PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Kind of a damn shame that people are sweeping BC compatibility under the rug. You can bet that if both consoles originally had it people would be talking about how convenient it is, but now people are just saying "Oh well would anybody REALLY use that?!"

I wasn't really complaining. Personally who buys a new console and wants to play the old games? I was purely excited to check out how it worked. Considering when the console launched they said it wasn't possible to have BC and now all of a sudden easily possibleine

BC is really nice to have but its not a main selling point imo. People complain about remasters and that they want new games but suddenly being able to play old games on a new system is a huge deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who needs TR when we got this?!? lol But seriously, Im going on a SP media blackout from here on out. Bring on some MP action though. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-l6UjVLmhU

Kind of a damn shame that people are sweeping BC compatibility under the rug. You can bet that if both consoles originally had it people would be talking about how convenient it is, but now people are just saying "Oh well would anybody REALLY use that?!"
I'm certainly not, it's a huge megaton by Microsoft.. Now 360 owners who were on the fence will get an Xbox One guaranteed especially on a deal where you can trade your 360 for $175 toward a Xbox One. I'd put money that Xbox One will now win NPD pretty regular because of this feature and because of how many American 360 owners there are.

Edit: Just checked Amazon and Xbox One is beating the PS4 by several slots on the hourly chart.

In a thread full of Playstation fanboys, I'm probably gonna be crucified for this statement, but Microsoft kicked Sony's ass this year. Once the majority of my Xbox 360 games become available as BC titles, I will trade in my 360 and get a One. Plus the whole PC mods becoming available (for Fallout 4 at least) on the Xbox One is a HUGE selling point. I'm alot more excited for Gears 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider than any of the indie games Playstation announced. Guerilla's new IP interests me, but M$ knocked it out of the park this year, and I don't doubt this will help the Xbox One catch up

Microsoft was pretty good too but I thought the Sony press conference have the edge over it. I love the Japanese studios games and Sony first parties game that were shown.

In a thread full of Playstation fanboys, I'm probably gonna be crucified for this statement, but Microsoft kicked Sony's ass this year. Once the majority of my Xbox 360 games become available as BC titles, I will trade in my 360 and get a One. Plus the whole PC mods becoming available (for Fallout 4 at least) on the Xbox One is a HUGE selling point. I'm alot more excited for Gears 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider than any of the indie games Playstation announced. Guerilla's new IP interests me, but M$ knocked it out of the park this year, and I don't doubt this will help the Xbox One catch up
I agree with you on the backward compatibility as you can see from my post above, but fyi, mods are also coming to the PS4. I also thought Halo 5, Rise of Tomb Raider and Gears 4 didn't demo very well today and looked pretty meh. In fact if it weren't for the backward compatibility megaton, Microsoft's conference was pretty sub par.

btw: imo Horizon is the best new ip shown at this years e3 with Unravel being second, and Fallout 4 is best sequel.. none of which premiered on Microsoft's stage.. hard to knock it out of the park when you don't have the games people are talking about.

That's lame that the Shenmue Kickstarter doesn't have a PS4 physical copy option.
Wouldn't surprise me if it gets a physical release, just not included in the kickstarter goals. I wish one of the stretch goals would have been for 1 and 2 to be remastered.

Microsoft was pretty good too but I thought the Sony press conference have the edge over it. I love the Japanese studios games and Sony first parties game that were shown.
New games are great and Sony rarely misses with it's first party IPs. I just hope the whole XB1 BC lights a fire under Sony's ass and they quit with this whole last gen remastered for current gen bullshit. I bought a PS4 on launch and only bought about 8 games for it. I don't want The Last of Us because I already have it on the PS3. I have no interest in God of War 3 because I already have it on the PS3. Why do I need a Final Fantasy X HD Remaster Remastered? I already bought it once. Granted, M$ is just as guilty with Halo MCC and the upcoming Gears Definitive, but maybe with Backwards compatibility being possible on the current gen systems, Devs and publishers can finally start treating it as the new generation - let Sleeping Dogs (another HD Remaster) lie and look to the future.

I wasn't impressed with Sony's conference. There were some good games but I played Ico on PS3 and quit after a couple of hours because I hated the puzzles and platforming. I like art games but that game didn't feel that great to me. I'm not at all interests in the last guardian because it looked like the same game. I can't believe it will have taken them 9 years to make the same game when it's finally released.

I beat Final Fantasy 7 when it launched and I've basically given up on Final Fantasy because the games have sucked so badly. Even if they do manage to bring this back better than ever, it's not released for another 3-4 years - there was NO gameplay!

This felt like 2016's E3. What exactly is coming out this year anyway?

Holy hell, people are calling backwards compatibility a megaton? Hardly. I mean, sure, it has its place and I'm glad people are happy, but it's not really the selling point it used to be. Once you get a taste for the newer games it's a bit hard to go back. I'm willing to bet most people don't play Wii games on their Wii U and last gen it became a bullet point that many happened to gloss over(when it was an option).

I still have my PS3 with a decent backlog but I've used it maybe 4-5 times in the past year and a half. It's something that sounds good in theory but is used far less than people think. It's not for me, so I'm trying to view it objectively, but I just think it's crazy that people are viewing this announcement in the same light as they would an announcement for a long awaited title.

Holy hell, people are calling backwards compatibility a megaton? Hardly. I mean, sure, it has its place and I'm glad people are happy, but it's not really the selling point it used to be. Once you get a taste for the newer games it's a bit hard to go back. I'm willing to bet most people don't play Wii games on their Wii U and last gen it became a bullet point that many happened to gloss over(when it was an option).
I still have my PS3 with a decent backlog but I've used it maybe 4-5 times in the past year and a half. It's something that sounds good in theory but is used far less than people think. It's not for me, so I'm trying to view it objectively, but I just think it's crazy that people are viewing this announcement in the same light as they would an announcement for a long awaited title.
Not at all true. I play games with my kids on the 360 and if they put the right stuff as BC then I can sell my 360 and stick the XB1 where it is. This from a person that was never planning on buying one. Same reason I bought a Wii U. Most important is that MS actually announced things for this year. Sony's conference leads me to believe only 3rd party games for another holiday season. Lastly, announcing a kick starter at a million dollar press conference? Talk about tacky. The cost of the conference was probably enough to cover the money they want donated.

Ive always felt backwards compatibility is best during the first year or two while games are still working their way out. I cant imagine wanting to play last gens games now. its a nice feature to have, but nowhere near as big as everyone makes it out to be. Especially when its not guaranteed to work with everything.

Only a vocal minority cared when the Ps3 lost the bc for PS2 games, and most forgot the PS3 can play PS1 games. The same will happen here.

I don't get the whole kickstarter thing either. You mean to tell me that SONY wouldn't back shenmue 3 without "proven" pre-sales? I understand you don't want to back a turd, but there are certain things that should be a given.

I'm tempted to buy the jacket for $10,000. It should be in a museum. If those guys from digital press want to be legit, they should put it in there.

If E3 was a competition between MS and PS, then MS conquered. 

Anyone else notice that MS didn't announce anything for the Kinect? While PS didn't announce anything for the Vita? I know that maybe it wasn't a surprise that there were no announcements for the Kinect, but I am surprised there wasn't a single game announced for the Vita. Hell, even the new Tearaway game isn't on the Vita, the system that gave birth to it.

I don't really see BC as that big of an issue, but then again I'm a big proponent of playing games on original hardware. When I pick up a new console I do so to play the new games on the console. I think the biggest problem with the 8th Generation has been an over reliance of remaking 7th Gen games. I never used BC on my Genesis, PS2, PS3, 360 or 7200 so I don't see myself starting now.

As far as the conferences are concerned, I think MS did enough to get me to justify buying another 8th Gen system and Sony showed why the PS4 is my platform of choice.

The Shenmue Kickstarter is probably more of a promotional tool. At this point I don't care how they get it done so long as it gets done. I just wish they had a physical option for PS4.

Anyone else notice that MS didn't announce anything for the Kinect? While PS didn't announce anything for the Vita? I know that maybe it wasn't a surprise that there were no announcements for the Kinect, but I am surprised there wasn't a single game announced for the Vita. Hell, even the new Tearaway game isn't on the Vita, the system that gave birth to it.
Well now I know why MS conquered in your eyes, you didn't watch the Sony presser. World of Final Fantasy was announced for Vita, and they did have a small sizzle reel of some vita games, so the not a single game was false. As for Tearaway, why put the exact same game on Vita, it is the same story with some different controls to take advantage of the DS4, so no reason to bring it to Vita.

MS also spent more time on their VR then Sony did, which I was happy about, it is way too difficult to portray VR on a stage to people, and while what MS did was cool, it doesn't matter at all to me.

As for the BC stuff that MS announced, it is great and awesome and all, but it's true, we all think we need backwards compatible, but then never use it.

As for the kickstarter and everyone complaining why didn't Sony just pay. There are several different reasons why. The creator may have wanted full creative control and responsibility for the game. I.E. if it does amazing he gets a bigger cut. Sony may actually be paying for some, but the game needs more than 2 million to fund, so Sony is covering part of the rest of it. The game isn't solely needing 2 mill to be produced, developed, marketed, and distributed.

Tearaway Unfolded is just the original Vita game made for the ps4.

Well now I know why MS conquered in your eyes, you didn't watch the Sony presser. World of Final Fantasy was announced for Vita, and they did have a small sizzle reel of some vita games, so the not a single game was false. As for Tearaway, why put the exact same game on Vita, it is the same story with some different controls to take advantage of the DS4, so no reason to bring it to Vita.

MS also spent more time on their VR then Sony did, which I was happy about, it is way too difficult to portray VR on a stage to people, and while what MS did was cool, it doesn't matter at all to me.

As for the BC stuff that MS announced, it is great and awesome and all, but it's true, we all think we need backwards compatible, but then never use it.

As for the kickstarter and everyone complaining why didn't Sony just pay. There are several different reasons why. The creator may have wanted full creative control and responsibility for the game. I.E. if it does amazing he gets a bigger cut. Sony may actually be paying for some, but the game needs more than 2 million to fund, so Sony is covering part of the rest of it. The game isn't solely needing 2 mill to be produced, developed, marketed, and distributed.
I did watch the PS portion in full and I did see the FF World was also releasing on the Vita however that is all that I saw or remember. I should of said they aren't any Vita exclusives.

I guess if you have nothing else to hang your hat on then hang it on the "hey we got BC two years after launch". That might please the 5% of gamers who don't have a life outside of gaming that can afford to spend time playing games from past generations.

The rest of us have enough current gen games to play where BC is no longer a selling point since there are finally current gen games worth playing. Not trying to be dense, I have a handful of games I play through multiple times but most of those are on consoles at least 3 or 4 generations old and I can play through them in a few hours.

I mean Sony initially did have PS2/PS1 BC, removed it, launched a year late, and still took global sales. It's hard to say that the BC announcement is pushing X1 sales anymore then the focus on Gears and Halo and Tomb Raider. They most likely would have seen a spike anyways and good for them, they need it. I mean I get pointing out the "hey we win a month every four months and now we might win every other month" and again, congratulations, but there are many markets outside the U.S. that are important and.... yeah, the red headed step child.

Backwards compatibility is a big selling point for me for the Xbox One. I'd love to take advantage of Microsoft's exclusive XB1 games, but the majority of the Xbox games I have or will get will be on the 360. I can't justify spending $350 on a console that I'm only going to use for a few games and still have a 360 plugged in. If I can get a One, still use all my previous Xbox brand games on it, take advantage of the current gen games and not have a second console plugged in would make it the multimedia machine I'm looking for. As for big name 3rd party multiplat games, I would probably still get them on the PS4.

Don't see the big deal about new Gears of War and Halo. The people that made those games great are long gone. They're just games with names. Nothing special.

I don't get the whole kickstarter thing either. You mean to tell me that SONY wouldn't back shenmue 3 without "proven" pre-sales? I understand you don't want to back a turd, but there are certain things that should be a given.

I'm tempted to buy the jacket for $10,000. It should be in a museum. If those guys from digital press want to be legit, they should put it in there.
I think the situation is like this, Sony will only agrees to fund the game if Shenmue 3 director can show that there is still a demand for it. The easiest way to do that is to generate money for the project. This situation is very similar to Bloodstain where the director has already gather most of the funds but still need some more funds from a publisher to complete the project.

You can also think of it like a home loan. Where the more money you are able to save, the easier it is for your bank to agree to your loan or even give you a bigger loan. That's what I think the situation really is about. Shenmue 3 is going to be big and mostly likely require a lot of funding.

I guess if you have nothing else to hang your hat on then hang it on the "hey we got BC two years after launch". That might please the 5% of gamers who don't have a life outside of gaming that can afford to spend time playing games from past generations.

The rest of us have enough current gen games to play where BC is no longer a selling point since there are finally current gen games worth playing. Not trying to be dense, I have a handful of games I play through multiple times but most of those are on consoles at least 3 or 4 generations old and I can play through them in a few hours.

I mean Sony initially did have PS2/PS1 BC, removed it, launched a year late, and still took global sales. It's hard to say that the BC announcement is pushing X1 sales anymore then the focus on Gears and Halo and Tomb Raider. They most likely would have seen a spike anyways and good for them, they need it. I mean I get pointing out the "hey we win a month every four months and now we might win every other month" and again, congratulations, but there are many markets outside the U.S. that are important and.... yeah, the red headed step child.
Because basing your argument around "Lol you do nothing but play games all day" or "Lol sales matter" is such a compelling opinion.

I mean come on people. The PS3 had one of the greatest library of exclusives of all time and you're sweeping it under the rug with the "Oh who would plays those old games anymore when there are new games" argument.

Because basing your argument around "Lol you do nothing but play games all day" or "Lol sales matter" is such a compelling opinion.

I mean come on people. The PS3 had one of the greatest library of exclusives of all time and you're sweeping it under the rug with the "Oh who would plays those old games anymore when there are new games" argument.
Yes I do, I'm sweeping under the argument of "I think I want that feature because I think I'll play my backlog".

If this generation of consoles never existed, and a new generation NEVER came people still wouldn't play through their backlogs. That is the nature of the beast. That is why people have backlogs because they play 1-2 games for every 4-5 they buy.

The further into this generation we go before backwards compatibility the less significant it is. If you waited two years to upgrade because it didn't have BC then........ what does that say about you? You'd be entering when there are already a dozen or so good exclusives and a few even bigger ones on the horizon. So you're going to have time to play those AND replay/wittle down you're backlog? Or are you buying an Xbox One to use it as a 360 while playing 1 or 2 new exclusives or new generation multi plats a year? If you're the second then you're not a very good consumer for the Xbox One now are you?

[quote name="GBAstar" post="12748878" timestamp="1434470515"]Yes I do, I'm sweeping under the argument of "I think I want that feature because I think I'll play my backlog".

If this generation of consoles never existed, and a new generation NEVER came people still wouldn't play through their backlogs. That is the nature of the beast. That is why people have backlogs because they play 1-2 games for every 4-5 they buy.

The further into this generation we go before backwards compatibility the less significant it is. If you waited two years to upgrade because it didn't have BC then........ what does that say about you? You'd be entering when there are already a dozen or so good exclusives and a few even bigger ones on the horizon. So you're going to have time to play those AND replay/wittle down you're backlog? Or are you buying an Xbox One to use it as a 360 while playing 1 or 2 new exclusives or new generation multi plats a year? If you're the second then you're not a very good consumer for the Xbox One now are you?[/quote]
Hi. I don't fit fit your broad strokes, but I fit in a large group. You see, some of us missed out on big games last gen (and may actually still own them!). Games that we'd like to get through before sequels come out.

Fallout: New Vegas? Yup, never finished it but always planned to. Dishonored? Same deal. Then there's games like Bioshock: Infinite, where I bought the season pass but never got to the content.

Would I go back to them in down time? Normally? Maybe but probably not because booting up the 360 and loading into the games takes forever. People complaining about the slowness of the UI on current gen consoles have forgotten how bad it was before. In comparison, on the new BC games, they load near instantly and just work. In addition, I can take advantage of all the current gen features such as recording and streaming. In addition, I can snap TV, message (on either system, gasp!), party chat, etc.

It's the best of all worlds for those that care. And a lot of people care.

It does, but my PS3 plays PS3 games perfectly well. Why settle for imperfect emulation for just some of the library when I can play all of the games perfectly?

I just don't get it. Original hardware does it better than any emulator.

[quote name="KillerRamen" post="12748917" timestamp="1434472000"]It does, but my PS3 plays PS3 games perfectly well. Why settle for imperfect emulation for just some of the library when I can play all of the games perfectly?

I just don't get it. Original hardware does it better than any emulator.[/quote]
Except it doesn't. Slow load times, no recording features, etc. So far, the emulation has worked perfectly. No hiccups or issues for me. That's the big deal.

It does, but my PS3 plays PS3 games perfectly well. Why settle for imperfect emulation for just some of the library when I can play all of the games perfectly?

I just don't get it. Original hardware does it better than any emulator.
Especially since you can grab a 360 for roughly $50 nowadays and ps3s are cheap as well. I sold my ps3 to help finance my xbox one and bought a replacement for $75 not too long ago.

Except it doesn't. Slow load times, no recording features, etc. So far, the emulation has worked perfectly. No hiccups or issues for me. That's the big deal.
It's a bigger deal for emulating the PS3. The Xbox 360 is based on PowerPC architecture which is very similar to x86. The Cell is weird. It's nothing like x86 and it's a giant pain in the butt, which is rightfully why it was abandoned. I don't think the PS4 has the processing power to emulate the PS3.

bread's done
Back