Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Meltzer reporting WWE knew about the violation before MITB/making the Battleground main event. How convenient that he's suspended between damn near the only two PPVs that are 5 weeks apart. :rofl:

Seeing how they handle this on TV will be fun. I think they'll just announce it, they kind of have to. Will be interesting to see if they try to play it into storylines, though.
They will definitely say something, I wouldn't be surprised if it's as soon as Smackdown. I'm interested in how./if this will effect Roman Reigns character going forward.

Read the Smackdown spoilers, main event makes it a must watch for me: Seth Rollins vs Sami Zayn. Sad that Otunga is on commentary and not Graves.

Meltzer reporting WWE knew about the violation before MITB/making the Battleground main event. How convenient that he's suspended between damn near the only two PPVs that are 5 weeks apart. :rofl:

Seeing how they handle this on TV will be fun. I think they'll just announce it, they kind of have to. Will be interesting to see if they try to play it into storylines, though.
WWE just got Meltzer Driver'd.

House show update: Ambrose is now being advertised for both shows on Sunday, Jacksonville and Orlando. Reigns was removed from Orlando and Ambrose replaced him, curious what actually happens.

Punk will get steamrolled. Mickey Gall is a beast and a raw better competitor- and about ten years younger. I see a rear naked choke finish.

FYI- punk has lost the majority of his training matches. I enjoy punk as a pro wrestle but this is just a publicity stunt to me. Hes gonna get smashed.

Am I the only the only one who is actually entertained by Tom Phillips and Corey Graves on announcing? Not in a play by play manner mind you, but just pure entertainment banter back and forth is fantastic. Like Graves research on how TM-61 have had a feud with Blake & Murphy since their days in the Thunder Dome in Australlia and Phillips trying to tell Graves that isn't a real place.

Am I the only the only one who is actually entertained by Tom Phillips and Corey Graves on announcing? Not in a play by play manner mind you, but just pure entertainment banter back and forth is fantastic. Like Graves research on how TM-61 have had a feud with Blake & Murphy since their days in the Thunder Dome in Australlia and Phillips trying to tell Graves that isn't a real place.
Completely agree, they are a great duo. I honestly think Tom is good at play-by-play as well. He impressed me a lot at the first Takeover he did commentary for, and has been pretty consistent since.

Phillips is great and Corey Graves has quickly became one of my favorite commentators anywhere right now. Really glad they gave Graves a chance at commentary after his wrestling career was sadly cut short. I was really bummed when he had to hang up the boots, I was confident that he was going to become a major player on the main roster and I think he still will it will just be at the commentary table now.

Phillips is great and Corey Graves has quickly became one of my favorite commentators anywhere right now. Really glad they gave Graves a chance at commentary after his wrestling career was sadly cut short. I was really bummed when he had to hang up the boots, I was confident that he was going to become a major player on the main roster and I think he still will it will just be at the commentary table now.

Phillips audible gasp when Graves declared that Tye Dillinger was now just a five in his book after his loss to Biff Busick (keep forgetting whatever his NXT name is now) had me more entertained than it had any right to be. But yeah they really got their characters down on commentary, though they seem to do a better job on the play by play on Takeover events as opposed to normal NXT shows, it's almost like a weird Peggy and Al Bundy with how fast their quips are in putting each other down.

Regardless it's most fun I've had listening to commentary, but it also maybe because they don't have to keep plugging Tweets from other wrestlers or what not as well.

Got to meet Kenny Omega and Xavier Woods today at CEO. I called it months ago, was bummed when Kenny said there wasn't anything else going on today, then I see a post with a screen of the CapcimFighters Twitch and hustle to the ballroom to see most of it.

After the match they did a meet and greet in the hallway, my gf got a prom picture with Xavier and totally fangirled out.

Got to meet Kenny Omega and Xavier Woods today at CEO. I called it months ago, was bummed when Kenny said there wasn't anything else going on today, then I see a post with a screen of the CapcimFighters Twitch and hustle to the ballroom to see most of it.

After the match they did a meet and greet in the hallway, my gf got a prom picture with Xavier and totally fangirled out.
They had Omega on Giant Bomb playing SFV. Turns out he's surprisingly good.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/fighting-the-streets-with-kenny-omega/2300-11385/

"14 years today, let's make it 14 more!"

tumblr_nt1x3vlCtq1tge5oqo1_400.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone notice how much Rollins grabs his knees and I'm guessing brace that's under his suit. It makes it seem like he's not fully recovered and scared to put weight on his foot. I notice he kind of walks gingerly as well.

Guessing they're going to be bringing back the World Heavyweight Championship next month.   Especially since they kept referring to Ambrose as the "WWE Champion" last night(and even their web site is listing him as that).   So don't be surprised if they bring back the classic big gold belt. 

Guessing they're going to be bringing back the World Heavyweight Championship next month. Especially since they kept referring to Ambrose as the "WWE Champion" last night(and even their web site is listing him as that). So don't be surprised if they bring back the classic big gold belt.
I would be surprised. I imagine they will have a world title that looks like the current one, only with blue instead of red on it for Smackdown!.

I would be surprised. I imagine they will have a world title that looks like the current one, only with blue instead of red on it for Smackdown!.
I like this idea if they decide to force two women's titles (despite lacking a sufficient roster) because of the red background, but I feel like that'd be real silly to change the company logo itself.

Edit: I just now realized... DOES THIS MEAN ONE OF THE SHOWS WILL GET NEW TAG BELTS?!? PLEASE LORD

I like this idea if they decide to force two women's titles (despite lacking a sufficient roster) because of the red background, but I feel like that'd be real silly to change the company logo itself.

Edit: I just now realized... DOES THIS MEAN ONE OF THE SHOWS WILL GET NEW TAG BELTS?!? PLEASE LORD
Very likely we will get two tag-team titles. I hope we get new titles for both shows too, I've never been a big fan of the current tag-team title belts. I'd honestly love to see something like the Progress tag-team championship, which is two halves of a shield that form the Progress logo when put together.
The-Origin-750x499.jpg

Meltzer is saying HHH (using that Mark guy from the WWE reality shows as the messenger) made Roman go around and apologize to everyone in the locker room before he got sent home.

Kinda torn - I've never heard of other wellness policy violations resulting in this. RVD didn't have to, and he was world (and ECW) champ at the time*. Orton wasn't champ, but he's a "top guy" and has had...what, 2 or 3 violations now? I know they changed the policy to avoid firing him (with weed just being a fine and not a suspension).

I assume they're looking at this as if it was a face of the company-level guy that was the person that committed the infraction (which is another argument completely) and think it has more potential to hurt the company. Shrug. I think just as many are glad to see him off TV for a little while.

*I know RVD's thing wasn't a "wellness violation," but similar enough. Illegal substance bust that gets picked up by the press.

I can see that happening since they spend the last two years building Roman up and THE GUY even though he clearly wasn't ready. They strapped a rocket to his back, had top talent guys put him over both in the ring and on the mic. He was protected and made to look strong against everything. Then to throw it all away with a Wellness Policy violation is a huge slap in the face and a sign of disrespect and ungratefulness. I wouldn't be surprised if Roman is knocked down to mid-card upon his return as a further punishment.

Mid-card? No way.

He's still the company's baby. I don't think you can ignore that he's who the company wants, and the company (well, Vince) will often dig their heels in deeper if their idea is rejected.

Waiting on a Cena heel turn = waiting for Godot. This is no different. Just accept it.

I'm glad someone out there feels like me, it's good to know I'm not alone on all of this. I maybe don't agree with all of it 100% but damnit it feels good for someone to put all of that in an article like that.
There's a lot of strong points, especially in just basic etiquette and manners, but I feel like it makes waaaay too many generalizations and assumptions of the fanbase. Also it's so ridiculously condescending, so there's that.

Not everyone chanting "please retire" at Big Show or telling Reigns "you still suck" are ~smarks~ or whatever- a lot of them are people who just watch the product and know what they like and what they don't. You don't have to know the inner workings of a TV show (which, it's 2016, this happens in all media now) to know that an actor is bad and not want them as part of the program.

A big point worth mentioning also is that backstage politics are a HUGE factor now in creating interest in the product where normal storylines are heavily lacking. Look at Daniel Bryan or CM Punk's respective big story arcs. Both are easily two of the most interesting and memorable storylines of the past however many years, and each were obviously influenced by backstage politics.

You kinda just gotta accept this is a part of wrestling culture. Fans have fun in different ways, without that interaction, wrestling as an art form would fall flat on its face.

I really hope this isn't legit.  Unless the end game is a massive heel turn, the Die Roman Die signs and chants should be starting.

13439010_580341588802331_3111186582699926660_n.jpg

I'm calling BS on that graphic as well as the clickbait headlines I've seen about Angle coming back Monday.

The article on crowds, holier than thou all the way. I get it, but most of the time the crowd is misbehaving because they're being triggered by something. I realize that sounds like saying the performers are asking for it, which is shitty, I mean that there's generally an underlying cause to them being dicks.

I really hope this isn't legit. Unless the end game is a massive heel turn, the Die Roman Die signs and chants should be starting.

This redemption angle will probably make the people who already dislike him dislike him more. It just seems like pandering. Oh well he'll have a belt on his waist again by summerslam.

About the crowds discussion, there's a huge difference between showing your anger/boredom/indifference in a respectful manner and just plain being a disruptive asshole. The funny thing about "smart" crowds to me is they are supposed to be the ones that love the business and understand it so well and yet if anyone does a rest hold or two guys try to actually have a technical match they shit all over it. It's like every flip in a match adds 1/4* of which are then tallied at the end of the match lol. The logic of people like this truly escapes me, if you don't like it WHY WATCH IT? Seriously maybe it's not for you anymore, why go to a show to shit on all but like two wrestlers?

I was reading some of the other blogs on that site and man do I agree with a lot of it, maybe I'm just out of touch and too old school in these thoughts (similar to JR you could say I suppose) but some of this stuff just bothers me. If I had a kid I wouldn't even take them to a wrestling event today, people say and chant things that are really awful and stuff I wouldn't want a kid to hear. I know this isn't new, it was this way during the Attitude Era but I think the key difference is the product was marketed that way; brash, raw, dirty, ect. Today the product is supposed to be family friendly but many fans don't care or don't seem to understand that.

If I had a kid I wouldn't even take them to a wrestling event today, people say and chant things that are really awful and stuff I wouldn't want a kid to hear.
Examples? I'm genuinely curious, as I can't really think of what this might entail. I generally only go to shows in California and Chicago, though, so I suppose there might be a regional difference.

I've heard my fair share of things at indie shows that have taken me aback, but that's a much different environment. Never really experienced anything like that at a WWE show.

Examples? I'm genuinely curious, as I can't really think of what this might entail. I generally only go to shows in California and Chicago, though, so I suppose there might be a regional difference.

I've heard my fair share of things at indie shows that have taken me aback, but that's a much different environment. Never really experienced anything like that at a WWE show.
Mostly just guys calling the women whores/sluts and general other really absurd language you hear from drunk people. For the record I say this not just in regard to pro wrestling crowds but any major sporting events really. I'm surprised you've never heard any bad things in Chicago lol, almost all of my major sporting events have been in the city and some of the things drunks yell out are just ridiculous. There have only been a handful of cases where crowd CHANTS have been beyond awful. Wasn't here a RAW a while back where there was a big mixed tag match and the crowd was chanting something insinuating the women all blowing the men or something? I know I'm not making this up I just don't remember the exact chant or situation in which it was used.

It was a divas tag match last year sometime. Something along the lines of them all blowing their partners. The You Suck Cena directed towards Nikki was the loudest.

I really hope this isn't legit. Unless the end game is a massive heel turn, the Die Roman Die signs and chants should be starting.

Wow, good thing my WWE Network subscription expired today.

Honestly, I got it a year ago so I could watch King of the Ring. I'll probably re-activate it around Summerslam next month or the Royal Rumble next year.

Mostly just guys calling the women whores/sluts and general other really absurd language you hear from drunk people. For the record I say this not just in regard to pro wrestling crowds but any major sporting events really. I'm surprised you've never heard any bad things in Chicago lol, almost all of my major sporting events have been in the city and some of the things drunks yell out are just ridiculous. There have only been a handful of cases where crowd CHANTS have been beyond awful. Wasn't here a RAW a while back where there was a big mixed tag match and the crowd was chanting something insinuating the women all blowing the men or something? I know I'm not making this up I just don't remember the exact chant or situation in which it was used.
Drunk people yelling random profane things is more in line with general alcohol+sports culture than anything "smart fan" related - but lord knows venues would never stop selling crappy beer at $10 a pop no matter how many kids are there. That "you suck X" chant the night after 'Mania was something else entirely, though. I'll give you that. I could argue that is more indicative a larger non-wrestling issue, but either way it's blatantly disrespectful to the performers and unacceptable.

Beyond that though, I guess I just don't see the reasoning behind ranting and raving about internet wrestling fans (on the internet), as if they're somehow what's wrong with wrestling these days. People are just annoyed because of the product, not because they suddenly were imbued with millennial entitlement.

Good news everyone, the Roman doc has been debunked.

The only shitty chant at the house show I went to last week was a brief CM Punk for some reason, but it got booed down pretty fast. 

Nice, going to the draft show. Probably not much action, but it'll certainly be interesting.

bread's done
Back