Preorder Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, get 8-bit Simon Belmont figure!

Want. Even though I didn't really play the 8-bit Castlevanias (well, I have CV Chronicles), I'm too big of a series fan to not get this. And it's not like I was going to wait for the price to drop on this game or something stupid like that.

Hell, I'm wanting to pick up a slim PSP before this comes out just so I can full enjoy SOTN and Chi no Rondo (Japanese titles make you cooler) on a TV with a decent sound system.

[quote name='Vinny']Dammit... I was planning on waiting but now I kinda want this. Yeah it looks like crap at angles but from the side it looks pretty damn close to 8bit Simon.[/quote]

It does look kind of cool from the side, if you squint really hard. :whistle2:x

[quote name='Chacrana']

Hell, I'm wanting to pick up a slim PSP before this comes out just so I can full enjoy SOTN and Chi no Rondo (Japanese titles make you cooler) on a TV with a decent sound system.[/QUOTE]

me too.

I really wonder how the hell did they manage to pull off the remake, the original AND SOTN all on one disc?

Compression can only go...

[quote name='ITDEFX']me too.

I really wonder how the hell did they manage to pull off the remake, the original AND SOTN all on one disc?

Compression can only go...[/QUOTE]

Well, a PSP disc has like... 1.5gb of space, and considering that SOTN didn't take up the full PS1 disc (IIRC), there should be more than enough room to fit the remake and the original Rondo. I'm not worried.

[quote name='reibeatall']They make about the same as everybody on games. Like 3 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I doubt this is true. Otherwise how does FamilyVideo consistently knock $5 to $10 off every one of their game prices?

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm with you there, but I learned my lesson last time. For handheld gaming goodness, the DS blows the PSP out of the water, stuffs it in a blender, and serves it in crunchy goodness to octopi. Yes, exactly.[/quote]But the 3D-ish remakes from Capcom and now Konami are reason enough to own the system I think.

Capcom needs to get on the ball and release more Mega Man Powered Up games.

I'm tempted to preorder this and PW:T&T, but I'm gonna have some Best Buy credit / Christmas presents to burn by the time these hit. hmmm....

I just reserved to get the phoenix wright plushie. and money is going to be tight this holiday season so I guess i'm going to hold off on that.

So is this preorder only online, instore or both?

Also, is this something that has been officially announced? The pic looks like a leaked flyer. I'm just wondering if I preorder before this is made official, will i get it?

this is also available at gamecrazy for all the gamestop haters out there. Plus you get a free rental coupon at hollywood video :lol:

[quote name='daroga']But the 3D-ish remakes from Capcom and now Konami are reason enough to own the system I think.
[/QUOTE]Which, so far, consist of Mega Man, Mega Man X, and Dracula X. Getting the system and all of them would be about $300. You think they're worth $100 each?

I really enjoyed Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X, but my PSP is just an MP3 player at this point.

[quote name='mkelehan']I'm going to wait until it's 100% certain this isn't coming to PS2 or XBLA.[/quote]

It DEFINATELY wont be coming to XBLA or ps3 virtual system as they already have sotn available for dl. The ps2 is 99% wont happen as castlevania games has not really been ported over to different consoles other than the mass release of sotn for digital dl. It will stay psp esclusive (and Im glad it will).

The figure looks like crap!!! COME ON!!!! Did all of you check that extra link in the OP's quote???

I thought this was going to be one of those cool deluxe Belmonts of the new set that's supposed to be coming soon...

Personally, I'll wait to buy this game 1/2 off. The PoR preorder bonus was indeed better.

[quote name='mkelehan']Which, so far, consist of Mega Man, Mega Man X, and Dracula X. Getting the system and all of them would be about $300. You think they're worth $100 each?

I really enjoyed Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X, but my PSP is just an MP3 player at this point.[/quote] $240, but who's counting?

Yeah, I think it's worth the price, espeiclaly if you unlock it to enable all the fun homebrew stuff.

The figure is kind of cool. Not the greatest bonus item ever, but it is free. They do not have to give you anything so be thankful when a company like Konami goes the extra mile to give you bonus items.

Anyways, the figures go for about $12 now- and that is with the very limited quantity given away only at comic con. These will not ever be worth anything. No more than $10, probably closer to $5 over time.

Pajama_Man's link really does make it look like ass. This means that when i get it, it can't be in a place where anyone can look at it close up.

[quote name='ITDEFX']me too.

Compression can only go...[/quote]

Well the XBLA version of SotN is about 92 megs. So there's a good chunk for X to reside... hopefully with an in game soundtrack, pics, other useful info (like CV's history [for those who do not have the PoR pack]) that are unlockable. But we'l find out when it ships, I guess.

Oh yeah, just remembered... Great cutscenes hopefully added as well, since I hated the Dialogue after defeating Dracula in the "Bloodlines" part in the beginning of SotN.

The figure is truly hideous. Cool idea...bad execution. It actually would have been better if it was like those pixel art things some others mentioned. Still, it's a freebie.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']The figure looks like ass yet it sells for $20 on fleaBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASTLEVANIA-SIM...goryZ348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That means your game is $10 if you're willing to part with the toy.[/QUOTE]

But the price should go down on Ebay, if alot of people will flood there freebie Simon Belmont Toy, the Law of Supply and Demand at work. Still, like others are saying no matter how hideous it is, it's still free.

[quote name='NolbertoS']But the price should go down on Ebay, if alot of people will flood there freebie Simon Belmont Toy, the Law of Supply and Demand at work. Still, like others are saying no matter how hideous it is, it's still free.[/quote]

Very correct if there is an inexhaustible supply. However, only 1000 were made.

[quote name='mkelehan']I'm going to wait until it's 100% certain this isn't coming to PS2 or XBLA.[/QUOTE]

oh yea.. like what they did with LC Stories...

The $20 that one got is the highest in completed items. Average ending price is about $12.

Also, there were 1000 for comic con. The overall supply is obviously going to be higher than 1000.

But the 3D-ish remakes from Capcom and now Konami are reason enough to own the system I think.

yeah those and FFtactics PSP, the God of War game coming in march, anything else essential that im missing?

[quote name='0192837465']yeah those and FFtactics PSP, the God of War game coming in march, anything else essential that im missing?[/quote]

The Syphon Filter series?
The Metal Gear Portable Ops games?
The Wipeout Series?
Ratchet and Clank?
Daxter?
DJ Portable Max series?

Dude don't even play like you ain't heard of these games before.

The Syphon Filter series?
The Metal Gear Portable Ops games?
The Wipeout Series?
Ratchet and Clank?
Daxter?
DJ Portable Max series?

Dude don't even play like you ain't heard of these games before.

good games maybe but not essential, nothing that makes me want to go out and buy a psp for

i have one of the 3D figures a buddy got me from comic con.

they're really not that great, and the paint job is pretty sloppy.

ill try to take some pics.

I really wish we got the Konamistyle edition that Japan is getting for this game... this lil' trinket isn't even worth preordering just to have...

But the game is great.... :)

I hope the next CV title(who knows whatever it is)... I hope it gets the LE or Collector's Edition treatment...

This is kind of cool. I assume I'm set since I preordered months ago. I hope it looks better than that figure in the one post though. Maybe from the side it looks more like the "real thing".

I didn't realize that this will include the original game too. I knew about Symphony of the Night of course, but that's awesome it includes three games.

The Playstation Portable's discs can hold 1.9GB, which is roughly equivalent to 3 CDs. The original two games were on one CD each, and of course the PSP can use better compression for art assets than the original systems could, so all three games should pretty easily fit on one disc with no sacrifices.

Regarding those downloads, remember that the 360 version of Symphony of the Night is the worst of the three versions. Lower quality audio, and that d-pad isn't so hot.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm with you there, but I learned my lesson last time. For handheld gaming goodness, the DS blows the PSP out of the water, stuffs it in a blender, and serves it in crunchy goodness to octopi. Yes, exactly.[/QUOTE]

Only in your opinion. I used to like them equally, but I now own a lot more Playstation Portable games than DS games. And my favorite DS games could all have been done better on the Playstation. I would definitely pick the PSP if I had to pick one or the other at this point. I'm not even aware of any future DS games I want.

[quote name='kosmos13x']It DEFINATELY wont be coming to XBLA or ps3 virtual system as they already have sotn available for dl. The ps2 is 99% wont happen as castlevania games has not really been ported over to different consoles other than the mass release of sotn for digital dl. It will stay psp esclusive (and Im glad it will).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Regarding those downloads, remember that the 360 version of Symphony of the Night is the worst of the three versions. Lower quality audio, and that d-pad isn't so hot.
[/QUOTE]
That's debatable. The 360 version is the only one with no load times. I seriously doubt the PSP game will be free of those. The audio still sounds quite good, and you don't have to use a regular 360 pad to play. The Hori controller's d-pad is excellent. Plus HD borders, anti-aliasing, and Achievements... So I like it more than the PS1 original. Still getting the PSP game of course.

What loading times though? I sure never noticed anything in the original game that affected anything.

They're not horrible load times, but they exist. That's what the CD rooms are for. If you honestly don't notice them, I have to question your ability to judge the game. I assume you're just downplaying them though.

heck I can't wait for the soundtrack to this game to come out. I know it's already out for years, but these remixes sound awesome.

[quote name='eastx']They're not horrible load times, but they exist. That's what the CD rooms are for. If you honestly don't notice them, I have to question your ability to judge the game. I assume you're just downplaying them though.[/QUOTE]

Those CD rooms really start to add up when you need to / fuck up and have to backtrack. It can get pretty annoying on the original. I don't know if the PSN version has them or not.

[quote name='vicious7171']I wish the figure were made of squares instead of semi-squares with rounded corners. Solid colored squares.[/quote]
I agree. As it is, it looks like crap unless you're looking at it from the side and squinting a little. Solid squares would have made it more faithful to the 8-bit sprite. Still, I'll probably preorder next time I'm at Gamestop.

Remember that we are talking about SIMON BELMONT here, so anything less than utterly jaw-dropping is a disappointment.

[quote name='opportunity777']Those CD rooms really start to add up when you need to / fuck up and have to backtrack. It can get pretty annoying on the original. I don't know if the PSN version has them or not.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the PSN version does. They're in the XBLA version and that's less of a direct port than the PSN version is. I actually didn't realize they were CD rooms the first time I played through the game (over 10 years ago!!! I'm so old.) but at this point, I'd probably miss them if they were gone.

Never again will I preorder from Gamestop.
They suckered me into the last Castlevania bonus, and then, when I got the game on day one, told me they never were shipped any from corporate.

Oh, and that Simon Belmont figure is GARBAGE!

[quote name='phoenicks']Never again will I preorder from Gamestop.
They suckered me into the last Castlevania bonus, and then, when I got the game on day one, told me they never were shipped any from corporate.

Oh, and that Simon Belmont figure is GARBAGE![/QUOTE]

If they do that, just cancel your preorder then and there.

I preordered today. I'm a sucker for preorder stuff, no matter how crappy. The $29.99 pricetag is pretty amazing too considering the amount of content in the games.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm sure the PSN version does. They're in the XBLA version and that's less of a direct port than the PSN version is. I actually didn't realize they were CD rooms the first time I played through the game (over 10 years ago!!! I'm so old.) but at this point, I'd probably miss them if they were gone.[/QUOTE]

The question is whether or not the game has load times when you enter the CD rooms. In the 360 version it does not, so you can travel through the castle more quickly. I assume the PSN game wouldn't either, but dunno. PSP game? Of course it will have load times, it's the PSP.

What "CD Rooms"? Like I said, I never experienced anything remotely approaching any real load time, let alone something that would detract from the game (whereas the music is one of the big draws of the game). The Playstation Portable has a faster drive, so...

So, this game comes with 3 CV games? Am I hearing it right that the original is in there as well? IMO this game is well worth $30, but since SotN is available on the PSN some people may hold off on it.

Crap or not, that statue will look good on my desk at work. Now to see about getting the other Belmont statue from PlayAsia ....

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']So, this game comes with 3 CV games? Am I hearing it right that the original is in there as well? IMO this game is well worth $30, but since SotN is available on the PSN some people may hold off on it.

Crap or not, that statue will look good on my desk at work. Now to see about getting the other Belmont statue from PlayAsia ....[/QUOTE]

Not the original NES Castlevania (which might be easy to assume since they're giving you a figure from it) but the original PC Engine Dracula X. And I'm assuming they're going to record english voice overs for the cut scenes, but I haven't read that anywhere yet.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Not the original NES Castlevania (which might be easy to assume since they're giving you a figure from it) but the original PC Engine Dracula X. And I'm assuming they're going to record english voice overs for the cut scenes, but I haven't read that anywhere yet.

MjC[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification, I did a little searching and figured that's what was meant (though it would be nice to see a compilation of the original CVs). I very well may PO this anyway since I never played Rondo and enjoyed SotN the three times I played it.

I would assume that you can play as Richtor (sp?) in this version of SotN as well, right?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Regarding those downloads, remember that the 360 version of Symphony of the Night is the worst of the three versions. Lower quality audio, and that d-pad isn't so hot.[/QUOTE]

Why use the D-Pad? I just played all the way through it and I used the analog stick the whole time. It was very easy to use; I had no problems at all.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What "CD Rooms"? Like I said, I never experienced anything remotely approaching any real load time, let alone something that would detract from the game (whereas the music is one of the big draws of the game). The Playstation Portable has a faster drive, so...[/QUOTE]

From what you're saying, it's not clear if you've played the game. The CD Rooms would be the rooms that say "CD" on the ceiling and in which the system pauses to load a new area. Honestly, either you're being rather dense, or you just don't remember the game very well. If you don't think load times detract from the experience, that's fine. Other people may dislike load times though, and they will appreciate the lack of them in the 360 game.

Also, the PSP just has famously bad loading (due to a slow drive and not enough RAM), so we'll see if it's improved over the original in that aspect or not. Yeah, the UMD drive is faster than a 2X CD drive, but often not fast enough (combined with the scant RAM) to meet the system's needs.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I would assume that you can play as Richtor (sp?) in this version of SotN as well, right?[/quote]

I'd be more interested in knowing if they went so far as to include playable Maria (exclusive from the Sega Saturn version in Japan).

There's no load times when entering the cd rooms in the playstation version so why would there be any in the psp port?

bread's done
Back