Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver $34.99/$32.54 at Amazon

I'm guessing the LE for Gold will sell out soon, but I'm not going to buy this until I get my $10 credit from GoWIII. Hopefully the $35 price sticks until then ($25 is my sweet spot for this game).

It's too bad they're not giving a $10 credit with these; getting so used to Amazon doing this for almost every new release.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since the Blue version way, way, way back when I was into the show. When I saw that the Silver LE sold out, I figured I could give the Gold LE a shot for old time's sake. I pre-ordered the Gold version tonight. Any difference between the Gold and Silver versions?

[quote name='Pck21']I haven't played a Pokemon game since the Blue version way, way, way back when I was into the show. When I saw that the Silver LE sold out, I figured I could give the Gold LE a shot for old time's sake. I pre-ordered the Gold version tonight. Any difference between the Gold and Silver versions?[/QUOTE]

the only difference is what pokemon they have. most pokemon are on both games, but there are a handful available on one or the other (unless you trade).

[quote name='Pck21']I haven't played a Pokemon game since the Blue version way, way, way back when I was into the show. When I saw that the Silver LE sold out, I figured I could give the Gold LE a shot for old time's sake. I pre-ordered the Gold version tonight. Any difference between the Gold and Silver versions?[/QUOTE]

Just version exclusive pokemon. You'll also get Ho-Oh (level 40) before Lugia (level 70, after the Elite 4) in Heart Gold. Also, Groudon (Ruby cover mascot) is in Soul Silver and Kyogre (Sapphire cover mascot) is in Heart Gold.

It really doesn't matter much anymore with online trading. You can find people who will give you the Pokemon you want for nothing significant in return. That's how I completed my Diamond pokedex (and I give Pokemon out too)

[quote name='Gigamaster89']I just canceled my FFXIII preorder because the SoulSilver Figure sold out. I wanted to buy the game with the credit.[/QUOTE]but it's just a cheap happy meal looking figurine. :lol: the "software only" version is the game and pokewalker, just no figurine.

Gawd. I can't wait for this to come out lol
I got this with free shipping, anyone have any idea when this might arrive?

[quote name='y2jasper']the only difference is what pokemon they have. most pokemon are on both games, but there are a handful available on one or the other (unless you trade).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='icedrake523']Just version exclusive pokemon. You'll also get Ho-Oh (level 40) before Lugia (level 70, after the Elite 4) in Heart Gold. Also, Groudon (Ruby cover mascot) is in Soul Silver and Kyogre (Sapphire cover mascot) is in Heart Gold.

It really doesn't matter much anymore with online trading. You can find people who will give you the Pokemon you want for nothing significant in return. That's how I completed my Diamond pokedex (and I give Pokemon out too)[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks! I remember my buddies and I trading with each other years ago, but well kinda sucked at the game so we were trading some garbage pokemon lol. Is the online trading ad-hoc or can I actually trade with someone across the world?

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']but it's just a cheap happy meal looking figurine. :lol: the "software only" version is the game and pokewalker, just no figurine.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that "cheap happy meal looking figurine" won't seem so cheap when pokemon collectors pay money for it on ebay. ;)

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Blue.

My little sister loves these games now, and I feel ancient because alls I know about is Team Rocket (prepare for trouble..make it double), Giovani, and that jerkoff Gary.

So, which is the version to get? It looks like silver is sold out on Amazon...so is gold the crappier game?

Is there anywhere else to pre-order silver with the figure or is this an Amazon exclusive?

Also, are these new games? Or re-makes like Leafgreen and Firered were?

Thanks.

(Side note -- whats the deal with the pokeball thing? Is it a Tamagotchi?)

[quote name='Pck21']Ah thanks! I remember my buddies and I trading with each other years ago, but well kinda sucked at the game so we were trading some garbage pokemon lol. Is the online trading ad-hoc or can I actually trade with someone across the world?[/QUOTE]
Worldwide

[quote name='soccerstud652']So, which is the version to get? It looks like silver is sold out on Amazon...so is gold the crappier game?

Is there anywhere else to pre-order silver with the figure or is this an Amazon exclusive?

Also, are these new games? Or re-makes like Leafgreen and Firered were?

Thanks.

(Side note -- whats the deal with the pokeball thing? Is it a Tamagotchi?)[/QUOTE]

Heart Gold isn't crappier. It just has different pokemon and you catch Ho-Oh before Lugia.

You can get the figurine in stores. GameStop advertised it, Best Buy has it, and I believe Toys R Us does, too. So if you want Silver and the figure, go there.

These are remakes of the GBC Gold/Silver games with elements of Crystal (the special version in the trio). Reason these will be popular is because the GBC games used a clock which drained the battery faster than typical GB games. As a result, many are dead today and their save data has been lost.

[quote name='Flame Killa']Anyone know if Walmart will have the figurines?[/QUOTE]

It looks like not only is Walmart getting the toy, but they are also doing exclusive packaging. It also comes with a dust jacket for the Pokewalker.

(Walmart doesn't allow hotlinking, so you'll have to search for yourself)

[quote name='KillerRamen']It looks like not only is Walmart getting the toy, but they are also doing exclusive packaging. It also comes with a dust jacket for the Pokewalker.

(Walmart doesn't allow hotlinking, so you'll have to search for yourself)[/QUOTE]

This may also be available at some locations in store, I remember for Plat I used the store finder and it said no sold in stores for the pack that came with figure and ds carrying case. anyways I picked a Walmart and lo and behold they had them (this was midnight on launch)

[quote name='icedrake523']Reason these will be popular is because the GBC games used a clock which drained the battery faster than typical GB games. As a result, many are dead today and their save data has been lost.[/QUOTE]

Wow seriously? I put 500+ hours into Gold way back when, and as of a couple of months ago it was still functioning fine.

[quote name='KillerRamen']It looks like not only is Walmart getting the toy, but they are also doing exclusive packaging. It also comes with a dust jacket for the Pokewalker.

(Walmart doesn't allow hotlinking, so you'll have to search for yourself)[/QUOTE]

oh really?

well that may have resolved my problem.

EDIT:

blah, online only?

[quote name='icedrake523']Guess you got a good battery. I got Silver the day it came out and mine is dead.[/QUOTE]

Same. I think it's been a good 6 years since my Gold Battery died, so it only lasted about 3 years before I lost my save.

How badass are we all gonna look with a pokewalker hanging from our belt loops everywhere we go? lol. I guess this makes spotting other pokemon nerds easier. You can even challenge strangers to a pokemon battle on the spot... Yea.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']How badass are we all gonna look with a pokewalker hanging from our belt loops everywhere we go? lol. I guess this makes spotting other pokemon nerds easier. You can even challenge strangers to a pokemon battle on the spot... Yea.[/QUOTE]

psh im gonna keep mine hidden in my pocket. its going to be like a guilty pleasure.

[quote name='Penguin1084']oh really?

well that may have resolved my problem.

EDIT:

blah, online only?[/QUOTE]

The game isn't out yet (all pre-orders are listed as online only). I assume the package will be available in stores when it's released. (or at least I hope so)

The "figurine" does look like a happy meal toy. But if you can get it for the same price as the game without it, than why not, right?

The Walmart version comes with a black cover for the pokewalker and the figure but is 5 dollars more than this Amazon price.

Oh and my Silver version for GBC died twice and I haven't picked it up again. I think the last time I checked was a couple of years ago.

I went ahead and pre-ordered a guide as well from Amazon for $11.xx since it was in my gold box. I just went back to my old Blue version and had no idea what I was doing when I quit like 10 years ago lol.

So I went ahead and ordered HeartGold from Amazon. I already have SoulSilver pre-ordered from Gamestop, but after seeing that Growlithe and Arcanine are exclusive to HG, I couldn't resist. Fire pokemon FTW! Anyways, I figure I'll give HG to my brother to play while I play SS, I know it will be a good game regardless.

[quote name='KillerRamen']The game isn't out yet (all pre-orders are listed as online only). I assume the package will be available in stores when it's released. (or at least I hope so)[/QUOTE]

yea I think you're right... I remember seeing the platinum bundle in store at walmart on release day (came with some sort of DS case)

but the thing is, I ordered both off of amazon, but my family and I will be on vacation in florida when it comes out... and I really want the game for the 17 hour car ride home. So I was hoping that I'd be able to pick it up (with the figurine) from a walmart nearby on release day.

So, fingers crossed that its also in-store!

[quote name='Fire_Thief']They stopped making guides years ago.[/QUOTE]
Not really. They just don't use the Nintendo Power brand name since it's no longer under Nintendo's hold. The main official Pokemon guides are still made by Nintendo.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']My Gold and Silver batteries still work....[/QUOTE]

Isn't the memory preserved for a short time if you're quick enough to swap out the batteries?

Depends. My Gold's battery still works just fine, as does my Crystal version. Most of the first released batteries have gone dead.

[quote name='Tsukento']Not really. They just don't use the Nintendo Power brand name since it's no longer under Nintendo's hold. The main official Pokemon guides are still made by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all
Nintendo stopped all it's publishing, guides and magazine

A new company prints Nintendo Power and Prima does the guides.
The last guide Nintendo did for Pokemon was Diamond and Pearl, the Platinum guide was Prima and the Gold/Silver guide will be Prima as well

I just picked up my SoulSilver toy from Target. It cost $1 to pre-order and I'll get a $5 giftcard from Target if I end up buying it there.

...It's smaller than I expected, but it looks nicer than I thought it would.

thinking about getting it from amazon, but is it going to arrive on my doorstep the day it comes out? i haven't tried preordering items online before.

[quote name='y2jasper']ok so what's the major difference between this guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-SoulSilver-Official-Strategy/dp/0307468038/ref=pd_sim_vg_2

and this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-SoulSilver-Pokedex-Official/dp/0307468054/ref=pd_sim_b_3

if i just want a guide that tells me pokemon locations i guess the second is better?[/QUOTE]

the first one is the guide which should include maps and everything and the second one is pokedex which is focus on pokemon

[quote name='Tsukento']Not really. They just don't use the Nintendo Power brand name since it's no longer under Nintendo's hold. The main official Pokemon guides are still made by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect, the Nintendo player's guide are discontinued.

"Around mid-2007, Nintendo seemed to have quietly discontinued the series after the publication of the guide for Pokémon Battle Revolution. Guides for popular games, including recent releases, are going out of stock at the Nintendo Online Store. No guide was published for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption,The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Endless Ocean, or Mario Kart Wii, and none have been announced for soon-to-be-released major Nintendo projects."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Player's_Guide

[quote name='br26']thinking about getting it from amazon, but is it going to arrive on my doorstep the day it comes out? i haven't tried preordering items online before.[/QUOTE]

well with release day delivery amazon has them at your door on day 1...but this game comes out on a sunday. realistically it would probably arrive on monday, but optimistically i can hope amazon decides to ship them out on friday, and it might arrive on saturday.

[quote name='62t']the first one is the guide which should include maps and everything and the second one is pokedex which is focus on pokemon[/QUOTE]

yeah that's what i guessed, i guess the second is what i'm more interested in, but it comes out a month after the game.

[quote name='y2jasper']ok so what's the major difference between this guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-SoulSilver-Official-Strategy/dp/0307468038/ref=pd_sim_vg_2

and this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-SoulSilver-Pokedex-Official/dp/0307468054/ref=pd_sim_b_3

if i just want a guide that tells me pokemon locations i guess the second is better?[/QUOTE]

The first one is a guide that goes until you "beat" the game
The second guide has extra story elements that lets you finish all the parts of the game completely after you "beat" it and then has the Pokedex.

So it's like 80% of the game is contained in the first guide and 20% and the Pokedex is contained in the second.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The first one is a guide that goes until you "beat" the game
The second guide has extra story elements that lets you finish all the parts of the game completely after you "beat" it and then has the Pokedex.

So it's like 80% of the game is contained in the first guide and 20% and the Pokedex is contained in the second.[/QUOTE]

So is the second one the most complete guide then?

[quote name='Pck21']So is the second one the most complete guide then?[/QUOTE]

More complete for finding Pokemon? Yeah that would be the one because it'll say "Chimchar - stats - moves - found in so and so"

More complete as in playing the game? That's mostly in the first one

See, for Platinum they released just one huge superbook that had the entire game and Pokedex in it. They switched it up this time

[quote name='Jaysonguy']More complete for finding Pokemon? Yeah that would be the one because it'll say "Chimchar - stats - moves - found in so and so"

More complete as in playing the game? That's mostly in the first one

See, for Platinum they released just one huge superbook that had the entire game and Pokedex in it. They switched it up this time[/QUOTE]

Ah cool. I'm glad I got the first one then because I don't really need the dex, just the guide on how to get through the game itself. Thanks!

I really dislike that they released it in two parts like that. its just a pain in the ass and it costs more than it should.

[quote name='icedrake523']Yeah, they did the same for DPPt.[/QUOTE]
Hm. My kids have the Platinum strategy guide and it's one gigantic thing. Weighs almost as much as my youngest son, I think. It's all in the one book, as far as I know.

BTW, did Amazon sell all of their allotment of Soul Silver? It's now showing as $70 from 3rd party sellers....

bread's done
Back