Portal 2 (360 & PS3) - $39.99 new, $34.99 used (4/30 thru 5/6) at GameStop

choffy21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Portal 2 is $40 new on the Xbox 360 and PS3, $35 used this week at Gamestop.

Just a heads up, if you get the right employee, have them try to look up "*backupcode" in the system, and they can print you off an extra Roll Cage skin pre-order code. Many employees are unaware of this, but I've done it for tons of people at my store (also works for the Mortal Kombat Scorpion code and SOCOM 4 map and shotgun codes).

EDIT: I will print out codes for those of you who tried to get the codes for the Roll Cage but didn't. Send me a PM with a picture of the receipt with proof you didn't get a skin and I'll try to get one for you. No idea how many I'll be able to get, so it'll be first come, first serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brother Daz']Once i realized I can get way more money from game selling on ebay, I stopped trading in at GS. The only time I trade there now is when they have the extra $10/$20 with 4-6 games with a minimun trade in of $2 or more deals. Their normal trade in prices are a fucking joke with newer games.[/QUOTE]

EBay is the way to go. I mean hell, you'll make more money and you won't be locked into using store credit. In the end, you make more money.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Most likely the receipt would look like this:

Portal 2 $59.99
Promo -$20.00

So it would have to be scanned in the pos system to show up for the $40.

Also BLOPS on PS360 is $10 off on new/used copies again.[/QUOTE]

exactly how mine rang up -$20 for the promo

I called my local gamestop and they have copies for the sale price. I'm thinking about picking one up, I really want to play it. But I know the price is going to drop even more within the next few weeks. IE: Kmart

To save 5-10bucks and wait or pay 40 and pick it up now! hrmmmmm :/

I want to get Portal 2, but I have no problem waiting a few weeks as my back log is pretty full right now.

At the moment, I'm sitting on:

$50 worth of Amazon cards
$108 worth of Wal-mart gift cards
$75 worth of BB cards
$53 worth of GS gift cards
b2 used g1 used free GS coupon
A copy of Metroid M that I paid $15 for can be traded to GS for $12 (using the 25% + 10% towards the purchase of portal 2.

I'm thinking that getting portal 2 for $29.94 out the door with the Metroid M trade in may be the best bet.

Just to add some data. Gamestop in San Luis Obispo had it for the sale pricing. Amusingly, said store had not received the new ad, so I think maybe corp dropped the ball on some level.

[quote name='labrat34']the new price of 39.99 is good in store and online. the used price of 34.99 is only good online[/QUOTE]

i got it for 34.99 in store a couple of hours ago.

Hey fellow cheapees ! Im new to the clan.get this, i asked gamestop if portal 2 is on sale and they sakr Yea but only the ps3 version i said to myself wtf did this guy just lie to me lol and as im thinking this he said see only the one on the picture on the ad is on sale (though it clearly states also on 360 and the pc version is 30)i asked him why only the ps3 version and he said cause psn is down so they want to sell it now and that the 360 version is better oh and shooters are better on 360 anyway (as if i asked him for How opinión anyway)i wanted the ps3 version anyway so i played along and got it for 30 with my 10 dollars with my copon man gamestop is so lame sometimes lol.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hey fellow cheapees ! Im new to the clan.get this, i asked gamestop if portal 2 is on sale and they sakr Yea but only the ps3 version i said to myself wtf did this guy just lie to me lol and as im thinking this he said see only the one on the picture on the ad is on sale (though it clearly states also on 360 and the pc version is 30)i asked him why only the ps3 version and he said cause psn is down so they want to sell it now and that the 360 version is better oh and shooters are better on 360 anyway (as if i asked him for How opinión anyway)i wanted the ps3 version anyway so i played along and got it for 30 with my 10 dollars with my copon man gamestop is so lame sometimes lol.[/QUOTE]

They have a lot of fanboys working there. I say if you own all consoles, then pick up the one you will enjoy the most. If a game has online mp, I'll pick up for the PS3 because it's free to play online lol. Anyways that's just my two cents. When I used to work at Game Crazy, I would get asked all of the time which console was better.

Gamestop.com lists Portal 2 as unavailable used on both PS3 and Xbox 360. Any voices of experience want to weigh in on the chances of restocking before the end of the sale?

[quote name='dkl415']Gamestop.com lists Portal 2 as unavailable used on both PS3 and Xbox 360. Any voices of experience want to weigh in on the chances of restocking before the end of the sale?[/QUOTE]

It has never been available used online not yet anyway and probably wont be by next friday when it ends

Just another confirmation of a B&M Gamestop selling the game for all consoles at listed sale price.

I handed the associate the game and asked her to price check it for $40, she said "Like hell." rung it up and let out a nice "What the fuck???" at the $40 price.

Shows up as Portal 2 - $39.00, Disc: 20.00 Promo #11192.

Thanks OP.

She wouldn't print me out a slip for the DLC though.. that kinda sucks.

[quote name='Cobarde']I handed the associate the game and asked her to price check it for $40, she said "Like hell." rung it up and let out a nice "What the fuck???" at the $40 price.

She wouldn't print me out a slip for the DLC though.. that kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]

Wow. What a bitch.

Quick question for people who bought this for ps3, is the code for the pc steam copy included in the package? I don't see it written on the box

Got one today but they didn't have any used copies. I forgot to ask for the DLC and I am pretty sure the cashier would have given it to me since she was very nice (and hot!).

[quote name='jsub']Quick question for people who bought this for ps3, is the code for the pc steam copy included in the package? I don't see it written on the box[/QUOTE]

Yea it's on a slip right inside of the box.

I decided to pick it up, I was able to get the DLC also. I'm a fairly good-looking guy and the employee was a girl, she offered the code to me without having to ask.... All I did was talk to her for a good extra 3mins about the PSN issue. Sweet (;

My b&m Target would not price match :( -- I think I may either buy the PC version online or work through my backlog and wait for the next price drop.

I'm a bit confused. Do ALL :ps3: versions of Portal 2 come with the PC/MAC Steam version, or is that limited only to copies sold by Gamestop? (I've checked the product listings on BestBuy and Amazon, and they don't mention the PC/MAC version coming with the PS3 version)

Well be biting on this.. finished up Mortal Kombat and will be done with Crysis 2 soon, so I'll have this to play. May also check out Kmart to see if they have it for the $35.00 price.

Wait, you can still get the DLC from GS? I was planning to get it from Best Buy with my gift cards. Does Best Buy have dlc? Also is the dlc for the PC ver. too?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I'm a bit confused. Do ALL :ps3: versions of Portal 2 come with the PC/MAC Steam version, or is that limited only to copies sold by Gamestop? (I've checked the product listings on BestBuy and Amazon, and they don't mention the PC/MAC version coming with the PS3 version)[/QUOTE]

Any place has the PS3+PC version. Gamestop just has the sale.

i think it's interesting that Steam is ignoring this sale. I would think it's taking a lot from them.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Any place has the PS3+PC version. Gamestop just has the sale.

i think it's interesting that Steam is ignoring this sale. I would think it's taking a lot from them.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If you wanted to, you could sell the extra copy on eBay for some profit.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Any place has the PS3+PC version. Gamestop just has the sale.

i think it's interesting that Steam is ignoring this sale. I would think it's taking a lot from them.[/QUOTE]

K, thanks! Amazon and BestBuy should make that more clear on their product pages; they'd probably sell more copies if they did. Thanks again!

CAG's, I need a little help here on trying to maximize this deal.

I fully intend on getting Portal 2 this week because my friend wants to play co-op with me. I'm planning on getting a used copy for the 360 since I have PUR, plenty of credits, and want to conserve my money.

So the TIV for Portal 2 currently sits at $20 according to the forums. There is that LA Noire deal going on which includes Portal 2 as one of the eligible games. Do you CAGs have any suggestions for a second game I could get cheap and flip to get on the LA Noire deal? I'm in all likelihood going to trade in Portal 2 once I'm done. Although I suppose I am free to trade it back in after a week, but I feel kind of dickish pulling that off.

[quote name='Kyoz']I decided to pick it up, I was able to get the DLC also. I'm a fairly good-looking guy and the employee was a girl, she offered the code to me without having to ask.... All I did was talk to her for a good extra 3mins about the PSN issue. Sweet (;[/QUOTE]

LOL....this is hilarious.

got my 360 version price adjusted today at gamestop...they returned my 54.99 copy and sold it back out as 39.99

in turn, i bought the PS3 version that includes the PC copy...so all in all, all 3 versions for $80

[quote name='dylandersen']When the shit is Amazon going to Price MATCH this? Anyone send them the link yet? I did a few times.[/QUOTE]

I've sent it in a couple of times too. I really hope they match it.

I thought for sure Amazon would match it by now. They're usually pretty quick about PMing and I'm sure they've been spammed with it. Being that its a week long sale, I'd be shocked if they didn't match it at all.

EDIT - Maybe they're lazy and waiting til tomorrow for the Kmart $35 price match so they don't have to refund $5 to a bunch of people? Yeah that's it!

I picked 1 up today. If any of you guys are getting flack from employees, ask them to either scan the game or look @ the current ad in-store. I am so glad that the GS I work @ is full of nice and competent people like myself.

I went back to my gamestop today and they were nice enough to price match my purchase from 6 days ago. They did make it seem like they were making a special exception for me but at least they did.

For those who want the roll cage skin but didn't get one, send me a PM with a picture of the receipt (so I can see you aren't greedy and really didn't get a code), and I'll send out codes tomorrow. I'm not sure how many I'll be able to print out, so it'll be first come, first serve.

I think what some people are forgeting is that Valve is much more than a game developer. They want exposure. And they will make money off DLC. I no I will grab it especially if it goes on sale and if its all free on PC then thats the coolest thing ever.

I would almost guarantee that you see Portal 2 on sale again during the summer sale. Probably near the release of the first DLC.

[quote name='el swordo']wow that dropped fast. got it for $45 on the day it came out at bestbuy and knocked it down to $30 with a rz coupon but still.[/QUOTE]

Ain't it great, hope you kept your receipt so you can get $20 back & they'll refund the $5 RZ back to you. Plus you should've gotten the $10 gc not sure if you pre-ordered it to get the $10 also but if you did $35 + $20 credit for a AAA title day 1 is nice.

has someone confirmed that the in store used price is 34.99, or is that maybe ymmv? gamestop.com still says that 34.99 is online only price, and when i called a gamestop yesterday, they said their used price was 54.99

well, i just called again, and now they are saying the used in store is 34.99. time to go in for a price adjustment!

[quote name='choffy21']For those who want the roll cage skin but didn't get one, send me a PM with a picture of the receipt (so I can see you aren't greedy and really didn't get a code), and I'll send out codes tomorrow. I'm not sure how many I'll be able to print out, so it'll be first come, first serve.[/QUOTE]

Awesome I will post mine when I get in from church this morning.

[quote name='choffy21']Portal 2 is $40 new on the Xbox 360 and PS3, $35 used this week at Gamestop.

Just a heads up, if you get the right employee, have them try to look up "*backupcode" in the system, and they can print you off an extra Roll Cage skin pre-order code. Many employees are unaware of this, but I've done it for tons of people at my store (also works for the Mortal Kombat Scorpion code and SOCOM 4 map and shotgun codes).

EDIT: I will print out codes for those of you who tried to get the codes for the Roll Cage but didn't. Send me a PM with a picture of the receipt with proof you didn't get a skin and I'll try to get one for you. No idea how many I'll be able to get, so it'll be first come, first serve.[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to still get a Hostess Dynamic Theme code for Yakuza 4? I didn't pre-order the game, but I am willing to buy another to get the code. I tried calling my store by they said they couldn't do any transactions with it. I really, and I mean really, want that theme.:whistle2:#

bread's done
Back