Pokemon X and Y Announced!

Does there seem to be any concensus on which one is better to buy , X or Y? (I remember with Black and White one had more towns or something.) 

Does there seem to be any concensus on which one is better to buy , X or Y? (I remember with Black and White one had more towns or something.)
The only differences between Black & White (besides the specific Pokemon) were which Mascot Legendary you can catch, which Kami you can catch, the design and Gym Leader of Opelucid City, and one of the bonus towns (Black City, White Forest).

Y will likely be more popular because of the mascot Legendary, though I expect the gap between the two to be smaller than the Gen V games.

Were there *any* deals for these games? No B1G1 half off? No promos of any kind?
Besides the poster for pre ordering both games at gamestop and target has pins I think. no other bonus deal so far..

I don't really need a poster so I pass on that..

This miight be decent deal if you plan to get both versions or one and another game..

<<<Buy 1 Get 1 40%OFF Any 3DS or Wii U game

• The Legend of Zelda Wind Walker HD :wiiu:
  • Angry Birds Trilogy :wiiu:
  • Pikmin 3 :wiiu:
  • Lego Legends of Chima : Laval's Journeys :3ds:
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited :3ds:
  • Hot Wheel World's Best Driver :3ds:
  • Pokemon X, Pokemon Y :3ds: -In store Saturday-
I got this info from this thread in deals area.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/320627-toysrus-ad-106-1012-b1g1-40-off-any-3dswii-u-game/

X is the most popular version as far as I know because the exclusive pokemon are better apparently. I don't really care as I am getting both games. Keep in mind this game has online trading and the GTS supposedly allows you to type in the name of any Pokemon even if you haven't seen it at all in the game so you don't really need to buy both but I tend to be a bit excessive with Pokemon since it is my favorite game of all time and basically the only game ever I am willing to buy on release day. That and I have a lot of gift cards to burn.

You will of course need to have your game online to use these features but if you don't have compatible wifi just go to McD's or another hotspot and trade for the Pokemon you need there.

I was set on getting Y, but that Mega Charizard X is making me change my mind. A fire/dragon type fits my style haha. 

I haven't played a Pokemon game seriously for a while so can you even duplicate items? I would imagine it being tough to find someone willing to trade a version exclusive mega stone. 

That's if they CAN be traded.

Normally the duplicate item glitch occurs during trading between 2 systems, but I don't know if they fixed that in Gen V or not.

The final evolutions of the of the new starters has leaked:

xy-evolutions-evolutions.jpg

I was already set on picking Froakie and I love his final form!!!

I like all the looks. Even Chesnaught, but I'll be starting as Froakie first. Water/Dark has the potential to be a great combo, though Fire/Psychic does too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you even catch charmanders/bulbasors/squirttles in the wild now? Last game I played was gold and you couldnt
Good question. Anybody know? I have a ton of starters on my Heart Gold but I would have to transfer them to White 2 and then to either X or Y... Ugh! #FirstWorldProblems. Nintendo should really make it easier to transfer Pokemon between generation. I know they are trying to prevent hacked Pokemone but those of us who went through hours and hours of legit gaming have to suffer because of those people.

You get one of the Kanto starters from Sycamore shortly into the game.

None of the starters will ever be able to be caught in the wild in the mainline series.

You get one of the Kanto starters from Sycamore shortly into the game.

None of the starters will ever be able to be caught in the wild in the mainline series.
Yea just read about that. Also, will you be able to get mew and mewtwo in these? It looks like we will be able to get mewtwo because I see a lot about his mega evolution, but I'm not sure.

No confirmation, but I would not be surprised if Mewtwo was a Story Capture.

Mew will undoubtedly be a WiFi-only Pokemon.

Well here's a picture of all the new pokemon. Spoiler tag of course.

Kalos region Pokemon look set, there might be more megas out there.

kumc.jpg

debating on possibly picking this up, I haven't played any pokemon games before but I'm looking to maybe pick up a 3ds again to play this and animal crossing again.

Alright, I'm going with Y and picking Froakie. Can't play the game til Tuesday though, the game had to come out right before exams ~_~.

I picked up the preorder pins at Target last night.

Hoping I can stroll into a Gamestop on Saturday and pick up X and Y and receive the poster.  I had preordered on Gamestop.com, then learned the poster was only for in-store.  By the time I tried to change my order to in-store pickup they had already taken it down.  :/

I think Pokemon finally pushed me over the edge to finally get a 3DS.  I was going to wait until the holidays to see if they did a Zelda bundle but I don't think I can wait anymore...Still trying to decide if I want the Blue or Red Pokemon XL.  My DSi XL is the red Mario one so I am leaning more towards the Blue one.

When does Nintendo update the eShop normally? Want to see if I will start downloading my copy at midnight or wait till tomorrow morning.

I hate to buy this digitally but that $30 credit for SMT and FE was too good to pass up.

I've never really played a Pokemon game before but I'm think about picking this up for my son (and me).  He is just learning to read though - will he still be able to play it?  I think he will like battling but may need help with figuring stuff out and strategy.  I know this is a dumb question but is the entire game just wandering around looking for Pokemon to battle to add to your collection once defeated and leveling up your characters?

I've never really played a Pokemon game before but I'm think about picking this up for my son (and me). He is just learning to read though - will he still be able to play it? I think he will like battling but may need help with figuring stuff out and strategy. I know this is a dumb question but is the entire game just wandering around looking for Pokemon to battle to add to your collection once defeated and leveling up your characters?
My nephew started playing Pokemon Blue back in 1998. He was four, and, couldn't read. He figured it out, and it actually helped him learn to read faster.

Same for another younger nephew of mine. His first Pokemon game was Pearl, and, he couldn't read. He figured it out as well, and again, his reading skills drastically improved to quickly adapt to the text-heavy game.

Pokemon is this: You pick a starter, battle and collect more Pokemon. You travel the land and defeat Gym Leaders that give you badges that you can eventually use to battle the "Elite Four" group (best of the CPU foes). There's also usually a sub-story plot with a "Team XXXX (Rocket, Plasma, etc.)" group that you'll have to do.

Trading and battling is the major premise. The mechanics can get super, super deep if you want them to. I would definitely recommend getting it for children...especially if they watch the anime or have any of the toys already.

Thanks Rig.  He recognizes Pikachu but doesn't watch any of the anime or own any toys (yet).  He would probably enjoy it and anything to help him with reading has to be a good thing.  He can do it but never wants to unless he is playing a game.  I think I'm going to pick it up (now to decide X or Y).

If you do, remember that you can download a Torchic via WiFi.

And it's a good time to watch the anime since the X&Y series will start soon.

My nephew started playing Pokemon Blue back in 1998. He was four, and, couldn't read. He figured it out, and it actually helped him learn to read faster.
That is literally the same exact way I learned to read. Funny thing, I was four years old as well, but I turned four the day the game released in the U.S.

This makes no sense LOL. I have a lot of learning to do...
On the main menu is an option called Mystery Gift. Select that, then hit Check For Gift and choose Get from Nintendo WFC. You will get the option to download a Torchic that can be picked up at any Poke Mart and it has an item that allows it to MegaEvolve, which is the only way to get the item.

You will need a wireless signal. If you don't have WiFi at home, McDonald's or Best Buy will work.

On the main menu is an option called Mystery Gift. Select that, then hit Check For Gift and choose Get from Nintendo WFC. You will get the option to download a Torchic that can be picked up at any Poke Mart and it has an item that allows it to MegaEvolve, which is the only way to get the item.

You will need a wireless signal. If you don't have WiFi at home, McDonald's or Best Buy will work.
I know how to DL it - what I have no idea about is WTF is a Torchic? :)

Thanks Rig. He recognizes Pikachu but doesn't watch any of the anime or own any toys (yet). He would probably enjoy it and anything to help him with reading has to be a good thing. He can do it but never wants to unless he is playing a game. I think I'm going to pick it up (now to decide X or Y).
Honestly, I'm not sure if one is "better" than the other. For the most part, there are a few exclusive Pokemon in each one. I ended up getting Diamond for the DS and had a good time playing it, without Pearl.

Either way, I think you will have a good game to play, maybe your son could help pick.

Download is taking so long. I wish it gave more information than the pretty graphics and sound effects of it downloading. Maybe that's just the technical side of me talking.

If you set it to background download, on the 3DS menu it'll give you a percentage %, but the box is more fun and quicker in my experience.

At my Gamestop's midnight launch, there was around 200 people or so, which is pretty crazy.  I'm never taking both my 3DS' to something like that again, since it was tough going back and forth between the two for streetpasses.

After playing for about 90 minutes, I'm still trying to soak in a lot of the new mechanics.  Make sure to activate the Player Search Service right away though, as it's your Street/Spotpass stuff.  You can't download Torchic or use Pokemon GL yet, but I guess that sorta makes sense since the game isn't out everywhere yet.  

Awesome so far. A lot easier to bring weak pokemon with you thanks to exp share and the exp for catching pokemon. 1st badge acquired, Caught about 15 pokemon so far. Digging the variety in pokemon available.

If you set it to background download, on the 3DS menu it'll give you a percentage %, but the box is more fun and quicker in my experience.

At my Gamestop's midnight launch, there was around 200 people or so, which is pretty crazy. I'm never taking both my 3DS' to something like that again, since it was tough going back and forth between the two for streetpasses.

After playing for about 90 minutes, I'm still trying to soak in a lot of the new mechanics. Make sure to activate the Player Search Service right away though, as it's your Street/Spotpass stuff. You can't download Torchic or use Pokemon GL yet, but I guess that sorta makes sense since the game isn't out everywhere yet.
I thought you could download Torchic already. A few places I've seen said that you can already. I'm not 100% sure though as I'm getting the game tomorrow morning.

Done for now. Made it to the big city. Loving this so far. The player interaction is crazy. Way better than I expect from Nitnendo. Randomly get power-ups and battle challenges from all over the globe. Did a wonder trade, which is basically a random swap between players wanting to trade pokemon.

Picked up my copy of Y.  I'm a bit disappointed by the towns/buildings not being in 3d when the view looks like they should be, but I do like the training feature as one of my biggest issues with Pokemon is sticking to my starter and the rest of my party being severely underpowered.  My friend code is in my sig.  Send me a PM if you add me so I can add you back.

Grabbed X and Y, Y is mine, X is for the lady. Kind of used X to get Fennekin to go with my Froakie though... she can start a new file when she gets here today :p

Grabbed X and Y, Y is mine, X is for the lady. Kind of used X to get Fennekin to go with my Froakie though... she can start a new file when she gets here today :p
I got both X and Y as well. I'm thinking of getting Froakie for X and Fennekin for Y, since X has a Fire/Dragon charizard.

What made you to choose Fennekin for X and Froakie for Y?

I'm loving this Wonder Trade system.  I just traded the Poodle looking pokemon and I got a Cubone in return.  I got a Honedge earlier from it as well.

bread's done
Back