Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Soo...since WWE realize India was a failed endeavor, are they now trying to win the Japanese market?

And did, did Sasha finally turn heel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soo...since WWE realize India was a failed endeavor, are they now trying to win the Japanese market?

And did, did Sasha finally turn heel?
Doubtful as they already do pretty good there. Just worked out that way as Raw you have Braun/Bork and nobody in the rumble really fit into that story outside of pushing Roman for the 100th time. It had to be a Smackdown guy, so realistically that meant either Shinsuke or Randy were going to get it and giving it to Randy again would've been a terrible idea. Actually, I'm surprised they didn't do it since it would've been a bad idea.

On the women's side if anyone BUT Asuka won, it'd hurt Asuka so they had to do it. Probably why they had Rhonda come out after the match. I mean, they wanted to screw up the women's rumble somehow, but not all the way. Luckily they didn't try to do the Elsworth crap again.

Regardless, I'm happy with the Rumble results, but what the fuck with putting the men's Rumble in the third slot? With that result, the fans would've left more than happy and the Raw tag match the audience was so dead because it had to follow up to that. Then again I totally just see WWE having to roll out the red carpet for Ronda just for that sweet media buzz eventhough I agree it makes their whole main roster just feel like they're beneath her now because of it.

I was satisfied that an actual current roster member won the rumble match and they saved the hype for after. Yes it's a talking point, but I don't think it diminishes things much. I was very surprised the lack of NXT women, was expecting Billie/Peyton/Nikki.

Good choice of cooldown match with the way Raw tag went. A gimmicky finish that leans on story is fine for an exhausted crowd.

Just saw a bit that she was wearing Piper's actual jacket, his son brought it for her apparently. That's pretty cool, at least

I know this is how it feels every time they lose a leader, but I don't feel like the Bullet Club has the momentum to stay as relevant without Kenny. I love Cody, but I just don't think he's "there". Maybe that's just me though

But damn, those last two matches at Takeover last night. Hoooly hell. Did not expect Gargano/Almas to be match of the night, but here we are.
The Bullet Club IMO has been stale long before Kenny became the leader. It was getting stale back when AJ was leading the group. I think Cody is a good choice to be the leader now though and inevitably be the beginning of the end for the stable. I'd like to see an angle play out where Cody's ego eventually causes the group to splinter and eventually disband.

And can't deny this past weekend was a great time for wrestling where I legit illicit actual emotions. Me rooting for Johnny Gargano to win the NXT title and the weird dismay of seeing Kenny out of the Bullet Club before the joy of FINALLY having the Golden Lovers back together. You guys, wrestling is fucking awesome.

Wanted to post back in here to say I really really hope you guys start paying attention to CHIKARA (again?). Sooner than later is great, but definitely later this year.

;)
I saw that Beyond Wrestling was running out of Wrestlefactory on Saturday before Takeover, but the transit situation wasn’t ideal in relation to where I was staying.

Still training? How’s it going if so?

How was the crowd when Ciampa showed up? It legit sounded like the audience was too exhausted from the match to even start a "fuck you, Ciampa" chant.
Not sure how it came off on TV, but there was a sizeable A-hole chant in the arena after everyone initially freaked out.

I know this is an absurd fantasy, but if they insist of weirdly separating their CW roster, I think it'd be great if they went all the way with it and sort of combined NXT/205 Live into a single 3rd brand. Add in the UK division, too. Make it a 2-hour live show and run smaller, sort of mid-sized venues with a different format.

It's hard maintaining interest in NXT being pre-recorded, and 205 Live's current format is just awful. It's always just a tired, dead crowd waiting for the advertised dark main event. 

Also bring Neville back and give him all of the titles.

edit: so they have Tyler Bate competing in the title tournament, and Roderick Strong next week... so they're kinda doing this, just the absolute worst version of it. And the matches will still be boring. Oh well.

I know this is an absurd fantasy, but if they insist of weirdly separating their CW roster, I think it'd be great if they went all the way with it and sort of combined NXT/205 Live into a single 3rd brand. Add in the UK division, too. Make it a 2-hour live show and run smaller, sort of mid-sized venues with a different format.

It's hard maintaining interest in NXT being pre-recorded, and 205 Live's current format is just awful. It's always just a tired, dead crowd waiting for the advertised dark main event.

Also bring Neville back and give him all of the titles.

edit: so they have Tyler Bate competing in the title tournament, and Roderick Strong next week... so they're kinda doing this, just the absolute worst version of it. And the matches will still be boring. Oh well.
I Agree with what you're saying for the most part, but I don't know why you're so critical on NXT. I Think even pre recorded it doesn't take anything away from the show and there's still at least one solid match each episode. That and I enjoy seeing guys figure out their gimmicks like Street Profits and Heavy Machinery. Plus the buzz from people who were at that Takeover to see that Roddy and Bates match said it was very good.

I Agree with what you're saying for the most part, but I don't know why you're so critical on NXT. I Think even pre recorded it doesn't take anything away from the show and there's still at least one solid match each episode. That and I enjoy seeing guys figure out their gimmicks like Street Profits and Heavy Machinery. Plus the buzz from people who were at that Takeover to see that Roddy and Bates match said it was very good.
Sorry for not being clear, what I meant was 205 live's matches were boring - NXT is very entertaining. I still think it being live would help it, though.

The match I'm talking about isn't the Roddy/Bates match. Roddy is facing Hideo on 205 Live next week in the CW tournament. Bates faced TJP on 205 Live tonight in the same tournament. It wasn't great, and I have a hard time believing that without constraints those 2 wouldn't have a great match, ya know? Most of the 205 Live matches are just dumbed down WWE-ized CW-lite matches it feels like. It doesn't make sense.

Sorry for not being clear, what I meant was 205 live's matches were boring - NXT is very entertaining. I still think it being live would help it, though.

The match I'm talking about isn't the Roddy/Bates match. Roddy is facing Hideo on 205 Live next week in the CW tournament. Bates faced TJP on 205 Live tonight in the same tournament. It wasn't great, and I have a hard time believing that without constraints those 2 wouldn't have a great match, ya know? Most of the 205 Live matches are just dumbed down WWE-ized CW-lite matches it feels like. It doesn't make sense.
Ah, that makes sense. I Only watch 205 here and there and I was confused as to the whole NXT talk mixed in it.

I saw that Beyond Wrestling was running out of Wrestlefactory on Saturday before Takeover, but the transit situation wasn’t ideal in relation to where I was staying.

Still training? How’s it going if so?
(May)be I am. ;)

Absolutely the WF is not the easiest to get to if you're taking public transit. A combo of trains and buses works, and the parking situation is strange. But we love it and it's the perfect size for a small indy to run a show. At least you're not fighting for south philly parking (woof), and it is free to park. Message me if you come up sometime!

The Beyond crew were incredible. The idea of a Secret show (and one that sells out) is hard to pull off, but when you have a card where the *opener* is Jonathan Gresham vs Mike Quackenbush, you know it's gonna be good. If you really dig indy wrestling, I'd hunt down this card specifically for EYFBO vs Tracy Williams and Wheeler Yuta. It's a sleeper match that really exceeded my expectations (and I have high opinions of all four of those guys). Orange Cassidy vs Swoggle was delightfully stupid, too. The main event was David Starr vs Matt Riddle, and boy did it deliver.

We have some crossover shows with them later this year, and I'm not entirely sure what all that entails - but I'm definitely excited at the prospect of collaborating with them more.

I missed most of the show this weekend (and I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY kicking myself for skipping Takeover for reasons I can't get into here), but I did go to Smackdown last night. A lot of fun overall to attend. It seems that Bullet Club (and derivative) shirts are a really easy way to identify the awful wrestling fans in the crowd these days. I did pop for like a 10 year old dude wearing an LIJ shirt though.

How was SD audience-wise? From TV it felt like the crowd was just tired from the long weekend or something. The biggest pop from the various tapings seemed to be Braun and Alexa's... thing, which was interesting. That could always be editing, though.

Also, I'm so excited for Roddy vs Dunne, y'all. I hope that match goes down soon and they do more with the UK title going forward.

Maybe tired? Maybe smaller? Tough to say since I missed the previous 3 shows at Wells Fargo.

It was a lot of families, so perhaps the fans who'd traveled to Philly had already left (acknowledging 4 straight nights of shows in the same building is impossible to take in)? I agree that it was a lukewarm crowd.

Maybe we're all just resting until we burn the city to the ground on Sunday as the result of (but not contingent upon the outcome of) the Super Bowl.

Trips is going for TNA's throat, signing away Rockstar Spud and Jeremy Borash.
They signed Spud awhile ago and I assume the plan all along was to debut him as the GM of 205 Live.

Borash is a huge loss for Impact, but I do not see this as a bad thing. TNA is gone and Impact Wrestling is a different company now and I think it is good that they are signing new talent and changing things up they have been putting out a great product lately and I hope to see them continue to do well.

I Realized something this week, I-I think I want to walk with Elias??

He went from guy I thought "called up too early" to someone I actually enjoy watching.

He went from guy I thought "called up too early" to someone I actually enjoy watching.
I was part of the crowd doing "drift away" chants at Full Sail, he had legitimate go-away heat, which he managed to channel and turn into a great character.

Hideo vs Roddy was GREAT tonight, pleasantly surprised. It's unfortunate the crowd was not really as into as they should have been for aforementioned reasons. But man, what a great match. First match was damn good, too. I hope 205 Live can keep this up and somehow get enough eyes to be put somewhere or booked more prominently.

Oh yeah, the fact that he won in a match against Cena and Braun blew my mind and I love it. He's super entertaining. Just a few months back he was in a feud with Finn and I thought "man this sucks for Finn" now he seems to be on Finn's level or even above in terms of card placement (which still sucks for Finn). I dig it.

Hideo vs Roddy was GREAT tonight, pleasantly surprised. It's unfortunate the crowd was not really as into as they should have been for aforementioned reasons. But man, what a great match. First match was damn good, too. I hope 205 Live can keep this up and somehow get enough eyes to be put somewhere or booked more prominently.

Oh yeah, the fact that he won in a match against Cena and Braun blew my mind and I love it. He's super entertaining. Just a few months back he was in a feud with Finn and I thought "man this sucks for Finn" now he seems to be on Finn's level or even above in terms of card placement (which still sucks for Finn). I dig it.
I Heard since the firing of a certain "Certified G" that 205 Live has been top to bottom solid. So more reason for me to check it out on Hulu this week. So much goddamn wrestling. Also was thinking of taking a break from NJPW World for a month or two and try some DDT Pro. Anyone have any experience with the service they have?

Good news is ROH is streaming their show tonight for free. Bad news is the card is kinda garbage.

Have front row for NXT show tonight, undecided what shirt to wear. Was going to be Progress since Axel Dieter Jr/Marcel forget his last name worked the show last night as well as Aleister Black (whose shirt I have).
Dijak and Candace were also there. I really want Dijak vs Killian Dain after seeing Dijack/Keith Lee.

Good news is ROH is streaming their show tonight for free. Bad news is the card is kinda garbage.

Have front row for NXT show tonight, undecided what shirt to wear. Was going to be Progress since Axel Dieter Jr/Marcel forget his last name worked the show last night as well as Aleister Black (whose shirt I have).
Dijak and Candace were also there. I really want Dijak vs Killian Dain after seeing Dijack/Keith Lee.
Dijak vs. Dain would be a killer match. Really stoked to see Dijak debut on NXT TV.

Got there late due to reasons. Saw Dain/Babatumbe, Shayna/Rhea Ripley, main event of Heavy Machinery vs Undisputed Era. Cole ran out for the finish, place went nuts. Then as the beatdown, Gargano makes the save and challenges them to a 6man tag. Cole accepts, for tomorrow night in Orlando.

Got there late due to reasons. Saw Dain/Babatumbe, Shayna/Rhea Ripley, main event of Heavy Machinery vs Undisputed Era. Cole ran out for the finish, place went nuts. Then as the beatdown, Gargano makes the save and challenges them to a 6man tag. Cole accepts, for tomorrow night in Orlando.
But what shirt did you wear?

If it's not Rusev Day, he doesn't care:

HA3007B.jpg

If WWE put out a calendar like that, but the picture for each month was just a picture of Rusev's face close up with an expression and accessories to match the month, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

At first I was hesitant over NJPW wanting to bring more foreign talent after they saw the gains they got from Jericho mostly because I couldn't think of anyone else who would really be a big respectable draw, but Mysterio is a damn fine pick.

So what was with the Cena and Taker tease for Wrestlemania? Just to troll the fans? Can't imagine Taker coming back. A part of the fan in me wants it to happen but the other part says he's better off staying retired.

So what was with the Cena and Taker tease for Wrestlemania? Just to troll the fans? Can't imagine Taker coming back. A part of the fan in me wants it to happen but the other part says he's better off staying retired.
It's going to happen, they wouldn't have Cena tease it otherwise. I've been saying for awhile that Cena should officially end The Undertaker's career at Wrestlemania and finally turn heel. I think this is the last chance WWE has to really pull the trigger on a Cena heel turn. John Cena isn't as prominent on WWE TV anymore and if they are going to do it now is the best and maybe last chance they have.

👍👍👍On the chair

Well reports have come out that Cena is supposed to face off against Rey Mysterio Jr at Mania so we shall see.

Wow, it’s been a looooong time since I’ve looked/ posted in here.

On the chair

Well reports have come out that Cena is supposed to face off against Rey Mysterio Jr at Mania so we shall see.

Wow, it’s been a looooong time since I’ve looked/ posted in here.
I saw that too. I'd honestly rather see Cena vs. Undertaker even though a match with Mysterio would be better. I think a great story can be told with Cena vs. Taker and at this point, I don't see WWE coming up with a compelling reason for Mysterio to return and face off against Cena at Mania with about a months worth of time to build it.

I saw that too. I'd honestly rather see Cena vs. Undertaker even though a match with Mysterio would be better. I think a great story can be told with Cena vs. Taker and at this point, I don't see WWE coming up with a compelling reason for Mysterio to return and face off against Cena at Mania with about a months worth of time to build it.
I feel u on that cause it’s just one of those matches you always wanted to see Taker vs Cena.

I'd rather Alexa Bliss sit on my face than the other way around, but that's just me.
WOW!! Not mad at you but for me change that to Mandy Rose.

Holy shit, for New Japan's 3rd show in the US they're coming to my backyard, maybe 15 minutes away. Very excited to hopefully see Okada/Naito in person.

Kenny surprise at ROH 16th Anniversary was fun. I wonder if they will let Austin Aries have a match with Kenny King since I know he can’t keep up with the ROH schedule.

It's going to happen, they wouldn't have Cena tease it otherwise. I've been saying for awhile that Cena should officially end The Undertaker's career at Wrestlemania and finally turn heel. I think this is the last chance WWE has to really pull the trigger on a Cena heel turn. John Cena isn't as prominent on WWE TV anymore and if they are going to do it now is the best and maybe last chance they have.
Whelp you were right no way they back out of this now. John's always been great at cutting promos since he's really natural with the mic so I'm still a fan of him.

I also always enjoy watching Miz on Miz TV.

bread's done
Back