Portal 2 (360 & PS3) - $39.99 new, $34.99 used (4/30 thru 5/6) at GameStop

choffy21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Portal 2 is $40 new on the Xbox 360 and PS3, $35 used this week at Gamestop.

Just a heads up, if you get the right employee, have them try to look up "*backupcode" in the system, and they can print you off an extra Roll Cage skin pre-order code. Many employees are unaware of this, but I've done it for tons of people at my store (also works for the Mortal Kombat Scorpion code and SOCOM 4 map and shotgun codes).

EDIT: I will print out codes for those of you who tried to get the codes for the Roll Cage but didn't. Send me a PM with a picture of the receipt with proof you didn't get a skin and I'll try to get one for you. No idea how many I'll be able to get, so it'll be first come, first serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cadeSILVER']Yeah, who would ever want to play co-op with more than one person?

Also, who would EVER play one of the soon-to-be-hundreds-of custom maps after the SDK is released?

@HeSaveDave: Yup.[/QUOTE]

Well Co-op doesn't have any replay value either. Once you finish it once with someone else the puzzles aren't going to change just because you are playing it with someone else. I mean I read it has 12 hours of gaming which is pretty high for today's standards. I just don't care to pay more than $20 for this type of game.

[quote name='3rdbass']Well Co-op doesn't have any replay value either. Once you finish it once with someone else the puzzles aren't going to change just because you are playing it with someone else. I mean I read it has 12 hours of gaming which is pretty high for today's standards. I just don't care to pay more than $20 for this type of game.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't, but it still seems like it'd be quite enjoyable to play it through with more than one person, if only for getting frustrated at someone else who doesn't listen and makes mistakes in a different way. :p

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Is this game good?[/QUOTE]

A lot of people are going to tell you its the greatest game ever, but I thought it was just ok. I don't regret my decision buying it (got it for really cheap through Amazon), but the game could have been so much better. It starts off great, but it just dragged on too long. Major pacing issues. A lot of the game is just wandering around repetitive, slightly boring, environments, throwing around portals just to get to the next ledge from time to time. Not fun. Also, the new gameplay mechanics are nice (different types of gel) but most of the puzzles were just too easy and the solutions a little too obvious. Very little replay value.

do you think best buy will match this? i have $10 GC that is burning a hole in my wallet and $30 is my buy price for this game.

[quote name='mslowe7187']do you think best buy will match this? i have $10 GC that is burning a hole in my wallet and $30 is my buy price for this game.[/QUOTE]

Just price match kmart's 34.99 price at best buy.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']wow...will GS match their own price within 30 days...i feel like anyone who preordered just got the middle finger if not[/QUOTE]

that is what I want to know, I doubt they will but I can always dream

[quote name='breakingcustoms']wow...will GS match their own price within 30 days...i feel like anyone who preordered just got the middle finger if not[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='malfuncti0n']really don't understand how Valve thought that $60 was a reasonable asking price for this game. from what i've heard it's not all that much longer than the original.[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand how you can assume $60 is too much without having even played the game...

Well, if they don't, you can always buy a new one for $40, and then return it with the old $60 receipt.

[quote name='CSKit']I really don't understand how you can assume $60 is too much without having even played the game...[/QUOTE]

The benefit of having a qualified opinion (so called) is not worth the price of admission.

Thanks for the info on Kmart. Will price match this at BBY. Pretty sweet to widen the profit margin as I've already sold this game...way too short.

At least those that bit on the pre-order deals are no worse off than those that pick it up at Kmart. (Assuming no pre-existing credit/coupons at any stores)

Kmart: $35

Amazon: $55 + $20 credit ~ $35
(just don't double count that credit when ordering the next thing from Amazon -- i.e. the next item costs full price to you)

Granted, if you don't buy a "next thing" from Amazon, the Kmart offer is better...but this is CAG--All Amazon credit is just as good as money, sooner or later.

i'm pretty happy and not surprised that the price on Portal2 is falling fast. I think I'll wait a couple more months until the PS3 used versions start piling up and hit $20-25

[quote name='JanusZeal2']At least those that bit on the pre-order deals are no worse off than those that pick it up at Kmart. (Assuming no pre-existing credit/coupons at any stores)
Kmart: $35
Amazon: $55 + $20 credit ~ $35
(just don't double count that credit when ordering the next thing from Amazon -- i.e. the next item costs full price to you)
Granted, if you don't buy a "next thing" from Amazon, the Kmart offer is better...but this is CAG--All Amazon credit is just as good as money, sooner or later.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have credit at a specific place, gas/driving distance to the store is substantial, tax and/or shipping is high or the XBL/PSN offer is in effect pm'ing kmart generally works out better. Here's 3 recent examples,
Crysis 2, MK & Portal 2 all 3 came with a $10 giftcards & $10 pre-order bonuses.

Crysis 2 has been $40 @ Kmart for the last 2 weeks so the end result for me was $40 + $10 giftcard + $10 pre-order bonus.($20)

Portal 2 end result will be $35 + $10 giftcard + $10 pre-order bonus.($15)

MK was $40 @ TRU($50 on sale + $10 off coupon) using the receipt the end result $40 + $10 giftcard + $10 pre-order bonus.($20)

You may have to put out $60 upfront but the overall savings is definitely worth it plus you have the game on day 1. There are times when you won't have to put out the $60 & get the game deep discounted on day 1 too. MVC3 was $45 + $10 pre-order bonus w/pm of TRU $15 giftcard offer. Not to mention the fact that the credit is can be at 2 different stores when needed.

Choffy, do you happen to know if the deal is going to be in the circular/advert, or is it going to be an un-advertised deal?

[edit] and thanks for the heads up!

Kmart, get on making Portal 2 for PS3 $20. Then fix PSN so I can get my Steam copy. Otherwise, I think I'm waiting on Valve to Valve-ue price this game at $2 and a stick of gum like they usually do on every game they release on Steam.

Come on, Valve. You know you want to lowball it. Think of all the DLC you might (re: haha, no wai) sell me...

What if I bought it from Gamestop 2 days ago? I loved the game but I literally beat in 2 days and being able to get 20$ back would make that sting a whole lot less.

Anyone know if I purchased this new from Gamestop less than a week ago if they will give me a credit or anything?

I guess I will go check tomorrow if the PC version is on sale as well. Buying it for a friend (on PC) as a gift so any money saved is good for me.

I have been checking the GS site, and so far I have not seen this deal, do we have any updated info on this?

just called my local gamestop, they said they price match themselves within 7 days

so I'll go buy a copy and return it right then with my receipt from buying it day 1 and get $20 back

Joystiq put up a post about the deal, and someone uploaded a pic of the price from the ad. Sale begins on 4/30 (Saturday) according to that image, not tomorrow.

I'll try price matching it whenever the deal goes on sale hopefully they do I know I should have waited. This will be the last time I buy a game a week after release. If I don't pre order with Amazon for there bonuses I'll wait till the 40$ drop. Thanks again OP

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Joystiq put up a post about the deal, and someone uploaded a pic of the price from the ad. Sale begins on 4/30 (Saturday) according to that image, not tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Oops. You're totally right. I think the ad takes effect on the 29th, and the deal on the 30th (unless I'm wrong there too).

I guess the mods should probably change the thread title.

$30 for a PC copy. Not bad.

Now if only Steam would match this sale.

Hopefully by Monday the PSN is back up so I can get Portal 2 for a friend on monday and we can co-op.

[quote name='jbug617']it doesn't make sense to buy a game day 1 anymore. Within a couple of weeks it drops to $40.[/QUOTE]

I never do anymore. Games drop so fast anymore. I agree.

Strange that this deal begins on Saturday rather than Friday, but maybe it's tied into the Miniumum Advertised Price restrictions that Josh talks about on the Kmart thread.

Also, looks like used copies in store actually increased yesterday from $47.99 to $54.99. Hopefully they are also on sale, probably at $34.99. Include powerup and one of those $10 reward coupons, and I'm out the door for about $22. Cannot beat that! Hopefully this isn't one of those occasional lame deals where the new price is lower than the used price.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I never do anymore. Games drop so fast anymore. I agree.[/QUOTE]
Only when there's some deal like Amazon's credits :p

ive never priced matched at best buy before but i have $60 in giftcards there so would be useful. Would i need the gamestop physical ad? Would the pdf ad from the website work? Kmart has to be within a certain distance for it to be price matched right? One best buy has no kmart for about 20 miles but the other best buy the kmart is prob 5 miles away. Anyway if anyone could fill me in on how this works thanks.

[quote name='anthonyd46']ive never priced matched at best buy before but i have $60 in giftcards there so would be useful. Would i need the gamestop physical ad? Would the pdf ad from the website work? Kmart has to be within a certain distance for it to be price matched right? One best buy has no kmart for about 20 miles but the other best buy the kmart is prob 5 miles away. Anyway if anyone could fill me in on how this works thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes price matches are a hassle at BB, sometimes not. I'd hold onto those BB gift cards until a game comes out that is either on sale or has a coupon with it found in the Gamer mag.

When Portal drops to $39.99 is the 25% trade bonus on any games traded toward a new copy of LA Noire, Mortal Kombat or Portal 2 still applicable?

It says it cannot be combined with any other offer, but since they made the deal last from 04/18/11 - 05/08/11 and decided to drop the game to $39.99, I don't see why they shouldn't accept it.

[quote name='wargod']When Portal drops to $39.99 is the 25% trade bonus on any games traded toward a new copy of LA Noire, Mortal Kombat or Portal 2 still applicable?

It says it cannot be combined with any other offer, but since they made the deal last from 04/18/11 - 05/08/11 and decided to drop the game to $39.99, I don't see why they shouldn't accept it.[/QUOTE]

Typically when they say cannot be combined with any offer, they mean combined with another trade in offer. I don't see why a price drop should affect the trade-in deal.

[quote name='LATTEH']does anyone know if bestbuy price match's for this? i have a 10 dollar card for there.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but don't pm this $40 offer kmart will have it for $35 next week.

bread's done
Back