Portal 2 (360 & PS3) - $39.99 new, $34.99 used (4/30 thru 5/6) at GameStop

choffy21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Portal 2 is $40 new on the Xbox 360 and PS3, $35 used this week at Gamestop.

Just a heads up, if you get the right employee, have them try to look up "*backupcode" in the system, and they can print you off an extra Roll Cage skin pre-order code. Many employees are unaware of this, but I've done it for tons of people at my store (also works for the Mortal Kombat Scorpion code and SOCOM 4 map and shotgun codes).

EDIT: I will print out codes for those of you who tried to get the codes for the Roll Cage but didn't. Send me a PM with a picture of the receipt with proof you didn't get a skin and I'll try to get one for you. No idea how many I'll be able to get, so it'll be first come, first serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bingbangboom']As a gamer that has gotten back in the habit of buying new release games this is giving me less and less reason to do so. Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat are $40 two weeks after launch, I got both with deals anyway but it makes me feel a little less worried about picking up games like Brink or L.A. Noire right away.
Not complaining because I would rather these games be cheaper up front and stay that way for a long time.[/QUOTE]
huh?
Large price drops w/i 30 days of release are great if you buy for full price day 1 w/bonuses b/c you get both...all the pre-order stuff plus cheaper price you can't lose.
People buying portal 2 or MK now at $40 or $30 are getting less than me. I paid $45 for Portal 2 & $60 for MK got $20 giftcard + $20 in pre-order credit next week I'll get the price matches & get $10 back for portal 2 and $30 back for MK. The $40 in credit makes LA Noire $20 on day 1 plus it comes with a $10 pre-order bonus also. If you do this constantly you get most games for $30($40 -$10 pre-order credit) just keep your receipts.

[quote name='DoubleEcksZero']I price matched at Walmart to get mine today.[/QUOTE]
Tried that at my Walmart... They told me they couldn't price match until tomorrow :(

[quote name='DigitalE']Tried that at my Walmart... They told me they couldn't price match until tomorrow :([/QUOTE]
It's sort of hit or miss, before walmart I tried Best Buy, Target, and TRU. In my area it seems that Walmart employees have simply run out of fucks to give about such things, lucky me ^_^

Not to be knitpicky but getting a $20 gift card does not make a sixty dollar game forty dollars. It makes your next purchase cheaper.

I don't like to pre-order because you never really know if the place you are buying from is going to get you the best deal. You can keep all of your gift cards, mail in rebates, and stupid costumes. I just want the game to be cheap ($40 with no BS).

[quote name='skadave']Not to be knitpicky but getting a $20 gift card does not make a sixty dollar game forty dollars. It makes your next purchase cheaper.

I don't like to pre-order because you never really know if the place you are buying from is going to get you the best deal. You can keep all of your gift cards, mail in rebates, and stupid costumes. I just want the game to be cheap ($40 with no BS).[/QUOTE]

Huh?
I paid $45 for portal got a $10 giftcard + $10 pre-order credit, next week I'll get the price match giving back $10 end result $35 + $10 giftcard + $10 credit
I paid $60 for MK got a $10 giftcard + $10 pre-order credit, next week I'll get $20 back end result $40 + $10 giftcard + $10 credit.

I can then take the $20 in giftcards & $20 in credit to make LA Noire $20 on day 1 plus I get another $10 credit for buying it.
$40 + $10 or $20 in credit > $40 w/o credit plus BB is 3 miles from my home & I drive past another 1 everyday.
I only pre-order for the largest credit and/or GC not for DLC though.

Deceptive ad states the Gamestop flyer(29-6) includes $20 off Portal 2 but when you look @ the ad it states sale begins 4/30. OP fix your headline you owe me $5 in gas, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='killer9']will i still be able to get the 25% towards purchase of portal 2 and la noire with the sale?[/QUOTE]
ya those deals dont end until the 8th

I checked online but the price still said $60. I put a hold for a copy near me for in store pick up! Hope they have one when I get around there tomorrow after work.

I just sold my Mortal Kombat insert for $21 dollars, and a Portal 2 voucher for $21 so this is free for me. I can't wait to play this! I love being a cheapassgamer!

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']Anyone know if the used version will be dropped alongside? I kinda don't want to buy Portal 2 new.[/QUOTE]

no its still $54.99 just picked it up used, if I beat it by Monday im returning it

[quote name='skadave']Not to be knitpicky but getting a $20 gift card does not make a sixty dollar game forty dollars. It makes your next purchase cheaper.

I don't like to pre-order because you never really know if the place you are buying from is going to get you the best deal. You can keep all of your gift cards, mail in rebates, and stupid costumes. I just want the game to be cheap ($40 with no BS).[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Used is 34.99 online - don't know if it dropped in store, as well. It's not available online right now, anyway... Just a heads up if you find any on your locator. I'd love to find one - I still have my $10 used coupon. That and PUR would put this in my price range already...

I'm going to print out a copy of the weekend sale ad and try to price match at my local Target -- I'll let you all know how I make out.

Not to be knitpicky but getting a $20 gift card does not make a sixty dollar game forty dollars. It makes your next purchase cheaper.

I don't like to pre-order because you never really know if the place you are buying from is going to get you the best deal. You can keep all of your gift cards, mail in rebates, and stupid costumes. I just want the game to be cheap ($40 with no BS).

Pretty much exactly how I feel too! Really ticks me off when people are like "oh I got it for $35 at launch!!!" No, you got it for $10 off with a $15 credit! All that credit means to me is that I'll probably have to spend even MORE money to use it. Just give me the game for an actual $35 and I'll be happy.

Im glad I have my original receipt. My store manager will at times credit me back the difference knowing. I'll just use it towards something else there. Or if I get one of the others I'll just doa buy and return. (proud to be a CAG). After at it is 20 bux

In store pickup is $59.99? Whaaaaat?

Is the $40 price online only? Have any of you guys and gals bought the game for $40 at a B&M store yet today?

[quote name='Enuf']Huh?
I paid $45 for portal got a $10 giftcard + $10 pre-order credit, next week I'll get the price match giving back $10 end result $35 + $10 giftcard + $10 credit
I paid $60 for MK got a $10 giftcard + $10 pre-order credit, next week I'll get $20 back end result $40 + $10 giftcard + $10 credit.

I can then take the $20 in giftcards & $20 in credit to make LA Noire $20 on day 1 plus I get another $10 credit for buying it.
$40 + $10 or $20 in credit > $40 w/o credit plus BB is 3 miles from my home & I drive past another 1 everyday.
I only pre-order for the largest credit and/or GC not for DLC though.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you realize what a complete mess this is? You're still buying these items new and at full cost -- Gift Cards and Credits are not the same as money, no matter how much explanation you put, or how many games you are (forced) to continue to buy. The Pre-Order Credit/Gift Card is a vicious cycle I'm glad I have never got caught up in.

The obvious fact is, if you can wait it out, any game on the planet is $40 within a few months, and $20 within a year (with the lone exception of something like Call of Duty which rarely drops because it sells so much regardless)

One question guy-
WIll the $10 bonus for trading in 3 games and 25% extra towards portal 2 stack?

nevermind found my answer. About to go to best buy to price match

It's actually 34.99 for the used version. The sticker was 54.99 but it ranged up for 34.99 but i couldn't use the 10 dollar off coupon because they said that it didn't stack.

[quote name='Tiny Gallon']Wow, you realize what a complete mess this is? You're still buying these items new and at full cost -- Gift Cards and Credits are not the same as money, no matter how much explanation you put, or how many games you are (forced) to continue to buy. The Pre-Order Credit/Gift Card is a vicious cycle I'm glad I have never got caught up in.

The obvious fact is, if you can wait it out, any game on the planet is $40 within a few months, and $20 within a year (with the lone exception of something like Call of Duty which rarely drops because it sells so much regardless)[/QUOTE]
Yeah I know what you mean. Buying used has saved me so much money over the past few months. I have over 15 used games and I spent around $200. Gohastings is my site for used games. I only buy when I get a game for free or I have to have it like sports games NBA 2K11.

Guys I just came from a Gamestop like 5 minutes ago and the dude said its online only. Don't know if this is just good ol' Gamestop Employee incompetence or what but there you go

[quote name='luminaria']Notified Amazon about GS's lower prices on all 3 platforms. I'd really love for them to do a price match.[/QUOTE]

thanks for that.. hate my local gamestop. just don't want deal with them

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']thanks for that.. hate my local gamestop. just don't want deal with them[/QUOTE]

I hate them as well. I just can't believe some of their prices. I have yet to trade in a game to them since I did some years ago. Totally not worth it if you ask me.

[quote name='luce']Guys I just came from a Gamestop like 5 minutes ago and the dude said its online only. Don't know if this is just good ol' Gamestop Employee incompetence or what but there you go[/QUOTE]

and that's exactly what I was talking about...:cool:

[quote name='luce']Guys I just came from a Gamestop like 5 minutes ago and the dude said its online only. Don't know if this is just good ol' Gamestop Employee incompetence or what but there you go[/QUOTE]

I would definitely call before they pulled that crap on me. The closest one is 10 minutes away but still that's crazy considering gas prices, lol.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I would definitely call before they pulled that crap on me. The closest one is 10 minutes away but still that's crazy considering gas prices, lol.[/QUOTE]

Well I live in the city so my Gamestop is like right around the corner. So it wasn't that bad

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I hate them as well. I just can't believe some of their prices. I have yet to trade in a game to them since I did some years ago. Totally not worth it if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Once i realized I can get way more money from game selling on ebay, I stopped trading in at GS. The only time I trade there now is when they have the extra $10/$20 with 4-6 games with a minimun trade in of $2 or more deals. Their normal trade in prices are a fucking joke with newer games.

i like how you guys are blaming gamestop employees.

gamestop.com has ALWAYS been different from the stores. They always do promos and special orders to drive online sales.

Pricematched at my local BestBuy with no problems. I had a $25 gift card I needed to use. I printed out the Portal 2 page from GameStop and took it with me. They just checked the GameStop website to confirm the price and then rang it up. Thanks, OP!

I also went to GameStop and saw the ad displayed in the store, with no mention of it being online only, so I would certainly argue it.

[quote name='oxidative']I'm confused why this is not good in store.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/current/042911/pdf/olfsi_042911.pdf

That ad is on their website and I received a copy in my e-mail and it is very clearly the in-store ad. Why is Gamestop such a PITA. Are their computers just that stupid? I'd love to pick up the PC version for $30 but not if it's going to be a hassle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that ad makes no mention of it being online only. As a matter of fact, the fine print on the bottom says that some of the prices may not be true for gamestop.com, not the other way around.

Before everyone jumps to conclusions, remember it's only one person who said the store told them it was online only. Now if this is a special sale the item must be finalized in the transaction before the real price comes up. If the poster asked, and the employee only scanned the item then the original price will show and NOT the sale price. Therefore the ignorant employee made a mistake.

I justed asked the dude if Portal 2 is on sale. He said the only price drops he was notified of for today was Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2. Then I said I saw it online and he said "It's probably just an online deal".

He didn't ring it up and scan it, I just asked a question and left. Probably not his fault, Idk how these things work but I don't feel like going back right now

[quote name='btw1217']Pricematched at my local BestBuy with no problems. I had a $25 gift card I needed to use. I printed out the Portal 2 page from GameStop and took it with me. They just checked the GameStop website to confirm the price and then rang it up. Thanks, OP!

I also went to GameStop and saw the ad displayed in the store, with no mention of it being online only, so I would certainly argue it.[/QUOTE]

i did the same ting

Most likely the receipt would look like this:

Portal 2 $59.99
Promo -$20.00

So it would have to be scanned in the pos system to show up for the $40.

Also BLOPS on PS360 is $10 off on new/used copies again.

bread's done
Back