big name games lined up for the launch window, then maybe concern will hit.

Also, if I remember correctly, rumors put it at only 4 cores in the CPU. At least these specs are going to (most likely) force MS to up it's game from it's rumored 8GB DDR3. That seems unbelievable anyway...

[quote name='renique46']So Sony will have a tough time because gamers will buy a next gen xbox just to play a gta game on current gen? k[/QUOTE]

No, if I said that then I wasn't very clear. Most of this is nothing but assumption but here's how I think MS could still give Sony major problems, even if the next Xbox is technically inferior. Even if the next Xbox blocks used games and even if the Xbox watches you while you touch yourself at night.

What I'm saying is assume that 1) Xbox 720 is backward compatible 2) PS4 is not at all at launch

So Xbox at launch would then be able to play GTA V while PS4 couldn't. People want a next gen console...because it's a next gen console. People only have enough to buy one of the two. People see they can get a PS4 and play some Killzone (not a system seller imo) and hope for some future games...or they could buy the (quite possibly less expensive) Xbox 720 and play some GTA V (along with any other 360 title).

Not to mention in that case people could trade in/sell their Xbox while PS3 owners will not have that option assuming they still want to play any PS3 games. Also, the Xbox could very well be cheaper or offer a contract to make the initial cost much cheaper.

I guess more generally I'm simply saying that if Xbox 720 is backwards compatible, Sony could still be in serious trouble sales wise.

[quote name='KrebStar']Seriously.

Which brings me to my next question. Timbo, sir or madam, how the fuck do you find the time to troll Sony/Nintendo forums with 3 kids?[/QUOTE]

Having kids doesnt mean you are a good parent. He is right about those Ustream bloggers. I couldnt take another second of them so turned it off until I could get the stream working elsewhere.

Capcoms game looks good. I am not sure if it will be a system seller for me. I hope they are holding off on announcing the must have games for close to release. The share stuff is just dumb. Who wants to watch other people play video games? There is a reason why all those video game channels never last.

[quote name='musha666']Having kids doesnt mean you are a good parent. He is right about those Ustream bloggers. I couldnt take another second of them so turned it off until I could get the stream working elsewhere.

Capcoms game looks good. I am not sure if it will be a system seller for me. I hope they are holding off on announcing the must have games for close to release. The share stuff is just dumb. Who wants to watch other people play video games? There is a reason why all those video game channels never last.[/QUOTE]

Every major video review site and the massive list of gameplay videos on YouTube say "yo".

I'm excited about the new PS4 the system sounds amazing. The press conference was annoying. I do not want to watch hours of game trailers and listen to the lead so and so go on and on about their stupid game. Also your game looks like shit when I have to watch it via a compressed video stream from u stream at 480P max!

CONSOLE WARZ 2012!

Oh, I'm so bloody glad I matured since the last round.

As for PS4, I'm interested to hear about three things:
1) price
2) availability of content for PS1/2/3 titles
3) price of #2 and/or considerations for those of us who have those games on disc.

Price is a big point, I got burned by my Vita purchase (and to a lesser extent the 3DS at launch). I'm not diving into a $500 - or even a $400, probably - console any longer.

The ability to play an entire catalog of PS titles is *very* appealing to me - but I want to see how it's implemented. Based on the selection of PSOne and PS2 "Classics" via the PSN store, I'm less than optimistic that some of the more obscure titles I own will be available. Will they be able to stream the entire library? I want to know how this will work. It could be great, it could be a disaster, and it could be hit or miss. I'm willing to hold judgment on this.

An additional wrinkle is that I own a *lot* of PS1/2/3 games on disc. Will I be able to stream them on PS4 without having to repurchase them? How might that work? What about my old save files? I'm doubtful, and concerned that Sony thinks we're going to repay for this content; looking at the PSPGo, they have expected us to repurchase games, and there was no mechanism for converting our hard copies into digital copies - beyond that, the digital copies were limited (i.e., not all of my PSP UMD games were downloadable onto the PSPGo).

Some stuff looks really neat, but if some of their promises are half-assed or weakly implemented, I'll stick with my PS3 for some time to come. My backlog will probably hold me off until PS5 anyway.

As expected (and as I expect for the next Xbox also), nothing announced that excited me. These new consoles are going to be more incremental updates than in past generations. Having games in 1080p will be nice I guess. But I'm still happy with my 360 and PS3 and have enough games to keep me busy for a good while so I'll give the next gen a year or two and wait til at least the first price drop and decide whether I still game enough to justify buying another console and if so which to get.

I just heard it in passing so not even sure I heard it right but the PS4 can charge the controller even when the PS4 is in standby mode? If that's right that's another awesome fix/feature. It's little things like that that give me hope :)

[quote name='ShockandAww']I just heard it in passing so not even sure I heard it right but the PS4 can charge the controller even when the PS4 is in standby mode? If that's right that's another awesome fix/feature. It's little things like that that give me hope :)[/QUOTE]

That would be nice currently I just plug it in to the front USB port on my DVR.

Honestly though, I prefer controllers to use AA batteries. I have a bunch if Eneloop rechargeable a so I always have some ready to go and find that less hassle than having to plug into charge. Easier to deal with, and can just swap out batteries and keep playing if it dies mid-game. (I can't really play plugged in as I don't have--or want to have--any USB cables long enough to reach my couch).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='htz']One more good news for the PS4.

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection[/QUOTE]
Nice, sounding better and better by the hour. I really want to know if they're going to charge for online play now. Honestly with confirmation of used games being playable and not always online they can probably charge for online play and I'd still buy it if the games are there. I really don't like saying that though.

The share button could be the best thing to happen to Rockstar games in ages.

Never miss the opportunity to share those crazy ass glitches that make the launch of those games so good. Hopefully the next Xbox has a similar feature as well.

Watched the first 5 minutes lastnight and got bored so decided to read what the bulk of it was today. From the sound of it it sounds okay. The PS3 is my last console/generation so it wasnt gonna matter to me what it was like but I was still interested to see what I would be missing.

Would liked to have seen the console design itself but that'll come later. No permanent online connection required and able to buy used games is a huge plus and puts pressure on M$ to act accordingly or drive its custom away and into the arms of Sony. Generally feel that I wont be missing out on a massive amount, would never make use of the social features, Im anti-facebook/twitter and all that so that would be wasted on me. And allowing people to play my games for me, why would I want to do that, buy a game, get it home and then let my friends play it for me while I sat and watched ? Might aswell just give them my cash o_O

[quote name='smartbombUK']And allowing people to play my games for me, why would I want to do that, buy a game, get it home and then let my friends play it for me while I sat and watched ? Might aswell just give them my cash o_O[/QUOTE]

Assuming they don't work around it, trophy hunters are going to fucking love this feature.

Trophy trading threads galore.

[quote name='KrebStar']Assuming they don't work around it, trophy hunters are going to fucking love this feature.

Trophy trading threads galore.[/QUOTE]
If you check eBay, people buy platinum trophies for certain games. They hand over their PSN account info and let the person play on it.

[quote name='htz']If you check eBay, people buy platinum trophies for certain games. They hand over their PSN account info and let the person play on it.[/QUOTE]

That level of sadness now made simpler by way of PS4! :lol:

I doubt I would get much use out of the feature myself, but I can definitely see situations where it could be fun. Being able to bring the old "Wow, that boss kicked your ass, let me try" fun of playing with friends on the couch online could be cool. It could potentially make for some interesting "Let's play" scenarios among friends as well.

[quote name='KrebStar']That level of sadness now made simpler by way of PS4! :lol:

I doubt I would get much use out of the feature myself, but I can definitely see situations where it could be fun. Being able to bring the old "Wow, that boss kicked your ass, let me try" fun of playing with friends on the couch online could be cool. It could potentially make for some interesting "Let's play" scenarios among friends as well.[/QUOTE]

The "let me try" thing you said is actually pretty interesting to me when I think about it. Could make for some fun times.

I wonder how they're going to stop person A from buying a game and person B from taking over and just playing the game.

It could also be used for turn based stuff or for grinding and such. Or as a demo basically if you want your friend to try out a game you want them to buy. Probably a lot of possibilities with it really.

Edit: CVG tweeted that Killzone will be a launch title according to Guerilla Games, so there's that. Not personally interested but still good to hear. I'll probably still buy it day one

CVG tweeted that Killzone will be a launch title according to Guerilla Games, so there's that. Not personally interested but still good to hear. I'll probably still buy it day one

"A headset will be bundled with PS4, enabling gamers to chat with friends during online gaming and to hear sound effects from the controller."

While the headset for the 360 was crap in terms of build quality, I like that it was bundled with the console. So props to Sony for doing the same with the PS4. It will make it easier when I can't find my bluetooth :)

Honestly, I REALLY like the look of the new DS4. I don't know...there's just something about it that screams "NEW" yet at the same time it's very familiar. I'm curious to see what developers will do with the touchpad. I'm even more interested to see what they will do with MOVE now that it's built right into the controller.

[quote name='KrebStar']Assuming they don't work around it, trophy hunters are going to fucking love this feature.

Trophy trading threads galore.[/QUOTE]

Im a trophy hunter, a completionist even, everything has to be at 100%, but i'll be damned if I let anyone else earn my trophies for me. Boasting a load of trophies I sat and watched someone else earn passing it off as my work ? Nah, not for me. You are very right though, I can see this being totally whored by some trophy hunters and even 'Skills for Sale' type things. Could also see some sort of rent a bored ass job avoider to get your prestige/XP grind trophies for you.

Really good news this morning reading that it will have a physical drive, play used games and not require an always on feature. It's kinda sad in retrospect that we have to worry about those things. I guess the trend of micro-transactions and season-pass DLC's are expected to pull in enough profit for all involved.

As for backwards compatibility, not at all surprised by the lack of it. And seriously, does anyone believe it's a hardware limitation? We all watched a 2-hour presentation telling us that the PS4 is powerful enough to socially network the entire world, stream everything, exponentially leap up the graphics, and in the words of Media Molecule "make our dreams come true" by 3-D rendering our own Pixar looking animation. But it CAN'T play a PS1 game? For fuck's sake, the PSP can jam an emulator and play them just fine. This wouldn't be because they (in Sony, MS, etc) figured out that they could SELL us those games in a digital store format?

Sony: PSN games won't transfer to the PS4, nor will your game saves

It's the morning after the night before, and Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has just confirmed to us that current-generation PSN titles won't transfer across to the PlayStation 4. The company admitted last night that PS3 games wouldn't be compatible with the latest console, but has added that it will try to make titles playable "in some form." Because the architecture of the Power-PC-based PS3 and x86-based PlayStation 4 are so different, Sony will only bring across games that don't guzzle the latest console's power in emulation. The executive also said that the company aims to offer server-side and cloud services to offer a wider library of older games, but said that's one for the "longer term."

Ouch.

[quote name='smartbombUK']Im a trophy hunter, a completionist even, everything has to be at 100%, but i'll be damned if I let anyone else earn my trophies for me. Boasting a load of trophies I sat and watched someone else earn passing it off as my work ? Nah, not for me. You are very right though, I can see this being totally whored by some trophy hunters and even 'Skills for Sale' type things. Could also see some sort of rent a bored ass job avoider to get your prestige/XP grind trophies for you.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trophies/achievements, and I know what you mean about enjoying your own accomplishments. It's just too easy to see how the feature can be used as the next stage of trophy boosting.

I can see why people would be down about no BC, but it's one of the last things I care about in a new console, maybe because I tend to hold on to my gaming tech. Glad to hear they won't be blocking used games though, because that would be one thing that can easily put me off from the next gen.

It's not shocking that PSN games won't transfer, because they were all developed for the entirely different PS3's processor. It can't run them, so not sure what point there would be in transferring them to it. To look at the titles?

Which doesn't make it any less a downside.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Really good news this morning reading that it will have a physical drive, play used games and not require an always on feature. It's kinda sad in retrospect that we have to worry about those things. I guess the trend of micro-transactions and season-pass DLC's are expected to pull in enough profit for all involved.

As for backwards compatibility, not at all surprised by the lack of it. And seriously, does anyone believe it's a hardware limitation? We all watched a 2-hour presentation telling us that the PS4 is powerful enough to socially network the entire world, stream everything, exponentially leap up the graphics, and in the words of Media Molecule "make our dreams come true" by 3-D rendering our own Pixar looking animation. But it CAN'T play a PS1 game? For fuck's sake, the PSP can jam an emulator and play them just fine. This wouldn't be because they (in Sony, MS, etc) figured out that they could SELL us those games in a digital store format?[/QUOTE]

Yes of course, i mean when i look forward to a console in 2013 i expect it to play and want to play games from a near 15 year old system never mind the fact that i could play those games on about 10 other platforms atm :roll:.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's not shocking that PSN games won't transfer, because they were all developed for the entirely different PS3's processor. It can't run them, so not sure what point there would be in transferring them to it. To look at the titles?

Which doesn't make it any less a downside.[/QUOTE]

This is disappointing news. Not shocking but still disappointing. I might as well stop buying PSN games now. There is no point to continue investing in games that I will have to rebuy in a couple of years when they are re-released for the PS4. The same goes for M$ if they intend to follow suit. There is something inherently wrong with this idea/business model.

bread's done
Back