Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

I am not going to pretend to be a WWE fan these days, because I haven't watched a show since WrestleMania, and that was the first one I had watched in almost ten years. Why the supreme amount of hate for Roman Reigns though?

Looks like I'm taking a break from WWE unless they somehow change it like they did last year. I think everyone predicted as early as November that this would backfire on WWE. I think Jim Ross had it right on his podcast, Reigns needs more time in a midcard singles run before main eventing. Even he said that the fans would throw it back in WWE's face at the RR and sure enough, they did. I don't even think turning Lesnar face could save this.

Hopefully this main event for Wrestlemania is scrapped before March.

There's people joking on Twitter that WWE's budget must be low right now, as they could only afford one Dudley Boy.

I am not going to pretend to be a WWE fan these days, because I haven't watched a show since WrestleMania, and that was the first one I had watched in almost ten years. Why the supreme amount of hate for Roman Reigns though?
The guy is not ready. He has given nothing but horrible promos and clunky wrestling(with a ridicious finisher) since his singles run started. He's being shoved to the main event spot and down our throats because WWE doesn't want to take the time to have a guy earn the spot(just like Batista's push in 2005 backfired).

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of all the Shield members, he's the least ready for a top spot.

He's just not good enough. He has the look and he's related to The Rock, but he hasn't proven that he's ready for the main event of a PPV, let alone Wrestlemania.

As far as the former Shield guys are concerned, he's the least polished by a long shot. There are just so many people on the roster that are much more deserving.

B8PyxiUIgAAsre4.png

He's just not good enough. He has the look and he's related to The Rock, but he hasn't proven that he's ready for the main event of a PPV, let alone Wrestlemania.

As far as the former Shield guys are concerned, he's the least polished by a long shot. There are just so many people on the roster that are much more deserving.
Yeah definitely better guys to throw out there than Reigns. WWE has learned nothing over the years when they have a decent stable that protects the guy(s) they really like, scratch that the guy Vince has a hard on for, and then split them out too early or bring a guy up to fast from the split. It's a recurring theme. It doesn't help that Vince is still from all accounts the head of creative and ultimate decision maker. I'm not saying Trips could do much better but I believe he would be at least more willing to throw audibles out there where as Vince is still under the impression he makes the Champs and not the crowds.

Man if Brock and Heyman had come out during his celebration at the end that crowd would've just blown up. Daniel Bryan level pop I would bet.

Last year ended up working out thanks to being able to make Batista heel and add Bryan. What this year? Just let Reigns get shit on every week and pretend it's not happening? Let Reigns win the title at Mania and get shit on even harder?

Last year ended up working out thanks to being able to make Batista heel and add Bryan. What this year? Just let Reigns get shit on every week and pretend it's not happening? Let Reigns win the title at Mania and get shit on even harder?
I guess they could turn Rollins face by having him say he'll cash in at Wrestlemania and having Rollins win it all.

...This whole thing is a mess. I think it is time for Vince to retire.

Matt, I took their free month and decided I would pay until the Rumble to give them a chance. I gave it to them and now I'm taking my ball and going home. I will heed Punk's words about keeping the machine rolling, they just won't do it with my money.

People backstage are giving Rock all kinds of shit with this interview and Rock/Reigns seemed to be on different pages as Reigns thought this was the coming out party of being Rock's cousin by Rock ran around those comments saying WWE is his family.

And of course the Stone Cold interview w/HHH is the day after all of the cancelled subscriptions.

I'd rather take that $10 per month and spread it among different video game Patreon's out there that produce good content like Kinda Funny, Pat the NES Punk, Blondenerd.com, and Angry Joe.
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to change your mind; just questioning your previously stated reasons.

What is the deal with Patreon? Never heard of it until a couple weeks ago when Championship Wrestling From Hollywood put up their archives on there as part of the United Wrestling Network.

I guess they could turn Rollins face by having him say he'll cash in at Wrestlemania and having Rollins win it all.

...This whole thing is a mess. I think it is time for Vince to retire.
Sure, but then what's the whole point of having Reigns win tonight? Just to get booed vigorously for months and then not even winning?

Why not just have Bryan win tonight. Have him overcome the odds once again to beat Brock and win the title at Mania, and then have Rollins cash in and win the belt. All while letting Reigns continue to grow and develop, and maybe he'll be ready by next year.

But yeah, I agree with you. Vince obviously needs to go. He's too stubborn and doesn't understand that he can't control everything like he used to.

Man, that title match was ridiculously good. Man, that Rumble was ridiculously bad.

Plus tomorrow we probably get to hear Reigns cut a promo on how he was able to win the Royal Rumble...

At least we get another NXT special in two weeks with Zayn going against Owens to make up for this.

A lot of reports of the WWE Network cancellation page being completely unuseable. Page crashes continuously. Love it.
That plus:

SID @SychoVicious · 42m 42 minutes ago

Fans outside blocking talent's cars. They're legit pissed. #RoyalRumble

SID @SychoVicious · 29m 29 minutes ago

Reigns will leaving the arena late. With the ruckus, @WWE wants him safe. #RoyalRumble

SID @SychoVicious · 15m 15 minutes ago

I'm not going out there yet! #RoyalRumble

Honestly, the fallout of this might just make it worthwhile. (assuming no actual violence) If reddit users sent a fruit bouquet to HHH for NXT R-Evolution what will they send Vince after this?

Honestly, the fallout of this might just make it worthwhile. (assuming no actual violence) If reddit users sent a fruit bouquet to HHH for NXT R-Evolution what will they send Vince after this?
It will be real interesting to see what they do with this. I fully expect Vince to plow on ahead with his plan but maybe something can be changed depending upon reactions outside of Philly. The real key will be for the following Raw/Smackdown tapings and the next PPV for Reigns to be shit on the crowd like they did on Batista last year.

Love the #RoyalRumbleIn5Words on twitter. Especially the one saying "Best Advertising for Impact Wrestling".

A $hit sandwich, because that's exactly what he gave us tonight.

What a mess.  I cancelled my subscription, I guess before the page went down for others.  Outside of the whole Bryan debacle, you have two has-beens throw over your other top babyfaces and make them look weak for the sake of clearing the ring? And Bray was booked so well in the first half of the Rumble but even he was tossed over like hot garbage by Attitude Era dinosaurs.  The freaking ROCK was getting booed at the end.  You sent a promising young prospect out to die, instead of letting him improve for another year- all this while you have the nuclear, hottest babyface since Eddie/Rock who could put on the most unique, incredible main event in American wrestling in a long time... but you make the same mistake twice in two years.  It's absolutely unbelievable.  Stay the course and have Reigns vs Lesnar in front of 70,000 people and watch your next "star" get booed in place of the monster you fed the Streak-  Lesnar/Goldberg will have NOTHING on this

Favorite part of tonight:
Me: Watch, now Reigns is gonna come out and they're gonna boo the shit out of him.
Gf: What? No way. It's ROMAN REIGNS.
-5 seconds later-
Me: HAAAAAAAAAA

I can't believe I finally got tickets to Wrestlemania, and this is the shitshow I'm in for. To sell or not to sell...

Favorite part of tonight:
Me: Watch, now Reigns is gonna come out and they're gonna boo the shit out of him.
Gf: What? No way. It's ROMAN REIGNS.
-5 seconds later-
Me: HAAAAAAAAAA

I can't believe I finally got tickets to Wrestlemania, and this is the shitshow I'm in for. To sell or not to sell...
You do realize there will be more than one match on the card, right?

Finish aside they couldn't even deliver a fun Rumble match.  It peaked at DDP.  Roman didn't even look strong, Kane and Big Show did.

Finish aside they couldn't even deliver a fun Rumble match. It peaked at DDP. Roman didn't even look strong, Kane and Big Show did.
If DDP and Orton hit one another with the diamond cutter/RKO at the same time, it would have made my year. How did that not happen?

Curtis Axel vs Roman Reigns for the number one contendership at Fast Lane would be better than just plowing on ahead... Raw should be interesting to say the least.

Cena lost so I'm happy ... only to speculate he will end Rusev's streak (although those of us who've watched NXT know who did that already). Sigh.

I'm glad the "This is Bullshit" chants started once Dean was eliminated since he was my pick to win. I found it funny how The Rock comes out and they boo a little less.

Yet Plan B
Also known as "Plan Boobs"  
20e701384628820.jpg
made the crowd finally calm down:

I also laughed when The Rock was backstage doing all of the talking while Roman was silent. Then when Reigns started to talk, the camera cuts away.  Speaking of cuts, did anyone catch when Roman got bloodied up there?

Overall I'm happy with the PPV. I read the newspaper during the Usos match (I'm over them and the Miz's) but I doubt it was terrible. The other matches were pretty good; it was nice to see the divas actually performing some teamwork in the ring. I think the majority of ring time for the Rumble match itself was mostly NXT guys so that was nice. Even though I was disappointed with the winner, I can't think of a bad Rumble match because they have so much replay value; I guess the "worst" for me would be 95 just because it was the shortest.

I highly doubt Brock loses the belt before WM so this Reigns-Lesnar match won't change. That disappoints me. Only way I think this could work is if Lesner goes face and Roman turns heel.

And I don't mean Reigns joining Heyman. I'd rather have Paul with Seth Rollins so it's not Paul doing all of the mic work (I don't want "Paul Heyman guy" to mean "guy who is stuck and even Paul Heyman can't help him"). Kind of like how C.M. Punk and Paul Heyman worked off each other.

One last thing: Where was Sting?

H comes out tomorrow to make fun of the fans, Reigns continues his incredibly undeserved march to be the new top guy, fans act like they are going to do something about it like cancel the network but only do so for a couple weeks (or don't at all - oh, by the way, NXT special coming up), WWE goes on unchallenged and next to nothing changes. They could put Daniel Bryan in the main event and make it a three way tomorrow if they wanted, but even if they did that, nothing would change. We'd be back in the same patterns again within a couple of months.

I do have to say I'm just about pissing myself laughing at the fact that they thought they could fool people into cheering by having Bryan eliminated early in an effort to make people forget about him by the end, and by having Rock come out to endorse Reigns...and the people still shit on it.

Yeah people were ready to boo Reigns from the get go, there was a video package played after the Outlaws/Mizdow match (I think) with people saying they were going to win the Rumble and the moment Reigns came on the booing was Cena Level +  The end of the match was deafening with people booing and the crowd was chanting for Bryan long after he was gone.

I wonder what reaction Reigns gets in other arenas, part of me is wondering if this was just a Philly crowd thing.

Bogeyman and Zack got a nice pop, Bubba Rey got a huge one.

Overall it was a decent show to be at, though I've not been to any WWE events for years.

The Rumble over all was a pretty good PPV. I loved the opening match with New Day vs. Kidd and Cesaro, the triple threat match was incredible, and the rest of the card wasn't terrible. The Rumble match itself had some great moments, namely Bubba Ray Dudley making his return (I hope he sticks around and has a good singles run as a heel in WWE as Bully Ray), DDP looked great as well, and Boogeyman was entertaining. Aside from the surprise entrants the rest of the Rumble was meh after Bryan was eliminated it just became a massive boo-fest and then the inevitable Reigns win took place and now I've completely lost interest in the Wrestlemania main event. It's not believable to me that Reigns can beat Brock Lesnar after the path of destruction Lesnar has been on since he returned to the WWE. 

On a side note I was also really disappointed that we didn't get any NXT entrants this year. I am so hyped on NXT and just got a ticket for the first live show outside of Florida in Columbus, OH in March. I'll keep my Network subscription only because I love NXT so much and I am really interested in seeing the Live Stone Cold Podcast with Triple H next Monday. 

And once again WWE favors "the look" over hard work, charisma, natural talent, and just about everything else that makes a good wrestler (sorry, sooperstar).

I mean Jesus christ, not to beat a dead horse with Punk but that guy never got a Wrestlemania main event and he busted his ass for years. Reigns is practically handed one on a silver platter after debuting in wrestling barely 4 years ago (and he's been in WWE for what 2 years now?).

Way to fucking build him up WWE, you've just killed any longevity in Reigns's career because fans will endlessly shit on him now. But hey, he's a prior champion, I mean he held the tag belt for a bit there.

For fucks sake, I just went and checked out the main events for wrestlemania to remind myself and you have to go all the way back to XI to find a worse main event (Lawrence Taylor v. bam bam bigelow). Other than that, they've all been legends who main evented. God, this fuck up is at least as bad as last year's, if not worse.

I'm more pissed that Goldust slapped the piss out of Stardust than anything.

That's fucked up. You don't beat up your brother unless it's down to 2 guys left.

I think Goldust and Stardust could have probably taken everyone else out of the ring last night, including Reigns. Maybe not Bray or Ambrose, but everyone else.

Hope their team doesn't break up now.

I just love that Vince's reaction to the whole thing is that they could not chose Daniel Bryan because it was going to the well once too many times. The guy had one tittle win and one Wrestlemania shot.....meanwhile people from his family have been playing the evil authority figure for how long? I do not even really like Daniel Bryan(he is crap on the mic and cant stop smiling like a goof)and think he is far from deserving to be the companies top guy but you could at least just say you dont see money in the guy or something. Claiming Daniel Bryan is going to the well one too many times...I mean again really we just had Cena vs Lesnar AGAIN.

Just makes me sad. This is the first time in my life that WWE has ever been so intolerable that I have started watching sporadically. I have watched loyally since the first episode of Raw and I cant even find entertainment downloading and fast forwarding their product anymore, its that bad.

Out of curiosity since I havnt been around, who all did you guys want to see headlining WM this year(both as Champ and challenger). Most years I have pretty strong feelings about both who I want to see and who I think is their wisest choice...this year I really just did not see obvious choices. I think I would have likely went Daniel/Lesnar to give Bryan his moment in the spot light and try to appease fans. Really put Bryan over then have him feud with Reins or Ambrose to drop the belt to the healthy young up and comer(Bryan while young has taken too many bumps already I dont have faith he can carry the company more then a few years). Really though unlike past years I am just not seeing obvious moves.

I'm more pissed that Goldust slapped the piss out of Stardust than anything.

That's fucked up. You don't beat up your brother unless it's down to 2 guys left.

I think Goldust and Stardust could have probably taken everyone else out of the ring last night, including Reigns. Maybe not Bray or Ambrose, but everyone else.

Hope their team doesn't break up now.
I have seen a few reports that say they are looking to move Goldust to back stage duties over the next few months. They are likely just putting the seeds in place to have them go out with a fued since Codie will have to go back to a solo act. Then again I guess they could always pair him with the Miz, the WWE loves making crappy Miz tag teams :wall:

You guys over analyze and bitch way too much to make wrestling fun.  It's wrestling.  The nWo wasn't the poison to the WWE.  The iWc is.  

Only glitch I had during the Rumble was when it rewound itself twice for a brief moment: Once during the diva match and another during the triple threat. Otherwise the PPV ran smoothly.

My original plan was to get the network for Rumble, Wrestlemania, and King of the Ring if it returned. On the other hand, NXT is so good and so are some of the original documentaries like Monday Night War. I'm wondering if I should just keep it for the added month to see what else I can find ( Watched KOTR 93 and started Tuesday in Texas).

Are there rumors that they are bringing back the King of the Ring? Or are you just saying if it did for some reason?

@mitch, it wasnt the internet booing the entire Royal Rumble match, it was the paying fans. While a lot of nonsense comes from us fans who like it so much that we talk about it online, this one seems to be more than just the die hards.

I don't know, man. I'm remarkably easy to please when it comes to WWE. Been a fan for nearly 25 years and watch every show. The Rumble is always a favorite event of mine.

The show last night was crap. The world title match was excellent and the tag title match was mediocre. Rest of the main card was painfully bad. Bryan's elimination was a big part of that, but the main event didn't get any better in the second half of the match.

You guys over analyze and bitch way too much to make wrestling fun. It's wrestling. The nWo wasn't the poison to the WWE. The iWc is.
Meh there are plenty of things I try to just enjoy for what they are and move on. Most video games are great examples. Diablo 3 was an immense disappointment but it is what it is. I took the enjoyment I could from it, voiced my view and moved on. I feel wrestling is different for a lot of reasons. The biggest reason being its one of the few products that has been with me and many many others since childhood. I mean really most of us had the WWE before we had pubes. It may not be as important to me as my wife or dogs or health or anything, but its also should not be surprising that something that has been with me for 25+ years has SOME emotion tied to it.

bread's done
Back