PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I love Ratchet and Clank.  So glad this game is getting all the praise it is and hope it does well at retail so maybe more platformers get revived..

This is my actual first Ratchet and Clank game that I played even though I bought two games for it on the PS3. Only got it because how good the E3 trailer look. The $40 price plus amazon 20% prime discount was really nice for a new release too. Everything is top notch and this game can be easily be worth $60 based on the quality and fun I am having.

I'm looking forward to it, Nexus was a step in the right direction so I'm sure I'll be happy with this game.

That being said, there's way too many games right now (and on the horizon) so it'll likely be another month or two before I'm able to get to it.

I agree with all the Ratchet & Clank love. The game is phenomenal and one of my favorites on the PS4 period, it's actually kept me away from Dark Souls 3 most of the weekend.

Is anyone else playing Enter the Gungeon right now? I downloaded it over the weekend and can't get enough of the game! Reminds me quite a bit of Binding of Issac, but I may enjoy Gungeon more than Issac! If anyone has been on the fence about the game though I can say that it's well worth the $15. 

I just wish a lot of these games dropped the rogue-like aspect, or had a version of the game you could play with that turned off.

Rogue Legacy I could still enjoy because it carried over stats, or even Galak-Z that had at least some checkpoints being in between each episode. I understand that lots of people enjoy them, but I just don't like playing the same thing over and over, even if it is procedurally generated.

I want to love Gungeon, and I like everything else about it, but I (sadly) don't see myself playing it much more.

Is anyone else playing Enter the Gungeon right now? I downloaded it over the weekend and can't get enough of the game! Reminds me quite a bit of Binding of Issac, but I may enjoy Gungeon more than Issac! If anyone has been on the fence about the game though I can say that it's well worth the $15.
i just need to complete frifles challenge for the plat. however the game itself is getting kinda boring. i did have fun with it though and have probably around 80 hours into the game.

i just need to complete frifles challenge for the plat. however the game itself is getting kinda boring. i did have fun with it though and have probably around 80 hours into the game.
80 hours is more than solid for a $15 indie game. I'm still enjoying it quite a bit, but I am also a big fan of rouge likes.

So more leaked info on ps4.5, all games will ship with a base mode and a neo mode. Currently ps4=base, ps4.5=neo. Base is the same as we currently have and neo adds higher framerate and smoother visuals.

Is this even something that's needed? Who's asking for this? I'll hold off my option until an official announcement from Sony. It's up to you playstation, as someone that had the ps2, ps3, ps4 all at launch and have a ps vr on preorder, tell me why I need this upgrade? Sell me on it?

So more leaked info on ps4.5, all games will ship with a base mode and a neo mode. Currently ps4=base, ps4.5=neo. Base is the same as we currently have and neo adds higher framerate and smoother visuals.

Is this even something that's needed? Who's asking for this? I'll hold off my option until an official announcement from Sony. It's up to you playstation, as someone that had the ps2, ps3, ps4 all at launch and have a ps vr on preorder, tell me why I need this upgrade? Sell me on it?
Do you want better framerate and smoother visuals? Then thats why you need it. Its pretty self explanatory.

What's the chances the PS4K is a flop?

Don't think it will be PS3 bad, but it's definitely not going to take off as Sony might think it would.  

Kind of an unnecessary gamble.

What's the chances the PS4K is a flop?

Don't think it will be PS3 bad, but it's definitely not going to take off as Sony might think it would.

Kind of an unnecessary gamble.
At the rate PS4 is currently selling I really don't see how it will be a flop. This is more in line of what we saw last gen when the slims came out. Its a hardware revision, not a new console. The way its set up it wont segregate the market. If people feel the need to upgrade then its good for them. For people that have not yet bought a PS4 this gives them another option when buying.

Are they going to phase out the current model whenever stock is gone?  That's the only way it can end up making sense in the end.

80 hours is more than solid for a $15 indie game. I'm still enjoying it quite a bit, but I am also a big fan of rouge likes.
oh totally. i preordered it so i actually got it for $13.50. i just play through a few gungeon levels a day where my enemy im currently hunting spawns at and just chip away at the frifle challenge.

Do you want better framerate and smoother visuals? Then thats why you need it. Its pretty self explanatory.
I want these things and I need it! I assume this thing will support UHD Blu-Ray movies too, which is a big selling point for me as I am in the market for a UHD player and would much rather spend that money on a new PS4 that gives me better framerate and visuals. It doesn't change the fact that I hate that I will likely be buying a brand new PS4 that will likely cost $400-$500 along with the $400 Playstation VR headset within months of each other. If this was a simple hardware revision I'd pass, but the added 4K support, better framerate, and visuals make it impossible for me to pass it up.

I see PS4K as a brilliant move to hold the lead this generation, as M$ threatens to piecemeal their console further and Nintendo being the yipping dog at your feet wanting attention from gamers again with NX. From a business standpoint it solves a couple problems: a) it leads the charge on 4K gaming/movies for those that want it and b) allows early adopters and new customers a chance to stay bleeding edge. I'm sure if Sony is to release new hardware this early in the cycle, they've already been working with retailers on a buyback program that will be a gateway for gamers to upgrade easily. I suspect a $99 pricepoint for upgrades and the same $399 for new PS4K's. Those are my predictions for E3 at least.

I see PS4K as a brilliant move to hold the lead this generation, as M$ threatens to piecemeal their console further and Nintendo being the yipping dog at your feet wanting attention from gamers again with NX. From a business standpoint it solves a couple problems: a) it leads the charge on 4K gaming/movies for those that want it and b) allows early adopters and new customers a chance to stay bleeding edge. I'm sure if Sony is to release new hardware this early in the cycle, they've already been working with retailers on a buyback program that will be a gateway for gamers to upgrade easily. I suspect a $99 pricepoint for upgrades and the same $399 for new PS4K's. Those are my predictions for E3 at least.
Prolly a little optimistic with that 99 upgrade, 200 would be more likely I think.

I like the idea of an upgraded console..  I view it like a slim model with more benefits than just a smaller redesign..  The Xbox Elite added things like HDMI, bigger hard drive, better wifi etc, so this is just giving better performance with maybe a redesign..?  Can't wait for this to be officially announced, day 1 for sure.

I think along with performance we are going to get HDMI 2, probably improved wifi (hopefully to ac), and support for 4k hdr media / bluray.  All these features should be worth the extra duckets especially if GameStop offers a nice trade in incentive similar to what they did with the Xbox Elite.  I think they gave like $250 toward the $400 elite for a limited time, could see them doing something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The real question is - do enough people even have 4k tvs to justify buying a new console? Sure, 4k tvs are getting pretty cheap, but no one I know bothered getting one since standard 1080p tvs are super affordable and most people have them by now.

I don't like it (as detailed in many of my past posts), but would likely buy one anyway because I'm an idiot that thinks he needs everything.

Regardless I don't think it's a good move and I have no idea why they're even entertaining the thought with OG PS4 still selling like gangbusters. It's a fine line they're playing with and I sincerely hope they aren't about to fuck things up.

The real question is - do enough people even have 4k tvs to justify buying a new console? Sure, 4k tvs are getting pretty cheap, but no one I know bothered getting one since standard 1080p tvs are super affordable and most people have them by now.
You aren't going to need a 4k tv to enjoy the performance enhancements offered in the games.. obviously you will for 4k hdr media, but if you don't have a 4k tv, you likely don't care about these features anyway.

Prolly a little optimistic with that 99 upgrade, 200 would be more likely I think.
Lest we forget how Sony banked on a $600 PS3 they thought gamers would be willing to invest in for bleeding edge. A costly mistake they won't soon repeat. $99 bridges the gap between what most PS4's cost these days at $300 vs the $400 game bundles that have been happening for a while now. In order to keep a new PS4K console competitive at $400, $99 upgrade 'feels' right in terms of value to the consumer without being a rip-off.

Also, the bigger picture here is Sony can kick off E3 by introducing the new model and then adding zest throughout their presentation. Last Guardian? Coming this year in "gorgeous 4K resolution, only on Sony Playstation". VR? "Only on our PS4K can you experience VR the way it was meant to be, in glorious 4K resolution". The idea is to have everyone talking about Sony at the conference and this would be a surefire way to do it.

It's for people with 4K TVs. This instantly gives those people a ton of new content compared to what they have now (which is hardly anything) and it serves to help them sell new 4K TVs.

Since I buy my TVs based on the capabilities of the consoles, this move may get me to buy a 4K TV before the PS5 comes out. So I really don't think it's a bad move. They also released an enhanced PS2 called the PSX back in the day, so it's not unprecedented for Sony.

Could push the 4K movement forward like MS did with the 360/HD.

I understand that, but just saying it can help some potential buyers be more willing to upgrade their TVs as well.

If you don't have a 4K TV, there's basically no good reason to upgrade. I do have a 4K TV and see virtually no reason to upgrade. The potential option to play some games in 4K and maybe running a little faster doesn't come close to justifying the cost for me.

I've got zero reason to buy the 4K, though if the rumors are true that this will be a $400 machine that's way better suited to VR, then maybe it would be silly not to buy it over the PS4...

Anyway, all the analysts saying the 4K will drive down the price of the old machine considerably. 

What do you guys think? Is this the _worst_ possible time to buy a PS4? Sony so damn stingy with their price drops... Kinda feel like paying $350 right now would be overpaying by $100 a few months down the road.

I've got zero reason to buy the 4K, though if the rumors are true that this will be a $400 machine that's way better suited to VR, then maybe it would be silly not to buy it over the PS4...
Anyway, all the analysts saying the 4K will drive down the price of the old machine considerably.
What do you guys think? Is this the _worst_ possible time to buy a PS4? Sony so damn stingy with their price drops... Kinda feel like paying $350 right now would be overpaying by $100 a few months down the road.
The answer is most likely yes, but that just depends on where you stand on your reasoning to jump in now.

Are you just ready to get one? Itching to play Uncharted 4? Gearing up for VR?

You're probably better off waiting until at least E3 unless you're just really wanting to play games. At that point it becomes a question of whether you'd rather save some money or play games now.

What do you guys think? Is this the _worst_ possible time to buy a PS4? Sony so damn stingy with their price drops... Kinda feel like paying $350 right now would be overpaying by $100 a few months down the road.
I would buy a refurb / used PS4 now, then use it toward a trade in on the PS4K. If you can get one for around $200 - $250 you will likely break even on the deal as GameStop and Best Buy will likely offer that much toward your trade up.

I would buy a refurb / used PS4 now, then use it toward a trade in on the PS4K. If you can get one for around $200 - $250 you will likely break even on the deal as GameStop and Best Buy will likely offer that much toward your trade up.
I think you're figuring a bit high there. If NEO winds up being the rumored $399, base PS4 would likely drop to around $299, not only to increase the perceived "upgrade value" of NEO, but also to match evenly against MS once again.

If that's the case, then your best-case scenario for trade-in credit post the NEO announcement would likely be around $150 (which, coincidentally would likely be the same price point of a PS3 price drop, as a part of the domino effect of this revised console. Unless of course they're stuck in their ways with PS Now, which may make them decide to phase out PS3 earlier than they normally would.)

This is a uneducated response, but if the PS4K ends up at $400, then there's no way MS can be losing money on this system at this point.

I think you're figuring a bit high there. If NEO winds up being the rumored $399, base PS4 would likely drop to around $299, not only to increase the perceived "upgrade value" of NEO, but also to match evenly against MS once again.

If that's the case, then your best-case scenario for trade-in credit post the NEO announcement would likely be around $150 (which, coincidentally would likely be the same price point of a PS3 price drop, as a part of the domino effect of this revised console. Unless of course they're stuck in their ways with PS Now, which may make them decide to phase out PS3 earlier than they normally would.)
I was basing my guesstimate on how the 360 Elite was handled, they were giving almost retail price of the OG 360 when you traded it in toward an Elite, so I assume they would do something similar.. though it's best to expect the lower end and be pleasantly surprised when they give more.

I was basing my guesstimate on how the 360 Elite was handled, they were giving almost retail price of the OG 360 when you traded it in toward an Elite, so I assume they would do something similar.. though it's best to expect the lower end and be pleasantly surprised when they give more.
A "launch" promo of some type is the only way you'd be getting anywhere near that much, and while GS does tend to offer those from time to time, the TIV right now is only $200. I can't imagine it would get any better.

Still though, time will tell and the best any of us can do is guess.

A "launch" promo of some type is the only way you'd be getting anywhere near that much, and while GS does tend to offer those from time to time, the TIV right now is only $200. I can't imagine it would get any better.

Still though, time will tell and the best any of us can do is guess.
If stock levels of PS4 keep at the way they are I can very well see getting $200 for a ps4 when you trade in toward a PS4k.

Gamestop as a whole does not have many pre-owned PS4s but have a shit ton of Xbox Ones.

Props to a developer who isn't interested in milking its players for money. Remember when all devs did this? fuck EA, Ubisoft, et al. :wall:

Uncharted 4 Multiplayer Guide
"Right off the bat, we want to highlight that all future maps and modes will be included with Uncharted 4 at no additional cost, and all vanity and gameplay in-game store items will be unlockable through gameplay!"
Oh, wow. I had bought the pass for Uncharted 3 and was planning on doing the same for this game... Nice surprise.

They must be planning on making enough money from the SP DLC for this not to matter so much.

I am super hyped for Uncharted 4.

The reviews have been consistently great from what I’ve been seeing. I preordered a digital copy and the listing shows that it may be available for preload as early as this Saturday in case anybody is in the same position. It’s going to require a large 5GB day one patch as well. I still wish the latest patches would be available to download on the PSN store the day before a game is released. It would just save time for everybody. It’s nice to hear that the MP items will be all unlockable. They will still be implementing an online currency system for MP though. It’s interesting that the DLC is priced at $25. They’ve increased it as TLoU was $15.

Never played any Dark Souls game or even Bloodborne, even though I own it, but that Nioh demo was hard as hell. Finally beat the first boss and got my Mark of the Conquer DLC for when the full game comes out.

bread's done
Back