PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Got to say I have been playing Tomb Raider and Lara looks like crap Environments and everyone/thing else is nice but Lara holy shit... She looks like a cross dresser with too much make up.

Got to say I have been playing Tomb Raider and Lara looks like crap Environments and everyone/thing else is nice but Lara holy shit... She looks like a cross dresser with too much make up.
I didn't find any of the character models, beside Lara's hair, to be very realistic-looking. Felt VERY 2nd gen on the videos she'd watch during the game, actually. But the environments did indeed look great.

I used my OG Pulse Headset last night and it was nice to have it.  Just a question, anyone who tried them, did it drop audio at all for like a second during gameplay sporadically?  I was playing Ass Creed Pirates and it would drop at random.  Not a big deal, but it was almost like it lost connectivity for a second.

“PlayStation Now is a joke,” says Pachter
Wednesday, 5th February 2014 13:14 GMT 11 By Dave Cook

PS Now has been branded “a joke” by Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

It follows leaked footage Sony’s PS3 cloud-streaming beta, which showed a user loading up PS Now and playing Killzone 3 over the cloud.

Speaking with Game Informer, Pachter said of PS Now, “PlayStation Now is a joke. There is no publisher that is going to license content that’s less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can’t sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental.

“This has no prayer of working. None.”

Pachter’s rationale is that publishers will not license their game for monthly streaming as it will dent their ‘per-unit’ sales, along the same lines as bands on Spotify.

What do you make of Pachter’s reaction?

-As it looks now I don't necessarily disagree, because it looks like at first it's only going to be first party PS3 titles on PS3. Especially if that emulation rumor is true.

I don't think the gaming community takes him seriously, people who make serious money take him very seriously.

All I know is that most of the best games from last gen were first party games for Sony...  But I definitely could see some publishers jump aboard.  I mean really the next gen systems are out and doing Playstation Now affords you two benefits. 

1. to get a little more money for games that probably wouldn't sell much anymore due to it being old hardware.

2. The Netflix affect - people can go and play game series they didn't have a chance to, allowing a greater fan base for some games, and more sales int he event of a sequel.

I think this guy is wrong...

wait so he thinks having chance to rent games digital will make people not make games for ps4? People have been able to rent games for over 20 years now and don't seem like that killed the industry. i'm not even that dumb to say that and i have said some dumb things in the past. ...... :wall:

wait so he thinks having chance to rent games digital will make people not make games for ps4? People have been able to rent games for over 20 years now and don't seem like that killed the industry. i'm not even that dumb to say that and i have said some dumb things in the past. ...... :wall:
Uh where does it say that anywhere? All he says (and I think he's right on this) is that no third party would put a new game or even a game that's been out less than a couple years on something like PS Now because it would hurt their sales significantly. He does not say anything to the effect of nobody making games for the PS4.

Uh where does it say that anywhere? All he says (and I think he's right on this) is that no third party would put a new game or even a game that's been out less than a couple years on something like PS Now because it would hurt their sales significantly. He does not say anything to the effect of nobody making games for the PS4.
miss understood it but stil not sure why companys would not do it. Whats the diff of companys putting games for free on ps plus and ps now. who knows how ps now will work it's possible it works like ps plus that only certain games are on it for a certain amount of tie and they swap out.

if companys put games on ps now just like ps plus im sure they get a nice pay day from doing it so i don't see many companys turning that down when most games to start are from ps1-ps3 era which im sure don't make them tons if any profit anymore.

Companies can be weird about their IP. Why aren't there more classic games on PSN/Virtual Console? Seems like easy money. Also if for any reason they think there is more money to be made another way (i.e. hd re-release or collection or even releasing it on mobile with app purchases which we've seen a few examples of lately) they won't go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
well if most of the games to start are ps only games from ps1-ps3 era i would not mind seeing there was so many amazing ps only games over that time. I'm sure sony has had this in works for awhile now so im sure they feel like they have enough backing from industry to go ahead with the service. 

i will admit i love the idea of this service and could only hope ms/nintendo would follow with a service like this.

If he's such an idiot, why does he make more than you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8wLg5Asgo

How would releasing a game on PSNow be any different from PS+? There's plenty of recent games on there given away for "free" and doesn't seem to affect publisher's already participating.

I dont think PSN now is even for PS4 games, its for PS1-PS3 games so whats the issue?
This.

Everyone needs to slow their roll. As far as I know, Sony has never once said that PS4 games will be a part of PS Now. It's just a streaming service to bridge the gap of not having backwards compatibility and to offer people the chance to "rent" games that either didn't have a PS1/2/3 or no longer have them.

Of course publishers aren't going to want new games on the service, but that's not the point of it to begin with.

This.

Everyone needs to slow their roll. As far as I know, Sony has never once said that PS4 games will be a part of PS Now. It's just a streaming service to bridge the gap of not having backwards compatibility and to offer people the chance to "rent" games that either didn't have a PS1/2/3 or no longer have them.

Of course publishers aren't going to want new games on the service, but that's not the point of it to begin with.
Did Sony say PS4 games wouldn't be on it? I haven't been keeping up with it.

Regardless, what Pachter said is right about it. No company is going to put a game on it that's remotely recent since nobody would go out and buy the game. It's like if right when a movie came out it was also on Netflix day one. If I could watch it on Netflix why would I buy it?

Regardless, what Pachter said is right about it. No company is going to put a game on it that's remotely recent since nobody would go out and buy the game. It's like if right when a movie came out it was also on Netflix day one. If I could watch it on Netflix why would I buy it?
They haven't out and said they won't but as of now they've only said PS1/2/3. Until they say otherwise I have no reason to believe that is in their immediate plans. I just think Pach is a little confused as to what the service is.

I agree with you there on the second point, but to be fair, a lot of time movies are available on Netflix within the first few months of the DVD/Blu release.

Has it been actually said that ps now is just a sub or that you will have to "purchase" each game? Could be a combo. Sub that provides certain games and for newer games you "purchase" them to be able to play and stream them.

I don't think it would hurt sales much if they come out months after release since most games' sales come within the first few months of release. Also I don't think the audience who will pay a fee to rent Dark Souls II through PS Now is the same audience who would buy the game on PS3.

For PS Now to succeed it needs to be cheap like PS Plus so people opt for a yearly subscription instead of paying by month. Also Sony shouldn't use PS Now to stream PS2/1 games. Streaming SD content is going to look terrible and it would just be a waste of bandwidth.

They haven't out and said they won't but as of now they've only said PS1/2/3. Until they say otherwise I have no reason to believe that is in their immediate plans. I just think Pach is a little confused as to what the service is.

I agree with you there on the second point, but to be fair, a lot of time movies are available on Netflix within the first few months of the DVD/Blu release.
They neither confirmed or denied the existence of PS4 games hitting the service, tho a representative during CES said it was very much possible.

i could very well see ps now be a sub program that includes so many games that they swap out every now and then allow you to "rent " games  for like a doller a day or something like that.

Pachter sounds like a total ass in the recent interview for Game Informer.  He gets super defensive about his work but in all fairness he does make some valid points in it. 

Ok people, I don't know how any one hasn't been keeping up with this or read up on it.  It was already announced that it would be BOTH a subscription service, but also a pay per game similar to the PS store already.  If you don't want to do monthly because there are only like two games, then just pay for the two games.

As for PS4 games coming to this, there is no need and I don't see them doing it.  You are better off just purchasing the game digitally and downloading the game, no need to stream.  Oh and it has only been confirmed that PS Now is going to be PS3, there was NO mention of PS1 or PS2 when Sony announced it.  That is why the emulator rumor has come up, that Sony has another plan for those older games.

So far the people that have had the BEta says that it works pretty well, the next key is their pricing and how much it will cost.  As for the guy saying it will fail... that is dumb.  PS3 games are going to stop coming out and a majority of people are no longer going to be purchasing them.  THis gives publishers another outlet to make money by getting licensing fees to have the games on PS Now.  Not to mention like I said previously, It will also help publishers with future games and sequels thanks to the Netflix Affect.  It has been proven that Netflix is the saving grace for a lot of TV shows, and Playstation Now could be that to some games that get overlooked. 

If game developers somehow get a slice of the pie from PS Now, I don't see how it hurts them.  Especially for games that go way back.  If the revenue streams are there, people can be persuaded.  You can't just make a blanket over-reactive statement that it simply won't work.

Right? But they can't be as lazy as Crytek, they couldn't get Ryse to 1080p OR 60fps. Dead Rising 3? Lazy.

http://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/431494105672077312

But seriously, I would get into the difference in power it takes to run a game at 1920x800 with 4xMSAA versus a game at 1600x900, but yeah... Timbo gonna Timb.
where did i say anything about crytek or capcom not being lazy at making games only at 30 fps. if you need a game to be less then 1080 p native to hit 60 fps then do it and let the upscale systems have to handle the rest. bf4 on ps4 was 900 p at 60 fps looked amazing.

ps4 is powerfull enough to have every game run at 60 fps

where did i say anything about crytek or capcom not being lazy at making games only at 30 fps. if you need a game to be less then 1080 p native to hit 60 fps then do it and let the upscale systems have to handle the rest. bf4 on ps4 was 900 p at 60 fps looked amazing.

ps4 is powerfull enough to have every game run at 60 fps
Any machine can hit 60fps at the expense of graphic quality. Yes, Forza 5 is 1080p/60fps but did you see that crowd downgrade?

I personally, would prefer games hit 1080p over 60fps this gen. A locked 30fps at 1080p is totally fine for me. AC4 plays great on PS4.

And of course, if the developers choose to prioritize 60fps over 1080p, if the control feel of 60fps is important to the game style, then any graphical sacrifices they need to make will be apparent. I would've preferred DICE hit 1080p for BF4 since I think 900p still looks too blurry.

on a good note new images are our for second son and look amazing.

http://www.ign.com/images/games/infamous-second-son-ps4-161074
I really really appreciate how colorful Second Son is - so many games look drab but extremely detailed but the Infamous folks seem to have managed to make a game with a lot of color and variety. Good on them.

Also, for me I'm grateful for the surge in single player games. I know it isn't appealing for a lot of people compared to a good co-op experience, but I'm quite happy to have some good solid single player experiences to rock through in the PS4s infancy.

Yeah it's good to see that not every big game will be some open-world mp experience with little or nothing for solo people.

I want Second Son and the level of detail looks great but I try to keep in mind that it's pretty easy to make any game look fantastic when it's static screenshots.

I want Second Son and the level of detail looks great but I try to keep in mind that it's pretty easy to make any game look fantastic when it's static screenshots.
watch the gameplay videos floating around youtube. it's still pretty impressive in whatever phase of build quality that is. having never played an infamous game before I don't know if they're representative of the gameplay of the series, but they're still nice to look at.

Gamestop Italy's Second Son pre-order bonus is condoms.

By Jeffrey Matulef Published Friday, 7 February 2014

inFamous: Second Son's pre-order bonus in GameStop Italy is glow-in-the-dark condoms and Red Bull.

As spotted by AllGamesBeta's Twitter, this promotional package comes with Sucker Punch's upcoming action game, two cans of Red Bull, and a pack of fluorescent condoms.

"A fill of energy for an explosion of pleasure!" reads the translated bold print at the top of the box. (Thanks, Sterling!) "Enjoy your power!" it says below in English.

139181370977.jpg

Gamestop Italy's Second Son pre-order bonus is condoms.

By Jeffrey Matulef Published Friday, 7 February 2014

inFamous: Second Son's pre-order bonus in GameStop Italy is glow-in-the-dark condoms and Red Bull.

As spotted by AllGamesBeta's Twitter, this promotional package comes with Sucker Punch's upcoming action game, two cans of Red Bull, and a pack of fluorescent condoms.

"A fill of energy for an explosion of pleasure!" reads the translated bold print at the top of the box. (Thanks, Sterling!) "Enjoy your power!" it says below in English.

139181370977.jpg
that will never be used by the guys lined up for game :D/

Well I have it pre-ordered but the first thing I lined up for in years was the PS4 and I never want to do that ever again.

bread's done
Back