PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I hope they recycle those on occasion, I missed out on a couple I meant to download like Sleeping Dogs and Walking Dead.

Seeing how they hired Mark Cerny as the lead architect for PS4 and his background being a software architect, the OS and hardware from the ground up should be much better than the PS3 compared to Ken Kutaragi who was a hardware engineer for PS3.
As a complete random aside, I just found out the other day that Mark Cerny went to my little tiny private high school (a few years before I did). I should hit him up for free stuff ;).

The only real question left for PS4 is how the cloud is going to work.

Also, ive downloaded games in the background just fine while playing games so I don't know where anyone is getting that from that you cant.

I think it was like that originally, They do still take a long time to dl and then installing them seems like a really unnecessary extra hoop when you can just download something on a 360 and it's there to play so hopefully they will fix that.

The only real question left for PS4 is how the cloud is going to work.

Also, ive downloaded games in the background just fine while playing games so I don't know where anyone is getting that from that you cant.
I thought it depended on what games you were playing. I think it was playing Sleeping Dogs while trying to download X-Com, but it changed to pending while I was doing that. Possibly the Social Hub integration there?

It does the same thing while watching Netflix.

Well Sony is not being as arrogant or cocky as they were when the PS3 first launched. Also PS4 has the better spec, more developer friendly, more friendly indie game policy, cost $100 less than their closes competitor, and no DRM announcement out of the gate. Yeah they are doing something right.

I watched the press conference they were just as arrogant as MS. You just don't think so because they said what you wanted to hear.

I went through the work of counting up the costs of all the free games (with a little help from the Regional PS+ thread), and the total is at $1275.24. This doesn't count the extra sale prices PS+ members get, or the Uncharted 3 Single Player portion which doesn't have the price online.

And this argument is bs. No one here would have ever purchased these at full price and I wouldn't have and didn't buy half of those games for my PS3. This is just as fair as my trade in argument that you guys jumped my bones about. You guys aren't allowed to use that either
What did they say that seemed arrogant in your opinion?

So the way the announce the used games and price and no DRM wasn't arrogant? :lol:
the updated psn
how group chat will work
what will work on system like headsets and what not
how the streaming of ps3 games will work
how the cloud gaming thing works
what the share feature really is
what kind of external hard drive it supports if any.

Their are tons of psn questions not answered which to me is the biggest issue that was with ps3 psn in my mind was awful servers are slow and to invite someone to game you have to add them to your friends list which was dumb, no party chat which is huge for a major live gamer like me.

ps1,ps2,ps3 was the same way sony don't like to share details of their systems including system it self and release date till like 2-3 months before its out.

Both have a lot if info to give soon, I agree.

No. It wasn't arrogant. They were proud of it and told gamers what they wanted to hear because a lot of people felt we were going to get fucked with DRM from both companies.

No. It wasn't arrogant. They were proud of it and told gamers what they wanted to hear because a lot of people felt we were going to get fucked with DRM from both companies.

Whatever dude. You apparently can't think objectively. If you look at it from the outside they both were arrogant pressers.

How the fuck am I attacking you? I asked a simple question because I was generally wondering what you thought was arrogant about them. I dont think ive actually really done any "shit talking to you" nor acting arrogant. I just simply don't agree with most of the things you are saying.

I honestly have no really problem with Microsoft other than their games really don't interest me as much as Sony or Nintendo games.

I will not be pre-ordering an Xbox One based on that fact but doesnt mean im not open to owning one later if games come out that do interest me.

The ones that do have some interest, I can easily get on PC which is a reason as to why im not interested in the Xbox One atm.

Only one here that is acting upset here is you. Apparently its ok for you to disagree because that's a "discussion" but if anyone disagrees with you, they are a shit talker and and arrogant.

To be fair, it seems like you're asking for most of it, WV. You and(to a lesser extent) Timbo are the ones arguing with everyone else. If you don't like a little aggressive debate/arguing then just stop posting.

I feel like we need to move away from this Sony vs. MS direction that this thread has turned to...

Hey guys, games and stuff!

For me the highlight of Sony's E3 conference wasn't so much that they said what I wanted to hear as much as it was that it was clear they heard anything we said in the first place and cared enough to do anything about it.

Edit: Specifically that their change occurred before it was clear there were financial repercussions is of significance to me as well. No matter if it was 5 months in advance or 5 minutes before they walked onto the stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I do agree with Matsui on is that any hero worship on Sony's part is misplaced at best. They are a business. They had a plan in place long before E3 and I seriously doubt some twitter campaign changed that. Luckily their plan coincided with what the majority of gamers want, but I'm about 95% sure they didn't look a twitter campaign and go shit, we better change course.

And this argument is bs. No one here would have ever purchased these at full price and I wouldn't have and didn't buy half of those games for my PS3. This is just as fair as my trade in argument that you guys jumped my bones about. You guys aren't allowed to use that either
I thought that was the point of PS+, giving us good games, where we otherwise wouldn't had paid full price for...

Unless you prefer Microsoft's method giving out games, where people would had most likely played. :)

Really? You wouldn't have paid full price for Walking Dead & Xcom? Two games that dominated GOTY lists? And most of those games are well-reviewed and top sellers so lots of people did pay full price for them or significantly more than FREE at any rate.

Really? You wouldn't have paid full price for Walking Dead & Xcom? Two games that dominated GOTY lists? And most of those games are well-reviewed and top sellers so lots of people did pay full price for them or significantly more than FREE at any rate.
I never pay full price for any game, even on games I buy on launch. I'm on CAG for a reason. ;)

I rarely do either thanks to trade-ins at the EVIL gamestop, but his assumption that no one would is right up there with Mattrick arrogance.

One thing I do agree with Matsui on is that any hero worship on Sony's part is misplaced at best. They are a business. They had a plan in place long before E3 and I seriously doubt some twitter campaign changed that. Luckily their plan coincided with what the majority of gamers want, but I'm about 95% sure they didn't look a twitter campaign and go shit, we better change course.

Technically speaking I agree with you here, but with a slight twist. Like you mentioned, first and foremost Sony is a business and their number one concern is money. Overall as a corporation, that's their top priority and they don't care about a single one of us outside of our wallets...

BUT.

Sony does have a lot of guys in the right place that do care because they are gamers themselves(like Adam Boyes, Shuhei Yoshida, Sid Shuman & Nick Suttner) so looking out for the fanbase's wants is looking out for themselves as they are a part of the community. I think that is where the difference takes place. Having people who do care in key positions is starting to show this upcoming generation as a good move, and I think actually is a big part of why it seems like Sony is doing so many things right.

You can't say the value is $1200 when you don't like every game that is free or download every game that is free.

Also, if you wouldn't let me say in the other thread that trading in $60 games for $15 didn't count because everyone didn't buy them at $60 the. The same cant be said in here. The value of PS+ is dynamic for each person. I think it is a great service and a great benefit. But you can't value it at $1200.

You can't say the value is $1200 when you don't like every game that is free or download every game that is free.

Also, if you wouldn't let me say in the other thread that trading in $60 games for $15 didn't count because everyone didn't buy them at $60 the. The same cant be said in here. The value of PS+ is dynamic for each person. I think it is a great service and a great benefit. But you can't value it at $1200.
There's different kinds of value guy.

ARV = Approximate retail value - $1200+

So yes, the actual value is over $1200. You can't argue this. I realize that not everyone likes or even tries every game that plus offers, and while that may affect your personal valuation of the service - it doesn't change the ARV - so the value of the sum of those games being worth $12XX doesn't change. You can't bend semantics to work however you want.

I keep hearing people using the defense that Sony is a business therefore they don't care about you, they just want your money.

But isn't the best way to run a business, is to listen to what your customers want, and prove them with what they want to buy?

Sony had been doing a lot of listening to consumers for a LONG time! That's kinda how PS+ was created, on the PS Blog they asked for suggestions and people made the suggestions and they listened.  Anyone remember some old Sony miscellaneous questionnaires..they took information from those too.  The best thing is to listen to the consumer, we tell you what we want..and then we buy! 

It's a good business model. 

This thread talks in circles...

Anyway, I am still super stoked about the PS4 as I feel ashamed of neglecting my PS3 for as long as I did and missed out on some great collector's pieces video game wise.

Never again will I fall for the dude bro console. It will now be secondary to the PS4 when I do decide to pick the X1 up. Even though, the only thing I would want from the X1 is their becoming lack luster exclusives. (In terms of quality or the hype they build up.)

Sony had been doing a lot of listening to consumers for a LONG time! That's kinda how PS+ was created, on the PS Blog they asked for suggestions and people made the suggestions and they listened. Anyone remember some old Sony miscellaneous questionnaires..they took information from those too. The best thing is to listen to the consumer, we tell you what we want..and then we buy!

It's a good business model.
http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/status/ideas-in-action/page/1/

http://youtu.be/-ulMh-uHIWQ?t=2h32m25s

Well admittedly it's not like there has been any news since E3 itself. There might not be anything really fresh to discuss til Gamescom or even TGS.

the updated psn

how group chat will work

what will work on system like headsets and what not

how the streaming of ps3 games will work

how the cloud gaming thing works

what the share feature really is

what kind of external hard drive it supports if any.

Their are tons of psn questions not answered which to me is the biggest issue that was with ps3 psn in my mind was awful servers are slow and to invite someone to game you have to add them to your friends list which was dumb, no party chat which is huge for a major live gamer like me.

ps1,ps2,ps3 was the same way sony don't like to share details of their systems including system it self and release date till like 2-3 months before its out.
Yeah, but none of this is as important as the stuff we already do know.

But, point-by-point (from my perspective):

1) the updated psn: hey, for me as long as it is as good as or better than the current PSN, I'm good.

2) how group chat will work: I don't care about any chat, so group chat is even less important to me ;). But I realize it is a "checkbox" type of thing for the console to have and a lot of people care about it. So I hope it comes and works well if only to shut people up from whining about it all the time.

3) what will work on system like headsets and what not: Eh, same as above. We know we need new controllers but that Move controllers will supposedly work. I guess I'd be curious if my Bluetooth headset will work, but I'm not dying to know that right now.

4) how the streaming of ps3 games will work: well, sure, would be nice to know. But we also know this isn't coming at launch so I don't suspect we'll hear much of anything about it until after launch. But on the flip side, I've resigned myself to lack of BC (except on the wonderful Wii U!) so I planned on keeping my PS3/360 around anyway. So even if this becomes a thing, I may never use it.

5) how the cloud gaming thing works: wait, what? Did you sneak an X1 question in there?

6) what the share feature really is: they've shown some video of this in action, haven't they? This is something that doesn't interest me all that much but it has been a focus of both systems, it seems, so it will be there. How exactly it works does not seem to be critical info to know 5 months in advance.

7) what kind of external hard drive it supports if any: again, completely superfluous at this point. 500GB will be plenty for a while. This might be an issue 1-3 years down the road. It is certainly not something that would effect my decision on getting either system in the slightest.

So all-in-all, with the exception of maybe the cross-game chat since that is such a big deal to some people that it might effect which system they get, the rest of this stuff is bells and whistles or things you won't even need for a while. None of that seems like critical stuff that Sony must divulge RIGHT NOW.

Technically speaking I agree with you here, but with a slight twist. Like you mentioned, first and foremost Sony is a business and their number one concern is money. Overall as a corporation, that's their top priority and they don't care about a single one of us outside of our wallets...

BUT.

Sony does have a lot of guys in the right place that do care because they are gamers themselves(like Adam Boyes, Shuhei Yoshida, Sid Shuman & Nick Suttner) so looking out for the fanbase's wants is looking out for themselves as they are a part of the community. I think that is where the difference takes place. Having people who do care in key positions is starting to show this upcoming generation as a good move, and I think actually is a big part of why it seems like Sony is doing so many things right.
The argument that corporations are greedy and all they care about is money is the argument you get from Microsoft fanboys and apologists. Why do they have this mentality? Well it's what they are used to. They don't understand that the guys at Sony aren't just after the mighty dollar, sure it's the number one priority, but it doesn't mean they are going to shit on everyone and everything to try and get it. You can see they have pride in their craft, they are proud of their brand, and they want their customers to feel the same way.

Microsoft on the other hand was willing to destroy their brand in an attempt to control the industry. Their guys come off like used car salesmen because you get the sense from them that they are just using the gaming industry as a tool to milk money out of people and they have no compassion for the industry or the people who love it. Hell if you watch this video of Don Mattrick from back in 1983 he is bragging more about the sports cars he bought then the pride he has in his video game product, in fact I'm not sure I even know what game he's talking about, but I know the make and model of the sports car he bought. And this attitude comes through loud and clear from Microsoft, probably why they like Don so much. Of course come Monday it will be interesting to see if Don still has his current position when the Microsoft shake up happens. Getting a new guy in there that is more gaming centric could really do wonders for the Xbox brand.

K2WRhdj.jpg

Beats the 0 games I got out of Xbox Live Gold last year for $35.
lmfao

I haven't really seen the PS Eye in action that much and I was wondering how does it perform. Here's a good video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo
Looks pretty similar to Kinect 1.0.

The only thing shown in the above video that could interest me is the interactions with the DS4. Since, you know, I'd rather hold a controller in my hands than WAVE MY ARMS AROUND LIKE AN IDIOT.

I just hope they keep it in the background, which is what Sony's strategy seems to be since it isn't included in the bundle.

I just hope they keep it in the background, which is what Sony's strategy seems to be since it isn't included in the bundle.
In the recent past, there has been some attention around motion-sensor devices as a way to get people excited about the consoles as they’ve been aging. Last night we didn’t hear much about that — from either console maker. What do you see as the future of motion sensors in gaming?

Jack Tretton: We’ve got a camera that we’re proud of that will retail separately for $59.99. We’ve certainly made the dev kits available for it. Whether our first-party studios or third-party studios are interested in it or think they can enhance gaming by using that, well, that’s certainly available to them. I think we’re not dictating to the consumer or to the development community that they need to take advantage of that. It’s there as an option. If they’re interested, we’ll continue to offer that. But the message, the value proposition we were trying to communicate last night didn’t include motion gaming or the camera.
I think Sony's approach is the correct way in doing this. Giving the consumer as much value for their money to get them in the door first. Then let the consumer themselves decide if they want to upgrade the experience. I'm sure developers are just as happy they don't have to take time out of development to shoehorn some motion controls in a game. Most of the triple A devs don't even discuss about motion controls, you only hear them talk about it during press conferences like E3. It pretty much indicates they don't have much interest in them themselves unless they are forced to include it.

Haven't been reading the pages of rage, but has Sony mentioned plans to upgrade PSN at all?  Free games from PS+ are nice, but as far as service is concerned if I'm going to be paying from here on out they need to step it up.  Constant disconnects, slow download speeds, et cetera are not going to cut it.

Haven't been reading the pages of rage, but has Sony mentioned plans to upgrade PSN at all? Free games from PS+ are nice, but as far as service is concerned if I'm going to be paying from here on out they need to step it up. Constant disconnects, slow download speeds, et cetera are not going to cut it.
Party chat sounds like a decent upgrade to me and you won't even need a PS+ subscription. As far as other specific upgrades, the details have been pretty thin, but cloud-based rendering is an interesting notion.

Haven't been reading the pages of rage, but has Sony mentioned plans to upgrade PSN at all? Free games from PS+ are nice, but as far as service is concerned if I'm going to be paying from here on out they need to step it up. Constant disconnects, slow download speeds, et cetera are not going to cut it.
http://youtu.be/1Mm3P4Ft-y4?t=4m49s

Jack Tretton said they will use that money to "invest heavily" back into the PSN platform.

Looks pretty similar to Kinect 1.0.

The only thing shown in the above video that could interest me is the interactions with the DS4. Since, you know, I'd rather hold a controller in my hands than WAVE MY ARMS AROUND LIKE AN IDIOT.

I hope that they keep it in the background as well. But for those mult-platform games I'm hoping that it'll be able to mimic some of the kinect 2.0 features.. not all but at least some of them.

sounds like a personal problem, cause I dont get constant disconnects (except on mvc2) nor slow download speeds.

sounds like a personal problem, cause I dont get constant disconnects (except on mvc2) nor slow download speeds.
I never get disconnects or lag, but I occasionally do see slower download speeds. Especially on Tuesdays after the store update when the servers are getting hammered. But yeah, services aren't nearly as bad as some make them out to be.

I never get disconnects or lag, but I occasionally do see slower download speeds. Especially on Tuesdays after the store update when the servers are getting hammered. But yeah, services aren't nearly as bad as some make them out to be.
IDK what to tell you guys other than some days PSN drops me a lot and then some days not at all. As for the DL rate, my PC has zero issues getting things fast but PSN is just throttled at a slower speed. Played shooters, MMOs, etc for years here on PC and no consistent lag/disconnect issues unless it's a shitty server so it's definitely not on my end. So based on personal experience over the last five years, when I'm even using my PS3, it has not been what I'd consider up to standards.

http://youtu.be/1Mm3P4Ft-y4?t=4m49s

Jack Tretton said they will use that money to "invest heavily" back into the PSN platform.
Yeah, that's just the same pillow talk we all heard. I'd like more concrete details.

IDK what to tell you guys other than some days PSN drops me a lot and then some days not at all. As for the DL rate, my PC has zero issues getting things fast but PSN is just throttled at a slower speed. Played shooters, MMOs, etc for years here on PC and no consistent lag/disconnect issues unless it's a shitty server so it's definitely not on my end. So based on personal experience over the last five years, when I'm even using my PS3, it has not been what I'd consider up to standards.

Yeah, that's just the same pillow talk we all heard. I'd like more concrete details.

I hardly ever get hit with disconnections(though I don't do the whole MP thing too much, I am signed in all the time), but of course things like that aren't going to be as good when compared to PCs.

I hardly ever get hit with disconnections(though I don't do the whole MP thing too much, I am signed in all the time), but of course things like that aren't going to be as good when compared to PCs.
Spoiler alert: the new consoles are PCs. Time to step up their game. ;)

bread's done
Back