Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Yeah, even if all that about the search function were true, that just makes Sony look worse.

I'd say people shouldn't expect such incompetence from a company in this day and age.. but this IS Sony.

Since I don't think there is a Stadia thread, I'll post this here.

https://www.att.com/gaming/

If you have an AT&T account (I think it's for mobile users) there's an offer for 6 months free of Stadia Pro.  I don't know if it has an expiration date.  Stadia is weird about free Pro, where if you've used an exact month-type offer before you usually can't use it again (so you cannot usually use one free month and then another free month code, or 2 months and then another 2 month code).  

If you have already redeemed a 6 month code before, it might be worth trying this code to see if they distinguish it.

Stadia Pro works like Game Pass and Games with Gold, where you get access to a revolving selection of game titles to redeem.  If your subscription expires, you lose the games, but the games you have redeemed get added to your Pro account again if you reactivate it.

There's also a free 6 months of Nvidia Geforce Now.

https://special-offers-signup.att.com/#/51/GeForceNOWPriorityAccess

If anyone has a Stadia code but doesn't want it, could you PM it to me?

Or you could just, I don't know, make a Stadia thread yourself like everyone else is supposed to do when they see a deal...?

Or you could just, I don't know, make a Stadia thread yourself like everyone else is supposed to do when they see a deal...?
It probably falls more in line with the steam thread, since it's technically a PC deal and all PC deals go there. Anyone that goes to read the PS thread probably doesn't care to read about stadia.

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1508441558999191555

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgE9fnyy1g

PS5 & PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sony is being greedy and doesn't want to do parity with Microsoft. As the market leaders, Sony feels like like people will buy their games regardless.

Seriously? It's a three-word string that appears verbatim as the first three words of the title. I am not a programmer, wouldn't an algorithm be designed almost from the start to match up identical, ordered characters like that? I can't imagine a more basic starting point.

I'd love to understand whatever technical reasons don't make that possible. But from the user end perspective, their engine seems to function in the exact opposite of common sense.
A search engine based on exactly matching what a user searches for can be gamed by bad-faith vendors, and it will also fall prey to common misspellings. Better to base the search engine on relevancy and fuzzy matching rather then matching exactly what the user types. Harder then it appears. But yes the PSN marketplace search sucks.

I think Sony is being greedy and doesn't want to do parity with Microsoft. As the market leaders, Sony feels like like people will buy their games regardless.
Sony has stated in the past they don't think Microsoft's model is sustainable. And to be clear--we don't know that it is. We have no idea how much money they're pumping into Game Pass at the moment. And if you think Game Pass is going to remain the deal it is currently forever, you're just flat out wrong. They've already slowed down the rate at which they add high value titles, and that's not going to change. They can't keep buying studios forever. At some point, they are going to hike the price massively.

This is how businesses work--good deals to acquire customers, then once they have you in the door they crank up the prices and profit.

Sony wants to compete shortterm, not follow Microsoft off of the profit-losing cliff long-term.

Sony has stated in the past they don't think Microsoft's model is sustainable. And to be clear--we don't know that it is. We have no idea how much money they're pumping into Game Pass at the moment. And if you think Game Pass is going to remain the deal it is currently forever, you're just flat out wrong. They've already slowed down the rate at which they add high value titles, and that's not going to change. They can't keep buying studios forever. At some point, they are going to hike the price massively.

This is how businesses work--good deals to acquire customers, then once they have you in the door they crank up the prices and profit.

Sony wants to compete shortterm, not follow Microsoft off of the profit-losing cliff long-term.
I've been thinking this. Kind of how Netflix's biz model wasn't sustainable long term. Microsoft had way more to lose because they weren't the market leader. Once they get enough customers, it'll change around.

I've been thinking this. Kind of how Netflix's biz model wasn't sustainable long term. Microsoft had way more to lose because they weren't the market leader. Once they get enough customers, it'll change around.
Netflix was a sustainable model until they got greedy and wanted to increase growth by buying any and all garbage pitched to them. We recently canceled them because there was no value in the service for us anymore; HBO Max and D+ just have a tighter, healthier portfolio with regular content we actually care to watch. Netflix has just become the dumpster for whatever didn't fit in the trash bin at Amazon.

As for Game Pass, their goal is simple: fund it until solvent. It is a sustainable model because they have long-range plans, exactly how Amazon became popular. Low barrier for entry, excellent value, and stakeholders that understand the goal is to craft a new core service model. They're thinking 10 years from now which is going to gain them more than just a gaming division.

I read Microsoft paid $5 to $10 million to get guardians of the galaxy, and that is just 1 game, that wasn't a day 1 release and pretty much had been crapped on by SquareEnix as underperforming at that point.

If you played up to that early trophy in Horizon Forbidden West that led to donations to the Arbor Day Foundation, they sent out emails with codes for an avatar related to that today.

Just about no businesses are sustainable long-term in how they start. Everything begins in a customer acquisition model, then the price hikes start. Always.

Read several rumors via Reddit that Sony has big news coming this week other than their Gamepass style sub. Someone even mentioned them buying From Software lol

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sony isn't buying Kadokawa (the owners of FromSoftware).

Most of these big announcement internet rumors usually fizzle out like a wet fart.

Hoping for some of those long rumor game announcement but keeping expectations very low.

Side note and not saying they will be bought or should be bought, Sony already does have a partnership with Kadokawa and a small ownership stake with them.

As for Game Pass, their goal is simple: fund it until solvent. It is a sustainable model because they have long-range plans, exactly how Amazon became popular. Low barrier for entry, excellent value, and stakeholders that understand the goal is to craft a new core service model. They're thinking 10 years from now which is going to gain them more than just a gaming division.
The way it works is this: corporations suffer massive losses as they move into a new market and only tell their shareholders how much marketshare they've gained (aka subscribers numbers--the only thing we know about gamepass, and massively distorted by free trials and $1 renewals). They get investment from the stock market which helps them continue to fund the expansion even though they're losing money technically in that division. Investors bet on them because of the hope of future profitability. Eventually people become so attached to the service that they can't imagine living without it. That's when they raise the prices and the goodwill dies, but it doesn't matter because they don't need it--just money.

Sony is doing this now because they won last generation. Microsoft did it last generation because they won before that, Etc.

The reliable leaker that's always accurate about the new PS+ games has announced April's: Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Slay the Spire, and SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom. Great month for me since I always wanted to check out Hood.

He also suggested that Spartacus will be announced in two hours.

Meh, only think that has me interested is that PS1, PS2 and PSP games supposedly will be downloadable. Also that PS5 games are finally being offered.

Bloomberg also there would be a “splashy” group of recent hits announced with it. They’re all good games but older at this point. I thought maybe some more recent third party games would be announced to make a splash.

Also, wonder if it’s worth grabbing some cheap PS Now codes If you can find them. They will convert to the highest tier.

It’s odd that Sony says no changes to the “essential” tier, but PS+ monthly games drop to 2. Weren’t we getting 3-4 per month?
We were getting 3 games and occasionally a 4th. It could be a mistake, but I think they want to head off any disappointment since the 3rd game is usually a PS5 game, which most people still can't get their hands on. By saying 2 games, that's applicable to the most PS+ members and no one will complain that they can't play the third game.

Adding PS3 games through streaming seems to be an almost meaningless feature at this point. When Sony went down the road where they couldn't do backwards compatibility because of the PS3's design, they just ended up remaking and remastering everything and putting it on PS4 instead. What's even left on PS3 only that they couldn't instead just include the PS4 versions so they can be downloaded? Maybe I'm wrong here and I'm not thinking about a whole swath of games that can only be presented through PS3 streaming but it feels like they would have to get rights to a bunch of 3rd party games like MGS4, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc. to give this feature some teeth.

Edit: More thoughts. As of yet, I haven't seen an announcement that they're going to start providing PS5 owners with games to play on this service. PS Now focused entirely on PS4 owners. Even when offered games were cross platform with free upgrade paths, you could only play the PS4 version of a game on PS Now. 

We were getting 3 games and occasionally a 4th. It could be a mistake, but I think they want to head off any disappointment since the 3rd game is usually a PS5 game, which most people still can't get their hands on. By saying 2 games, that's applicable to the most PS+ members and no one will complain that they can't play the third game.
Well by slimming the monthly offering to two games, they’re guaranteeing no one can play a third or fourth game 👍🏼

Beyond first party offerings, I will be interested to see how Sony handles new third-party games. One of the biggest values of Game Pass to me is day one indie game launches. A game like Weird West with a price of $40, or something like Nobody Saves the World, are titles I’m interested in and would eat away at the wallet pretty quick. Having access to those on day one is amazing, and a reason I continue my GP sub.

Is ps now better than remote play connection/gameplay wise? People with good connection must love it but not everyone has good connection

In a move I am not a single bit surprised by, seems like Sony has scrubbed any chance of subbing to PS Now for more than a month through regular avenues.

The one thing this is better at then GPU is that you can sub for a year at a time and get it cheaper per month. Sure, you can find better pricing by doing the Gold then upgrade trick. But at least Sony is officially offering a small(ish) deal. 

Adding PS3 games through streaming seems to be an almost meaningless feature at this point. When Sony went down the road where they couldn't do backwards compatibility because of the PS3's design, they just ended up remaking and remastering everything and putting it on PS4 instead. What's even left on PS3 only that they couldn't instead just include the PS4 versions so they can be downloaded? Maybe I'm wrong here and I'm not thinking about a whole swath of games that can only be presented through PS3 streaming but it feels like they would have to get rights to a bunch of 3rd party games like MGS4, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc. to give this feature some teeth.

Edit: More thoughts. As of yet, I haven't seen an announcement that they're going to start providing PS5 owners with games to play on this service. PS Now focused entirely on PS4 owners. Even when offered games were cross platform with free upgrade paths, you could only play the PS4 version of a game on PS Now.
Returnal is a PS5 game.
Well by slimming the monthly offering to two games, they’re guaranteeing no one can play a third or fourth game
Beyond first party offerings, I will be interested to see how Sony handles new third-party games. One of the biggest values of Game Pass to me is day one indie game launches. A game like Weird West with a price of $40, or something like Nobody Saves the World, are titles I’m interested in and would eat away at the wallet pretty quick. Having access to those on day one is amazing, and a reason I continue my GP sub.
I'm saying I think they will continue to offer three games as they do now. But that's just what I think.

In a move I am not a single bit surprised by, seems like Sony has scrubbed any chance of subbing to PS Now for more than a month through regular avenues.
It's been like that for months now. That's not new.

My god they still require streaming PS3 games.
That architecture is incredibly complicated to emulate. PC's still struggle greatly with getting PS3 games working that way, I would think the PS5 would have similar problems. Streaming is just the best solution for now. It's not the optimal one, just the best available one.

I really like it. I already subscribe to both services, so combining them into one and adding more games to the library is great in my case.

But I hope the conversion process is fair for those who've already stacked up years of PS+ and/or PS Now. I have a couple of years of PS+ and nearly a year of PS Now; I wonder if those added years of PS+ will turn out to be a waste if I subscribe to Premium.

There's also the question of whether us deal-hunting CAG types will ultimately pay more or less when you add up discounts. 🤔 Because now you can get PS+ for $3/month or so if you shop around.. plus $5/month for PS Now makes $8/month total vs $18/month for premium. Hopefully shops will have discounted codes so we can keep up the cheapassus quo.

I really like it. I already subscribe to both services, so combining them into one and adding more games to the library is great in my case.
But I hope the conversion process is fair for those who've already stacked up years of PS+ and/or PS Now. I have a couple of years of PS+ and nearly a year of PS Now; I wonder if those added years of PS+ will turn out to be a waste if I subscribe to Premium.
There's also the question of whether us deal-hunting CAG types will ultimately pay more or less when you add up discounts. Because now you can get PS+ for $3/month or so if you shop around.. plus $5/month for PS Now makes $8/month total vs $18/month for premium. Hopefully shops will have discounted codes so we can keep up the cheapassus quo.
Why do you really like it? Your last paragraph explains that the combination of the two services forces you to have both services to get the same prices you're paying now a la carte. Both services are currently $5/month at the annual rate. That's before you can shop around for discounts. PS Now was often on sale for $45/year and as low as $30/year. PS+ ranged from $25-40 a year. It's unlikely that the new combination will go on sale down to $70-80 annually, but maybe it could.

$10 per month for the highest tier's yearly price is pretty good. Much cheaper than Game Pass Ultimate, which I've been annoyed at the lack of any sort of yearly sub option that could make it cheaper outside of the MS Rewards grind that has less points on offer these days.

There are only a few games that I'd want to play from the PS3 (Folklore, actually, that might be it). 

I don't know if it would be worth paying a subscription for that.

I would just like to buy a few digital PS2 games, even PSP/Vita games, and download and just play them when I want without a subscription.

On a unrelated note, Best Buy is selling PS5's but only if you have their Totaltech $200/yr subscription.

Everybody wants subscriptions now...I hate them.

I’ll stick with GP for newer releases but with this I’m mainly interested in seeing what kind of catalog of PS1/PS2/PSP games they add.

bread's done
Back