PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I thought all Playstation shooters used the bumpers... I just check the manual for CoD: Black Ops and they use the bumpers for shooting.
Varies. Some games let you switch to triggers and some don't. As for killzone, the 2nd one didn't let you use the triggers to aim /shoot, but the third one did--you could set it up to be pretty much CoD controls. Worked great with the Pelican Real Trigger attachments.

Well, thanks to the Amazon promo it looks like I'm getting a DS4 this Friday. Seems kind of silly but I guess I'll put it up on the shelf in the place where the PS4 will go and look at it for 2 weeks ;).
The DS4 is compatible with both PC and Mac OS so you can definitely get some mileage out of it before the PS4 release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone want to sell me on the PS4 over the Xbox One? I locked in pre-orders for both over the summer but have been planning/assuming all along that I'd get the Xbox One (last gen I probably gamed 80% on my 360, 10% on my PS3 and 10% on my Wii) but am just wondering whether that's the right call.... considerations:

• Controller - I strongly preferred the 360 controller over the PS3 controller and honestly this was the number one reason why the 360 was my default system last gen. I understand that the PS4 controller is supposed to be a pretty big improvement but do you think it's enough to convert someone who had a strong preference last gen?
  • Cost - negligible, but all things considered I'd rather not spend an extra $100, especially if the cheaper product was a better fit anyway
  • Games - Xbone has more titles I want at release (Dead Rising 3) but I imagine the difference will subside over time + I plan to ultimately own both systems so will be able to play the titles I missed out on anyway
  • Graphics - I haven't followed it closely but it seems like the growing consensus is that the PS4 has, at least at launch, the better looking games... true?
 Please no flaming, would just appreciate constructive thoughts one way or the other.

heads up to everyone the connection for charge cable is different for PS4 than PS3. Also they do not give you a charge cable you need a Micro B to USB. didn't realize this till I got home going to pick up one today so I can use it on my PS3

Please no flaming, would just appreciate constructive thoughts one way or the other.
Your analysis was fairly comprehensive.

The controller is a bit of a toss up. I agree that the 360's controller was superior to the PS3's. Sony was very lazy with the design of the Dualshock 3. The good news is that the PS4 is actually going to have a redesigned controller. From initial impressions, it seems that it is much better and more comfortable than the Dualshock 3. But there is no way to tell for certain without trying it yourself. I would say try to find a demo unit at stores and give it a feel. Also, Microsoft is not sitting idle, and their controller also seems like an improvement on their initial design. I played the XBox One at PAX and can confirm that it's controller felt very good. So that part of the equation is kind of up in the air. The XBox One might have the advantage if you prefer the placement of its analog sticks.

The cost is firmly in favor of the Playstation 4. Even the PS4 + Camera solution is cheaper than the baseline XBox One. If you are desperate to shave off a few extra dollars, the PS4 is the clear option. The PS4 is also more likely to have a strong and consistent indie showing in the digital space, so low-cost games are going to be fairly abundant.

At launch, the XBox One will indeed have an advantage for exclusive titles. However, the PS4 is likely going to have an edge in multi-platform titles. Neither is going to have a particularly strong launch showing overall. The PS4 will have a slight advantage for running multi-platform titles. It isn't going to be held back the same way for multi-platform titles the way the PS3 was.

Graphics are also slightly in the PS4's favor. It is going to have more raw power available to it. I don't think this will matter much near launch though. The real determining factor for graphics this early is how long each developer has been involved with the system they are working for. By and large the graphics for both systems will be an incremental step up from what's on current systems. We won't be seeing the real jaw-dropping graphics for another year at least. The PS4 will eventually edge out the XBox One, and will likely do so across the board, not just for exclusive titles. (much better architecture choices this time around)

To follow up richards post, I think in the long run the PS4 may have more exclusives with the number of first party studios Sony has.  Not to mention with the buy 2 get 1, the $30 PS+ on BF, and the $100 lower price tag... you could save a lot of money over either system. 

What we're getting for the first month of Playstation Plus:

Contrast (PS4)

Resogun (PS4)

10579412215_cd237f1d8c_o.jpg
10579690613_ce5ed04a49_o.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/31/playstation-plus-november-preview/

ODD WORLD STRANGERS WRATH!!!!  So excited for PS Plus this month!  comparing that lineup to what MS just annonced..... WOW!  :bow:

Ps4 killzone and fifa all paid off.  Gamestop better get enough to cover my preorder day one.  Alreay took entire weekend off work.   In fact I already have killzone

Just curious, aside from sports games and Lego Marvel and PSN (flow, etc). There's no offline co-op?  Especially any of the FPS. I know BF has little side/arcadey type missions.  But was hoping more for a campaign.

The cost is firmly in favor of the Playstation 4. Even the PS4 + Camera solution is cheaper than the baseline XBox One. If you are desperate to shave off a few extra dollars, the PS4 is the clear option. The PS4 is also more likely to have a strong and consistent indie showing in the digital space, so low-cost games are going to be fairly abundant.
Can't really compare the PS Eye to the Kinect 2.0. The Eye has nowhere near the capabilities of the new Kinect.

Can't really compare the PS Eye to the Kinect 2.0. The Eye has nowhere near the capabilities of the new Kinect.
It's going to be able to do everything the previous Playstation Eye could, and it's already confirmed that it will incorporate voice commands. Advanced gesture recognition isn't going to be the big selling point for using a camera as a general interface. The voice recognition is what's going to impress for general consumers. And the PS4 will have that, for less money. The new Playstation Eye will also be able to simulate pointing/mouse controls thanks to the default light-bar on the front of the Dualshock 4. The Kinect will not. No one is going to want to play a rail shooter by waving their hands around.

In short, the Kinect 2.0 will be more powerful and have more capabilities. But it is questionable if those extra features will actually matter, or if they will be worth the extra expense to consumers. The peripheral needs software to back it up. Their interface for the Kinect 2.0 is going to have to run perfectly in order to convince consumers.

wampa8jedi, don't know if you have PS+ or not, but that's another point in favor of the PS4. You will be getting free games so you can play those while waiting for more regular games to come out and/or get cheaper. With the X1 you will have to shell out more money for something to play. So that may make the PS4 even cheaper relatively speaking.

Personally I'm more excited for the free PS+ Contrast and Resogun than any of the $60 games for either system. But then I'm not really an FPS/multiplayer gamer. So I kind of feel like X1 is not for me because of that. I'm still getting one - but it is mostly for my son. I'll probably be playing the PS4 much more.

wampa8jedi, don't know if you have PS+ or not, but that's another point in favor of the PS4. You will be getting free games so you can play those while waiting for more regular games to come out and/or get cheaper. With the X1 you will have to shell out more money for something to play. So that may make the PS4 even cheaper relatively speaking.

Personally I'm more excited for the free PS+ Contrast and Resogun than any of the $60 games for either system. But then I'm not really an FPS/multiplayer gamer. So I kind of feel like X1 is not for me because of that. I'm still getting one - but it is mostly for my son. I'll probably be playing the PS4 much more.
Are you getting both at launch? As noted, I'm worried I'm going to fall into that category...

Yes, have a PS+ subscription so that's unquestionably a notable perk.

PS4: The Ultimate FAQ - North America

Anyone else notice you need a one time internet (or mail in for bluray disc) connection to activate bluray+dvd play back on PS4? Why?

Will I be able to watch Blu-ray movies on PS4?

Yes, you will need to download and install PS4’s day-one system software update 1.50, and then activate your Blu-ray Disc video capability with a one-time activation through the internet in order to play Blu-ray Disc films and DVD video content.

What if I’m not able to or don’t want to connect my PS4 system online?

PS4 owners in North America can contact SCEA Consumer Services at (800) 345-7669 to request a Blu-ray activation disc that will be distributed via mail.

wampa8jedi said:
Are you getting both at launch? As noted, I'm worried I'm going to fall into that category...

Yes, have a PS+ subscription so that's unquestionably a notable perk.
Yeah, I'm getting both. But like I said, I'm only getting the X1 at launch because my son wants it.

PS4: The Ultimate FAQ - North America

Anyone else notice you need a one time internet (or mail in for bluray disc) connection to activate bluray+dvd play back on PS4? Why?
They finalized the hardware before the firmware. They had to start cranking these things out before all of the software/licensing issues were ironed out, but I don't think that will be a huge deal. Day one firmware updates have become too common. Annoying, but common.

That makes sense. You could buy a PS3 that's been sitting at Kmart for 4 years now. Then hook it up and never update it, theoretically. But the same thing could be for PS4 if you buy it at launch, then never take it online after that one-time for 4+ years for those "new" licensing issues.

Was only just curious, my consoles are online and I use online features.

I think this is really cool, admittedly I did not wanna miss out on free games and this way I can just download them when I actually get a PS4:

Now, if you have PS+ but won’t have a PS4 for a while after launch, so you can add Resogun and Contrast to your account anyway via the Sony Entertainment Network webstore once they’re added to the Collection.

Ps4 killzone and fifa all paid off. Gamestop better get enough to cover my preorder day one. Alreay took entire weekend off work. In fact I already have killzone
I feel like we are the same person haha. I just paid both of those off at gamestop as well.

Thanks for the thoughts... still very much on the fence! Which is scary cause I could see myself getting both if I'm not careful....
If we're just talking about pure launch content, I would have to say that the XBox One would be the better bet. This sort of scenario is worth taking into account if you're intending to get both eventually. At launch, the XBox One is going to have an edge in exclusive content. It's going to have Forza, and its going to have Red Dragon. Microsoft shelled out the extra money necessary to have more exclusive content for their system at launch. If you will be getting both eventually, the XBox One has more to offer for the short term.

Long-term, I would recommend the PS4. I think Sony has been making a lot of smart decisions, while Microsoft has been making plenty of mistakes. (and not just in their gaming division) I also highly favor a lot of the exclusive studios and developers that Sony has managed to court. I think their exclusives going forward are going to be much stronger than Microsoft's, even without Titanfall.

Anyone want to sell me on the PS4 over the Xbox One? I locked in pre-orders for both over the summer but have been planning/assuming all along that I'd get the Xbox One (last gen I probably gamed 80% on my 360, 10% on my PS3 and 10% on my Wii) but am just wondering whether that's the right call.... considerations:

• Controller - I strongly preferred the 360 controller over the PS3 controller and honestly this was the number one reason why the 360 was my default system last gen. I understand that the PS4 controller is supposed to be a pretty big improvement but do you think it's enough to convert someone who had a strong preference last gen?
  • Cost - negligible, but all things considered I'd rather not spend an extra $100, especially if the cheaper product was a better fit anyway
  • Games - Xbone has more titles I want at release (Dead Rising 3) but I imagine the difference will subside over time + I plan to ultimately own both systems so will be able to play the titles I missed out on anyway
  • Graphics - I haven't followed it closely but it seems like the growing consensus is that the PS4 has, at least at launch, the better looking games... true?
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm a 360 gamer 90% of the time with a strong loyalty to the 360 controller. For me I have both consoles on order and have been waiting for reviews and stuff to leak out before launch to make my final decision.

For me I don't like the direction MS is going personally. I don't really care if my box is a do everything box. I just want to play games rent a occasional movie and stream netflix. All that kinect stuff I'll just turn off. I remember trying to watch the xbox E3 press conference on my xbox 360 and the kinect commands were so problematic that every time they said XBox in the video it would pause stream. By the end I had to unplug the stupid gizmo just to get through the video. I never plugged it back in. So for me I am considering the PS4 more so than the xbox one this time around. I already received my PS4 controller I had on pre order and it feels pretty good. Without games to play it's hard to tell but I think I may be able to get used to it. So for me I'm opting to get killzone, bf4, cod ghosts and ac4 on ps4 and get the xbox one as a xmas gift for the family and get ryse, forza 5 and dead rising 3 on xmas. If I prefer the xbox one after I actually have it I'll probably get the next group of fps games and multiplatform games on it and give my ps4 to my kids.

That's my 2 cents but if the PS4 is really good I'll be cancelling my xbox one altogether and waiting for titanfall to get titanfall bundle or something.

A lot of the dates really aren't set in stone. Destiny, Watch Dogs, Thief and Drive Club are all set for either Early 2014 or "Spring 2014." inFamous: Second Son should be February and Final Fantasy XIV is set for the Japanese Launch Day (February 22, 2014).

Ahem, he said 'good'. :lol:

But seriously, it will probably be a year until we start seeing titles roll out, like The Order, FFXV, and (praying for a Dark Souls game) others. I don't have much faith in Watch Dogs being that great anymore.

I'm so very torn right now...  I know I'm for sure getting KZ & ACIV.  But I can't decide if I want to take advantage of the Target B2G1.  I mean, I was planning on getting KZ @ GS with credit, and then grabbing the ACIV CE from Amazon with credit.  That leaves me with Knack & NBA 2K14 as the other wildcards I have interest in... And nothing else.  So, it's either spend more money and forget about burning some GS credit - or ditch the B2G1 and wait for a drop on Knack & NBA(which I have a feeling will happen pretty quickly for Knack).  This would be so much easier if Super Mario 3D World was coming out the same week.  

Decisions, decisions...

Will the firmware update be available to download on us.playstaiton.com and put on a flash drive before the system launches?  Would like to get that out of the way right away. 

Will the firmware update be available to download on us.playstaiton.com and put on a flash drive before the system launches? Would like to get that out of the way right away.
This was mentioned in the FAQ.

Will I be able to install system software update 1.50 via a USB drive?
Yes, you will be able to download the firmware to your PC and transfer it to PS4 using a USB memory stick. However, to use the USB method the first time you take PS4 out of the box and before installing system software update 1.50, you’ll need to enable safe mode. When PS4 is powered off, press and hold the Power Button for seven seconds to enter safe mode. Note: Users should only update using official files downloaded from PlayStation.com.
The update was available on line a few days ago, but appears to have been pulled. Hopefully it will be up again before the 15th. Either way, it's not a big deal since it's been stated that the update will be able to be done in the background.

I think in the end both consoles will be great. I think the reason the decision is so hard this time around is because they are releasing around the same time and Sony didn't screw the pooch this time (MS almost did though).

I agree with some others that Xbone currently has the edge with launch content, but there is some concern. There have already been two multi platform games that are having issues on the Xbone (i.e. COD:Ghosts & BF4 with lower resolution on the Xbone). I hope for gamers and MS sake this trend does not continue.

Next-Gen Games Will Fill Our New Consoles' Hard Drives In No Time
ku-bigpic.png

The PlayStation 4's internal hard drive is 500GB, and if you buy and start playing just two of its launch day first-person shooters this month, you'll already be using more than a 10th of the drive. Welcome to a somewhat different era of console gaming.

Above you'll the see part of the back of the box for Call of Duty Ghosts on PS4. It requires 49GB of space on the PS4's 500 GB hard drive. Killzone: Shadow Fall requires 45GB.

The PS4 requires users to dedicate hard drive space to all games they play. According to the console's official FAQ:

All PS4 Blu-ray Disc games must be cached to the hard drive to ensure a smooth gaming experience. However, certain titles may not require you to wait for the game data to be fully cached before starting gameplay. In order to start playing disc-based games, users will need to insert the game disc into PS4 just like on the PS3 system.

This isn't just a PS4 thing. As we reported back in February before the console was even officially announced, the Xbox One also requires that all games be stored on its hard drive and run from there.

Like the PS4, the Xbox One will launch with a 500GB hard drive. And also like the PS4, some games on Xbox One can be played while they're installing. We don't know which games, and we don't know how long players will have to wait to play CoD, Killzone or any other launch game on the two consoles.

The hard drive installation requirement on these new machines is likely in place for performance. The consoles can pull data more quickly off a hard drive than they can off the Blu-Ray discs that PS4 and Xbox One games will be sold on. Running games off the hard drive should also keep the Blu-Ray drive from needing to spin much and make a lot of noise.

The need to store games on the systems will force PS4 and Xbox One gamers to adopt a PC gamers' sense for balancing what's installed and what isn't and therefore what is or isn't available to play immediately. If a console can only fit 10 or so major releases, which ones will you keep on there—especially if installation times prove to be even just a few minutes longer than is ideal?

The PS4 hard drive will be swappable, so users will be able to give themselves more storage. The machine won't support external drives.

The Xbox One hard drive will not be swappable, but it will support external drives, just not at launch.

Even once you install a game to a PS4 or Xbox One hard drive, you'll still need to put the game's disc in the console to run it. Microsoft famously and notoriously had been planning to not require that with a now-tabled plan to treat all disc and download Xbox One games as purely digital, non-physical entities. Each disc game, once installed, would verified by a once-a-day online check to ensure you had the right to play the game sans disc (one wonders if/when some gamers will get tired of discs and ask for that program back at least as an option).

Gamers won't really have a full 500GB of drive space on the Sony and Microsoft consoles. Both machines will use some storage for system software. We don't know how much space the PS4 software will use. Microsoft has warned that its system software "uses a significant amount of storage."

Over in Wii U land, game installations are not required. The system comes with a scant 32GB of storage (of which about 25GB is available for games) but supports external drives.

All three new-generation consoles are or are expected to offer all major first-party games for download if all of this disc stuff sounds too annoying. Then again, if you download your games and run out of room, you'll have a storage headache of your own. Hey, PC gamers have had to deal with this for years and they seem like a happy enough bunch. Console folks will survive.

We'll have plenty more about the experience of gaming on the PS4 and Xbox One throughout the month. The PS4 will be out in less than two weeks (Nov 15) and the Xbox One a week after that.

-I'm thinking a bigger hard drive will practically be a necessity for either console...

I still won't need a drive since I just delete game installs after I beat the game and sell it off.  Will be a major issue for people who collect games and want to keep everything installed for sure though.

I still won't need a drive since I just delete game installs after I beat the game and sell it off. Will be a major issue for people who collect games and want to keep everything installed for sure though.
True but even a 1tb drive which is about the largest laptop drive that will fit in there won't be big enough then. I hope all games don't require installs. Oh well I'm keeping my ps3 for storing videos then I guess. Maybe somebody will come up with a sata cable adaptor that allows you to use a 3.5" drive outside the ps4. Come to think of it I bet something like that already exists. If anyone knows the name of what i'm thinking about? Edit somethig like this. Edit again. I see no reason why that wouldn't work. Picks here http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/10/31/ps4-uses-a-5400-rpm-sata-ii-hard-drive-users-can-install-anything-less-than-9-5mm-larger-than-160gb/ looks like it would be super simple.
test2.JPG.jpg

[quote name="el swordo" post="11187923" timestamp="1383489821"]
True but even a 1tb drive which is about the largest laptop drive that will fit in there won't be big enough then. I hope all games don't require installs. Oh well I'm keeping my ps3 for storing videos then I guess. Maybe somebody will come up with a sata cable adaptor that allows you to use a 3.5" drive outside the ps4. Come to think of it I bet something like that already exists. If anyone knows the name of what i'm thinking about? Edit somethig like this. Edit again. I see no reason why that wouldn't work. Picks here http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/10/31/ps4-uses-a-5400-rpm-sata-ii-hard-drive-users-can-install-anything-less-than-9-5mm-larger-than-160gb/ looks like it would be super simple.
test2.JPG.jpg
[/quote]
You'll see 2tb drives within the year. But I really don't understand all the gripe its the same way now on current gen systems and phones, ipads and most other devices with storage except pcs where you can easily add more. I mean even on the xbox one do you or others intend on buying external storage every time you fill one? Seems pricey and ridiculous to me... But its already been confirmed games dont require necessary installs they can just be cached on the drive. Xbox one however does require it while the ps4 won't yosp confirmed that awhile ago.
Not directed at you or anyone in particular just toward the gripe...

This is what I'm picking up before/on launch. Super excited! Saved up for this shiznit! =D

Knack

Lego Marvel

Battlefield 4

Assassins Creed 4

PS4 controller (extra)

Playstation Camera

Playstation 4 system (of course)

GREATNESS AWAITS!

Installs are not mandatory... Buy it still caches the game for use otherwise they will not boot as quickly. But I still dont see the issue they could easily patch in usb support later pretty sure that was confirmed it would be down thebroad at some point. So I don't understand the complaint hardly different than this gen except game sizes may ne bigger for multiplatform now that we aren't handicapped by the xbox 360's disc size limitations(finally) :)

So on ps4 are you allowed to install all your disc based games if you want too?   Kind of like on the 360 where you could just dump the entire disc onto console?  

bread's done
Back