Professor Layton

Played only four puzzles and it's exactly my kind of game. It looks like Phoenix Wright beat out this in character development and probably story, but I'm loving the atmosphere and anime cutscenes that don't make me want to barf. It looks like the game is focused on the puzzles rather than story because I've encountered four on the way to the first location you need to go to. Never played hotel dusk beyond the demo on the DS download station, but this looks better.

So far the puzzles are like brain teasers, but I'd imagine they get more complex. Wifi emblem on the box, what is it for?

Wifi is for downloadable content, just like the extra downloadable puzzles Nintendo's been doing for Picross DS. It says right on the back of the box for Layton that they'll be adding new downloadable puzzles through wifi every week.

It took me forever to figure out that downloadable puzzle. I'm kind of mad at myself, because that's an old problem my dad gave us a long time ago to figure out, and my younger brother remembered it and finished it right away. I accidentally saw his answer and ruined it for myself. But, yeah, it was hard... just remember you can rotate the matches.

[quote name='DarkKnightCecil']Just beat the game, LOVED IT![/QUOTE]

That was fast! I did a couple of puzzle and I really enjoy the game so far.

Ok, so...

My local Wal-Mart had them out on Thursday (the 7th) and the computer wouldn't let them sell them. I went in at Midnight on Sunday to get the Cobalt DS and this game, and now they can't seem to find what they did with the games after they pulled them out of the case... :roll: :applause:

[quote name='62t']how long did that took you[/quote]
About 11 and a half hours to beat the game with 95(?) puzzles.

I'm going back to beat all 120 puzzles right now.

Just beat all 120 puzzles in the main game (haven't done the rooms yet), finished the Gizmo, made the rooms perfect, and put the painting together.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

According to IGN the follow-up is already on the way to North America for release, and there's some sort of 'link" in the Curious Village to the future sequel.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/851/851314p1.html

Professor Layton Sequel Forthcoming?
This week's game release is wide-open for a follow-up.
by Craig Harris

February 11, 2008 - Professor Layton and the Curious Village, as of this writing, has just been released to stores, and there's already buzz on a sequel on the way.

Keen-eye Chris Kohler of the Gamelife blog notes that, in the final retail build sent out to reviewers late last week, it's mentioned in the instruction manual that there will be some sort of link from Curious Village to a future sequel.

According to the manual:

"There's even a surprise feature that involves the sequel to Professor Layton and the Curious Village!"

Professor Layton is already in three volumes in Japan. The follow-up to Curious Village in Japan is Professor Layton and the Devil's Box, and this mention in the Curious Village manual all but confirms the next game is on the way in the US.

In the game, in the "Bonus" section there is a thing that says Hidden Door. You have to type in a password into it. The game says the password comes from the sequel.

I cant buy this until I beat some of the games I have.... thats motivation for sure. I think the only game I am going to break that rule for is SSMB.

I just beat the game, took me just over 10 hours. I'm not done though as I only finished 100/120 puzzles(and some of those ones that are left are going to have me thinking for awhile).

Anyone else having trouble downloading puzzles with this? I can't get it to work. The connection tests just fine, and I've never had problems downloading puzzles on Picross.

It seems quite an amount of Prof. layton's are doing that.
However, mine is doing fine.

Also, in total there are 135 puzzles, you get an additional 12 from completeing the game, completing the Gizmo, making the rooms completely suitable to both heroes, and recreating the painting. After you solve those 12, you get 3 more.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just about every puzzle I beat now causes me to facepalm because they all revolve around some stupid trick.[/quote]

They really are. I'm having to break out the Hori DS stand for this, since some of the puzzles take so long for me to solve that both my arms would get tired from holding the DS, before I even get the right answer.

Anyone having problems downloading the weekly bonus puzzles? I can connect, but the download progress bar gets to 75% or so and then dumps me back to the bonus menu. I don't have a problem connecting to WFC on other DS (or Wii) games.

[quote name='eugaet']Anyone having problems downloading the weekly bonus puzzles? I can connect, but the download progress bar gets to 75% or so and then dumps me back to the bonus menu. I don't have a problem connecting to WFC on other DS (or Wii) games.[/QUOTE]

Same problem. (FWIW, I know there are a number of threads on the gamefaqs boards complaining about this issue as well.)

[quote name='Jayayess1190']I am bad at this game. I am already stuck at puzzle #6! :cry::shock:

Looked on gamefaqs and got the answer.[/QUOTE]

You don't use the in-game hints?

[quote name='bjkrautk']Same problem. (FWIW, I know there are a number of threads on the gamefaqs boards complaining about this issue as well.)[/quote]Glad to know I'm not the only one. I checked the threads on GameFAQs...someone said a Nintendo CSR told them it was a problem w/ the puzzle and are working to get it fixed.

[quote name='eugaet']I checked the threads on GameFAQs...someone said a Nintendo CSR told them it was a problem w/ the puzzle and are working to get it fixed.[/quote]there are so many red flags signalling questionable veracity going up when i read this.

I think I'm picking this up today as well. I was going to wait for a deal, but I've been desperately looking for something to pull me away from NY Times Crosswords (that game makes me feel so dumb and unproductive).

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I think I'm picking this up today as well. I was going to wait for a deal, but I've been desperately looking for something to pull me away from NY Times Crosswords (that game makes me feel so dumb and unproductive).[/QUOTE]

If you get it from Best Buy don't forget the 10% off coupon!

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Check out the Penny Arcade comic today.... :D

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/02/13[/quote]That was hilarious, thanks for the link (haven't been to PA in years).

I'm enjoying it so far (a friend at noa sent me a copy) and the puzzles are good. The intro reminded me of My Neighor Totoro (only the style and the fact that the old car was driving along through the fields) and that put me in a happy mood right off the bat.

I was hoping for the puzzles having a more direct corrolation to the story, but it is what it is.

What's everyone's favorite/least favorite puzzle so far?

I forget which puzzle I really enjoyed, but I did not like the 8-pointed black dot/red dot puzzle. I made a little 8-pointed with a red dot on one side and the black dot on the other and it didn't give me the answer the game wanted.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Do you get to keep the downloaded puzzles on the cart, or are they like demo station content?[/QUOTE]
They stay on the cart.

Finished this last night. I cheated like crazy on the last puzzle, and some of the bonus puzzles.

I'm taking my time. I believe I'm on chapter 3 w/ about 40 puzzles solved so far (no hints...trying to see how far I get w/o hints...either I complete the game w/o hints...or I don't finish it...yeah, I'm hella stubborn).

Still no access to the DLC, though. :(

Started this....roughly 2 hours ago.

Oh mein gott.

This is one of the most charming games I have ever played in my entire life. And coming from an increasingly jaded gamer, that's something to revel in. I just have this huge smile on my face the entire time.

Let me put it this way. I'd understand if someone didn't like the game.

But I'd challenge the existence of their soul.

Edit: Yes, Miss Gwen. I like games with nice protagonists, too. Since you probably thought I didn't. Jerk.

Somehow, the stars aligned properly for me last night, and I was actually able to get the DLC. I had been trying every day since Sunday.

(It took me longer to get the puzzle than to complete it.)

Still really enjoying the game, but I'm afraid I'm going to finish it inside of a week.

I was able to download the weekly puzzle last night as well, first try. Maybe they got the issue resolved? Anyway, yeah...spent 5 days trying to download it, 15 minutes to solve. In my defense, I've only been playing this game at the end of the day after 8+ hours of work and then another 6-7 hours of whatever else the day throws at me, so my brain is pretty dead at that point...otherwise, I probably would have solved it faster. ;)

[quote name='keithp']If you get it from Best Buy don't forget the 10% off coupon![/QUOTE]I didn't, but my fiance did. Since he was free for the day, I sent him to go get it with a Best Buy gift card I had, and even though I sent him the link, he was too lazy to print it out. (He's clearly not a cheap ass like me.) That boy drives me insane; I made sure to nag him about it for 10 minutes :p

[quote name='guinaevere']The intro reminded me of My Neighor Totoro (only the style and the fact that the old car was driving along through the fields) and that put me in a happy mood right off the bat.[/QUOTE] The style does remind me a bit of Studio Ghibli. It's very... quaint. I'm impressed with the presentation, and the voice acting is great.

I'm around 13 puzzles in, but I'm playing with my fiance (not by choice). It's a good bedtime play-until-I-pass-out game so far. We got all the puzzles correct so far, but we messed around a lot with the one with the weights (puzzle 6?) so I think I lost a bunch of points with that one. I'm surprised it doesn't change the lightest weight with each reset.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']It's a good bedtime play-until-I-pass-out game so far.[/quote]Heh, that's exactly how I'm playing it. :)

I've been breathing Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the whole week. I'm about 102 puzzles in and I'm itching to get off work to play.

I do wonder about the secret door, as noted on the last page of the instruction book.

bread's done
Back