PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

So over the past few days I have been dealing with GTA 5 looking not so great on my 55" tv. I got to thinking, is this going to happen on ps4? Then I realized I have no idea how this will be alleviated with PS4.

Can someone explain to me what exactly the improvements are on the PS4 compared to PS3 / Xbox 360 that will help with things like aliasing and frame rate? Jaggies in GTA are killing me. Only basic things I know are RAM/CPU in ps4 make it more powerful but not how so exactly. So 1080p = less jaggies etc? Just looking for someone to drop some knowledge on me.

So over the past few days I have been dealing with GTA 5 looking not so great on my 55" tv. I got to thinking, is this going to happen on ps4? Then I realized I have no idea how this will be alleviated with PS4.

Can someone explain to me what exactly the improvements are on the PS4 compared to PS3 / Xbox 360 that will help with things like aliasing and frame rate? Jaggies in GTA are killing me. Only basic things I know are RAM/CPU in ps4 make it more powerful but not how so exactly. So 1080p = less jaggies etc? Just looking for someone to drop some knowledge on me.
Jagged edges are remedied by anti-aliasing. Anti-aliasing can be rather GPU intensive which is why it's not used much on current gen games. PS3 and the 360 don't really have enough horsepower.

Theoretically titles on the PS4 and XB1 should have a good enough GPU to implement some form of anti-aliasing.

Jagged edges are remedied by anti-aliasing. Anti-aliasing can be rather GPU intensive which is why it's not used much on current gen games. PS3 and the 360 don't really have enough horsepower.

Theoretically titles on the PS4 and XB1 should have a good enough GPU to implement some form of anti-aliasing.
Not quite true. At least as far as the 360 is concerned. The 360 had special hardware built into one of its processors that was designed specifically for basic anti-aliasing. As such, developers are able to allow for 2x anti-aliasing on 360 games very easily, and with almost no performance cost. This has been a big advantage for the 360 when it comes to running games at higher resolutions, and is one of the big reasons behind most multi-platform games topping out at 720p on the PS3, but running smoothly at 1080p on the 360.

The PS3 is fully capable of applying anti-aliasing to its games, and even has the processing power necessary. But to handle anti-aliasing effectively developers have to dig deeper into the PS3's arcane architecture, and apply a lot more optimizations to their rendering. For most multi-platform games, the developers just never bother.

The PS4's architecture is looking to be a lot more developer-friendly, so it is likely that anti-aliasing will be much more common on PS4 games. (as developers won't have to bend over backwards to find the necessary performance)

Hopefully they can figure out how to implement FXAA on next-gen console games. While it's not as good as something like MXAA, the difference is very minimal while the performance hit with FXAA is relatively non-existent.

I thought Santa Monica studio had come up with some form of antialiasing for PS3 that worked very well without hurting performance too much, which they shared with other studios.

I thought Santa Monica studio had come up with some form of antialiasing for PS3 that worked very well without hurting performance too much, which they shared with other studios.
Even if they did, implementing it on GTA V, with how massive it is would probably either bog down performance to more than unplayable or take way too much time to implement.

PS4 could be in short supply for up to four months post launch – report
PlayStation 4 could be in short supply for up to four months post launch, according to sources close to Sony speaking with MCV.

20130823_ps4_playstation_4.jpg

The sources state that at present, the current number of units expected to arrive in the UK will unlikely satisfy consumer demand. With pre-orders having already surpassed original predictions and Sony cutting off day one orders, the firm is supposedly getting worried consumers will turn to buying an Xbox One instead if they find short supply at retail.

During gamescom, PlayStation UK chief Fergal Gara told MCV that pre-orders levels for PS4 were at a level “never seen before in our 20 years in this business,” noting that it was “pretty inevitable that demand will outstrip supply.”

Gara also told the site at the time Sony was working with retail to make sure both were managing consumer expectations “as much as possible.”

Sony announced during gamescom PS4 has received over one million pre-orders, and while a break down per region wasn’t disclosed, Europe is “right up there” with North America.

That article quite specifically refers to the UK. It doesn't surprise me that they would have higher demand across the pond. Europe has always had a stronger Playstation presence. Aside from that, I'm sorry for our English brethren. (and Scottish and Irish as well) Hopefully they will get some more supply once the other markets balance out a bit.

I'd guess they're really focusing stock on the US to try to take as much advantage as they can of all the negative PR MS got hit with.  They were behind here, but ahead in most of Europe (maybe all but the UK?) so makes sense to focus as much as they can on the US early on.

I need some help, guys. I have always been a multiple console person. This last generation I played far more 360 than PS3. Why? Because of the Dualshock 3. I suck really, really bad at playing with it. The only reason is the sticks. They are way too loose and have too much movement. I prefer the 360 controller in large part due to the sticks being more tight and responsive. When I play my PS3 I feel like a 4 year old. I always over-aim and have trouble moving. I just can't do it. Does anyone know if the Dualshock 4 has improved on this? And how much so? I have day one editions of both the PS4 and XB1 but I can only afford one of them. I would actually prefer to buy the PS4 but not unless the sticks on the Dualshock 4 are tight and responsive. If they have not significantly improved I'll go with the XB1. I just wanns say I'm not bashing the Dualshock 3. I know many people love it. I would too if I could use it. I just can't.

tl;dr: Have the Dualshock 4 sticks been tightened up and made more precise? Any and all info on this would be much appreciated.

Every single podcast I've listened to has raved about the Dualshock 4, and nearly all of them said they weren't fans of the DS3. Some even said it felt better than the Xbox One controller, though it's gotten pretty high praise as well.

Thanks Erad30. How early do you all think the demos will be popping up in stores? Maybe I can go in and try the Dualshock 4 before my PS4 ships. I need to decide well before release just to be safe, though. That way, if I don't like it I can cancel my order.

I'd guess they're really focusing stock on the US to try to take as much advantage as they can of all the negative PR MS got hit with. They were behind here, but ahead in most of Europe (maybe all but the UK?) so makes sense to focus as much as they can on the US early on.
I would imagine Sony's goal is to make sure they get the hot item of the holiday this year status. I see it every year, some item being the hottest item of the holidays. Sony's goal is to get that status and then have enough supply to feed it. I think Sony knows that in Europe and Japan it will do well. but in America it's all about making sure it's #1 again.

Looking forward to the PS4 although the only game I see having for awhile is Watch Dogs. Watch Dogs is probably my most anticipated game this year, partially because it's unique and partially because I deal with computer development for a living.

Last edited by a moderator:
PlayStation 4 Bundle Contains Killzone, Camera, Second Controller

And all for the same price as an Xbox One.
by Luke Karmali
September 26, 2013

Submit Tweet Share +1 Share
Update: Sony has confirmed a PlayStation 4 bundle first leaked on Amazon France last month will be released in Europe.

The company's UK boss Fergal Gara told Eurogamer that the bundle, which contains a copy of Killzone: Shadow Fall, two DualShock 4 controllers and the PlayStation Camera along with the console, will cost €499; the same price as Microsoft's Xbox One. A UK price has yet to be confirmed, though Gara asserted the bundle would be within £10 of the Xbox Ones's UK price.

"I can officially confirm that the answer is yes [Sony will bring the bundle to the UK]," he said. "It'll be similarly benchmarked in euro equivalent. PlayStation 4 is £349 and €399, so it will be the same equivalent.

It will be no more than a tenner either way [of the Xbox One £429 UK price].

"It will be no more than a tenner either way [of the Xbox One £429 UK price] depending on what conversation rate we use on the given day."

Opting for the bundle marks a saving of around £70 as opposed to buying the items separately. In contrast, Microsoft's Xbox One will come with FIFA 14, Kinect and a single Xbox One controller for the same price.

Gara also suggested that more bundles will be announced tomorrow. Anyone with an existing pre-order needn't worry about cancelling to upgrade, however. Gara explained retailers will be calling those who've pre-ordered in order of when they pre-purchased the console to offer them to chance to upgrade to one of the available bundles.

"It [the mega bundle] is in limited volume, and therefore it is probably going to go mainly to current pre-order customers, then follow-up volume may well be post-Christmas," Gara added.

Our retail partners are contacting their pre-order customers in order, so starting with the first, working up to when they run out of that special bundle, saying, we now have clarity on exactly what PlayStation 4 bundles we have to offer for day one.

"But there are other bundles that also represent incredibly good value. It's not just about having a good base price. We want to offer value in every way we can.

"Starting yesterday, our retail partners are contacting their pre-order customers in order, so starting with the first, working up to when they run out of that special bundle, saying, we now have clarity on exactly what PlayStation 4 bundles we have to offer for day one. Would you like option A, B, C or D?

"Everybody who has pre-ordered in the expectation they're getting just the PS4, including the DualShock 4 and the headset - the basic configuration. But as we've worked through the details and worked through the options we've come up with some great bundle offers. And it is only fair the first people in the queue get first chance to get that.

"It's a brilliant thing to do for the gamer. In theory there could be some free on day one, but I think it's unlikely, because the people in that queue are going to say yes please."

The PlayStation 4 will launch in Europe on November 29 and in North America on November 15, though no bundles have been confirmed for that territory just yet.

Original story: Sony is set to release a PlayStation 4 bundle that'll include a game and extra accessories for the same price the Xbox One will retail at in Europe.

Though the bundle hasn't been officially announced, that ever-trusty bastion of leaks Amazon France has revealed it'll include a copy of Killzone: Shadow Fall, the PlayStation 4 Camera and two DualShock 4 controllers. All this in addition to a Jet Black 500GB PlayStation 4 console.

At the moment the bundle is listed for retail at €499; the exact same amount as Microsoft's European Xbox One price.

In contrast, anyone who pre-orders Microsoft's console will be getting an Xbox One, Kinect and a copy of FIFA 14 for the same price.

Back in June we heard that Sony had decided against bundling the PlayStation 4 Camera in with the console to make sure it beat Microsoft when it came down to price. Upon reflection, the company seems to have decided it can afford to include it in a bundle after all.

IGN has been told that there's no official news on UK or European bundles at this time. As soon as we know more, we'll let you know.

So I am a two console guy, and have pretty much just been using my xbox the last year... but I am so excited to get the ps4 and the main reason for that is my Vita.  I got Vita on launch day and enjoyed a few games (Uncharted,The Show, and FIFA) but have not touched it since!  I was most looking forward to remote play, and when i tried it, it sucked!  Game lagged and there weren't many options to do it.

This is the biggest reason i am so stoked for launch!  Remote play!  If it works like they say it will, i believe it could be a game changer after people use it.

I don't know how many times over the last two weeks i have wanted to play GTAV and my wife has been watching something or another.  And I just think when it comes out I will be able to play anywhere in the house at anytime!  Honestly that alone makes it worth it for my purchase.  Plus I will be getting ps+ when I get my ps4 and look forward to the free games on my vita (now to get a bigger memory card).

I don't know how xboxone owners are able to ignore this feature?!

Every single podcast I've listened to has raved about the Dualshock 4, and nearly all of them said they weren't fans of the DS3. Some even said it felt better than the Xbox One controller, though it's gotten pretty high praise as well.
Yeah, John and CheapyD talked about this a bit on the most recent CagCast. Give it a listen. Spoiler: they both loved the DS4 and they both hated the DS3.

So apparently The Order: 1886 is in the new issue of GI. Haven't gotten that in the mail yet but a lot of places are calling it Gears of War with werewolves. Boo, I so do not want Gears of War with werewolves...

So apparently The Order: 1886 is in the new issue of GI. Haven't gotten that in the mail yet but a lot of places are calling it Gears of War with werewolves. Boo, I so do not want Gears of War with werewolves...
Well considering I was an avid Gears player on 360 and I'm seriously considering jumping ship to PS4 as my secondary gaming platform behind PC, I'm excited about it. I really just want to play Destiny.

I can't justify $500 for X1 when the same majority of games are coming out for 360 and I personally don't see much of an "upgrade" to the X1 from the 360. I'm glad to see the XMB is more responsive on PS4, that was one of my biggest complaints on PS3, that and the fact that I didn't feel the XMB was as useful as the Xbox menu on 360.

whats makes it a gears of war like game. why not compare it to uncharted instead. both are 3rd person cover based shooters.
My guess is that it is probably more of a shooter (fluid shooting mechanics/run and gun) less of an action adventure game (puzzle solving, exploration and platforming). Either way my interest is piqued.

I'm fine with that so long as it doesn't pull a Jericho with swapping between four characters. I hate games like that. One badass to rule them all.

Eh I was just hoping for it not to be another shooter, this next-gen is already flooded with them between COD,Battlefield, Killzone, Titanfall, Destiny, Halo etc.

Eh I was just hoping for it not to be another shooter, this next-gen is already flooded with them between COD,Battlefield, Killzone, Titanfall, Destiny, Halo etc.
It seems like most of the variety next generation will be from indie games. Shooters are still a good money maker so that is where big developers will go.

You can't see yourself in any of those games though. You can see yourself in the Order game.

It seems like most of the variety next generation will be from indie games. Shooters are still a good money maker so that is where big developers will go.
Truth. I think we're going to see a shift with indie being the primary (or only?) source of new and interesting games and large studios shrinking and only putting out a handful of big rehash releases every year of the usual IPs.

gallery_330445_8253_325999.jpg

gallery_330445_8253_142158.jpg

Pictures taken from my local Best Buy. Looks like they are all set and are just waiting for the demo unit (Manager hinted at maybe later this month).

^ That is beautiful to see, hopefully my store puts the demo unit up soon cause I cant wait to get my hands on the DS4. Lots of hands on previews are saying it's the best next gen controller. Can't believe we're only a month away! :bouncy:

Kinda bummed Amazon is still apparently out of bundles......thinking maybe just buying a console/bundle here at the Schofield PX with no tax might be better.

watch dogs and the crew is delayed till spring 2014 :( if i was sony i would be very upset right now watch dogs was a major game they were pushing to get people to buy a ps4 to play that game. ubisoft sure loves to delay games couple weeks before they are out first it was rayman now watch dogs.

watch dogs and the crew is delayed till spring 2014 :( if i was sony i would be very upset right now watch dogs was a major game they were pushing to get people to buy a ps4 to play that game. ubisoft sure loves to delay games couple weeks before they are out first it was rayman now watch dogs.
I did not see the delay of watchdogs coming. Very surprised to see it be delay.

Guess I'll post this here too....

One more reason I'm glad I decided to hold off on next gen for a while.  Just not enough games at launch that personally interest me enough to shell out $400-500 for a console, and $60 a pop for games.  I have more than enough to keep me busy through next spring, if not summer or fall, so I'll wait for more to be out, have more info on how the X1 and PS4 stack up, and can hopefully buy when there's some type of bundle deal, free gift card etc.--worst case some of the launch games will be cheaper by then.

BJ's has release day delivery preorder available now

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/321107-101513-bjs-ps4-preorder-for-release-day-delivery/

MS probably paid for timed exclusivity of Watch Dogs being taken off the market until Spring 2014.

Guess I'll post this here too....

One more reason I'm glad I decided to hold off on next gen for a while. Just not enough games at launch that personally interest me enough to shell out $400-500 for a console, and $60 a pop for games. I have more than enough to keep me busy through next spring, if not summer or fall, so I'll wait for more to be out, have more info on how the X1 and PS4 stack up, and can hopefully buy when there's some type of bundle deal, free gift card etc.--worst case some of the launch games will be cheaper by then.
Honestly, I'm just ready for a new console. It does look like a typical launch, but that's ok. I'm ready for the new hotness.

That's fair. I'm not as I've been gaming less and less and this still have a lot to play on PS3 and 3DS.

So I can ride it out, take more time to see which next gen console is the best fit for me if I decide to keep gaming on consoles beyond the current gen, and hopefully save some money in the process.

Damn, Watch Dogs was the only game I was going to get, as Infamous Second Son is delayed until next year as well. Now I have to find another game to play. :/

bread's done
Back