PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Don't forget the next God of War and the next Tomb Raider. My point will really be driven home if they have the next Batman Arkham game or Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PS4... Oh, wait...
I'll take next installments in God of War, Uncharted, TLOU, J&D, R&C, LBP, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, The Show, Modnation, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Killzone, Infamous, Resistance etc.

Only a few of those have come close to being bled dry like Halo and Gears.

Sony exclusives are very diverse and it seems like there is something for anyone. I don't see anything that would leave me to believe they won't continue exploring new franchises... but that doesn't mean they need to abandon what already works.

OK now Sony... Get your devs to start pumping out some new IPs for the PS4. Everything released so far is a sequel to existing franchises - Killzone, Infamous, Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield. Nothing wrong with sequels, but isn't the release of a new generation of consoles supposed to spark new, creative ideas on new technology rather than beating dead horses?
Umm. Drive Club and Order 1886 are both new IPs.

I'll take next installments in God of War, Uncharted, TLOU, J&D, R&C, LBP, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, The Show, Modnation, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Killzone, Infamous, Resistance etc.

Only a few of those have come close to being bled dry like Halo and Gears.
I'll agree that Halo has been milked to death, but Gears?Using your examples - Gears of War has had 4 games so far. Uncharted = 4, Killzone = 6, God of War 6, LittleBigPlanet = 5, Resistance = 5, Ratchet & Clank = 11, Jak = 6

I love Sony franchises as much as the next guy, but you can't say with a straight face that they aren't getting milked dry as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll agree that Halo has been milked to death, but Gears?Using your examples - Gears of War has had 4 games so far. Uncharted = 4, Killzone = 6, God of War 6, LittleBigPlanet = 5, Resistance = 5, Ratchet & Clank = 11, Jak = 6

I love Sony franchises as much as the next guy, but you can't say with a straight face that they aren't getting milked dry as well
You can't really combine games from handhelds with the main line.

There's no comparison if you count games made just for the PS3; GOW = 2, UC = 3, Killzone = 2, etc.

I mean if you're going to count HD remakes and PSP/Vita games then at least factor in that Gears squeezed in FOUR titles last generation (the last two being very mediocre) and Halo would of had at least six.

I don't see any problem with Sony doing another 1-3 games this generation in each franchise if they choose while still finding room to build a couple new games.

Edit: I'm just not a big fan of buying anything from a franchise that puts a new game out every 11-12 months which is why I avoid games like Assassin's Creed, COD, etc.

I mean there was a UC game at the begginning of the PS3 lifecycle, one in the middle and one towards the end. They didn't squeeze in four or five.

There was a GOW game a few years into the PS3 lifecycle and one lackluster one at the end.

IMO Sony does a good between balancing these releases and introducing new material. If there is a game you don't like (I personally didn't enjoy much from the resistance universe and I'm not a big R&C fan) then there should be something else to balance that.

Yep. Plus, like GBA said, its only been four months. I'm expecting more to be announced at E3 this year. Sony had the best new IPs last gen and I expect no different with this one.
yeah, both consoles need something for e3. Microsoft has games in the works but no idea when they will be out (Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, Quantum Break).

Sony has DriveClub and Order 1886 sometime this year. Who knows with Uncharted but this holiday has nothing yet besides things we know come out every year (Fifa, Madden, NBA 2k, COD, AC). Only thing newish is Batman but we had one last year.

Sony definitely had the upper hand when it came to new IP's for the ps3. I think Heavy Rain is my favorite, and I know this may sound crazy but I think Naughty Dog will slip up on the PS4. After 3 universally acclaimed games in a row their due for a miss lol

Sony definitely had the upper hand when it came to new IP's for the ps3. I think Heavy Rain is my favorite, and I know this may sound crazy but I think Naughty Dog will slip up on the PS4. After 3 universally acclaimed games in a row their due for a miss lol
the first Uncharted wasnt universally acclaimed? or do you mean 4 in a row?

I don't know. I watched that behind the scenes video on TLOU that was free with Amazon Videos on Demand and it seems like they do everything right from the ground up. I really don't see them putting their name on something let alone signing off on something they don't think will do well commercially.

the first Uncharted wasnt universally acclaimed? or do you mean 4 in a row?
I dont think the first one was universally acclaimed. It was a good game but nowhere in the league of Uncharted 2, 3, and the last of us.

I don't know. I watched that behind the scenes video on TLOU that was free with Amazon Videos on Demand and it seems like they do everything right from the ground up. I really don't see them putting their name on something let alone signing off on something they don't think will do well commercially.
True, they definitely seem like perfectionist. I'm excited to see what they do with Uncharted 4.

I didn't really liked Uncharted 3 that much but the graphics on some part of the game is just insane.
Least favorite in the series for me too. The only game in the series that I just wanted to end as I thought some parts were just too repetitive and they tried to be too "epic"

Least favorite in the series for me too. The only game in the series that I just wanted to end as I thought some parts were just too repetitive and they tried to be too "epic"
Yeah for some reason the shooting felt different and off in that game. I think I give up after I only got to 75% completion. Just wasn't having any fun with it to complete it.

I think ND's misstep was UC3, I know it was very well reviewed but it was a little disappointing for me. However, just like UC2, The Last of Us will be tough to follow up on. They raised the bar incredibly high for themselves.

As far as ranking goes, its like this for me..

UC2>>>>>>UC1>UC3

Even if UC2 was mutiplayer only I still would put it ahead of the other games. It was that godly, haha.

I would say UC2 > UC3 > UC1 for me. I actually played UC1 and UC2 for the first time recently. The difference in improvement between those twos were like day and night.

I could force myself to go back and play UC3 but I don't think I can do the same for the first Uncharted.

You can't really combine games from handhelds with the main line.
OK then. Uncharted = 3, Killzone = 4, God of War = 6, LittleBigPlanet = 3, Resistance = 3, Ratchet & Clank = 11, Jak & Daxter = 6. There is still no denying that alot of the PS Exclusives are still seeing way too much light instead of fresh new IPs

OK then. Uncharted = 3, Killzone = 4, God of War = 6, LittleBigPlanet = 3, Resistance = 3, Ratchet & Clank = 11, Jak & Daxter = 6. There is still no denying that alot of the PS Exclusives are still seeing way too much light instead of fresh new IPs
Your numbers are still way off.

Are we counting HD transfers too?

Because your numbers are only right if you count the entire lifespan on that franchise across all Sony consoles and for some of those games that is going back more then a decade.

So a series resets after a new console gen appears? Come on. Are we going to start counting Story-Based DLC as games now to pad out Microsoft numbers?

A game in a series is a game in the series.

So a series resets after a new console gen appears? Come on. Are we going to start counting Story-Based DLC as games now to pad out Microsoft numbers?

A game in a series is a game in the series.
Okay... so what's your point? Nintendo is the king of milking a franchise, MS did FOUR Gears this generation and as many if not more Halo games. I can't think of a single game that Sony put out more then three off this past generation (and again a HD transfer doesn't count as a new game).

And you're obviously counting things like LBP Karting which isn't exactly a continuation of a series.

I mean what franchise got more then three treatments this past generation?

So what did they milk this past generation? They did 3 = Uncharted; 2 = Killzone; 3 = Resistance; 2 = God of War; 3 = LBP (2 if you exclude Karting); I mean what are you counting Move Heroes as a R&C and J&D Game? What about All Stars Royale?

I mean come on.

I can't think of a single game that Sony put out more then three off this past generation (and again a HD transfer doesn't count as a new game).
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest For Booty

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time

Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Ratchet and Clank: Into The Nexus

or do 3 of them not count because they weren't full $60 releases?

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest For Booty

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time

Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Ratchet and Clank: Into The Nexus

or do 3 of them not count because they weren't full $60 releases?
Why does it matter? this is such a petty complaint! If a game and a series is good, why change? I mean, you truly need a new IP when the other series gets stale. And it has already been announced that several of Sony's first party developers are working on original IP's that have yet to be announced. But if its not broken, don't fix it! Uncharted is great, doesn't matter which is the best they are still great games with good stories... Not to mention with the experience they gained from the Last of Us, Uncharted is only going to get better. God of War did get stale, and that is why Santa Monica laid off a bunch of people and are going in a different direction. Little Big Planet made Tearaway which was a great new IP. They are there, but when developers find a great Ip they stick with it for a while. No reason to make one and just move on with out exploring it further. I think Quantic Dream made that mistake with Heavy Rain, made a great game and a great idea, and then tried something different that didn't work.

To me it is not a big deal. I would love and Uncharted, heck a good God of War next gen might be cool with the number of enemies they might have. It's not a big deal. Especially when Microsoft is making another Halo, probably another Gears and Fable...

Dude, the big three are all guilty of milking some of their franchise series, but to call out Sony for not making new IPs is just ridiculous. They were still pumping them out last year for the ps3. Same can't be said for Nintendo or MS. And to be worried about the lack of them on the PS4 is also ridiculous considering its only been out for four fucking months.

Yeah I don't think I ever heard anybody complained that there is going to be a

Why does it matter? this is such a petty complaint! If a game and a series is good, why change? I mean, you truly need a new IP when the other series gets stale. And it has already been announced that several of Sony's first party developers are working on original IP's that have yet to be announced. But if its not broken, don't fix it! Uncharted is great, doesn't matter which is the best they are still great games with good stories... Not to mention with the experience they gained from the Last of Us, Uncharted is only going to get better. God of War did get stale, and that is why Santa Monica laid off a bunch of people and are going in a different direction. Little Big Planet made Tearaway which was a great new IP. They are there, but when developers find a great Ip they stick with it for a while. No reason to make one and just move on with out exploring it further. I think Quantic Dream made that mistake with Heavy Rain, made a great game and a great idea, and then tried something different that didn't work.

To me it is not a big deal. I would love and Uncharted, heck a good God of War next gen might be cool with the number of enemies they might have. It's not a big deal. Especially when Microsoft is making another Halo, probably another Gears and Fable...
Yeah who cares if it is the same IP as long as the next game is going to be great. This is like all the Nintendo games. I don't think I ever heard anyone complained and moaned that there's going to be a new Zelda or Mario game.

Dude, the big three are all guilty of milking some of their franchise series, but to call out Sony for not making new IPs is just ridiculous. They were still pumping them out last year for the ps3. Same can't be said for Nintendo or MS. And to be worried about the lack of them on the PS4 is also ridiculous considering its only been out for four fucking months.
Just look at my PSN sig and you'll see that I've played just about all of Sony's first party games. It's just that everything on the horizon for PS4 is sequels of established franchises. Microsoft has Titanfall ringing in the new console gen, but Sony doesn't have any new IPs until a year after the launch of the PS4. I remember the PS3 and 360 were pretty good about having new IPs relatively soon after their launch. It's almost as if Sony and their developers are only playing it safe because they're on top right now and afraid of alienating people with the unfamiliar. No one wants to take risks anymore

Just look at my PSN sig and you'll see that I've played just about all of Sony's first party games. It's just that everything on the horizon for PS4 is sequels of established franchises. Microsoft has Titanfall ringing in the new console gen, but Sony doesn't have any new IPs until a year after the launch of the PS4. I remember the PS3 and 360 were pretty good about having new IPs relatively soon after their launch. It's almost as if Sony and their developers are only playing it safe because they're on top right now and afraid of alienating people with the unfamiliar. No one wants to take risks anymore
The Order 1866 is suppose to come out this May or summer.

Don't forget there is also Watch Dogs, Drive Club, Destiny, The Division, The Evil Within, Dying Light, The Crew, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Evolve, and Mad Max. Plenty of new IP hitting soon and E3 is coming up too.

Don't forget there is also Watch Dogs, Drive Club, Destiny, The Division, The Evil Within, Dying Light, The Crew, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Evolve, and Mad Max. Plenty of new IP hitting soon and E3 is coming up too.
To be fair, 3rd party developers are more the ones who focus on new IPs. How many of those aren't coming to the XB1 or PC as well?

To be fair, 3rd party developers are more the ones who focus on new IPs. How many of those aren't coming to the XB1 or PC as well?
Very good point---but to be fair unlike last generation it looks like Sony is going to get the more polished version (at least visually [PC aside]) so there's that.

Probably all of them but I am waiting until E3 to see what Sony has cooking before I just toss them aside and say that there are no new IP coming out from their own studios.

Can we at least wait until E3 before we make these kind of statements? Plus, Sony had no idea they'd be curb stomping MS in terms of sales so that point makes no sense. They're also the only company that takes risks with there new IPS IMO. Its not the same old shooter shit. And to be fair, MS bought Titanfall's exclusivity from a third party developer because they were desperate. If not that shit would be on the PS4 too.

Confirmed New IP

• Guerrilla Games
  • Evolution Studios (DriveClub)
  • Capcom (Deepdown)
  • Ready at Dawn (Order 1886)
Confirmed PS4 Project

• Media Molecule
  • Sony Santa Monica
  • Sony San Deigo Studios (MLB The Show 14)
  • Sony Bend Studio (Famous for Syphon Filter games)
  • Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo 7)
  • Quantic Dream
  • SOF Studios (Spiritual Successor to Socom)
  • Sony Online Entertainment (Everquest, Planetside 2, DC Universe Online)
  • Naughty Dog (Uncharted 4)
Possibly working on next PS4 project

• Sucker Punch
  • SCE Japan Studio
  • Naughty Dog (Last of Us team)
  • Guerilla Games (Killzone team)
  • Housemarque (Resogun)
Pontential PS4 project

I'm already starting an area to put my future PS4 backlog. :cool:

Edit:

PS4 Exclusive Indie Games which are published by SCEA

• Everybody's Gone to the Rapture [Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is an upcoming first-person adventure video game being developed by The Chinese Room. A spiritual successor to Dear Esther, the game will be set in a large open world and will be a story driven game.]
  • Helldivers [Top down shooter game developed by Arrowhead Game Studios.]
  • Hohokum is a video game by Honeyslug in collaboration with Richard Hogg
  • RIME [The game is an open world, third person view adventure with puzzle elements. Looks like ICO]

Can we at least wait until E3 before we make these kind of statements? Plus, Sony had no idea they'd be curb stomping MS in terms of sales so that point makes no sense. They're also the only company that takes risks with there new IPS IMO. Its not the same old shooter shit. And to be fair, MS bought Titanfall's exclusivity from a third party developer because they were desperate. If not that shit would be on the PS4 too.
And it will be if Ea and Respawn have anything to say about it going forward... I have a feeling we will get a lot of new IP's and they will be announced at e3. the console just launched...

Yea I think we should see Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Anniversary edition. And Heavy Rain Anniversary Edition.

Just saying I think Sony is doing a great job with their exclusives and it's the main reason I prefer their console over the others. While I do own an Xbox One, it's because I ran into some extra spending money right after launch. The only thing I plan to play on XbOne are the exclusives. It seems like they are milking some of their franchises especially with the Anniversary Editions.

Knack was a new IP at launch btw.

OK now Sony... Get your devs to start pumping out some new IPs for the PS4. Everything released so far is a sequel to existing franchises - Killzone, Infamous, Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield. Nothing wrong with sequels, but isn't the release of a new generation of consoles supposed to spark new, creative ideas on new technology rather than beating dead horses?
yeah sony! stop 3rd party devs/publishers from putting out their games on your new system unless its a new IP!

Currently have a sealed copy of Infamous Collector's Edition, anyone interested?

Also has anyone ever order from evilcontrollers.com? Was thinking about getting a DualShock 4.

Yea I think we should see Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Anniversary edition.
An Anniversary Edition for the 7-year mark? That's pretty strange. Even though Square botched it up pretty bad, Final Fantasy X HD was supposed to release on the 10-year anniversary. Ratchet and Clank got it right. But why on a 7-year anniversary? The 10 year mark is the minimum amount of time to pass without looking like a blatant cash-in

Not sure if this is the right thread or not but I'm looking to get a PS4 soon. does anyone know if there re there any bundles or special editions coming up? the only one I've seen is a GameStop inFamous Second Son bundle. Not sure If I should bite on that or if anything else is on the horizon that might pique my interest a bit more. I haven't had any luck finding just doing a Google search.

Not sure if this is the right thread or not but I'm looking to get a PS4 soon. does anyone know if there re there any bundles or special editions coming up? the only one I've seen is a GameStop inFamous Second Son bundle. Not sure If I should bite on that or if anything else is on the horizon that might pique my interest a bit more. I haven't had any luck finding just doing a Google search.
I haven't seen any announced for the US. I think there was an official Second Son bundle in Europe.

If you're a Costco member, they have an OK bundle (if it's in stork) with a 2nd controller and a year of PS+ for $489.99. Nothing great since the controller is $60 and PS+ often on sale for $30-40, but I jumped on it. A 2nd controller is a near must IMO since the battery life is only 5-6 hours and I sometimes binge game all day long on a weekend.

Deadnation: Apocalypse Edition (PS4) and Tomb Raider (PS3) leave Playstation Plus next Tuesday (4/1), so be sure to claim them. I guess we'll find out soon what will be the new PS4 PS+ game.

bread's done
Back