Pokemon Y for $19.99 at Toys R Us on 12/6 -12/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Gotta figure they might print a retraction on this, but you should be able to get a price match at other stores with the flyer.

http://weeklyad.toysrus.com/ToysRUs/BrowseByPage/Index/?StoreID=2561290&PromotionID=95566&PromotionViewMode=1

If the link doesn't work, it's on Page 4 of the Friday and Saturday Ad.  

I'll be taking it to Best Buy in the morning for a price match.  

tru-pokemon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up not being able to get it. I sent my wife quite a bit of instructions on where to go at Walmart, what to tell them, what game to get, what their policy on PMs was, and more. I said a couple times that it ended last night and that the ad was the Friday/Saturday TRU ad. I asked her last night when I got to work if she had any success with it and she said "I thought I could get it tomorrow."

Oh well, there's always next time. BB had their $15 Black and White 2 sale in February last year, so maybe they will do another one in a couple months and I can score X and Y, Project X Zone, Fire Emblem, or a couple other 3DS games I have been wanting then.

To answer some Walmart specific questions:

Not all copy's at all stores are the Walmart Exclusive Scizor version, and the regular and exclusive versions are different SKUs.
Thanks for specifically answering this; do you also know if they have different UPCs? I assume if they have different SKUs they have different UPCs, but ya never know.

I ended up getting mine matched at Walmart in the electronics section yesterday with little trouble using the digital ad on my phone.

Just needed a manager approval due to it being a $20 difference.  

Now off to Gamestop to return the used one I bought on a B2G1 sale earlier, unfortunately cart only, no box/docs.

WoW T_T. Thanks so much hearing my cries!! Actually do you still have it? I need a full picture of the front and full picture of the inside page. They need to see the circular's valid sale dates
The sale already ended, its valid 12/6 - 12/7, so your better off just showing the pic above.

Damn I can't believe I missed out on this deal. I've been looking something like this since the game came out. Does anyone know of another deal coming up besides TRU's buy one get one 40% off (3DS games only) ?

Damn I can't believe I missed out on this deal. I've been looking something like this since the game came out. Does anyone know of another deal coming up besides TRU's buy one get one 40% off (3DS games only) ?
Not sure if this helps, but right now Best Buy has both Pokémon games on the list for Buy 1 get 1 half off, and it stacks with the 20% from Gamers Club Unlocked if you're a member of that. Total was around $50 ish for both games.

Thanks for specifically answering this; do you also know if they have different UPCs? I assume if they have different SKUs they have different UPCs, but ya never know.
Sorry, that's what I meant by different SKUs...they have different UPCs, which makes the CSRs assume they are completely different products.

It's amazing how inconsistent Walmart is on price matching. At least 3 Walmart's have told me you have to have the actual paper ad...no exceptions. Yet so many people here report otherwise. It's one of many things that really make them look totally incompetent.

Not sure if this helps, but right now Best Buy has both Pokémon games on the list for Buy 1 get 1 half off, and it stacks with the 20% from Gamers Club Unlocked if you're a member of that. Total was around $50 ish for both games.
Thanks for the reply but the BOGO deals aren't worth it as Pokemon Y is the only game left on my shopping list.

Sorry, that's what I meant by different SKUs...they have different UPCs, which makes the CSRs assume they are completely different products.

It's amazing how inconsistent Walmart is on price matching. At least 3 Walmart's have told me you have to have the actual paper ad...no exceptions. Yet so many people here report otherwise. It's one of many things that really make them look totally incompetent.
Great, thanks, ya that what I was worried about.

I was told by a manager once that the reason for inconsistencies across stores was because price matching requirements are up to discretion of store owner/manager. No clue the validity of that statement, but it at least gives some kind of explanation.

Just got back from Walmart about an hour ago and was able to get a copy of Pokemon X using Professor Micro's photo on my phone.

The woman at the register said they didn't match online pricing. "It says offer available in store only, ma'am." I said - and then she gave it to me. Didn't even question whether or not the offer was valid at Toys R Us - just matched it.

Meijer (Midwest superstore chain) in my area no longer price matches anywhere.

Target checks the price online.

Best Buy manager was savvy to my con - knew it was a misprint.

Walmart always pulls through when it comes to these deals for me. Hell, I've used ads older than a month at times. If someone's still itching to get this deal tomorrow, Walmart is your best bet by far. Use your phone with this picture on it and find the least tech-savvy looking clerk you can. Good luck!

Most of us don't rely on tricking people to find our deals.

I don't even know why you're telling us what you did like it's something to be proud of.

Most of us don't rely on tricking people to find our deals.

I don't even know why you're telling us what you did like it's something to be proud of.
Is the name of the website not "Cheap Ass Gamer"? I took the chance of going out and trying to get this deal a day late and it worked for me - sorry you've got sour grapes about it. I have no qualms about what I did, and I have no problem advising others on how they too can possibly get this deal after the sale (which wasn't even valid to begin with) at another retailer.

I'm cheap, and poor, and I wanted to get my buddy an awesome gift for Christmas. Sue me - because I AM proud I was able to get this deal - I feel it shows I have a certain amount of charm and persuasion.

If you think less of me for living up to this website's name, you have the right to not take what i have to say to heart. Don't judge me, dude :/

Is the name of the website not "Cheap Ass Gamer"? I took the chance of going out and trying to get this deal a day late and it worked for me - sorry you've got sour grapes about it. I have no qualms about what I did, and I have no problem advising others on how they too can possibly get this deal after the sale (which wasn't even valid to begin with) at another retailer.

I'm cheap, and poor, and I wanted to get my buddy an awesome gift for Christmas. Sue me - because I AM proud I was able to get this deal - I feel it shows I have a certain amount of charm and persuasion.

If you think less of me for living up to this website's name, you have the right to not take what i have to say to heart. Don't judge me, dude :/
scam if you must, but why brag here? not a damn thing to be proud of...

Be proud of what? That you knowingly defrauded a company? Be a man and tell the store manager what you did and then come gloat about it. You being poor is your prerogative and no one else, If your going to sit here and tell people not to judge you at least have the balls to go up to the store manager or even LP at that and see what they have to say to you.

I can go on just telling you what a piece of shit you are but I'm pretty sure you already know that.

I wasn't bragging - I was just explaining how someone could still get a deal if they were a little late. Like I said - the deal was never technically valid anyway, so going someplace else and getting the deal would have been dishonest anyway.

I'm just trying to help out someone in a similar position as me - I bought this for a friend as a gift for Christmas, I was late to the deal, but I was able to get it.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have mentioned using super old ads. Yeah, it's shitty, but I'm cheap :/

I've never understood why people think it's ok to equate cheap with shady.

The site is cheapassgamer, yes, we get it.  we're all cheap.

But we're not all weasels.

Y'all need to chillax. So he did a little fanagling, whatever. He isn't the only one who's ever done something a little shady and came to say how lucky he was. Hell, a couple weeks ago we all were bragging about how we conned Walmart out of tons of money due to a mistake on their end. Similar situation here. Cut the guy some slack, would ya?

I think you guys are both right.. hear me out. Yes, it's a little shady to mention a dishonest deal (since the deal ended). However, I think in this instance I would cut him some slack considering the entire deal itself was shady from the start since it was an error (even though I think a company should own up to it and honor their mistakes).

Let's just live and let live. Enjoy your Pokemon games. Meanwhile I'm over here reminiscing over the first time I got my hands on a Gameboy Color and Pokemon Blue Version. Good times. And now I'm reminded I should be studying for finals which makes me sad lol.

I think you guys are both right.. hear me out. Yes, it's a little shady to mention a dishonest deal (since the deal ended). However, I think in this instance I would cut him some slack considering the entire deal itself was shady from the start since it was an error (even though I think a company should own up to it and honor their mistakes).

Let's just live and let live. Enjoy your Pokemon games. Meanwhile I'm over here reminiscing over the first time I got my hands on a Gameboy Color and Pokemon Blue Version. Good times. And now I'm reminded I should be studying for finals which makes me sad lol.
Let and let live is a good motto. But this isn't just a case of flaming a guy because we feel like flaming him.

When people do shady shit like this, who do you think it really affects? Walmart? Not really.

it affects all of us who have to produce 18 forms of proof to get walmart to price match stuff because they're so used to people ripping them off.

So next time your walmart makes it a complete pain in the ass to price match a legitimate deal, and they have to read every single piece of fine print or they will get in trouble, you can thank people like him.

I hope your little "con" as you put it didn't get this poor woman fired. Enjoy your game.

Let and let live is a good motto. But this isn't just a case of flaming a guy because we feel like flaming him.

When people do shady shit like this, who do you think it really affects? Walmart? Not really.

it affects all of us who have to produce 18 forms of proof to get walmart to price match stuff because they're so used to people ripping them off.

So next time your walmart makes it a complete pain in the ass to price match a legitimate deal, and they have to read every single piece of fine print or they will get in trouble, you can thank people like him.
Blame him for getting people to properly do their job? Price matching is supposed to be hard, the business loses out on money when they do so. That's why those rules are in place. You literally just reprimanded him for doing something you were going to do eventually sometime later. If it's a legitimate deal, then you'll get it as long as it complies with the rules. Chances are if you don't get a legitimate PM to go through, it's because the manager is a dick, and not because he got jipped by a bajillion fake deals.

Honestly, anyone PMing this deal AT ALL should've fallen under your "shit" meter, considering how the ad was a MISPRINT by toys r us. THE PRICE WASN'T REAL. If other retailer's employees had done their jobs properly, no PMs should've gone through, considering how cashiers and managers were supposed to call TRU to confirm the deal and would've been informed that the ad is wrong. Stop calling just him out for something that a ton of other people are guilty of.

Note: Those who got copies at TRU aren't in the wrong here, it's the cashier's/manager's call if they wish to honor their company's mistake or not.

Anyways, back on topic (or lack thereof). This needs to be moved to the deal graveyard. Mods please?

Blame him for getting people to properly do their job? Price matching is supposed to be hard, the business loses out on money when they do so. That's why those rules are in place. You literally just reprimanded him for doing something you were going to do eventually sometime later. If it's a legitimate deal, then you'll get it as long as it complies with the rules. Chances are if you don't get a legitimate PM to go through, it's because the manager is a dick, and not because he got jipped by a bajillion fake deals.

Honestly, anyone PMing this deal AT ALL should've fallen under your "shit" meter, considering how the ad was a MISPRINT by toys r us. THE PRICE WASN'T REAL. If other retailer's employees had done their jobs properly, no PMs should've gone through, considering how cashiers and managers were supposed to call TRU to confirm the deal and would've been informed that the ad is wrong. Stop calling just him out for something that a ton of other people are guilty of.

Note: Those who got copies at TRU aren't in the wrong here, it's the cashier's/manager's call if they wish to honor their company's mistake or not.

Anyways, back on topic (or lack thereof). This needs to be moved to the deal graveyard. Mods please?
What in the world are your even talking about?

I'm saying that it takes at least twice as long to PM something at walmart because of people constantly trying to rip them off. People with legit PMs at walmart (not talking about this deal) have to suffer through a process that's really a pain in the ass because they are so wary of people ripping them off.

Rank and file don't want to get fired. Managers don't want to get conned. So everything takes so much longer because they have to scrutinize everything. BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE HIM RIP OFF WALMART. Do you understand now?

Regardless if it's a misprint or not, the guy used a photo on his phone after the alleged deal was already dead. He deliberately defrauded a company, admits to doing this with ads over a month old, even admits to being a con, advocated showing anybody how to do it and being proud of it to top.

I guess if somebody breaks into your house it's your fault for not having an alarm or having adequate security in place according to how you excuse things. I'm sure that will never happen since your so perfect and hold everybody to the standers and procedures they should be doing like you.

While what the guy did was indeed shady and wrong, the deal was dead from the start. Anyone who got Target/WM/Best Buy to PM this was doing something shady. That doesn't excuse the other guy from what he did, but in general everyone who got Pokemon Y at any store besides Toys R Us is in the wrong. Let's not even get into those who convinced WM/BBY/Target to sell them Pokemon X for $20 as well, they were in the wrong more so then people who just got Y.

I just went through 4 1/2 hours of HELL for this deal. I really need to rant. Here's the short version:

1. Drove 45 mins to the nearest Toys R Us.

2. Customer service manager said they would honor the ad price, but were out of stock.
*There was a notice that the ad price was wrong on the shelf*

3. Went to the Walmart in the same plaza to try to get the Walmart exclusive versions price matched.

4. Walmart had the game, but NOT the Exclusive Scizor code version. I decided to get it anyway, and exchange it later for the exclusive version. After some hesitation, they price matched two copies for me. Gave my flyer to the lady behind me, who wanted the same deal. (I WOULD LATER REGRET THIS)

5. Drove 45 mins home (through a bunch of one lane construction zones)

6. Went to my local Walmart. Asked the electronics employees if they had the exclusive version. They had no idea what I was talking about, of course. Walked over to the game shelf with an employee, and proceeded to take every copy of Y off the shelf to check them. None of them did. Was about to walk away when another employee walked up and pointed out a THIRD area where they had the game, which WAS THE EXCLUSIVE VERSION.

7. Went up to customer service to wait in the abnormally long line...but grateful for my luck. When It was my turn I pulled out the two copy's of the game and my reciept, and explained the situation as well as I could. She looked at all the items for a minute and finally said they were different SKUs, so all she could do was return them, and charge me the $40 difference. I tried to explain that they were the same game and price despite the different SKUs. She called a manager up who said even though the other Walmart price matched them, they can't use that price match, and I need the printed ad so THEY can price match the exclusive versions at THIS store.

8. I contemplated driving another 90 mins to get another ad, but immediately stopped that idea. I remembered that the local mall has a "fake" Toys R Us with a small selection of toys and nothing else.

9. Walked into the mall and asked if they had flyers for the real stores... AND THEY DID!

10. Walked back to Walmart, waited in an even longer Customer Service line. When it was my turn, the woman who helped me before strangely walked away from the register. A manager and another CS employee took over. I tried to explain the situation to the new woman. She was very confused and just stared at the games and the Toys R Us flyer for what felt like forever. The same manager that shut me down before came to help again, and told the CS employee to let me return the regular versions, and price match the AD for the exclusive versions. After a few more minutes she said "Ok you just owe us 6 cents" I said NO...these are all the same price, wanting to just scream to the heavens in frustration. She explained that the first Walmart price matched THE WRONG PRICE of $19.96 and she had to match the AD price of $19.99. I calmly said this was not my mistake, and asked why I should have to pay 6 more cents. She, and the manager both said I have to pay for the other store's mistake. I swiped my debit card for 6 cents and walked away with the two games I wanted.

All in all, this took four and a half hours, and a quarter tank of gas. Am I an idiot for doing all this? Maybe. But now I have one copy to give my sister for Christmas, and one for me.

So the moral is, Walmart believes the customer is never right, and will make them pay for their employee's mistakes.

/end rant
I'd suggest borrowing an economics textbook from your local library and reading about opportunity costs. If you felt the need to spend 4.5 hours to save $20, I feel sorry for you.

LOL that guy argued over 6 cents..... just lol
When I read he was arguing over $0.06 cents... He lost all respect lol. CAGs taking being cheap to a whole new level this year. Not to be a dick but it's hard to sympathize for that rant. Why didn't he just call Toys R Us before driving 90 minutes? Story seems suspects.

What in the world are your even talking about?

I'm saying that it takes at least twice as long to PM something at walmart because of people constantly trying to rip them off. People with legit PMs at walmart (not talking about this deal) have to suffer through a process that's really a pain in the ass because they are so wary of people ripping them off.

Rank and file don't want to get fired. Managers don't want to get conned. So everything takes so much longer because they have to scrutinize everything. BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE HIM RIP OFF WALMART. Do you understand now?
Let me put this in layman's terms so you can understand. It's not going "slower", it's going at "normal" speed. Technically you aren't losing time because the process was supposed to be this arduous and time-consuming to begin with. The only reason you "gained time" was because people took shortcuts and weren't doing their jobs properly. That system of checks and balances was always there.

Imagine if there's this route you always take to work, all surface streets. You plan for that amount of time anyways 40 mins. Then you discover a shortcut through an alleyway that saves you some time. You proceed to use it until one day a trash truck blocks the alley and forces you to go back to the original route. You may have changed your timing slightly, but the original plan was always going to take that amount of time, so you never actually lost travel time. That's how I see it.

EDIT: Better example: say you walk into a supermarket wanting to buy a pack of gum. Now out of all the bills in your wallet, you plan to use a $100 bill, knowing full well that there's a system in place to check if the bill is real (e.g. Watermark, run it through machines, other things) and that the cashier has to go through it to make sure it's legit. You plan for a certain amount of time to be taken due to that system, however the actual amount of time taken depends on how efficiently and accurately the cashier does their job. Most just check for the watermark, thereby saving you some time but unfortunately makes it so that the system, according to your mind, takes as long as it takes to check the watermark. Once you run into a cashier properly going through most of the checks in the system, you start strumming your fingers against the counter, getting angry that the person is wasting your time because you're used to people taking shortcuts, when in actuality, EVERY cashier should've taken that long to properly check the bill in the first place. That's what you're doing here. You're getting angry at him because people like him are actually forcing people to do their jobs properly, and taking the normal amount of time it should've taken to get through a process like this.

Regardless if it's a misprint or not, the guy used a photo on his phone after the alleged deal was already dead. He deliberately defrauded a company, admits to doing this with ads over a month old, even admits to being a con, advocated showing anybody how to do it and being proud of it to top.

I guess if somebody breaks into your house it's your fault for not having an alarm or having adequate security in place according to how you excuse things. I'm sure that will never happen since your so perfect and hold everybody to the standers and procedures they should be doing like you.
I'm not saying he's in the right, I'm saying stop calling just him out. And you're focusing on the wrong thing. It' doesn't matter who's fault it is, the fact of the matter is that if you don't have a system in place to prevent losses from happening, then they're GOING TO HAPPEN. Hell, even if you have a system, it's not completely foolproof. Growing up in this world, I've learned that it's not as innocent as it used to be. To use a quote from Hugh Laurie, "Everybody lies". People are always looking for quick and easy ways to make their lives easier, no matter if their practices are legitimate or not. THAT'S why I'm saying that he hasn't lost any time, because businesses are always looking to protect themselves and have a system in place to do so, which employees are required to follow. Some don't, which is why PMing is easier at some places and insanely harder at others, even though it's supposed to be insanely hard everywhere.

Dear lord, what's with the hostility? I'm not saying I'm perfect. I'm also not saying that everyone else should be perfect neither, but I believe that whenever money is exchanged hands for services rendered (e.g paychecks), the job should be done properly. A LOT of people like taking shortcuts, regardless of efficiency.

EDIT: Better example: say you walk into a supermarket wanting to buy a pack of gum. Now out of all the bills in your wallet, you plan to use a $100 bill, knowing full well that there's a system in place to check if the bill is real (e.g. Watermark, run it through machines, other things) and that the cashier has to go through it to make sure it's legit. You plan for a certain amount of time to be taken due to that system, however the actual amount of time taken depends on how efficiently and accurately the cashier does their job. Most just check for the watermark, thereby saving you some time but unfortunately makes it so that the system, according to your mind, takes as long as it takes to check the watermark. Once you run into a cashier properly going through most of the checks in the system, you start strumming your fingers against the counter, getting angry that the person is wasting your time because you're used to people taking shortcuts, when in actuality, EVERY cashier should've taken that long to properly check the bill in the first place. That's what you're doing here. You're getting angry at him because people like him are actually forcing people to do their jobs properly, and taking the normal amount of time it should've taken to get through a process like this.
And the only reason those cashiers need to check $100 bills in the first place is because some people use fake bills. If nobody ever used fake/counterfit money, then there'd be no reason to do any of those checks.

That's the part you're missing here. He's not getting angry because people like the other guy force cashiers/managers to go through the whole lengthy process; he's angry because people like the other guy are the reason the process is so lengthy in the first place.

And the only reason those cashiers need to check $100 bills in the first place is because some people use fake bills. If nobody ever used fake/counterfit money, then there'd be no reason to do any of those checks.

That's the part you're missing here. He's not getting angry because people like the other guy force cashiers/managers to go through the whole lengthy process; he's angry because people like the other guy are the reason the process is so lengthy in the first place.
bingo.

tbh, i couldn't even make it through crazyglitcher's wall of text.

wtf. what does it matter it to you? You can just as easily unfollow and ignore it.
I'm locking the thread because the deal is dead.

I'm the one who created the topic and it certainly seems if it's degraded to nothing more than a semantic argument about whether or not people think it's OK to spend hours saving a few dollars or arguing about the merits of trying to get price matches on expired ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back