Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

I just don't get these decisions. I mean I know I shouldn't question it, but in what logical world would Roman win that match? He took like 6-7 chair shots, two Styles Clashes, one on a chair...and then had enough mental and physical power to catch a dude in mid air with a spear to win it. Sooooo...what, WWE? Styles is just complete dog shit? I mean I guess he can't hit very hard with a chair, that's why he slammed each one of the Usos four times before they finally went down.
In a segment that was supposed to make it seem like Styles snapped, all it did was make it seem like he's complete shit and can't put an opponent away after two finishers and a dozen shots with a chair.
I think they were going for how tough Samoans are to keep down. The Usos got their butts kicked in the opener, were helped out, but there they were at the end helping Reigns. But it came across as an over the top supercena-esque finish.

I was super impressed by the match, TBH. Reigns is constantly adding to his arsenal of moves, and the back-and-forth was great. I guess I'm judging it like this: we all are pretty sure that Reigns was gonna leave with the championship, so were they able to successfully cast doubt on that during the match? IMO, that was a resounding *yes*.

The inclusion of Gun/Gallows and Usos was slapdash and really lazy, IMO, but in general the match was great - Reigns continues to impress (while I also get that he's unpopular).

The IC title watch was hot fire, and both the tease of (and ultimate use of) tacks in the Ambrose/Y2J match created an atmosphere of great tension. Also, consider how there were able to rope us in with "no it isn't...but they won't use...rated PG...no blood...OH MY GOD." 

Rusev/Kalisto was a really amazing big man/little dude match. The finish was great and made Rusev look like a beast. Also, Rusev has thinned out pretty substantially, and looks *amazing* (not that he wasn't before).

New Day/Vaudevillains wasn't great, IMO. Big E concerns me with the frequency with which he uses the tackle to the outside in their matches. The tag division has so much talent, but I'm unsure where they go next. New Day don't need the belts, and nearly everyone else does.

I really, really liked the PPV on the whole. There's a bit of the "serenity prayer" when it comes to WWE booking, and I think once you accept that WWE is going to go a certain direction whether you like it or not (and more often than not, that direction is guided by "what can we do to attract and grow an audience that's new to us?" instead of "what do homogenous adult, mostly white males whose spending habits with us never change and who never seemingly appear to be happy no matter what want?"), then it's easier to just enjoy the matches stress free.

I enjoyed the PPV overall. Solid show from top to bottom, IC Title match stole the show and was easily MOTN. I also think Roman Reigns proved that tonight he can indeed wrestle, he looked great against AJ tonight and I am fine with the finish because we all knew AJ wasn't going to win this match. It's also great to see Seth back. 

Can we give Roman props for selling that Pedigree like he was just murdered in the middle of the ring? That was one of the best sells of a finisher I've seen in ages.

I enjoyed the PPV but really feel that cage match was way to long. At times it felt like they were struggling for what to do next in there. 

Also, Rusev was awesome in the preshow media lounge bit. Really showed off some personality and charisma that he doesn't get to do on tv much. Even Lana had a dinger or 2 in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
We knew what would happen in the main event, I'm just glad after the run ins they let the finish be one on one. Sadly, I also predicted the finish. Roman is getting better, but not really at selling.

Asylum was waaaay too long and I'll admit I skipped a lot of women's match because there was zero suspense in it.

Tag title actually had me think New Day might lose. Scared to see how far Vaudevillains fall now.

I don't think New Day are helping the titles (or vice versa) hanging onto them.

They're in the same place right now that I'd say Demolition were pre-WM6. They need to participate in the *chase*, or risk getting stale so quickly they'll be spinning in the warehouse trying to clearance out their merch.

Has Ryback been formally released yet?

Whenever you think your life has hit bottom, just take comfort in knowing it can't possibly be hitting as low as getting cheap heat in the Golden Corral parking lot for fat jokes and derogatory racist remarks about Mexicans.

Eden (Cody Rhodes's wife) has been offered a job outside of the WWE and has asked to be released.
WWE granted the release, weirdly mentioning that she's Cody Rhodes wife in their statement. It certainly seems it was a "Eden is leaving, Cody is frustrated, so now he has no point in staying" kind of deal. As opposed to a "Cody left so she quit because of him" thing. I dunno. Just seemed off.

I'm excited that Tuesday Night Smackdown is going to be live and that they're doing the brand split in July, but I wish it was on Thursdays or Friday's... I know they schedule their tour dates months in advance, so maybe the move to Tuesdays will be temporary until they can switch over to a better date.

Otherwise once a month we'll have a live 3 hour PPV on Sunday, a 3 hour Raw on Monday and a 2 hour Smackdown on Tuesday.

I hope this brand extension leads to good things, but I fully expect complete garbage.
Why? The WWE has been doing great things all year thus far and this makes a lot of sense. The roster they have is huge and look at recent departures with guys like Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, and Sandow all leaving the company all three of those guys would have benefited from a brand split. Smackdown hasn't been "must watch" in a very long time. I personally skim through the spoilers every week and that is usually enough Smackdown for me, but with it going live I am instantly more interested in watching and some of the greatest moments in the history of Smackdown came during the brand split era. I think the split will add more meaning to storylines and generally give talent more opportunities to shine.

Why? The WWE has been doing great things all year thus far and this makes a lot of sense.
I agree they have made improvements and the brand split with the talent is a good idea. Since Vince still has the control I fear they will deplete NXT of all the good and destroy what they have going down there and completely screw up their utilization on the main shows. Just following their historical patterns.

I'm glad Smackdown is going live but Tuesday's is a bad idea.  On PPV weekends we are talking about TEN HOURS of wrestling in a period of about 52 hours!!!  I love wrestling but that's just too fucking much.  Also I hate the brand split with an undying passion, never liked it back in the day when the roster was incredible and I still hate the idea of it now.  If there are two world titles again it will just dilute the entire thing.... if the Smackdown belt is the IC then it might have a chance to work, but that's a big IF.  

I don't know, I just see this thing going down in flames really badly.  Do we really want brand exclusive PPV's again.....?

I'm glad Smackdown is going live but Tuesday's is a bad idea. On PPV weekends we are talking about TEN HOURS of wrestling in a period of about 52 hours!!! I love wrestling but that's just too fucking much. Also I hate the brand split with an undying passion, never liked it back in the day when the roster was incredible and I still hate the idea of it now. If there are two world titles again it will just dilute the entire thing.... if the Smackdown belt is the IC then it might have a chance to work, but that's a big IF.

I don't know, I just see this thing going down in flames really badly. Do we really want brand exclusive PPV's again.....?
I dunno if Tuesday is any worse than Thursday. Either way there is too much wrestling on TV to watch in any given week regardless, but I'd more inclined to tune in for Smackdown with it being live.

I agree they have made improvements and the brand split with the talent is a good idea. Since Vince still has the control I fear they will deplete NXT of all the good and destroy what they have going down there and completely screw up their utilization on the main shows. Just following their historical patterns.
I get what you are saying, but isn't the whole purpose of NXT to get talent ready for the main roster? You can't leave these guys in NXT forever and I think by bringing in guys like Joe, Aries, Young, and Roode they are trying to fill up the NXT roster with some more name value to keep the product interesting while they continue to develop new stars.

Part of the reason I hated the brand split before was because it never built to anything. Wrestlemania should be the fucking Super Bowl - world champion vs world champion, IC vs US, tag champs defending against the top team from the other show, etc. Instead they just had separate Raw and SD main events that were rehashes of a match we had already seen plenty of times in the prior year. There's no point to keeping them apart if there's no buildup to having them finally compete.

The draft and brand swaps were handled so fucking arbitrarily. I get "suspension of disbelief." I don't get "we're going to insult your intelligence" level of writing.

We live in a world where everything is gamified and quantified, where there's like fucking fantasy . They'll need to make the split somewhat comparable to that level of thing in order to be worthwhile.

I do not remember that time period with much fondness at all.

The draft and brand swaps were handled so fucking arbitrarily. I get "suspension of disbelief." I don't get "we're going to insult your intelligence" level of writing.

We live in a world where everything is gamified and quantified, where there's like fucking fantasy <everything>. They'll need to make the split somewhat comparable to that level of thing in order to be worthwhile.

I agree that the past brand splits and drafts have left a lot to be desired, but I think now with the Network and where the company is today versus the last time they did this we will get a much better draft and the split will work out better this time around. Having both shows be live is a big step in the right direction of making Smackdown a more important show and generally more meaningful.

We live in a world where everything is gamified and quantified, where there's like fucking fantasy <everything>. They'll need to make the split somewhat comparable to that level of thing in order to be worthwhile.

Maybe they've learned from their mistakes.

....one can hope

Maybe you guys are right. I certainly hope so. Giving each show a 'necessary' feel can definitely help, and yeah - there is so much talent we don't get enough exposure to

There are two kinds of underexposed talent: those who are "special attractions" that you use to sell tickets/ppv buys - now network subscriptions (Lesnar) and the "not quite ready for prime time players" - with no pun intended towards Titus O'Neil.

Tyler Breeze, Fandango, Ascension - there's a whole litany of talent who could use the boost. If you see them now on Raw or SD, the immediate reaction is to see them as enhancement talent for whomever they're facing. I don't care for the "they deserve better" argument, but I would say the company would benefit more if fans took all talent as serious, viable threats - and also as capable in-ring performers.

I hope that they're going to build it out a bit more this time around, make it more robust and believable. They definitely have the resources to make it happen.

NXT will be fine - honestly, the brand is so over that they could survive for awhile if they tour less and use the tv show to get over guys you've never heard of (like Manny Andrade, who is fucking dooooope in the ring). They might not sell out 2K seat buildings without Joe/Aries/Nakamura, but it's not like the brand will suffer. People know it's not the end point (and actively HOPE it's not the end point) for wrestler's careers.

Andrade is fabulous, not a huge fan of the new name. Glad I've got tickets for 3 of the CWC tapings (including the final).

I could see them basically turning SD into "Super NXT" in an effort to bring the show back to life, bringing up all the darlings they've hired in the last year. Raw is going to be fine as is (not in terms of quality, just as far as people will always view it as the #1 show). Real fucking nervous at how some of these mainstay WWE writers are going to handle someone like Nakamura, though. They don't know what to do with American stars from outside (the "Club" guys may as well be the Basham Brothers at this point), so asking them to handle a star from outside who is also foreign may as well be handing them a 1000 piece Rubik's Cube.

I could see them basically turning SD into "Super NXT" in an effort to bring the show back to life, bringing up all the darlings they've hired in the last year. Raw is going to be fine as is (not in terms of quality, just as far as people will always view it as the #1 show). Real fucking nervous at how some of these mainstay WWE writers are going to handle someone like Nakamura, though.
They will handle him the same way they handle everyone else the internet likes. First you let the Miz beat him a bunch. After that team him up with R-Truth for a hilarious odd-couple tag team. After that just randomly use him until people forget about him and then release him.

I'm starting to get back into WWE thanks to WhatCulture (YT). The brand split seems to me (casual fan) pretty intriguing and exciting. Maybe becausr nostalgia, but still...

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

I Hope the product still remains as good as it has been post Wrestlemania, but otherwise the only other thing I hope from the brand split is just better travel schedules. Meaning time on the road cut in half or so because Jesus as I get older I realize I worry more and more about them getting injured or dying way too young.

Implementation is going to be key, but I think it's something that has to be done. They need to build new stars and they need to do something about injuries. Roman Reigns is a perfect example as to why you need to build up a guy as opposed to just saying this is the new John Cena, now deal with it. If they took the Cena route with Roman and he held the US Championship for a while, feuded with a veteran like JBL and then won the Championship I think people would have been much more forgiving.

Yeah he's improved, but people need to be invested in the character. I just don't think people are invested in Roman Reigns.

With regards to injuries, they can't just do fewer dates. If they did that they'd be in the red. So they'd be much better off using all the talent they have as opposed to using the same few guys for PPVs, Raw and Smackdown. It would also be nice to have different matches on Smackdown as opposed to tag team matches that are just less fun repeats of Raw matches along with some Raw Recap videos.

I also think people wrongly assume that Vince is going to be running this thing forever. Triple H did prove that he could build a brand separate from Vince's Raw / Smackdown. Since Vince is turning 71 this year, I think that he could be him taking another step in passing the torch. Hunter is in charge of hiring / firing / developing talent now, his guys are getting called up and I just have to assume that Triple H is going to be the one that will end up running Live Smackdown.

The way I see it is that the WWE Performance Center is there to get people ready for TV, NXT is where they develop talent, Smackdown will now  be used to build and create stars while Raw is still going to be the premier show.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF6r--ENTXM/

Got at least a dozen acknowledgments and one guy stopped me for a picture. Before we even left the hotel a guy stopped me "I'm shocked, I thought you were with the orphans".

Still undecided about whether to do the demon or not, did run across someone else painted up doing it, so I won't be alone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF6r--ENTXM/

Got at least a dozen acknowledgments and one guy stopped me for a picture. Before we even left the hotel a guy stopped me "I'm shocked, I thought you were with the orphans".

Still undecided about whether to do the demon or not, did run across someone else painted up doing it, so I won't be alone.
I Truly hoped you kept in character when you spoke as well.

Broken English and mediocre Spanish? Sadly I didn't, I meant to but got caught up in the moment.

https://twitter.com/wwebalor/status/736384642086014984

I am super fucking jealous of the guy I described.

It's hilarious PBR issued a cease and desist to WWE regarding Cena's new shirt

https://twitter.com/PabstBlueRibbon/status/736305632815554561/photo/1

And WWE pulled the PBR  Cena shirt and replaced it with this

07502.jpg

I think the WWE made the right decision to pull the PBR parody shirt. Schools generally have rules against beer shirts and it would be a weird situation if a grade school principal had to enforce such a policy on a second grader.

PBR being against it probably didn't help matters either.

Thanks to the one person calling you "brave", I now have that Sara Bareilles song stuck in my head. They're right, though. I can't imagine going out into a crowd of people in my underwear. That takes guts.

bread's done
Back